Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    OK, I need to figure out how to upload shots. Insert link and 'image' requires an http address. The stuff is on my HDD. Coming soon.

mtbr member

DUO and X2 beamshots

OK, here goes.

Two beam shots of each light. One each from in front of my garage (two-car garage so it gives you an indication of the light spread) mounted on the handlebar, aobut 10 feet from the door of the garage. First the X2, then the DUO.

2nd batch of shots taken from the side of our house (distance between house and trees on the right are about 10-12 feet). First the X2, then the DUO.

The last photo is of the 2 light heads.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gemini Duo vs. Gloworm X2-x2-garage-handlebar.jpg  

Gemini Duo vs. Gloworm X2-duo-garage-handlebar.jpg  

Gemini Duo vs. Gloworm X2-x2-house-handlebar.jpg  

Gemini Duo vs. Gloworm X2-duo-house-handlebar_longer-throw_6469.jpg  

Gemini Duo vs. Gloworm X2-duo-x2_6489.jpg  

mtbr member
    The photo's does not do the lights justice IMO. Also, the difference between the 2 lights seems marginal from this. And maybe why I struggled to decide which one is better. But actually comparing the two for a while, I still think I'm going with the X2. You decide...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks for posting those shots and the feedback. I think it's time to fish or cut bait. I plan to pick one of these and order today.

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Both look good but the X2 looks a little better. Still close. The X2 looks like it has a slightly higher color temp; might actually work better with the other Gemini lights (Olympia/Xera). From these shots an X2 (bars) and Xera on the helmet might make for a really nice combo. Thanks for the shots.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks for posting the pictures blackbean !!! Based on what I can tell, picture wise. The X2 seems like it has a slight edge over the Duo with a broader beam and longer throw. Maybe this due to the larger optics / size of the X2 ??? If you have anymore photos ? Please share them.. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    I would like to take more shots so that they better represent what I actually see. Or use the mtbr settings. Like I said, u cant go wrong with either. I prefer the beam pattern of the X2 though and return the DUO. i had trouble with the velcro pad for the remote switch and not impressed by it. Also think the velcro for the helmet mount sucks. The straps on the helmet mount for the NR Minewt is how it should be done. Velcro sucks. I will post photos of the NR mount. I love the remote switch though. I will also try the X2 with dual spot lenses (the standard is flood/spot). If I get more throw at the expense of a bit of flood I'll be OK with that. Even the DUO has enough flood. I guess I'll try the X1 for pure road riding, but I am very pleased with the X2 as far as spread/flood and reach/spot goes. Good on the road and great on the trails. I would definitely recommend either of these lights above a pure flood light.

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbean View Post
    I would like to take more shots so that they better represent what I actually see. Or use the mtbr settings. Like I said, u cant go wrong with either. I prefer the beam pattern of the X2 though and return the DUO. i had trouble with the velcro pad for the remote switch and not impressed by it. Also think the velcro for the helmet mount sucks. The straps on the helmet mount for the NR Minewt is how it should be done. Velcro sucks. I will post photos of the NR mount. I love the remote switch though. I will also try the X2 with dual spot lenses (the standard is flood/spot). If I get more throw at the expense of a bit of flood I'll be OK with that. Even the DUO has enough flood. I guess I'll try the X1 for pure road riding, but I am very pleased with the X2 as far as spread/flood and reach/spot goes. Good on the road and great on the trails. I would definitely recommend either of these lights above a pure flood light.
    Hey Blackbean,

The old velcro was a bit of a shocker, we will admit that. The new X2s and X1s have much improved remote button velcro and better velcro for the helmet mount. The helmet mount velcro has a small buckle to enable easier tightening of the strap.

You'll notice a big difference when you put the other spot optic in the unit, about 10-15% more throw and only slightly tighter beam - I think you'll like it.

Cheers

Bruce
    Gloworm

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Nice comparison. This is great info to have. I'm reading lots of reviews before buying my first light set (handle bar and helmet).

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Well if the helmet Velcro is anything like mine--then it wont work.. There is no reversed end piece.. So you go through the buckle--and when you try to secure the Velcro back on itself---it wont stick.. You end up with either soft to soft or hard to hard.. Just a heads up.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    You'll notice a big difference when you put the other spot optic in the unit, about 10-15% more throw and only slightly tighter beam - I think you'll like it.

Cheers

Bruce
    Gloworm

How does the beam of the X1 compare to the X2 with 2 spot optics?

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooks04 View Post
    How does the beam of the X1 compare to the X2 with 2 spot optics?
    Not wanting to hijack the thread, but the X1 has a higher lux measurement at the centre of the beam than the X2 (spot/spot). It also throws a bit further. But with this you get a narrow beam and not a lot of peripheral. Its like a mini spot light

Bruce
    Gloworm

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Hmm, the second set of pictures on the side of the house look like the DUO has more throw. The fence, tree and bushes appear to be illuminated more in the DUO picture.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hey Blackbean,

The old velcro was a bit of a shocker, we will admit that.
    I was more shocked when my kit didn't include Velcro for a helmet mount.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I think the velcro for the helmet mount sucks. The straps on the helmet mount for the NR Minewt is how it should be done. Velcro sucks. I will post photos of the NR mount.
    Very interesting reading your comments on the NR helmet mounts... I checked out the Minewt mounts earlier. Really like there quick disconnect feature / look like they are up there quality wise. Wonder if these could be adapted for use on the Duo or ???

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jhymel View Post
    Hmm, the second set of pictures on the side of the house look like the DUO has more throw. The fence, tree and bushes appear to be illuminated more in the DUO picture.
    I have to agree with you, even on the first shot the far wall appears to be even, but the garage floor is lit up more with the duo. However you can put the optional lens on the X2 for more throw.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Gloworm, your ad for the X2 right here on mtbr has the X2 priced at $209, but a click on the ad goes to your website and there it is $219. What is up with that?

mtbr member

Smile

Hey Blackbean,

The old velcro was a bit of a shocker, we will admit that. The new X2s and X1s have much improved remote button velcro and better velcro for the helmet mount. The helmet mount velcro has a small buckle to enable easier tightening of the strap.

Cheers

Bruce
    Gloworm
    I just go my light a week ago (thanks to Jim from Action-LED I received it within 3 days of ordering it!) and it has no buckle? I will post pictures of the Minewt helmet mount later this week. I find it works really well and is easy to mount or remove.

Regardless, you guys produced a phenomenally good light in the X2!

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfast View Post
    Gloworm, your ad for the X2 right here on mtbr has the X2 priced at $209, but a click on the ad goes to your website and there it is $219. What is up with that?
    Hi Pedalfast, Unfortunately the advert had not been changed at the start of the season when the price changed. For this I apologise.

I have PM'd you.

Cheers

Bruce
    Gloworm

mtbr member
    Interesting - I had always imagined the two to be much closer in size.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I just go my light a week ago (thanks to Jim from Action-LED I received it within 3 days of ordering it!) and it has no buckle?
    I had a similar experience with Action LED, but it seems as if the QC department is missing the mark on ensuring that all items are included in the kit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I just ordered my X2 today, jim said he was waiting on another shipment of inventory, perhaps the improvements mentioned are so new that they are just being released.

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Hello,

Our previous batch of velcro did not have a buckle. Propably you got one of them from Action Leds.

@Jonshonda
    We apologize for this inconvenience. I think you already have a velcro there. One think we are sure about, is that our QC and manufacturing process is pretty tight and standard. It happens in house and it is controlled by Vaggelis, no OEM here. It may happen than one velcro will not be included. It is a human mistake which we are here to correct.

Cheers,
    Bruce and Vag
    Gloworm

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jhymel View Post
    I thought the opposite - if you look just above the fence you can see additional detail in the first picture (the X2 one). There are trees you can see just above the fence in the X2 shot that you simply can't see at all in the Duo picture.

The Duo does appear to have less flood but also less throw. It appears to light up a smaller area, with less intensity.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by neninja View Post
    I thought the opposite - if you look just above the fence you can see additional detail in the first picture (the X2 one). There are trees you can see just above the fence in the X2 shot that you simply can't see at all in the Duo picture.
    That's funny. I see just the opposite. I can definitely make out more tree/bush details on the second picture.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast