Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Gemini Lights TITAN LED and XERA LED (2012)

105K views 763 replies 114 participants last post by  skidad 
#1 · (Edited)
Greetings from Gemini Lights,

Due to an incoming large number of CREE XM-L units in prep for 2012, we've upgraded our TITAN LED to the XM-L. The SSC-P7 version will still be available for a limited time as we have few remaining stock left. The new beam pattern remains relatively the same with a smoother transition between hotspot and spill.

Please note there hasn't been any change in prices.

We're also bringing you a new helmet light called XERA. It's minimal, light weight and aims to be a contender against the wonderful Piko. We've used Lupine's light as the benchmark for quality and performance. For those who love adjustments, XERA is fully programmable in the 4 modes given.

XERA is available from September 25th onwards.

#178 ·
3rd ride now with my new Xera. The first 2 were on familar somewhat easy trails to get the feel of night riding and the lights in general. This time out a group ride in some very technical and rocky terrain (typical New England). Since this is my first foray into night riding I have nothing to compare it to but I must say I'm very happy with this little light so far. Even on faster downhills it was fine, especially after training myself to use the beam in the correct way (ie..look where you want to go) Ran it on medium for 2+ hours and the button remained green the entire time (2 cell battery) so next time I'll try the high setting and spoil myself. It's so light with the 2 cell pack you really don't feel it up on the helmet and the switch is easy to operate with regular gloves on and also a slightly heavier pair of XC ski gloves I used the other night in colder temps. I've already ordered a 2nd battery pack. I think for the money you can't go wrong here. Very lightweight, good light power and a beautiful smooth beam with no hot spot.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: for the light
:thumbsup::thumbsup: for customer service

#181 ·
Got my Xera and an extra battery pack yesterday, had them both charged up in time for a group night ride. I put the Xera with 2-cell on my helmet, and ran the Gemini 4-cell with my Magicshine (Mickey-mouse) 1400 on the bars. We rode some fast singletrack and a climbed up to a black diamond switchback descent called Cheshire Cat, finished with some highspeed singletrack.
It was my first time using the gear, and set-up was ridiculously easy. The Gemini O-rings seem much tighter than the other (black) ones I had. The Xera lamp mount was very firm, and stayed put through more than 2 hours of fairly aggressive BC coastal riding. I had the 4-cell just strapped to my stem with a few generic velcro straps, with a bit of foam between the battery and the stem to prevent rattle- it never budged, even when I slid out. The beam had a good balance of spread and throw, providing what I feel to be a superior helmet lamp over my old Magicshine 900. The battery life was never an issue, although I toggle down for climbs so I probably haven't really tested the capacity with accuracy. Oh, the DHL arrived in 9-days (Canada) and only took $10 in taxes. Great deal in my books, good stuff Gemini!

#184 ·
Ok, now I'm really confused. The tag they left me is for $15.

Do they just make the numbers up?
in a word .... yes

it is suppose to be a calculation of taxes owed and import duties yet I have never found a formula that is used to get these numbers. (ie 5%of the total) UPS is the rapist of the all the couriers, their brokerage fees are terrible. I once paid $30 in brokerage fees for a $15 deraillure.

Having said that, if person A orders one light and person B orders two lights then that could explain $10 vs the $15.

P.S you also have the right to refuse the package if you feel the fees are out of line, however if you pay for the package there is no complaint and refund dept.

#185 ·
I found Fedex to be the absolute worst for tacked on shipping fees. I received a package once, and paid taxes. Later, the scavenging vultures sent me a bill in the mail for additional "brokerage" and "service" fees. THey already received money from the shipper, and then proceeded to put the screws to me. When I told them to stuff it in a can, they threatened me with calling a collection agency. After many months of idiotic conversations with various levels of Fedex incompetency, I had my bill waived, after repeatedly insisting I had never agreed to any additional service fees, and it would be a cold day in hell when they pried another nickel out of my pocket. However, I wonder how many poor suckers order something, pay for shipping, and then get screwed into paying again by a consumer-aggressive company that likes to use threats to make money. Kudos to Gemini for using DHL, I have no problems paying tax (and or duty) when necessary.

#198 ·
@TwoJack,

We've spoken to our DHL rep and made it clear that the service provided for you was unacceptable. If the first delivery attempt failed, then a second delivery attempt should be followed up the very next day.

We're sorry for your bad experience.

@TobyGadd,
XERA 1st Gen has 4 set modes, LOW/MED/HIGH and FLASH. The XERA 2nd Gen has user programming enabled with a new circuit board allowing you to adjust the brightness levels for each of the modes. Precisely what indebt said.

@stinkyto
The triple XM-L is aiming for a mid-November launch. Can you wait that long? :)

#201 · (Edited)
An update for those of you who have seen my previous plaintive rants ......

I went out to the DHL depot this morning to see what the story is only to discover that it is no longer the DHL depot, it is the Loomis depot (again).

This is what happens when companies buy and sell bits of themselves, and then sell the bits back again.

All local freight ( inside NA) goes Loomis. International gets handed off to DHL, inbound international comes to the Loomis warehouse, where DHL have refused to give Loomis a contract to deliver it for them.

So, DHL have one employee charged with the whole metro area and the Loomis people say they get someone like me, every day, saying it's been 5 days, where's my stuff?

Long story short, depot manager gets the driver on the phone and blasts him and then in a scene out of James Bond I have to arrange a place where I will meet him on the side of the road to get my lights.

Which I now have, in spite of the politics involved.

Beautiful lights, nicely finished, small, light and astoundingly bright - even in the daylight.

Well done.

Edit to add:

Any plans to offer one of these little beauties with a red lens as a taillight option??

#207 ·
how programmable?

I read earlier that gen1 Xera must go through the off position to cycle back to a previously used light level. I'm wondering, with the programmable gen2, if we can set it to cycle through A/B/C with each button press and only turn off with a button hold (2 sec)? Like the Geoman Magicshines...

#208 ·
I read earlier that gen1 Xera must go through the off position to cycle back to a previously used light level. I'm wondering, with the programmable gen2, if we can set it to cycle through A/B/C with each button press and only turn off with a button hold (2 sec)? Like the Geoman Magicshines...
Hmm, must be something to do with gen1, I just found and read the Xera manual (http://gemini-lights.com/sites/default/files/manual/xera-manual.pdf) and found:
  • button press when off turns on
  • button press when on cycles a/b/c
  • button hold (1s) when on turns off
  • button hold (1s) when off enters flash mode
  • long button hold (3s) when on programs mode you're currently in

Question answered, as long as the manual is right :thumbsup:

#210 ·
Just placed my order for 1-2cell and 1-4cell Zera. Now to begin the waiting process :)
Jumping in hook, line, and sinker eh? I think you will be very happy with the lights. Now I know you were also looking at the DiNotte XML-3 so don't expect that performance from the single XML LED of the Xera but with 2 you should be fine.

I would also like to be able to just cycle through the modes without the light turning off but it's not a biggie really. If version 2 can do that then great but I wont lose sleep over it if it doesn't.

Gemini emailed me that my free version 2 should ship this week and also mentioned a new optional Xera reflector that's also just about finalized. Not sure what this is about yet but my guess is a different beam pattern. Nice to have options available.

I think they also have another new light due out in Nov. at some point. Good stuff coming from Gemini it seems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.