Gemini Duo clones

Printable View

• 09-17-2013
    zuuds
    Gemini Duo clones
    Anyone have one of the Gemini Duo clones from Ali Express or Fasttech?

What's the practical difference (if any) between the XM-L U2 and XML2 T6 LED's?
  • 09-17-2013
    varider
    I think there are a couple of guys that have one on order. It's a great looking light. The only thing that worries me is the description of the lens as 60 degree. That's a super flooder, and probably not very useful for riding. And this is coming from a guy who likes a flood light. The 872 clone I'm using has about a 22 degree hot spot and that is more than enough. That's just the hot spot though, it really shoots light everywhere. So hopefully the Duo clone has a smaller than 60 degree hot spot. Otherwise it would just be too dim even with 2 leds.
  • 09-17-2013
    mrbubbles
    Gemini Duo, Gloworm X2, and Lupine Piko are similar housing designs. It's about time those cnc shops in china started cloning them.

I have one on order. Hopefully the "60 degree" lens is just a typo, otherwise it's not usable on the trail or road.
  • 09-17-2013
    bad andy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mrbubbles View Post
    Hopefully the "60 degree" lens is just a typo, otherwise it's not usable on the trail or road.

It's probably more like 6 degree, lol.

Those who have ordered please let us know!
  • 09-17-2013
    mrbubbles
    The lens on the product shot of the clones look like the gemini duo, so if the beam pattern is similar to the gemini duo, that's acceptable.

Gemini Duo – 2013 Mtbr Lights Shootout | Mountain Bike Review
  • 09-17-2013
    fightnut
    I ordered a red one from FastTech a week ago, hope to have it soon.

Depending on brightness and beam pattern, I MIGHT be removing the mount and using 3M Dual Lock tape and mounting it flush on my helmet for a nice low-profile set up. We'll see. But I'll do a brief review for sure.
  • 09-20-2013
    Huckler
    I just bought the Duo from Gemini, and it is sweet. Now I just bought the Fastech version to compare. At $51 bucks, how could you go wrong?
  • 09-20-2013
    varider
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Huckler View Post
    I just bought the Duo from Gemini, and it is sweet. Now I just bought the Fastech version to compare. At $51 bucks, how could you go wrong?

That would be a great comparison! I would be particularly interested in the difference in beam shape and brightness. Thanks.
  • 09-23-2013
    xmessenger
    Are these clones available in colours? I'm curious because I saw a Gemini Duo on ebay for about $200 and was going to get it but the colour option raised red flags as did the 4400mAh battery as opposed to a 5200. Good thing I didn't get suckered into paying 2 bills for a $50 light! I hate sellers like this who try to pass fakes as legit.
  • 09-24-2013
    fightnut
    Yes, the clones come in colors, black, red and blue.
  • 09-30-2013
    zuuds
    4 Attachment(s)
    Just arrived today, this thing is tiny! Seems so far so good. the beam shots are on high and from about 8' away.

Attachment 835882
    Attachment 835883Attachment 835884Attachment 835885

I have a dumb question about the charger (it didn't come with a manual so I couldn't RTFM). The battery appeared to shipped charged, because the light worked when I first connected it to the battery out of the box.

When I plugged the charger into the wall, the LED on the charger illuminates solid green with nothing attached to it. When I attached the battery to the charger, it remained solid green. How do these chargers typically operate - Does solid green means the battery is fully charged? Does the LED on these chargers blink or turn red they're charging or something else is going on?
  • 09-30-2013
    fightnut
    zuuds, what date did you order yours? I ordered mine on 9/13 through FastTech, it still hasn't left Hong Kong according to the USPS tracking. Grrr!
  • 09-30-2013
    zuuds
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fightnut View Post
    zuuds, what date did you order yours? I ordered mine on 9/13 through FastTech, it still hasn't left Hong Kong according to the USPS tracking. Grrr!

9/17. I had it shipped to a business address in California.
  • 09-30-2013
    fightnut
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zuuds View Post
    When I plugged the charger into the wall, the LED on the charger illuminates solid green with nothing attached to it. When I attached the battery to the charger, it remained solid green. How do these chargers typically operate - Does solid green means the battery is fully charged? Does the LED on these chargers blink or turn red they're charging or something else is going on?

They usually go RED if the battery isn't fully charged, and changes to green when it's done.
  • 09-30-2013
    varider
    I always plug the battery into the charger and then plug it into the wall. If it's not charged fully, then the led turns red.

