Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Gemini Lights TITAN LED and XERA LED (2012)

105K views 763 replies 114 participants last post by  skidad 
#1 · (Edited)
Greetings from Gemini Lights,

Due to an incoming large number of CREE XM-L units in prep for 2012, we've upgraded our TITAN LED to the XM-L. The SSC-P7 version will still be available for a limited time as we have few remaining stock left. The new beam pattern remains relatively the same with a smoother transition between hotspot and spill.

Please note there hasn't been any change in prices.

We're also bringing you a new helmet light called XERA. It's minimal, light weight and aims to be a contender against the wonderful Piko. We've used Lupine's light as the benchmark for quality and performance. For those who love adjustments, XERA is fully programmable in the 4 modes given.

XERA is available from September 25th onwards.

#95 ·
I'm about to pull the trigger on some lights for riding in Squamish. Ideally I would like to get a set for my bars and helmet.

The other front runner is the Magic Shine MJ-872 XP-G which can be had for the same price and has twice the claimed output.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of the XERA relative to the Magic Shine stuff? My concerns are output, run time, durability (waterproof), and mounting systems since our trails are rough and will rattle the lights constantly.

#99 ·
I'm about to pull the trigger on some lights for riding in Squamish. Ideally I would like to get a set for my bars and helmet.

The other front runner is the Magic Shine MJ-872 XP-G which can be had for the same price and has twice the claimed output.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of the XERA relative to the Magic Shine stuff? My concerns are output, run time, durability (waterproof), and mounting systems since our trails are rough and will rattle the lights constantly.
We've been asked this question before - how does the Magicshine MJ-872 compare to the XERA?

I haven't had any personal experience with the Magicshine MJ-872, so I can't give a good comparison. However going over GeomanGear's specs on the MJ-872 it seems that it does have a higher lumen output than the XERA, so going by that it would be more powerful.

XERA is designed to be a lightweight helmet light, similar to the Lupine Piko. The MJ-872 is more of a bar light with flood pattern. It also a good to have a ratio of 2:1 handlebar to helmet output.

XERA is half the size and weight of the MJ-872. The beam pattern is really nice to use on the trail. It lights up wide enough and has enough throw for even the fastest riders. It's definitely not a spot pattern like the reflector lights on the market. Having tried both, our preference swayed towards optics.

We highly encourage testing the XERA for yourself. If ever you feel you made the wrong choice, or that it's not the right light for you, we offer you a full refund.

We are just as excited as you are to get XERA in your hands and we are very sorry for the delay. China's national holiday has started already and is rather unavoidable.

A new Gemini bar light is in the works. Estimated launch is 3-4 weeks from now and will be a triple XM-L. It is larger than XERA but smaller than the TITAN.

We'll give you the updates as we go on! Check our facebook or our news page for more information as well.

Happy rides.

Chris

PS: Go to page 1 of this thread to take a look at beam patterns.. or click on these links below:
https://gemini-lights.com/forums/Gemini-Lights-Beamshots.gif
https://gemini-lights.com/forums/Gemini-Lights-Trailshots.gif

#96 ·
Hey hurricanejoal, i live in Squamish and do a lot of night riding here. First thing you should look at is reliability because in our demografic as you know it's very wet here. I would stay away from the MS stuff only because you will find by reading the history of even the newer stuff that they are not built to handel our wet climate. Also MS's output claims are over stated vs many of the top brands out there.

I have a Gemini Titan, last years P-7 D-bin. Compared to my MS it is of better quality and brightness. I have a Xera on the way and will be able to have a review on it's reliability in some time,and performance vs my Titan.

The MEC in North Vancouver has the new Cygolite Turbo 740 XML $169. Last i checked the shipment was delayed but if built like my TridenX is worth a look as i never had a problem with my Triden X and it's been through the ringer. Cheers!!!

#98 ·
Hey hurricanejoal, i live in Squamish and do a lot of night riding here. First thing you should look at is reliability because in our demografic as you know it's very wet here. I would stay away from the MS stuff only because you will find by reading the history of even the newer stuff that they are not built to handel our wet climate. Also MS's output claims are over stated vs many of the top brands out there.

I have a Gemini Titan, last years P-7 D-bin. Compared to my MS it is of better quality and brightness. I have a Xera on the way and will be able to have a review on it's reliability in some time,and performance vs my Titan.

The MEC in North Vancouver has the new Cygolite Turbo 740 XML $169. Last i checked the shipment was delayed but if built like my TridenX is worth a look as i never had a problem with my Triden X and it's been through the ringer. Cheers!!!
...So you're squeamish about the MS in Squamish...( sorry, I couldn't resist...:D ) Okay, dumb jokes aside, nice to see you have an array of lights to compare and to chose from. Because of that you are now on my "posters to watch list". I can't wait to hear what you think about the XERA.

