Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Action LED Lights View Post
    I think to really see the effect on throw you need to aim the beam higher at something farther away that's hard to see with the optic. The bottles in these photos are easily illuminated either way.
    Agreed. I always wonder why beam shots to "show throw" are taken with the beam pointed at the ground instead of at distant objects.

just a Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Agreed. I always wonder why beam shots to "show throw" are taken with the beam pointed at the ground instead of at distant objects.
    That's a good question in which I cannot find a standard definition. In one aspect, the aim of the throw from the light can be use to light thing up on a level line of sight. Here I can see this being useful for wilderness trail riding to avoid branches overhead. OTOH, the throw for a high speed roadie downhill decent is aimed downward pointed at the ground for portholes and other debris.

Most beamshot photo I have seen usually illustrate the beam pattern showing the spread and illumination of the beam pattern on an object at a distant aimed in a way that most typical user will most likely aimed their lights. However, that really does not show the true capabilities of the throw.

So this kind of raises a question for a more standard or generic method of beamshot photo. There is so much different offerings of Led lights that can be used in so many different ways that perhaps beamshot photo should include multiple photo for each light tested. Maybe one photo showing the aim of an object at 100ft on the ground and a second photo aimed level at a wall (tree, car, ...etc) at say something like 200ft or greater?

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen c View Post

....Most beamshot photo I have seen usually illustrate the beam pattern showing the spread and illumination of the beam pattern on an object at a distant aimed in a way that most typical user will most likely aimed their lights. However, that really does not show the true capabilities of the throw.

So this kind of raises a question for a more standard or generic method of beamshot photo. There is so much different offerings of Led lights that can be used in so many different ways that perhaps beamshot photo should include multiple photo for each light tested. Maybe one photo showing the aim of an object at 100ft on the ground and a second photo aimed level at a wall (tree, car, ...etc) at say something like 200ft or greater?

Thoughts?
    When it comes to doing beam photos I think you have to consider all the lights you are comparing and then set the distance markers appropriately. You also need flat ground so you get an even beam spread. Then make sure you have the markers spaced so that they show the limitations of all the lamps included. Not many lamps give "useable throw" to 200 ft. but if you have one that you think will reach 200ft. than you need markers at 150ft. and 200ft. and maybe one at 225ft. Having a progression of distance markers is very helpful when viewing photos but they need to be big enough to be picked up by the camera at a distance. A 20 oz. soda bottle works fine up to about 100ft but beyond that you might need to use the 1 liter size. Regardless, cameras have a hard time picking up objects when doing night photos. Say what you will about settings , it is not an exact science.

Action LED Lights
    The exact science takes a beam and shines it at a screen and then using light meter with a small pickup and, starting at the center of the beam, measures the intensity in lux at intervals moving out from center, both horizontally and vertically. The results are then plotted as lux vs angle.

Here's an graph that shows the idea (though this would be a terrible bike light)

This is a bare LED and just shows relative output, not lux.

If the graph has a narrow peak at the center with high intensity it's a thrower. If it's a wide peak extending out to +/- 10˚-15˚ (from center) it's a flood.
    This test is part of the ANSI FL1 flashlight test standard. Like measuring lumen with a integrating sphere, it gives a true comparison. It takes a test lab to do it and you have to know how to read the graph, but light manufactures are starting to use it.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

Action LED Lights
    Anyone interested in a good layman's explanation of the FL1 standard can find it here
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

Gemini Lights

Prototype Optics Tested

We've just come back from a field test for our Prototype 14° Optics. We're pretty convinced it is awesome and we are officially going ahead with the development to make it available for everyone.

See for yourself. Same MTBR settings (F4, 6s, ISO100, Daylight).
    Distance markers: First lamp post 30m, second lamp post 60m, third lamp post 90m, white security camera post 100m, large tree at the end to the left 107m. Paved path 5.5m across.

Say what you will, the prototype optics throws incredibly far. There is decent spill directly infront of the light as well. The prototype 14° spot seems to be a mixture of Xera optics and Xera reflector.

Could Xera be the most versatile light on the market?