That thing does look tiny. I just ordered a solarstorm x2 xm-l2 today, but this might be better. Looks pretty spotty? How would you rate the brightness, is it brighter than a single xml? How are the modes arranged? Are flash and off part of the rotation?
  • 09-30-2013
    Gharddog03
    Zuuds-

Light looks sweet. You think you can take some pics outside?
  • 09-30-2013
    zuuds
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fightnut View Post
    They usually go RED if the battery isn't fully charged, and changes to green when it's done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by varider View Post
    I always plug the battery into the charger and then plug it into the wall. If it's not charged fully, then the led turns red.

That thing does look tiny. I just ordered a solarstorm x2 xm-l2 today, but this might be better. Looks pretty spotty? How would you rate the brightness, is it brighter than a single xml? How are the modes arranged? Are flash and off part of the rotation?

Thanks for the charger info. I put a voltmeter to the pack and it read 10.67 volts, so maybe it isn't low enough to make the LED turn red.

I have actually never seen a single XML light in person, so I couldn't tell you if it's brighter. All I can say is it's a hell of a lot brighter than my little single AA powered XP-G2 Fenix LD12 flashlight, which is the only other "real" light I own.

I'm not sure if this would be considered a spotty or floody light, I don't have experience with any other bike lights. However, I think I'm going to call it floody. I compared the beam to my LD12, it is definitely floodier than the LD12. Unlike the LD12 there is no sharply defined hotspot and spill. I tried to take some outdoor beamshots, but my phone camera couldn't cope.

<Edit - in my earlier post I said the indoor beamshots were from about 8 feet away, but it was probably more like 6 feet since my arm was outstretched.>

The modes are low-mid-hi-off (short presses). No mode memory, it always starts on low. Strobe is accessed via a long press when the light is already on, so it's not there when you're just cycling thru modes regularly. You have to deliberately enter strobe, which is good.

The battery pouch is a shiny, faux-cordura material, and the stitching on the velcro is already falling apart after a few test mounts. For $50 I'm not going to complain though, the light itself seems well built.
  • 10-01-2013
    varider
    Thanks for the info zuuds! That UI sounds pretty good.

I don't know what's going on with that battery. I thought that it came with a 2s2p battery which would have a maximum voltage of 8.4V. Since you are measuring 10.67V this must be wired differently, maybe 3s1p or 4s1p. That would make it incompatible with all my other stuff.
  • 10-01-2013
    zuuds
    Quote:

Thanks for the info zuuds! That UI sounds pretty good.

I don't know what's going on with that battery. I thought that it came with a 2s2p battery which would have a maximum voltage of 8.4V. Since you are measuring 10.67V this must be wired differently, maybe 3s1p or 4s1p. That would make it incompatible with all my other stuff.

I don't understand the battery voltage either - according to the item description on Fasttech, it comes with a 4x18650 / 4400mAh / 2SP pack. :skep: I'm no battery expert but It's a standard looking square shrink wrapped 4x18650 pack and as far as I can tell there are 4 cells in it.
  • 10-01-2013
    varider
    Quote:

I don't understand the battery voltage either - according to the item description on Fasttech, it comes with a 4x18650 / 4400mAh / 2SP pack. :skep: I'm no battery expert but It's a standard looking square shrink wrapped 4x18650 pack and as far as I can tell there are 4 cells in it.

I've seen a picture that someone posted, where one of the batteries was replaced with a plastic tube and then shrinkwrapped. It could be that you only have three batteries wired in series.
  • 10-01-2013
    bhocewar
    3 days ago I received a message from Fasttech, and they are currently out of stock.
  • 10-01-2013
    zuuds
    Quote:

I've seen a picture that someone posted, where one of the batteries was replaced with a plastic tube and then shrinkwrapped. It could be that you only have three batteries wired in series.

Yikes! I heard that Chinese batteries are sketchy... but I didn't realize they were that sketchy! :eekster:
  • 10-01-2013
    zuuds
    never mind!
    Quote:

Yikes! I heard that Chinese batteries are sketchy... but I didn't realize they were that sketchy! :eekster:

I was scratching my head about this, and just for the heck of it connected my voltmeter to a AA battery - it read 2.2 volts. It then told me a 9V battery was 12 volts. After replacing the battery in my voltmeter, it's now giving accurate readings. The "duo" battery pack is at 7.39 volts, not 10.67!:blush:
  • 10-01-2013
    whokilledJR
    Depends on how the battery is being measured. Each individual battery would be charged to 4.2v when fully charged, so when fully charged you should get a reading of 16.8v. When wired 2s2p the driver restricts the voltage to 8.4v, this is output only. Zuuds can you clarify how you are measuring the voltage?
  • 10-01-2013
    varider
    Quote:

I was scratching my head about this, and just for the heck of it connected my voltmeter to a AA battery - it read 2.2 volts. It then told me a 9V battery was 12 volts. After replacing the battery in my voltmeter, it's now giving accurate readings. The "duo" battery pack is at 7.39 volts, not 10.67!:blush:

Haha, mystery solved!
  • 10-01-2013
    zuuds
    Quote:

Originally Posted by whokilledJR View Post
    Depends on how the battery is being measured. Each individual battery would be charged to 4.2v when fully charged, so when fully charged you should get a reading of 16.8v. When wired 2s2p the driver restricts the voltage to 8.4v, this is output only. Zuuds can you clarify how you are measuring the voltage?

I'm placing the negative probe on the metal edge of the cylinder part of the battery lead , and the positive probe on the post part in the middle. Is that the right way to do it?

I'm not even sure my charger works. (See post 11 above). All it ever shows is solid green when it's plugged in -- whether or not the battery is connected to it. I tried connecting the battery to it before plugging it in, but it still does the same thing.

If the charger LED is supposed to display red at less than full charge, and it is green when my battery is at 7.4 (out of 16.8) volts, I don't think it's working. I plugged the charger into the wall and put the voltmeter to it (black probe to the outside cylinder, red probe into the center hole) - shows 0 volts. Shouldn't it show 8.4v? (the sticker on the charger says the output is 8.4v, 1000 ma.)

I guess I can put the battery on the charger tonight and see if the battery shows higher voltage tomorrow.
  • 10-02-2013
    -Archie-
    Yes, your multimeter connection is correct. Based on your description of problem, I'd say that charger is broken.
  • 10-02-2013
    bhocewar
    If you stick the probe in the connector, you can make short circuit and damage the battery, charger etc.
  • 10-02-2013
    whokilledJR
    Quote:

I missed this post. 7.39v sounds more reasonable, although not fully charged, it would be 8.4v fully charged. As Archie mentioned your charger is playing up if this reading is correct, which is not a good thing when dealing with Li-ion batteries.

Even if the light is green a lot of chargers still trickle charge at a very slow rate near the end of recharging, although 7.4v is too low for it to start doing this. Have you tried charging it over a period of time and re-checking the voltage to see if it's still charging? I'd err on the side of caution, i.e don't leave it charging unattended over night.

Based on some of your readings it could just be the voltmeter is still not giving accurate figures.
  • 10-02-2013
    Kir
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bhocewar View Post
    If you stick the probe in the connector, you can make short circuit and damage the battery, charger etc.

Charger - maybe, but its kinda hard to short circuit male plug. Much easier to do that with female plug on battery, but you won't damage anything in battery - all bike lights batteries have protection pcbs in them that will disconnect cells if you'll short circuit connector.
  • 10-02-2013
    zuuds
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kir View Post
    Charger - maybe, but its kinda hard to short circuit male plug. Much easier to do that with female plug on battery, but you won't damage anything in battery - all bike lights batteries have protection pcbs in them that will disconnect cells if you'll short circuit connector.

Good to know. I stuck the probes in in veeeerrrry carefully, a la Attachment 836328
  • 10-02-2013
    zuuds
    Quote:

Originally Posted by whokilledJR View Post
    I missed this post. 7.39v sounds more reasonable, although not fully charged, it would be 8.4v fully charged. As Archie mentioned your charger is playing up if this reading is correct, which is not a good thing when dealing with Li-ion batteries.

Even if the light is green a lot of chargers still trickle charge at a very slow rate near the end of recharging, although 7.4v is too low for it to start doing this. Have you tried charging it over a period of time and re-checking the voltage to see if it's still charging? I'd err on the side of caution, i.e don't leave it charging unattended over night.

Based on some of your readings it could just be the voltmeter is still not giving accurate figures.

I threw caution to the wind and left it on the charger all night. This morning it read exactly .... 7.39v. The charger must be bunk. I ordered a Magicshine charger from Action LED Lights.

I think my voltmeter is giving accurate readings now that I installed a new battery. I tested it on AA and 9v batteries and it's giving correct readings.
  • 10-02-2013
    mrbubbles
    2 Attachment(s)
    Just got mine, shipped on the 15th of Sept.

First thing I did was removed the mount and installed a quick release one.

Rubber mounts are ok if they came with a tab but this one did not.

Attachment 836371

Attachment 836372

Very very small and lightweight.

I'd buy another head only for a headlamp if they sold head only.
  • 10-02-2013
    mrbubbles
    I went for an hour ride with it, bright, but floody, almost no spot. It's a shame because the body is perfect for a helmet/headlamp mount.

Wonder if you can swap the optics to spot.
  • 10-02-2013
    Gharddog03
    Quote:

I went for an hour ride with it, bright, but floody, almost no spot. It's a shame because the body is perfect for a helmet/headlamp mount.

Any night pictures?
  • 10-02-2013
    mrbubbles
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gharddog03 View Post
    Any night pictures?

