Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Diagnosed with MTB.

Gemini Lights TITAN LED and XERA LED (2012)

Greetings from Gemini Lights,

Due to an incoming large number of CREE XM-L units in prep for 2012, we've upgraded our TITAN LED to the XM-L. The SSC-P7 version will still be available for a limited time as we have few remaining stock left. The new beam pattern remains relatively the same with a smoother transition between hotspot and spill.

Please note there hasn't been any change in prices.

We're also bringing you a new helmet light called XERA. It's minimal, light weight and aims to be a contender against the wonderful Piko. We've used Lupine's light as the benchmark for quality and performance. For those who love adjustments, XERA is fully programmable in the 4 modes given.

XERA is available from September 25th onwards.
    Last edited by Gemini Lights; 09-15-2011 at 02:28 AM.

Got a suspension fork
    Would be nice to see a few pictures of the Xera.

How does the new Titan XML perform compared to the P7 version. And is the beam spot, flood, or something in between.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

Diagnosed with MTB.
    Randy,

Pictures of XERA will be available in a few days and they will be up on our website as well as here.

The new TITAN XM-L performs better than the P7-D. There is about a 23% increase in brightness and maintains the same runtime of 4hrs 10 mins on High. The beam pattern has an intense hotspot at 12 beam angle with soft edges. Outside of the hotspot has a very even light spill. I do think pictures are worth more than words, so I will include beam shots of the TITAN and XERA too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Lights View Post
    Randy,

Pictures of XERA will be available in a few days and they will be up on our website as well as here.

The new TITAN XM-L performs better than the P7-D. There is about a 23% increase in brightness and maintains the same runtime of 4hrs 10 mins on High. The beam pattern has an intense hotspot at 12 beam angle with soft edges. Outside of the hotspot has a very even light spill. I do think pictures are worth more than words, so I will include beam shots of the TITAN and XERA too.
    Okay, sounds promising.. Can't wait to see what this XERA looks like. The fact that it is using XM-L emitters and offering different mode options is most interesting. If it has a compact form factor it could be a big seller. My trigger finger is now set on pause.

I'm also glad to see that you aren't getting rid of the Titan P-7 D's. While I'm sure the new Titan XM-L version is brighter, the narrow beam pattern might not be everyone's cup of tea. I still feel the P-7 versions offer a better over-all beam pattern for bar use. Since the Titans were using the D-bin they looked to be much brighter than the standard MS light heads.

Anyway, the fact that the new XM-L version is even brighter than your benchmark P-7 D's, ...well....you're likely to sell a bunch of those I'm sure. Especially when you consider that they are standard with 4 modes ( 3 steady state ) and that you are still selling these with your 5200 mAh battery. For people who weren't around last year, the Titan battery was dissected and tested by one of the forum posters ( Baker I believe ) and was found to be of very high quality. ( *Please note , I have no relationship with Gemini and I don't own any of their light sets...yet. ).

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    We're also bringing you a new helmet light called XERA. It's minimal, light weight and aims to be a contender against the wonderful Piko. We've used Lupine's light as the benchmark for quality and performance. For those who love adjustments, XERA is fully programmable in the 4 modes given.

XERA is available from September 25th onwards.
    Is this a single XML light? And does it use a reflector or a lens?

Diagnosed with MTB.

New XERA LED Light System

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    My trigger finger is now set on pause. ...
    Haha, that made me laugh a little... do you need another light already? Well I guess night riding season is coming soon, so you're forgiven.

As promised.. here are pictures of the new XERA. We haven't even put them up on our website yet.

@Langen, it is a single XM-L in a very small package fitted with a custom lens we made. Beam angle is 18 and the pattern is absolutely beautiful. We will get pictures of the XERA helmet mounted and bar mounted tomorrow or the day after.

Link to XERA's page.

Enjoy.

Diagnosed with MTB.
    To get a better picture on size, here is a crude shot. And please... excuse the awesome purple color.

And a rough idea on weight.

There you have it!

mtbr member
    Haha, that made me laugh a little... do you need another light already? Well I guess night riding season is coming soon, so you're forgiven.

As promised.. here are pictures of the new XERA. We haven't even put them up on our website yet.

@Langen, it is a single XM-L in a very small package fitted with a custom lens we made. Beam angle is 18 and the pattern is absolutely beautiful. We will get pictures of the XERA helmet mounted and bar mounted tomorrow or the day after.

]
    Does a junkie need more crack?......