Gemini Lights
    Lastly, here is the Animated GIF file for the 3 images together. I apologize for the slow loading, it is 1.3MB large and available for download here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Lights View Post
    The prototype 14° spot seems to be a mixture of Xera optics and Xera reflector.
    That is the optic you need to make for the Olympia
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I second that! Olympia could make a powerful yet light weight helmet light with a little more throw.

Quote Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
    That is the optic you need to make for the Olympia
    Last edited by butasan; 03-09-2012 at 11:32 AM.

just a Newbie
    Got a chance to test the new 14 degree test optic. It does throw farther than the standard reflector and the regular optic. There is a lot less spill in comparison with the standard reflector. I took some beamshot at a telepone pole that is 150ft with all three optics before the rain storm arrived. The picture came out a little blury because it is really windy outside. My tripod was being shaken by the wind. Next chance for some better shot will probably be this weekend after several rain front passes. So far I like the new 14 degree prototype optic over both the standard optic and the older reflector. Sorry for the bad picture, but I will get better shot soon.

Xera new 14 degree prototype optic pictures by Colleenlc - Photobucket
    Last edited by colleen c; 03-13-2012 at 06:53 AM. Reason: corrected 14degree reflector = 14 degree prototype optic

Gemini Lights
    ...So far I like the new 14 degree reflector over both the optic and the older reflector. Sorry for the bad picture, but I will get better shot soon. Here what I got so far:

Xera new reflector pictures by Colleenlc - Photobucket
    Hi Colleen,

I believe you may have a typo. The prototype is a 14° optic, not a reflector. In your photobucket gallery, it also says new reflector.

Glad to hear you like the new prototype 14° optics.. we are going into production with these. Give us about 3 weeks.

night riding enthusiast
    Hi Colleen,

I believe you may have a typo. The prototype is a 14° optic, not a reflector. In your photobucket gallery, it also says new reflector.

Glad to hear you like the new prototype 14° optics.. we are going into production with these. Give us about 3 weeks.
    When you say 14° optics, do you mean plus -7° on either side of the centre beam or do you mean a 28° optic?
    Click the thumbs up button if you have a thumb...

Gemini Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by GraXXoR View Post
    When you say 14° optics, do you mean plus -7° on either side of the centre beam or do you mean a 28° optic?
    The prototype has FWHM = 14° which is ± 7° from the center.

just a Newbie
    Hi Colleen,

Thanks for pointing that out. I corrected the title in the album and post.

I took my first ride with the 14 degree prototype optic today. I notice up close it has a softer edge on the spot than the old reflector while still retain a throw. On a 30 mph downhill, I did not noticed much of a difference but did see a difference at slower speed.

Most noticable is that or produces a small beam of light projected above my helmet where it is mounted. It has that sort of "light Saber" beam where the standard optic did not have and the old reflector was milder. The difference of this prototype vs the older reflector is subtle and probably only noticable at slower speed which is best used for dirt or trail.

The beam at 5ft on a white wall revealed a spill of only 3-4 ft diameter for the prototype optic while the old reflector had about at least an eight ft diameter spill although the spill is not very bright.

mtbr member

I took my first ride with the 14 degree prototype optic today. I notice up close it has a softer edge on the spot than the old reflector while still retain a throw. On a 30 mph downhill, I did not noticed much of a difference but did see a difference at slower speed.

Most noticable is that or produces a small beam of light projected above my helmet where it is mounted. It has that sort of "light Saber" beam where the standard optic did not have and the old reflector was milder. The difference of this prototype vs the older reflector is subtle and probably only noticable at slower speed which is best used for dirt or trail.

I think as far as optics go, this is about as good as you're going to get. The only other thing that could beat it now would be a better reflector and at the current size of the lamp I don't think that is going to happen. Colleen, I know you haven't had it long but would you say the new optic is giving you 150 ft. of "useable" throw? Would be really nice to see a standard terrain beam shot with 150ft. distance marker.

just a Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    I think as far as optics go, this is about as good as you're going to get. The only other thing that could beat it now would be a better reflector and at the current size of the lamp I don't think that is going to happen. Colleen, I know you haven't had it long but would you say the new optic is giving you 150 ft. of "useable" throw? Would be really nice to see a standard terrain beam shot with 150ft. distance marker.
    I agree, I too think with the current size of the diameter and depth of the light, this is about as good as it get.

At 100ft, the spot is very useable. At about 150ft, thing gets iffy. For projection on the road such as blacktop road, the lumens is lost and absorb rather quickly. For shining at tree along side of the road, houses driveway, or across a 6 lane road, it does Ok. I would suspect it will do better on dense growth on the trail than it does on the public road.

Beyond 150ft, thing dimish rather quickly. There is just not enough Lux hitting the object to get a good light on the subject. For example, last night I tried to shined a garbage dumpster that was about 200ft away down the street in my neighborhood. I know the distant was 200ft because I paced it out earlier before the beamshot. The dumpster was green color and there was some ambient light from the street light. The Xera with the new prototype cannot hit it with clarity for me to defined it as a dumpster. OTOH, out in the open space such as that park where I took my beamshot of the other lights, The ambient light is very little and the Xera with the old Reflector can cast out just enough light on a tree at 200ft to show there is a tree there..... dim but useable. I have yet to try the new prototype optic to see how much of a difference there is at that same spot.

mtbr member
    The prototype has FWHM = 14° which is ± 7° from the center.
    So when do you think these will be available?

Gemini Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroRC Ed View Post
    So when do you think these will be available?
    About 2.5 weeks

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks again to Gemini Lights for sending me one of the prototype 14* optics. I got to play with it a little tonight and it is a winner.

The photos in posts 706 and 707 accurately depict what my old eyes see. A smaller hot spot with slightly better throw and less light to bounce back from close in objects on tight singletrack (hurting your distance vision). I don't see the big increase in intensity shown in colleen c's photos but in all fairness I don't have any greenery to shine the lights on at this time of year...just leaf covered trails and open woods.

I didn't like the reflector at all because I felt it took light away from the hot spot and spread it into the spill area while adding nothing to throw. The new 14* optic compresses the light into a smaller hot spot slightly increasing it's intensity and does not add to the spill area.

Large tree trunks are easily seen at 200' and beyond.

I am a fan of the original 16* optic and this new 14* as well. I'm glad I have both, because I wouldn't want to have to choose between the two.

Short version...If you want a tighter beam then the original with a bit better throw, the 14* optic is a winner.

All fat, all the time.
    Hey all,

Here is my initial review of the new 14° optics. Chris & team, thanks for sending me one

I have been using a pair of the Xera's with stock lenses for the past few months. I run one on the bars with a 4 cell, and one on helmet with 2 cell.

I put the new 14° optic in my helmet mounted light & went out for a 20 mile night ride at BCSP last night. First thoughts, I hope they don't want this back, because I'm not letting it go
    This really makes the bar/helmet combo shine. The long narrow throw lit up the trail farther than I imagined it would. There were a few downhill sections that I have never gone so fast on because my old lights just didn't illuminate the trail far enough. This new lens solved that problem.

One thing I noticed is I never had to turn the helmet light up to high like before, since the light was so concentrated, I left it on medium, aimed farther down the trail it worked very well.

It might take some getting used to if this was the only light/lens you had, as the edges aren't as smooth as the standard lens. But paired with another one using the standard one it is the best of both, bar mounted standard give great amount of light close-up and smooth/wide, then the throw of the 14° optic on the helmet lets you look wherever you need.

Sorry no beam shots but here is a close up pic. left is stock, right is new.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gemini Lights TITAN LED and XERA LED (2012)-2012-03-14_10-01-54_608.jpg  

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I ran one optics and one reflector as a pair on my bars all winter and it was a GREAT combo. It looks like the new optics would make the combo just that much better.

just a Newbie
    I took some beamshot picture of the Standard optic, Reflector and Prototype optic at a white wall. There is a tape measure with the beam aimed at the 3ft mark. The photo showing the Xera with the Reflector has a different tint and that is no photo error. I can see a different color when using the optic vs reflector. You will notice that the optics is more brighter than the reflector. I think that where the reflector loses some throw although it has a tighter center.

just a Newbie
    I took some pictures at the park comparing the difference in the throw of the Standard Optics, Reflector and Prototype Optics for the Xera. Instead of aiming the light at 100ft at the bottle, I aimed them between the two tree in the background. They are 150ft and 200ft.

The picture looks as if the aim is on the ground at the bottle but they are not. The grass reflects a lot of the spill and the camera captures it. You can see where the outer edge of the spill of each lens by looking at the middle of the tree. Also these were taken right after several days of rain and the grass is still wet. You can see that the new Prototype Optics has a much better throw than the Reflector.

Xera Standard Optics

Xera Reflector

Xera Prototype Optics

Control shot for this setting can be seen here. I also included a throw shot for the Magicshine 808E XML since that is what a lot of members uses for their throw light.
    Xera new 14 degree prototype optic pictures by Colleenlc - Photobucket

Gemini Lights
    Thanks for all the pictures and review of the new Spot 14° Optic. Really great to hear your feedback on it. We think it's going to be a great addition to the XERA LED Light bundle.

mtbr member
    We think it's going to be a great addition to the XERA LED Light bundle.
    Yep, indeed it will. Now if you can find a tighter optic for the Olympia you will have us eating out of your hand.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Got my Xera last week . Have not had it out on a ride yet, but very impressed just playing around the yard.
    Anyone ghetto rig some kind of quick release bar mount?? I'm doing a pub ride Saturday night and I don't want to leave the light on the bike while it is locked up outside. I'm also envisioning myself struggling with the o-ring mount as the night goes
    on . Action sells something that works with the Titan and most MS lights, but I don't know if it works with Xera and at this time I'm not interested in paying $20. My other options are don't take this light (but I want to show it off to friends) or helmet mount (I'd prefer it on the bar for this type or riding).

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Need help with headband!

Since my Xera came with a nice headband, I thought I should try it out! But I'm having a hard time figuring out how to attach the battery securely. On my helmet, the long velcro strap is perfect, but when I try to use that strap on the headband, I have way too much slack, and there's not enough space in the slots to pass the strap through multiple times. I know I must be missing something! What's the secret?

I checked the Gemini web site, but they only show the headband with the 4-cell battery, so no help there.

Thanks!

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by agoura_biker View Post
    Since my Xera came with a nice headband, I thought I should try it out! But I'm having a hard time figuring out how to attach the battery securely. On my helmet, the long velcro strap is perfect, but when I try to use that strap on the headband, I have way too much slack, and there's not enough space in the slots to pass the strap through multiple times. I know I must be missing something! What's the secret?

I checked the Gemini web site, but they only show the headband with the 4-cell battery, so no help there.

Thanks!
    agoura_biker,
    You should have gotten 2 straps with the Xera. One about 10" long and one about 6".
    The shorter one should work to fasten the battery to the bracket on the back of the head belt
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by agoura_biker View Post
    I'm having a hard time figuring out how to attach the battery securely.
    I had the same learning experience. Here's how I did it:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1094155...65/GeminiLight
    Let me know if this doesn't show 2 pics...first time sharing pics this way.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    agoura_biker,
    You should have gotten 2 straps with the Xera. One about 10" long and one about 6".
    The shorter one should work to fasten the battery to the bracket on the back of the head belt
    Ah Ha! I looked for a shorter strap, but not very hard I guess. It's there!

Thanks

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    With daylight savings time here I am not using my light much if at all. What's the best way to store my battery until next year?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hi spd, my Lupine charger1 has a long term battery storage feature mode. What it does is drain my battery's, then re-charge back to 50%. Once done i put in a zip lock baggie in the fridge or freezer till needed. You probably already know this, but make sure to give your battery's 24 hours or so to warm up in the fall before you charge them up. So drain to approx 50% put in fridge. Cheers!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Oops,,,,, sorry i ment sbd,,,, just woke up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post
    ....What it does is drain my battery's, then re-charge back to 50%. Once done i put in a zip lock baggie in the fridge or freezer till needed. You probably already know this, but make sure to give your battery's 24 hours or so to warm up in the fall before you charge them up. So drain to approx 50% put in fridge. Cheers!!!
    The only thing I'll add is that if it were me I'd opt to store in the fridge ( vs. the freezer ).
    That way you wouldn't have to wait so long for the battery to reach ambient room temp before you charge.

mtbr member
    My chargers do not have the long storage option. Should I just turn the lights on for a while? What is the reason for the 50% charge?
    "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story."
    Mark Twain?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdabeach2001 View Post
    My chargers do not have the long storage option. Should I just turn the lights on for a while? What is the reason for the 50% charge?
    1 - Yes

2 - Because it increases the battery's life.

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdabeach2001 View Post
    Yes, you could fully charge the light and then run it for about a third of its normal run time. (with the light hanging in front of a fan)
    I slightly more scientific explanation for why is that the battery is in a more highly stressed state when fully charged. If you want more see: How to Store Batteries – Battery University
    I agree that the refrigerator is a better choice.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

just a Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by haager View Post
    Got my Xera last week . Have not had it out on a ride yet, but very impressed just playing around the yard.
    Anyone ghetto rig some kind of quick release bar mount?? I'm doing a pub ride Saturday night and I don't want to leave the light on the bike while it is locked up outside. I'm also envisioning myself struggling with the o-ring mount as the night goes
    on . Action sells something that works with the Titan and most MS lights, but I don't know if it works with Xera and at this time I'm not interested in paying $20. My other options are don't take this light (but I want to show it off to friends) or helmet mount (I'd prefer it on the bar for this type or riding).
    The Cateye H34 Flex Tight bracket using a H27 Spacer worked for me. The spacer comes with screw and you can use that screw instead of the bolt that is on Gemini O ring mount. The allen head bolt that came with the Gemini is larger and will not fit into the H27 spacer unless you file the spacer down to clear the bolt head. Picture of the setup is here and here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    That looks good, thanks for sharing! Can you still rotate the light head (left-right) with that setup? Will it mount on the Gemini helmet strap/mount?

I used the o ring Saturday night. My buddy's wife has a Titan and lost her o ring at one point. If you are just going to leave it on the bar, it wouldn't be an issue, but the o ring is not ideal if you are taking it on and off a lot.

just a Newbie
    Yes you can rotate the head left and right to a certain degree before it either gets too tight on the bolt or too loose if you turn it counter clockwise.

I have yet try that flex bracket on the helmet mount. I will think it should work. However you might find it to have less tilt adjustment than using the original o ring setup. Also the extra bracket will add extra bulk to the helmet strap mount which might make it not as nice looking in comparison to the o ring mount on the helmet mount.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I also don't want to have to deal with switching back and forth between a quick release type mount and the standard mount when I want to go from bar to helmet. Probably just continue to use the O ring mount. Hopefully the number of occasions when I would be taking it on and off multiple times in a relatively short period of time will be minimal. Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    tried them but went for the lower price units

mountain biker
    Hey guys,

I'm still lovin' my Xera. Riding has started so early in our part of the world that we still have to bring lights on after work rides to finish of the ride... So that has gotten me curious about the 14° optic. I'd always felt I wanted a tighter spot with a tad more throw on my helmet, and this seems like the perfect solution. So I just had a look on ActionLED, Gemini, and Geomangear's sites and can't find it anywhere... how do I go about procuring one (or three)?
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    new prototype 14° optics.. we are going into production with these. Give us about 3 weeks.
    Any updates as to the new optics?

Thanks

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by Aspec View Post

Thanks
    We should have them in about 2 weeks
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mountain biker

Thanks
    We should have them in about 2 weeks
    excellent. any chance you can keep us posted?
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    How do the xera's stack up on comparison with the XML titans in terms of output? Is the difference in price mainly due to the size/weight?

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by manbeer View Post
    How do the xera's stack up on comparison with the XML titans in terms of output? Is the difference in price mainly due to the size/weight?
    They are equal in terms of light output.
    The Xera is half the size and weight.
    It comes with the helmet mount, headstrap, and hardshell battery standard.
    It has programmable modes.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Optic Status

3/14/2012: About 2.5 weeks
    Chris or Jim,
    What's the word on new optic? Chomp'n at the bit to pick a few up.

Thanks

Action LED Lights
    Chris or Jim,
    What's the word on new optic? Chomp'n at the bit to pick a few up.

Thanks
    A limited number have just arrived. They will be listed later today.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

Action LED Lights
    It's up. xera-spot-optic
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    What is the upgrade cycle for these lights? In other words if I get a Xera now...it it going to be a new model year available in a few months?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hi JoshG, my Xera's have the T-6 XM-L's in them. The new Xera flashlights has XM-L U-2 led in them which gives approx 10% more output. If Gemini havent done it already, that is the only upgrade i can see in the Xera's presesnt application. For it's size it already has the best single led available and is been driven pretty much a hard as it can. This little light kicks but.

mtbr member
    A couple of months ago I upgraded my light systems because of compatibility issues with my first Olympia lighthead/Geoman 6.0 battery combo with another Olympia 6cell kit, a Xera lighthead, and a closeout Titan kit (for the battery and charger). Here's my impressions.

A) All the great things people have posted about the Xera light true (tiny, bright, very adjustable, long runtimes). I ordered the Xera (lighthead, reflector, and Jim at Action sent a modified wide angle lens) to replace my 808e as an everyday light (I spend alot of my miles on bike paths so a low top spill beam is important to me). Unfortunately any combination with the reflector (clear or wide angle lens) has been a bit disapointing in power and beam pattern but I did find that holding the wide angle lens over the front of the light with one of the optics in place gave me what I had expected as a result. It looks to me like the optic miight be the secret to the Xera's power advantage over the 808e Magicshine. I hear Gemini might produce a wide angle optic which would be great, but if not I'm going to bond a wide angle lens to the beasel and I'll be set.

B) While I bought the P7 Titan kit for the battery and charger, I have to say this is a great starter kit. It is slightly more powerful that the P7 Magicshine and has a wider beam and a extra hour of runtime (because of the excellent battery it comes with which would work well with a more powerful lighthead should you ever want to upgrade). I haven't seen much information posted on these lights and even though I think Gemini is going to discontinue selling them (there not on the Gemini website anymore) I've seen several posts asking about them because o the good closeout prices so I 'm sharing my impressions.
    Mole

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Sorry to hijack this thread with my first post. I'm looking for a bar mounted light to do some nite trail rides with and would like it to serve as a back up and supplement my current light, A nite rider Minewt 600 which I use on my helmet. On road rides the minewt serves me well but I think I would appreciate some more light on the trails. I'm thinking the Gemini Titan may be a good choice ?

Opinions or suggestions anyone ?
    Last edited by jws21; 08-01-2012 at 12:38 PM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jws21 View Post
    Sorry to hijack this thread with my first post. I'm looking for a bar mounted light to do some nite trail rides with and would like it to serve as a back up and supplement my current light, A nite rider Minewt 600 which I use on my helmet. On road rides the minewt serves me well but I think I would appreciate some more light on the trails. I'm thinking the Gemini Titan may be a good choice ?

Opinions or suggestions anyone ?
    I think compairing the Titan P7 to the Niterider you own will be the best way to let you know what to expect. Power wise they should be very similar (based on my side by side compairson with my brothers urban 500 which has about the same lux rating in this years MTBR light shootout). The main difference I see is the fact that the Titan will run 4 hours on high. Of course it's not selfcontained so you have to find a place to mount the battery (I find the stem works best for me). The one thing I would recommend adding for bar mounted trail riding is an Action wideangle lens (less than 5$). It really speads the beam out and makes trail riding must eaiser for me. I assume your going to order From Action LED (since thay are the only place I know of that you can still get this light), so you can get the lens with the light kit (currently on closeout) from one place. Hope this helps.
    Mole

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    I think compairing the Titan P7 to the Niterider you own will be the best way to let you know what to expect. Power wise they should be very similar (based on my side by side compairson with my brothers urban 500 which has about the same lux rating in this years MTBR light shootout). The main difference I see is the fact that the Titan will run 4 hours on high. Of course it's not selfcontained so you have to find a place to mount the battery (I find the stem works best for me). The one thing I would recommend adding for bar mounted trail riding is an Action wideangle lens (less than 5$). It really speads the beam out and makes trail riding must eaiser for me. I assume your going to order From Action LED (since thay are the only place I know of that you can still get this light), so you can get the lens with the light kit (currently on closeout) from one place. Hope this helps.
    Mole
    I was originally planning to just get another minewt 600, the 2012's are on closeout at universal cycles and I prefer the specs of those better than the 2013. Upon shopping around I came across the Gemini's and have heard some good things about them. Lights and Motion has a good beam test comparison on their site and you can compare many Mfg's and the gemini titan looks very impressive imo.

I appreciate your input and you made a very good point about the wide lense from Action LED which where I was looking

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    ..... It looks to me like the optic miight be the secret to the Xera's power advantage over the 808e Magicshine.
    Mole
    MRM, I take it you have both lamps to compare to? In your opinion, would you say the Xera would make a better helmet lamp than the 808E as far as beam pattern/throw is concerned? No question the size and function of the Xera is superior but beam pattern and throw is the question that I have always wondered about. For the extra money the Xera cost I would like to think the output would be better. Your thoughts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    MRM, I take it you have both lamps to compare to? In your opinion, would you say the Xera would make a better helmet lamp than the 808E as far as beam pattern/throw is concerned? No question the size and function of the Xera is superior but beam pattern and throw is the question that I have always wondered about. For the extra money the Xera cost I would like to think the output would be better. Your thoughts?
    Hi Cat,
    Yes I have both lights, and one thing I have to say before answering your question. Saying Xera is no better than a MS808e is like having a beautiful wife (who shares your interests, is a great cook, and does everyting you ask of her) who's just installed a stripper pole in your basement and after her first show you comment that She's no better than the girls at the strip club and that you could have saved alot of money by just going there a couple of nites a week compaired to what it costs being married.

That being said, with regards to helmet use and beam/throw, for the street with the spot optic in the Xera their both about the same. The Xera may be slightly brighter but the difference is so small that I don't think it would improve visibility any. For mountain biking with the standard optic I prefer the Xera, and in every other way I can think of (except price) the Xera is a much better light. Since I bought this as a lighthead only the actual cost difference was only $32 and well worth it in my opinion (See Xera, I love you and appreciate you for all you do).
    Mole

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Hi all. I have just sorted (finally) a setup of olympia (bars) and xera (helmet). I will be posting some reviews as we go along, but (at the risk of sounding like an ad), I wanted to draw attention to where I got them. I have been watching out for a deal on these lights for a while. I am in Australia and found this place:
    Bike Shop | Lighting - Accessories | Bikes Melbourne
    I ended up grabbing some (awesome) Moon rear flashers whilst I was at it, and they did me a deal far better than anyone else online, including the big boys.
    I have no self interest in the place. I'm just posting this as I feel we are the poor cousins in Australia when it comes to deals, and it was awesome to be able to get the best deal locally rather than my usual shopping spree at Chain Reaction!
    Oh - shipping was free, and service from a guy called Peter was awesome!
    I'll post some light shots and reviews when I'm set. I used the Xera on my commute to work, thought it was amazing, then realised towards the end I had it running on the low setting!! And the rear Moon Shield is a blinder!!
    Mat

All fat, all the time.
    Alright, been a while so I thought I'd come back for an update.

Been using the Xera (1 on bar, 1 on helmet) since March or so....everything is still working great. I have even put the head-strap to use as we've been doing alot of night work lately. It is awesome to have a good light setup, compared to the terrible hardware-store type led headlamps that everyone else was using.

Anyways, thanks Gemini, great stuff! I convinced the coworkers to grab a couple of the older titan's as well when they were on clearance, they are happy with them as well.

Gemini Lights
    We have our new beam shot page up and running on our website. Check it out to compare the beams of all our Gemini Lights..

Gemini Lights Beam Shots

All shots have been taken with MTBR beam shot camera settings, F4 6 seconds, ISO 100, Daylight.

mtbr member
    The new DUO looks awesome! Why do you guys keep making me buy new lights?
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    The new DUO looks awesome! Why do you guys keep making me buy new lights?
    So you can test and review them to help us make our own decision
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678