Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Gemini Duo clones

Anyone have one of the Gemini Duo clones from Ali Express or Fasttech?

What's the practical difference (if any) between the XM-L U2 and XML2 T6 LED's?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I think there are a couple of guys that have one on order. It's a great looking light. The only thing that worries me is the description of the lens as 60 degree. That's a super flooder, and probably not very useful for riding. And this is coming from a guy who likes a flood light. The 872 clone I'm using has about a 22 degree hot spot and that is more than enough. That's just the hot spot though, it really shoots light everywhere. So hopefully the Duo clone has a smaller than 60 degree hot spot. Otherwise it would just be too dim even with 2 leds.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Gemini Duo, Gloworm X2, and Lupine Piko are similar housing designs. It's about time those cnc shops in china started cloning them.

I have one on order. Hopefully the "60 degree" lens is just a typo, otherwise it's not usable on the trail or road.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbubbles View Post
    Hopefully the "60 degree" lens is just a typo, otherwise it's not usable on the trail or road.
    It's probably more like 6 degree, lol.

Those who have ordered please let us know!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The lens on the product shot of the clones look like the gemini duo, so if the beam pattern is similar to the gemini duo, that's acceptable.

Gemini Duo – 2013 Mtbr Lights Shootout | Mountain Bike Review

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I ordered a red one from FastTech a week ago, hope to have it soon.

Depending on brightness and beam pattern, I MIGHT be removing the mount and using 3M Dual Lock tape and mounting it flush on my helmet for a nice low-profile set up. We'll see. But I'll do a brief review for sure.

mtbr member
    I just bought the Duo from Gemini, and it is sweet. Now I just bought the Fastech version to compare. At $51 bucks, how could you go wrong?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Huckler View Post
    I just bought the Duo from Gemini, and it is sweet. Now I just bought the Fastech version to compare. At $51 bucks, how could you go wrong?
    That would be a great comparison! I would be particularly interested in the difference in beam shape and brightness. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Are these clones available in colours? I'm curious because I saw a Gemini Duo on ebay for about $200 and was going to get it but the colour option raised red flags as did the 4400mAh battery as opposed to a 5200. Good thing I didn't get suckered into paying 2 bills for a $50 light! I hate sellers like this who try to pass fakes as legit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yes, the clones come in colors, black, red and blue.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Idea!

Just arrived today, this thing is tiny! Seems so far so good. the beam shots are on high and from about 8' away.

Gemini Duo clones-img_20130930_183023_347.jpg
    Gemini Duo clones-img_20130930_183048_288.jpgGemini Duo clones-img_20130930_183221_120.jpgGemini Duo clones-img_20130930_183147_108.jpg

I have a dumb question about the charger (it didn't come with a manual so I couldn't RTFM). The battery appeared to shipped charged, because the light worked when I first connected it to the battery out of the box.

When I plugged the charger into the wall, the LED on the charger illuminates solid green with nothing attached to it. When I attached the battery to the charger, it remained solid green. How do these chargers typically operate - Does solid green means the battery is fully charged? Does the LED on these chargers blink or turn red they're charging or something else is going on?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    zuuds, what date did you order yours? I ordered mine on 9/13 through FastTech, it still hasn't left Hong Kong according to the USPS tracking. Grrr!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut View Post
    zuuds, what date did you order yours? I ordered mine on 9/13 through FastTech, it still hasn't left Hong Kong according to the USPS tracking. Grrr!
    9/17. I had it shipped to a business address in California.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zuuds View Post
    When I plugged the charger into the wall, the LED on the charger illuminates solid green with nothing attached to it. When I attached the battery to the charger, it remained solid green. How do these chargers typically operate - Does solid green means the battery is fully charged? Does the LED on these chargers blink or turn red they're charging or something else is going on?
    They usually go RED if the battery isn't fully charged, and changes to green when it's done.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I always plug the battery into the charger and then plug it into the wall. If it's not charged fully, then the led turns red.

