Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516
    Action LED Lights
    It's up. xera-spot-optic
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    What is the upgrade cycle for these lights? In other words if I get a Xera now...it it going to be a new model year available in a few months?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hi JoshG, my Xera's have the T-6 XM-L's in them. The new Xera flashlights has XM-L U-2 led in them which gives approx 10% more output. If Gemini havent done it already, that is the only upgrade i can see in the Xera's presesnt application. For it's size it already has the best single led available and is been driven pretty much a hard as it can. This little light kicks but.

mtbr member
    A couple of months ago I upgraded my light systems because of compatibility issues with my first Olympia lighthead/Geoman 6.0 battery combo with another Olympia 6cell kit, a Xera lighthead, and a closeout Titan kit (for the battery and charger). Here's my impressions.

A) All the great things people have posted about the Xera light true (tiny, bright, very adjustable, long runtimes). I ordered the Xera (lighthead, reflector, and Jim at Action sent a modified wide angle lens) to replace my 808e as an everyday light (I spend alot of my miles on bike paths so a low top spill beam is important to me). Unfortunately any combination with the reflector (clear or wide angle lens) has been a bit disapointing in power and beam pattern but I did find that holding the wide angle lens over the front of the light with one of the optics in place gave me what I had expected as a result. It looks to me like the optic miight be the secret to the Xera's power advantage over the 808e Magicshine. I hear Gemini might produce a wide angle optic which would be great, but if not I'm going to bond a wide angle lens to the beasel and I'll be set.

B) While I bought the P7 Titan kit for the battery and charger, I have to say this is a great starter kit. It is slightly more powerful that the P7 Magicshine and has a wider beam and a extra hour of runtime (because of the excellent battery it comes with which would work well with a more powerful lighthead should you ever want to upgrade). I haven't seen much information posted on these lights and even though I think Gemini is going to discontinue selling them (there not on the Gemini website anymore) I've seen several posts asking about them because o the good closeout prices so I 'm sharing my impressions.
    Mole

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Sorry to hijack this thread with my first post. I'm looking for a bar mounted light to do some nite trail rides with and would like it to serve as a back up and supplement my current light, A nite rider Minewt 600 which I use on my helmet. On road rides the minewt serves me well but I think I would appreciate some more light on the trails. I'm thinking the Gemini Titan may be a good choice ?

Opinions or suggestions anyone ?
    Last edited by jws21; 08-01-2012 at 01:38 PM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jws21 View Post
    Sorry to hijack this thread with my first post. I'm looking for a bar mounted light to do some nite trail rides with and would like it to serve as a back up and supplement my current light, A nite rider Minewt 600 which I use on my helmet. On road rides the minewt serves me well but I think I would appreciate some more light on the trails. I'm thinking the Gemini Titan may be a good choice ?

Opinions or suggestions anyone ?
    I think compairing the Titan P7 to the Niterider you own will be the best way to let you know what to expect. Power wise they should be very similar (based on my side by side compairson with my brothers urban 500 which has about the same lux rating in this years MTBR light shootout). The main difference I see is the fact that the Titan will run 4 hours on high. Of course it's not selfcontained so you have to find a place to mount the battery (I find the stem works best for me). The one thing I would recommend adding for bar mounted trail riding is an Action wideangle lens (less than 5$). It really speads the beam out and makes trail riding must eaiser for me. I assume your going to order From Action LED (since thay are the only place I know of that you can still get this light), so you can get the lens with the light kit (currently on closeout) from one place. Hope this helps.
    Mole

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    I think compairing the Titan P7 to the Niterider you own will be the best way to let you know what to expect. Power wise they should be very similar (based on my side by side compairson with my brothers urban 500 which has about the same lux rating in this years MTBR light shootout). The main difference I see is the fact that the Titan will run 4 hours on high. Of course it's not selfcontained so you have to find a place to mount the battery (I find the stem works best for me). The one thing I would recommend adding for bar mounted trail riding is an Action wideangle lens (less than 5$). It really speads the beam out and makes trail riding must eaiser for me. I assume your going to order From Action LED (since thay are the only place I know of that you can still get this light), so you can get the lens with the light kit (currently on closeout) from one place. Hope this helps.
    Mole
    I was originally planning to just get another minewt 600, the 2012's are on closeout at universal cycles and I prefer the specs of those better than the 2013. Upon shopping around I came across the Gemini's and have heard some good things about them. Lights and Motion has a good beam test comparison on their site and you can compare many Mfg's and the gemini titan looks very impressive imo.

I appreciate your input and you made a very good point about the wide lense from Action LED which where I was looking

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    ..... It looks to me like the optic miight be the secret to the Xera's power advantage over the 808e Magicshine.
    Mole
    MRM, I take it you have both lamps to compare to? In your opinion, would you say the Xera would make a better helmet lamp than the 808E as far as beam pattern/throw is concerned? No question the size and function of the Xera is superior but beam pattern and throw is the question that I have always wondered about. For the extra money the Xera cost I would like to think the output would be better. Your thoughts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    MRM, I take it you have both lamps to compare to? In your opinion, would you say the Xera would make a better helmet lamp than the 808E as far as beam pattern/throw is concerned? No question the size and function of the Xera is superior but beam pattern and throw is the question that I have always wondered about. For the extra money the Xera cost I would like to think the output would be better. Your thoughts?
    Hi Cat,
    Yes I have both lights, and one thing I have to say before answering your question. Saying Xera is no better than a MS808e is like having a beautiful wife (who shares your interests, is a great cook, and does everyting you ask of her) who's just installed a stripper pole in your basement and after her first show you comment that She's no better than the girls at the strip club and that you could have saved alot of money by just going there a couple of nites a week compaired to what it costs being married.

That being said, with regards to helmet use and beam/throw, for the street with the spot optic in the Xera their both about the same. The Xera may be slightly brighter but the difference is so small that I don't think it would improve visibility any. For mountain biking with the standard optic I prefer the Xera, and in every other way I can think of (except price) the Xera is a much better light. Since I bought this as a lighthead only the actual cost difference was only $32 and well worth it in my opinion (See Xera, I love you and appreciate you for all you do).
    Mole

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Hi all. I have just sorted (finally) a setup of olympia (bars) and xera (helmet). I will be posting some reviews as we go along, but (at the risk of sounding like an ad), I wanted to draw attention to where I got them. I have been watching out for a deal on these lights for a while. I am in Australia and found this place:
    Bike Shop | Lighting - Accessories | Bikes Melbourne
    I ended up grabbing some (awesome) Moon rear flashers whilst I was at it, and they did me a deal far better than anyone else online, including the big boys.
    I have no self interest in the place. I'm just posting this as I feel we are the poor cousins in Australia when it comes to deals, and it was awesome to be able to get the best deal locally rather than my usual shopping spree at Chain Reaction!
    Oh - shipping was free, and service from a guy called Peter was awesome!
    I'll post some light shots and reviews when I'm set. I used the Xera on my commute to work, thought it was amazing, then realised towards the end I had it running on the low setting!! And the rear Moon Shield is a blinder!!
    Mat

All fat, all the time.
    Alright, been a while so I thought I'd come back for an update.

Been using the Xera (1 on bar, 1 on helmet) since March or so....everything is still working great. I have even put the head-strap to use as we've been doing alot of night work lately. It is awesome to have a good light setup, compared to the terrible hardware-store type led headlamps that everyone else was using.

Anyways, thanks Gemini, great stuff! I convinced the coworkers to grab a couple of the older titan's as well when they were on clearance, they are happy with them as well.

Gemini Lights
    We have our new beam shot page up and running on our website. Check it out to compare the beams of all our Gemini Lights..

Gemini Lights Beam Shots

All shots have been taken with MTBR beam shot camera settings, F4 6 seconds, ISO 100, Daylight.

mtbr member
    The new DUO looks awesome! Why do you guys keep making me buy new lights?
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    The new DUO looks awesome! Why do you guys keep making me buy new lights?
    So you can test and review them to help us make our own decision
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516