Looks like the XERA is using an optic. I find this interesting but I'm a bit skeptical because the photos show the outer lens on the optic is designed for dispersion, hence the claimed 18 degree beam pattern angle. Now if this had been designed for bar use I would be all for it but anything using a full dispersion optic or lens will have diminished throw. Not exactly what you want for a helmet lamp. I have a feeling the useful throw on trails will be limited to about 75-100ft... but I do hope I'm wrong about that.

Just to let you know, I already use a couple XM-L powered helmet lights that have beam patterns that are wider than I would normally like to use. ( very hard to find tight optics for the XML ) -> (...which is why I am always looking for something better. ) Admittedly they do very well in lighting up the trail but there are times I could wish for a more narrow beam pattern ( on the helmet ) to increase throw especially in conditions that are more wet.

Anyway, I'm not dissing your product. I hope it rocks. Hopefully these will be available as "light head only" for people who already have batteries and mounts ( as price is a bit much@ $150). Now if the XERA can out throw my Geoman MS808E (XM-L) lamp head ( $55...lamp head only ) I will most certainly tip my hat to the Gemini XERA designers.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 09-15-2011 at 03:17 AM.

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    To get a better picture on size, here is a crude shot. And please... excuse the awesome purple color.

Is this the Xera also? Does it mean you can have it in both a lens and a reflector version?? A reflector version would be kick-ass!

Diagnosed with MTB.

Beamshots

@Langen

Yes it is also XERA, donning a purple color. We developed a reflector but decided to use the custom optics because it created the best usable beam pattern. We didn't really prefer the huge wide spill that reflectors give, and we found it was a waste of light. In the beam shots below, you can see that the reflectors in the first two pictures have lots of spill. The outermost halo ends far beyond the frame's edges, almost at 80. You may also compare how our logo looks on each image.

Beam shots as requested, managed in a convenient GIF for you..

Points go to people who can guess what each silhouette of light is.

Any more requests or queries, please forward them my way. I would be happy to answer your thoughts.

Chris

mtbr member

Points go to people who can guess what each silhouette of light is.

....Any more requests or queries, please forward them my way. I would be happy to answer your thoughts.

Chris
    After the squarish ( Piko?).....old Titan P-7.... newTitan XM-L.... new XERA

Will any of these be available as "light head only"?

Diagnosed with MTB.
    You're almost correct. Our beam chart participants:

1) Magicshine MJ-808 P7
    2) TITAN XM-L
    3) XERA
    4) Lupine Piko 3 (550 lumens)

I'll adjust the pictures with names.

Yes, the XERA will be available as a light head only option and the TITAN XM-L is available now.

mtbr member
    Your TITAN XML is very smooth and that XERA is insane smokes that Piko. I just might have to try that one out. are you ever going to get a US distributor so we don't get hammered on shipping thats the only thing that sours me on it. $22 bucks to ship to California ouch.
    Last edited by Rakuman; 09-15-2011 at 10:09 PM.
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman View Post
    Your TITAN XML is very smooth and that XERA is insane smokes that Piko. I just might have to try that one out. are you ever going to get a US distributor so we don't get hammered on shipping thats the only thing that sours me on it. $22 bucks to ship to California ouch.
    Would be nice to see it compared to the 750 Piko. And ditto the shipping fee.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Your TITAN XML is very smooth and that XERA is insane smokes that Piko. I just might have to try that one out. are you ever going to get a US distributor so we don't get hammered on shipping that the only thing that sours me on it. $22 bucks to ship to California ouch.
    The XERA does look like a nice little light. Rakuman, if you get one let me know how it compares to the 808E. The wall shot is impressive but than again these are wall shots. Can't judge throw or over-all beam pattern with wall shots. Still, with that optic most of the light is condensed and forward throwing. It would be real interesting to see how this type of beam pattern looks on actual outdoor terrain. ( hint, hint )

A few more questions for Gemini:
    Run time for the XERA is listed at 2.5hrs. Is this on high with the 2-cell battery or 4?
    Is there a discount for pre-orders?
    How much for the light head only?

Diagnosed with MTB.
    Thanks very much for the comments. We've worked really hard on these lights and its nice to receive feedback like this.

We are currently working on US distribution. I am a regular consumer, so I understand your point of view on shipping. Our DHL shipping service is partly subsidized and what you see is basically the best rates they have given us minus a buck or two. We have integrated the free shipping option when you purchase over $299, so I highly recommend rider groups or friends buy together.

What I'm most excited about, and can't really show you... is the programming we've done to our driver boards. It's truly amazing. Very self intuitive, I would almost place bets that everyone of you will be able to figure out how to use it without reading the user manual (that includes, going into programming mode, adjusting the brightness and mode sequence, flash mode and factory reset function). It's one button, really simple and so effective.