Nope. My night time camera skillz are next to nothing. I'll try to figure out my dslr over the weekend and take some pics. Stay tuned.
  • 10-02-2013
    bhocewar
    Quote:

Allmost positive you can do that. Just pop it out, measure the lens and choose the right one.
  • 10-02-2013
    -Archie-
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kir View Post
    you won't damage anything in battery - all bike lights batteries have protection pcbs in them that will disconnect cells if you'll short circuit connector.

It should be so, but in reality not always safe. I myself burned PCB on early MagicShine battery by accidental shortage, so I'd recommend to avoid "testing" it that way... :)
  • 10-02-2013
    -Archie-
    Quote:

For what it's worth, you can buy tabbed O-rings separately.
  • 10-03-2013
    mrbubbles
    Quote:

Originally Posted by -Archie- View Post
    It should be so, but in reality not always safe. I myself burned PCB on early MagicShine battery by accidental shortage, so I'd recommend to avoid "testing" it that way... :)

On the flip side, the $30 magic shine clone I had had no overvoltage protection, I plugged in a 8.4v fully charged battery and it fried the circuit board.

Quote:

Originally Posted by -Archie- View Post
    For what it's worth, you can buy tabbed O-rings separately.

I did look for them, cheapest I found was $6 on ebay, pricey considering that you can buy solarstorm x2 light only with tabbed o rings for $20.
  • 10-03-2013
    -Archie-
    Quote:

I did look for them, cheapest I found was $6 on ebay, pricey considering that you can buy solarstorm x2 light only with tabbed o rings for $20.

Cheap Silicone O-Ring Seal Mounting Band for SKU 29489/30864 (2-Pack)
  • 10-03-2013
    Bollis
    Sv: Gemini Duo clones
    Quote:

Just got mine, shipped on the 15th of Sept.

First thing I did was removed the mount and installed a quick release one.

Attachment 836371

Attachment 836372

Very very small and lightweight.

I'd buy another head only for a headlamp if they sold head only.

Where did you buy the quick release mount?

Skickat från min GT-I9300 med Tapatalk 4
  • 10-03-2013
    mrbubbles
    That's more reasonable. I still prefer quick release though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bollis View Post
    Where did you buy the quick release mount?

Skickat från min GT-I9300 med Tapatalk 4

I got a bunch of them rummaging through my local bike co-op.

But you can buy them.

Quick-Cam Adjustable Bracket

Locally folks can buy them from here.

Planet Bike Quick Cam Handlebar Bracket - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

I wouldn't wholly recommend these mounts if I had to buy them, it's quite a bit of work, you have to drill a hole in the center, and the allen screw to mount the light takes some dexterity to put on because of the tight spaces.

But once you assembled everything, it's a great mount, very adjustable for different handlebar diameters, and much easier to take off than o rings.

These mounts are actually my preferred mounts for flashlights because they can fit many different flashlight diameters, even 26650 flashlights.

And for different handlebar sizes.

• 10-03-2013
    mrbubbles
    1 Attachment(s)
    I didn't think it was possible but the light beam burned my table sheet fabric.

Somebody need to explain this scientifically.

Attachment 836400
  • 10-03-2013
    -Archie-
    What namely surprises you? Yes, beside of visible spectrum, powerful light emits huge amount of heat as well; you can feel it by putting your hand in front of working light...
  • 10-03-2013
    Cat-man-do
    Quote:

I didn't think it was possible but the light beam burned my table sheet fabric.

Somebody need to explain this scientifically.

Attachment 836400

The fabric is likely sensitive to heat. LED's ( class II ) can produce a good bit of heat.
  • 10-03-2013
    markyboy1980
    Currently waiting (VERY) impatiently for mine to arrive, ordered on the 18th Sept and was shipped on the 20th Sept, I know it was only 2 weeks ago but still...

Anyway... Good to hear initial favourable reports on the light unit. I had the fortune to have a quick play with a Gemini Duo at the Bike Show at the NEC last weekend, and can confirm it was really rather good. So if this is anywhere near as good, for 1/5th of the price I will be ecstatic! :-)
  • 10-06-2013
    fightnut
    I ordered mine from FastTech on 9/12 and I'm STILL waiting for it! I e-mailed them and they said it was held up in "x-ray scan for many days".

Anyway, regarding MrBubbles comment that it's very floody. I wonder if a reflector could be put on one side (assuming the right size exists), for a mix of spot and flood?
  • 10-07-2013
    Sk8r
    Quote:

On the flip side, the $30 magic shine clone I had had no overvoltage protection, I plugged in a 8.4v fully charged battery and it fried the circuit board.

Did the same, is there a repair for this?
  • 10-07-2013
    mrbubbles
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
    Did the same, is there a repair for this?

There is, replace the driver.