So what set-up ( or combo ) are you currently riding with?

#102 ·
Thanks for the input.

What attracted me to the 872 was the fact that it was a flood light, and that I could run it on my bars, and then combine it with a spot on my helmet. I plan on riding anything and everything at night, so the more light the better - until a point where the cost becomes obnoxious.

I would like to buy both at once, and from the same company to keep things simple, so I will have to wait until your bar mounted light is available.

#109 · (Edited)
Good day.

We are shipping our first batch of XERA now. Our pre-order customers (orders placed before and on the 25th) should be the first one to receive the units. For orders after the 25th, we are preparing your shipment now. They will be ready to ship on Monday or Tuesday (delivery time is 3-4 days with DHL).

Again we're extremely sorry for the unexpected delays. We really wished we could've had these in your hands a lot sooner. If you have any questions or queries, please feel free to PM me.

Cheers,

Chris

Hey guys, are you still doing free shipping offer?

I am thinking TITAN on the handlebars and XERA on the helmet for off road twisty singletrack? Any thoughts?
Free shipping is still on the table :thumbsup:
It will end late next week.

I do prefer the XERA over the TITAN on the bars and helmet. The beam pattern is very even, forward throwing with enough width to cover any trail - i feel most comfortable this way. Some riders have different tastes. Do you like a hotspot pattern? TITAN has a hotspot with reflector.

Here are some trail shots:
https://gemini-lights.com/forums/Gemini-Lights-Beamshots.gif
https://gemini-lights.com/forums/Gemini-Lights-Trailshots.gif

#108 ·
Hey thetoque, i'm in Squamish too and have ordered an Xera from Gemini. Status of my order is delayed but is supposed to ship out today. If confirmed shipped today, i'll let you know exactly the time frame. If i remember correctly, Chris said it was only about a week or so. Cheers!!! If your in a big hurrey, i think MEC in North Van has the new Cygolite Turbo740 for $169.

#120 ·
Great customer service

I just received this email form Gemini.

"We'd like to offer our sincerest apologies for keeping you waiting. We have now shipped your XERA order.
The delay is caused by the circuit board. We were not satisfied by the functionality of one part of the program - the factory reset option.
What we have done now is we've sent you your complete order with our current board version. The only differences are the user programming feature is disabled.
We really didn't want to keep you waiting any longer, so we've sent you a XERA light to use for now. It is complete in every way except, without the manual programming feature. In about a week or two, when we have finalized the programming feature to spec, we'll send you an additional new XERA light head for free with the programming feature enabled. So you'll be able to rock two XERA lights very soon.
We hope you'll accept this as our apology for keeping you waiting and we appreciate your patience thus far.":thumbsup:

#121 ·
Just got my light in - can't wait to try it out :thumbsup:

I agree that the pics don't do justice on the overall light head size.

So will you be shipping out these updated light heads to everyone that doesn't have one with a program mode?

Great looking light - thanks :thumbsup:

Ed

#124 ·
Just got my light in - can't wait to try it out :thumbsup:

I agree that the pics don't do justice on the overall light head size.

So will you be shipping out these updated light heads to everyone that doesn't have one with a program mode?

Great looking light - thanks :thumbsup:

Ed
Hi Ed,

Yes, thats correct. The XERAs that have been shipped to our preorder customers will see a new replacement XERA in the mail.

#122 · (Edited)
I just received mine this morning. I received the same email as temporoad. BIG thumbs up for Chris and Gemini for offering a free light for a short technical delay. :thumbsup:

for the weight watchers.

Headlight with attached wire - 57.9g
Headlight measurement - 46mm x 31mm x 46mm (LxWxH) (measured with mount not including wire)
Helmet mount - 15.9g
Pro head belt - 44.5g
4 cell 5200mAh battery - 236g

Pictures -

Niterider Minewt 600/Gemini Xera/Kaidomain KD Cree XML T6

#123 ·
Just got my Titan. This will be my first high powered light. Probably later get a Xera to run with it in a bars/helmet set up. At first I'll just use the Titan on my helmet (and bring a flashlight in my pack as a back up just in case.)

Will try it out sometime this week.
:)

#125 ·
I was riding to the local and I got cut of by a car. I'm surprise my niterider had small scratches because it's so much bigger than the Xera. My new Xera somehow took a lot of damage but the lens didn't take any damage at all. Anyone know where can get a marker to match the gunmetal color of the headlight?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.