Diagnosed with MTB.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    The XERA

A few more questions for Gemini:
    Run time for the XERA is listed at 2.5hrs. Is this on high with the 2-cell battery or 4?
    Is there a discount for pre-orders?
    How much for the light head only?
    2 cell pack. A 2.5 hour burner with 4 cells would be seriously inefficient, and we'd have to go back to the drawing board! But thanks for pointing that out. I will clarify the product specifications.

Discount for pre-orders? So you mean a discount on a discounted product?

Well, we can do free shipping for pre-orders on XERA. (Since shipping is such a hot topic!)

And I think you should get a rep point from everyone who gets this deal now.

Light head will only be available after the 25th.

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    @Langen

Yes it is also XERA, donning a purple color. We developed a reflector but decided to use the custom optics because it created the best usable beam pattern. We didn't really prefer the huge wide spill that reflectors give, and we found it was a waste of light.
    I prefer reflectors over lenses myself - I guess it's a "some like the mother, and others like the daughter"-kinda thing

Would it be possible to sell the reflector as a loose item, and let the user swap between the lens and the reflector? Or was the reflector beam pattern really that bad?

edit: A beam pattern along the lines of Magicshine or (even better) Titan would be very good in my book.

Diagnosed with MTB.
    Quote Originally Posted by langen View Post
    I prefer reflectors over lenses myself - I guess it's a "some like the mother, and others like the daughter"-kinda thing

Would it be possible to sell the reflector as a loose item, and let the user swap between the lens and the reflector? Or was the reflector beam pattern really that bad?
    Best analogy ever. Where do you go for your stand-up!

We're still tweaking the reflector design and it may be available in the future as an accessory. It depends on the outcome of the beam pattern. To best describe the pattern we had, we noted lots of spillage and a very, very intense tight spot with little fade transition around it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    2 cell pack. A 2.5 hour burner with 4 cells would be seriously inefficient, and we'd have to go back to the drawing board! But thanks for pointing that out. I will clarify the product specifications.

Discount for pre-orders? So you mean a discount on a discounted product?

Well, we can do free shipping for pre-orders on XERA. (Since shipping is such a hot topic!)

And I think you should get a rep point from everyone who gets this deal now.

Light head will only be available after the 25th.
    What about a discount for picking up in person?

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    We're still tweaking the reflector design and it may be available in the future as an accessory. It depends on the outcome of the beam pattern. To best describe the pattern we had, we noted lots of spillage and a very, very intense tight spot with little fade transition around it.
    I agree that the pattern you describe does not sound very usable for biking.. Hope you manage to tweak into something useful though!

I am *this* close from pulling the trigger on the Xera..

edit: One more thing: I really think you should include dimensions and weigth for the lighthead on your website. I think this is a really strong selling point for the Xera

Diagnosed with MTB.
    Quote Originally Posted by langen View Post
    I agree that the pattern you describe does not sound very usable for biking.. Hope you manage to tweak into something useful though!

I am *this* close from pulling the trigger on the Xera..

edit: One more thing: I really think you should include dimensions and weigth for the lighthead on your website. I think this is a really strong selling point for the Xera
    We are hoping as well. We understand that different users have different tastes, and that it may even work better in some applications. We like flexibility and choices.

And thanks for the suggestion.

I can't believe I forgot to mention.. and I think its definitely something I should've done. Gemini Lights has a 14 day trial period by default. Go read about it in our FAQ! If you change your mind in the 2 weeks of receiving it, send it back to us and we refund you the total amount including our DHL courier fee. You only risk paying one way return fees to us and you can use the cheapest method. And if you haven't already, you might want to read about our company too. Get to know us.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Gemini

Regard the Xera, any thoughts to providing a tinted lens in red or green. Looks like the Xera would make a great head/helmet type light for hunters. Just need either a red or green beam for entering the woods in the wee morning hours.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Also.....the Xera would make a great tail light for night time road riding. So again a red lens would be great.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris View Post
    Would be nice to see it compared to the 750 Piko. And ditto the shipping fee.
    Yes, I'd also (really) like to see it compared to the 750 piko which would be more fair than the 550 version.

The Piko is more than twice the price but I need a light reliable headlamp for night trail running, XC skiing, snowshowing and hiking and the Piko is proven. XERA is very light with nice beam spread for my purposes besides mtn. biking, good price so this is tough choice.

Also compared to the Magic Shine 808E XM-L would be nice

Kind of concerned also you're taking pre orders and still working out the final optic setups. Nice offer on the free shipping though.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast