mtbr member

Gemini Duo + what else?

Recently bought a Gemini Duo 2013 from Action-led-lights. Great light that works wonderfully on the helmet. Very impressed. On my well known night trails I probably do not need anything else but I still would like to add a bar light. So two questions:

(1) Is there anything that comes even remotely close to the Lupine Piko MiniMax? That would be my first choice for a self contained unit but the cost is absurd at $370.

(2) A cheap alternative would be to try one of the twin/single lights out of China. Question is: how to pick one that has connectors that are compatible with the Gemini/Magicshine batteries.

mtbr member
    I think the Genimi Duo are awesome lights. You can try a 3xml clone for about 30-35$.

Self contained:
    Review: CatEye Volt 1200 | Mountain Bike Review
    Review: Bontrager Ion 700 | Mountain Bike Review
    Review: Light & Motion Taz 1200 | Mountain Bike Review

mtbr member
    I would recommend a self contained light for convenience. It sounds like you were thinking of that in any case if you were considering the MiniMax. For $200 the Cateye (yeah I know, Cateye only used to make underpowered commuter type lights) Volt 1200 is a very good light. From the MTBR review the Taz seems to have a better beam pattern, but I tested both lights and found the Cateye to have more punch. The Taz has the same problem the Seca had prior to bumping up to 1700+ lumens. Not enough lumens to cover such a broad beam.

Besides, you'd have enough spread with the DUO on lid. The Volt has enough spread and make up for the lack of punch the DUO might have.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbean View Post
    Besides, you'd have enough spread with the DUO on lid. The Volt has enough spread and make up for the lack of punch the DUO might have.
    Thank you, I am kind of changing my mind regarding self contained units (they are bulky whne one compares sizes). Just read 15 pages of Duo Clones info ... the Yinding is attractive at $50+ (with what seems to be a poor battery ... so add another $50 for a better battery) but I wander how a Gemini Xera would work: duo on helmet and Xera on bar as a spot? Should give plenty light (around 2000 at max combined) and there are some great deals on the Xera right now ...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I have a Duo/Xera combo, (spare set for wife or friends) which I have used,, however I have them switched around for my taste,, Duo-Bars,,, Xera-Helmet. If in your budget I would choose that over a clone of some sort with questionable battery's. You will have a matching set with quality battery's and some warranty from action.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    Thank you, I am kind of changing my mind regarding self contained units (they are bulky whne one compares sizes). Just read 15 pages of Duo Clones info ... the Yinding is attractive at $50+ (with what seems to be a poor battery ... so add another $50 for a better battery) but I wander how a Gemini Xera would work: duo on helmet and Xera on bar as a spot? Should give plenty light (around 2000 at max combined) and there are some great deals on the Xera right now ...
    Considering that you seem to like a wider beam coming off the helmet; The Yinding on the bars might be a good choice with Duo on the helmet. Choice #2, ( consider this the penny-pinching option ) Duo on the bars and a SSX2 on the helmet. The X2's actually have a fairly wide beam but since most of the light from the lamp is thrown more forward I would rather think it more useful on the helmet ( for folks who don't like narrow helmet beam patterns ).

Personally I agree with indebt. I like wide beam patterns ( or more exactly, medium wide ) off the bars and a more narrow beam on the lid but a wider helmet lamp can work real well on trails that are more twisty and have shorter lines of sight.

Anyway, if you choose to go with one of the cheaper clone lamps it should work. If it were me what would I do? ( He, He ) Probably buy a SSX2 or SSX2 clone and run it off the helmet using one of those Panovo cell holders and 4 Panasonic or Samsung cells. Looks like you can get the SStorm clones for around $20 ( lamp only ). Hard to ignore at that price. Later if you see something that might be better you can console yourself that at least you didn't drop a lot cash on the clone. ( * Please note: No matter what you choose for helmet mounting you will need a compatible mount system. If you have one that came with your Duo than that should work with the clones as well )

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Considering that you seem to like a wider beam coming off the helmet; The Yinding on the bars might be a good choice with Duo on the helmet.
    This is the setup I run, except duo on the bars and yinding on the helmet (because the yinding is easier to turn off, and the helmet lamp is more at risk of being smacked by a tree branch). My only complaint is that the UI of the lamps is different, so I often fumble switching modes and on/off (especially when my brain is O2 deprived). You might want to consider picking up another duo lighthead.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zuuds View Post
    You might want to consider picking up another duo lighthead.
    At the end of the story I did pick up a second duo, this time the 2014. From Action-Led with Free shipment for head + battery and charger + 10% discount + Anne (my wife) contributing as a C-day present made it the easy choice. The thing that made me pull the trigger in that direction is that at half power I still get 1400 lumen or so on the trail and using the 100 grams Gemini 2-cell batteries that means close to 3 hours of riding. More than I will ever do. In reality I will probably run the lights at close to full blast.

Still cannot believe you can carry close to 3000 lumen for a total weight of less than 400 grams!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Good choice! The other advantage of the real duo is that you can program the brightness levels to get the right balance of light to battery life for your needs.

Let us know how the '13 duo compares to the '14 in the real world. MTBR measured the '14 to be 200 lumens brighter, but I'm curious if it's very noticeable on the trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zuuds View Post
    Good choice! ...

Let us know how the '13 duo compares to the '14 in the real world. MTBR measured the '14 to be 200 lumens brighter, but I'm curious if it's very noticeable on the trail.
    Very happy ride tonight! I am sure it comes as no surprise to many but what a difference two sets of powerful lights make: with both at full blast it is basically like riding in daylight! I have now a whole collection of trails, that are off-limits during the day, opening up to exploration

The 2014 Duo is quite clearly a bit brighter than the 2013 at full blast, and has an even nicer round beam possibly with a bit more throw, although that might be the extra lumen. However, I am not sure there would be much of a difference on the trail if I had two 2013 instead of 2013+2014 ...

Gemini duo batteries are great, hard-shell, zero weight (well 100 grams), compact size and a bit of foam (provided) result in a very solid installation on the helmet, stem or frame (where one of the battery resides now: the Ibis Mojo forward triangle seems custom made to hold it). The ride tonight was a bit more than 1 hour and still nicely on green. I might just leave light and battery permanently mounted on my Mojo. (but but ... what about the extra weight!!! )

And also: thanks to Action-Led for the service the ultra fast shipment!
    Last edited by Davide; 12-24-2013 at 07:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Sweet! Sounds like you have a killer set up now.