Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Blackbean...was the camera on manual settings so the aperture, "shutter speed" and ISO remained the same for all photos?

If the camera was on automatic or program settings, it would have adjusted each photo to be properly lit and made the comparison shots worthless.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Blackbean...was the camera on manual settings so the aperture, "shutter speed" and ISO remained the same for all photos?

If the camera was on automatic or program settings, it would have adjusted each photo to be properly lit and made the comparison shots worthless.
    Just confirmed that the camera was in manual mode.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Well blackbean's feeling that the Gloworm X2 had more power than the Duo has been backed up in the MTBR light shootout test results.

The X2's integrating sphere result has just been added and it was 1148 lumens in trail mode so pretty much exactly what Gloworm claim (with a little more in reserve in Bush mode too )

mtbr member
    What is weird thought is that how close the lumen count came in between the DUO and the X2. I would have thought the X2 had about 200 lumens more. But then again, I also thought the X2 outshined the Olympia, and the Olympia has about 300 more lumens. I guess optics and beam patterns makes a big difference.

Initially I disliked the X2 a bit due to the bad velcro strap for the helmet mount, as well as the remote switch (more the clunky wire - it's pretty rigid). Now that I have a better velcro strap and find the remote switch very user-friendly, I like the light even more. I like being able to mount it low on the front of the helmet too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbean View Post
    What is weird thought is that how close the lumen count came in between the DUO and the X2. I would have thought the X2 had about 200 lumens more. But then again, I also thought the X2 outshined the Olympia, and the Olympia has about 300 more lumens. I guess optics and beam patterns makes a big difference.

Initially I disliked the X2 a bit due to the bad velcro strap for the helmet mount, as well as the remote switch (more the clunky wire - it's pretty rigid). Now that I have a better velcro strap and find the remote switch very user-friendly, I like the light even more. I like being able to mount it low on the front of the helmet too.
    Once again, it's not just the lumen output that matters it's how those lumen are being used. Future versions of the X2 will likely be brighter if they switch to U3 bin emitters and get around to offering a tighter spot optic.

The Gemini Olympia is indeed bright but tighter optics would make it more useful and appear more bright. If the Olympia used the same reflector set-up as the tri-clones I think it would have more useful throw.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbean View Post
    trying to organize the beamshots and will be uploading some soon. It's going to be messy but i hope it will be usefull to some of you.
    +100

mtbr member
    In case you guys are interested, I've developed alternative optics for the Duo. They definately get rid of the ugly artifacts and tighten up the beam considerably. You can see beam pics for the OEM, custom optics plus my MCE P60 and my 3up XPG Carlco narrow optic. If there is enough interest (say 10 people?) I could do a run of optics.

Gemini Duo - you like the pattern or want more spot?
    "It looks flexy"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3