That thing does look tiny. I just ordered a solarstorm x2 xm-l2 today, but this might be better. Looks pretty spotty? How would you rate the brightness, is it brighter than a single xml? How are the modes arranged? Are flash and off part of the rotation?

mtbr member
    Zuuds-

Light looks sweet. You think you can take some pics outside?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut View Post
    They usually go RED if the battery isn't fully charged, and changes to green when it's done.
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    I always plug the battery into the charger and then plug it into the wall. If it's not charged fully, then the led turns red.

That thing does look tiny. I just ordered a solarstorm x2 xm-l2 today, but this might be better. Looks pretty spotty? How would you rate the brightness, is it brighter than a single xml? How are the modes arranged? Are flash and off part of the rotation?
    Thanks for the charger info. I put a voltmeter to the pack and it read 10.67 volts, so maybe it isn't low enough to make the LED turn red.

I have actually never seen a single XML light in person, so I couldn't tell you if it's brighter. All I can say is it's a hell of a lot brighter than my little single AA powered XP-G2 Fenix LD12 flashlight, which is the only other "real" light I own.

I'm not sure if this would be considered a spotty or floody light, I don't have experience with any other bike lights. However, I think I'm going to call it floody. I compared the beam to my LD12, it is definitely floodier than the LD12. Unlike the LD12 there is no sharply defined hotspot and spill. I tried to take some outdoor beamshots, but my phone camera couldn't cope.

The modes are low-mid-hi-off (short presses). No mode memory, it always starts on low. Strobe is accessed via a long press when the light is already on, so it's not there when you're just cycling thru modes regularly. You have to deliberately enter strobe, which is good.

The battery pouch is a shiny, faux-cordura material, and the stitching on the velcro is already falling apart after a few test mounts. For $50 I'm not going to complain though, the light itself seems well built.
    Last edited by zuuds; 10-01-2013 at 09:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks for the info zuuds! That UI sounds pretty good.

I don't know what's going on with that battery. I thought that it came with a 2s2p battery which would have a maximum voltage of 8.4V. Since you are measuring 10.67V this must be wired differently, maybe 3s1p or 4s1p. That would make it incompatible with all my other stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the info zuuds! That UI sounds pretty good.

I don't know what's going on with that battery. I thought that it came with a 2s2p battery which would have a maximum voltage of 8.4V. Since you are measuring 10.67V this must be wired differently, maybe 3s1p or 4s1p. That would make it incompatible with all my other stuff.
    I don't understand the battery voltage either - according to the item description on Fasttech, it comes with a 4x18650 / 4400mAh / 2SP pack. I'm no battery expert but It's a standard looking square shrink wrapped 4x18650 pack and as far as I can tell there are 4 cells in it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I don't understand the battery voltage either - according to the item description on Fasttech, it comes with a 4x18650 / 4400mAh / 2SP pack. I'm no battery expert but It's a standard looking square shrink wrapped 4x18650 pack and as far as I can tell there are 4 cells in it.
    I've seen a picture that someone posted, where one of the batteries was replaced with a plastic tube and then shrinkwrapped. It could be that you only have three batteries wired in series.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    3 days ago I received a message from Fasttech, and they are currently out of stock.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've seen a picture that someone posted, where one of the batteries was replaced with a plastic tube and then shrinkwrapped. It could be that you only have three batteries wired in series.
    Yikes! I heard that Chinese batteries are sketchy... but I didn't realize they were that sketchy!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

never mind!

Yikes! I heard that Chinese batteries are sketchy... but I didn't realize they were that sketchy!
    I was scratching my head about this, and just for the heck of it connected my voltmeter to a AA battery - it read 2.2 volts. It then told me a 9V battery was 12 volts. After replacing the battery in my voltmeter, it's now giving accurate readings. The "duo" battery pack is at 7.39 volts, not 10.67!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Depends on how the battery is being measured. Each individual battery would be charged to 4.2v when fully charged, so when fully charged you should get a reading of 16.8v. When wired 2s2p the driver restricts the voltage to 8.4v, this is output only. Zuuds can you clarify how you are measuring the voltage?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I was scratching my head about this, and just for the heck of it connected my voltmeter to a AA battery - it read 2.2 volts. It then told me a 9V battery was 12 volts. After replacing the battery in my voltmeter, it's now giving accurate readings. The "duo" battery pack is at 7.39 volts, not 10.67!
    Haha, mystery solved!

Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast