Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SlSto View Post
    Of those people who have actually recieved a Yinding light where have you got yours from?
    I got my first from Fasttech. Ordered on Oct 4th (before the whole battery situation).

Second one ordered without battery from here: Latest Unique Design Cree XML 2*U2 Bike Light headlight/lamp Front Light 2300 LM 4 mode-in Bicycle Light from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com
    Received in about three weeks and I now use it with the battery from my deceased MJ-872.

/Johan

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GJHS View Post
    I ordered mine from Fastech on Nov. 8th, it was supposed to ship on the 11th yet didn't because there was no stock. I wrote them and they said it would ship on the 18th when they got more stock, which it did. Today I received my light in the USA. When placing the order, I read the warning about Hong Kong post problems, so I opted for USPS instead, since it was free as well.
    Same situation here. I ordered on Oct 28 (chose USPS shipping), it came in stock on Nov 18, shipped on Nov 20, at my house Dec 3.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Mine arrived from FastTech on the weekend, It appears they are now using cheap connectors to join the battery pack to the light that don't appear very waterproof.
    How waterproof do they need to be?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hard to tell for sure... I was planning to replace the connectors with anyways because I like silicone more than PVC.
    Where did you get such a nice bracket?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaVolt View Post
    Hard to tell for sure... I was planning to replace the connectors with anyways because I like silicone more than PVC.
    Where did you get such a nice bracket?
    Do you have a link to the connectors your on about?
    The bracket is a universal Hope one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Today I received lens and remote button. This is assembled yinding mod.
    The lens gives a more hostpot, and perfect fit Some beamshots here Good XML optic

1. Led-dna 10 deg. optics 10 Degree 21mm Reflector Collimator LED Lens For Cree XML XM-L LED - LEDDNA

2. Remote Mini Din Finger Ring PTT Plug Button Remote Mini DIN Finger Ring PTT Plug Button for Two Way Radio Pro Throat Mic | eBay

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by artemha View Post
    The lens gives a more hostpot, and perfect fit Some beamshots here Good XML optic

1. Led-dna 10 deg. optics 10 Degree 21mm Reflector Collimator LED Lens For Cree XML XM-L LED - LEDDNA

2. Remote Mini Din Finger Ring PTT Plug Button Remote Mini DIN Finger Ring PTT Plug Button for Two Way Radio Pro Throat Mic | eBay
    Great mod! It would be helpful if you showed us how you soldered/attached the remote into the circuit board. Can you place this switch in series or parallel with the original button or did you cut the wires on the built-in button.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The lens gives a more hostpot, and perfect fit

Thanks for sharing. I ordered a couple of different lenses to play around with my two yindings. Hoping a slightly more spotty beam on the helmet and maybe more floody on the bars will prove a useful mod.

Cheers
    /Johan

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    +1 that is a really nice mod

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    Great mod! It would be helpful if you showed us how you soldered/attached the remote into the circuit board. Can you place this switch in series or parallel with the original button or did you cut the wires on the built-in button.
    I solder in parallel. Сut the red sector carefully for passing wires.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I solder in parallel. Сut the red sector carefully for passing wires.

Thanks for the help!
    So this is picture of the unmodified light? Is that correct?
    When you say cut the red sector, do you mean that used a tool to cut a notch into the green board in order to pass the wires through? So you just solder it into bottom of the original button as shown in the second picture.

It's a great mod for a bar light.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    So this is picture of the unmodified light? Is that correct?
    Yes. This photo Kir User review: YINDING YD-2XU2 (Gemini Duo clone)

When you say cut the red sector, do you mean that used a tool to cut a notch into the green board in order to pass the wires through?
    Yes. I use high speed drill and grinding disc.

So you just solder it into bottom of the original button as shown in the second picture.
    Yes.

mtbr member

Absolutely fantastic mod! That remote switch is a super find! Looks almost exactly like the ones on the Gloworms. Nice to hear that the replacement optics work too. Turns out to be the "Poor man's version" of the Gloworm X2. If I already didn't happen to have a handful of GW X2's I would be ordering up a couple of these real quick.

Now if you could only order these Yinding ( Duo clone ) lamp head only at a decent price. $50 for head only is too much. $30 would be more acceptable.

because GIANT

gotta love this review:

"Bright, cheap and works well. 2500 lumens (3000in reality). "

Fact: cree xml l2 led MAX lumens is ~975 (1198 in a lab) and only if it is cooled well.

-->2396 total theoretical maximum from 2xcree latest XML L2<---

no possible way that 2xml light can make more than 1800 or so lumens,
    if at all, since the cooling is gonna be tough
    Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 12-11-2013 at 09:12 AM.

mtbr member
    I just received my duo clone from wallbuys. I ordered it november 9, it shipped november 19th and just arrived today. I did ship with EMS shipping. One thing to note, is that the connectors to the charger/battery/light are different then the Gemini. The center pin is larger on the Clone. I tried using my Gemini charger on the clone battery and the connector wouldn't fit. Just thought I would share.

-tmoney

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Very funny review indeed. The tech stuff should be clear to almost everyone that know XM-L1/2

Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    gotta love this review:

"Bright, cheap and works well. 2500 lumens (3000in reality). "

Fact: cree xml l2 led MAX lumens is ~975 (1198 in a lab) and only if it is cooled well.

-->2396 total theoretical maximum from 2xcree latest XML L2<---

no possible way that 2xml light can make more than 1800 or so lumens,
    if at all, since the cooling is gonna be tough

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I also have the Fasttech Yinding and was disappointed to find that the connectors were different than the Gemini lights/batteries that I already have. The pin on the battery end of the Yinding connector is a larger diameter than the typical Gemini/Magicshine. The Yinding will plug into my Gemini batteries, but not the other way around. I'd like to replace the battery connector with an extra Gemini connector that I have. What's the best way to do this? I'm no electrical expert, but I'm assuming that cutting/splicing on a live battery wire is bad.

Other than that, I've been really happy with the light so far.

Thanks.

because GIANT
    Quote Originally Posted by squak View Post
    I also have the Fasttech Yinding and was disappointed to find that the connectors were different than the Gemini lights/batteries that I already have. The pin on the battery end of the Yinding connector is a larger diameter than the typical Gemini/Magicshine. The Yinding will plug into my Gemini batteries, but not the other way around. I'd like to replace the battery connector with an extra Gemini connector that I have. What's the best way to do this? I'm no electrical expert, but I'm assuming that cutting/splicing on a live battery wire is bad.

Other than that, I've been really happy with the light so far.

Thanks.
    best way is cut/splice/solder/shrinkwrap your own connectors.

it is fine on a live battery just don't short it out by mistake.
    protection circuit should kick off, but the question is: will it ?
    and can it be reset by it's own charger, or will ya brick it ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I thought about it a little more and realized that I didn't need to mess with the Yinding battery. I cut the connector from the charger that came with the Yinding and spliced it to a Gemini connector to make a converter/extension. Problem solved.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mark__gti View Post
    Mine arrived from FastTech on the weekend, It appears they are now using cheap connectors to join the battery pack to the light that don't appear very waterproof.
    How waterproof do they need to be?

I just got mine as well and noticed the connector is basic, no seal to keep out water. Is this normal or did they change it.
    I will say that even after reading, seeing on the forum how small it was, I was amazed. It's a nice light

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    If you look at photos from earlier in this thread the lights have the better connectors. The connectors on my light (received about 3 weeks ago) are the POS ones. I wouldn't trust them to stay connected on a mountain bike ride (or anywhere really). If you're using the Yinding with a Gemini or Magicshine battery you can put a few wraps of electrical tape around the plastic part of the plug to get a secure fit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I would say that mine are snug. I dropped the light by accident and it didn't disconnect at all. I would say waterproof may be an issue for some people; I myself don't ride in the rain. I'm not sure that water would affect it though

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Can anyone with both the clone and the duo do a beamshot comparison or give your opinion on how the two stack up? Im curious to see if the beam patterns are similar. Is one more of a thrower than the other? All in all it looks like a pretty solid effort and definitely worthwhile option. The lightmall sight that has the clone listed for 35 also had some other nice deals including a magicshine single emitter knockoff for 12.50 and some cheap battery packs...I think 8x18650s and 4x26650s fpr just over 20 bucks.im sure the cells arent the best but they should still give decent runtimes for those who are on a budget and dont mind the extra weight penalty

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    There is a thread about batteries: The Battery Thread: 2013 Most knock-off cells have capacity of a random number 700-2000 mAh. Maybe an average about 1200mAh/18650 cell. I am not sure about 26650, but take a look in that thread. Better would be to go with a pannovo battery holder and some reasonable capacity cells that depend on how much runtime do you really need. But decent 2600mAh Sanyo are $8-10 a pair I think (Fasttech, Wallbuys, Banggood,...)

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Just a small post to confirm that the optics from LEDDNA are a perfect fit. I swapped one of the lenses in each of my two Yindings. One for more spot and one for more flood. Will get out to evaluate and see if I'll change the other one as well.
    Gemini Duo clones-yinding_mod.jpg
    Cheers
    /Johan

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Ok I finally got my Duo Clone from Aliexpress. ( XML2 T6 ) I also have the 2013 Gemini Duo,( last years) which has been my go to bar light..Tonight I put them both on the bars to see how they compare.

Beam shots are the same, but I like the original Duo better just for the fact that I like the "whiter" color of the Duo. The clone is more of a yellow natural color, but the Duo has in my opinion a brighter "whiter" color tint.

I will run a runtime comparison tonight to see if there is much of a longer runtime with the XM L2 led.

Overall I like the original Duo better.

Free shipping 1Set CREE XML2 T6 3B Bike Light 1600lm Waterproof Bicycle Light LED HeadLamp+ Charger (without battery)-in Bicycle Light from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com
    Last edited by eggdog; 12-18-2013 at 08:30 PM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I posted to the aforementioned thread and while I am unlikely to purchase any "cheap" packs (I currently run gemini 4's and 6's except for my tail light) I figured I wpuld point them put for the budget c9ncious buyer who happens to already be ordering from that site...although I must admit, the 26650 setup caught my attention. At the end of the day, if the junk china cells hold half the charge of a decent set, 22 dollars for an 8 cell doesn't stack up all that bad to 50+ for a decent 4 cell with equal capacity. As mentioned before weight will be the killer though

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Learning from experience these packs are a hit or miss in the mAh range I wrote with a greater chance to miss. The 8 cell 4S2P pack of 700mAh cells would be 2800mAh at 8.4V, for $22 you are close to $12 pannovo and $10 for a pair of 2600-2800 Sanyo or maybe Panasonic cells and the killer weight will be about 1/4 of the 8 cell pack. I bought a light that came with a pack of ~700mAh cells inside, I wrote to the seller, then I got a better pack, but still ~1100mAh cells inside.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Modig did you buy these optics as well?

15, 45, 60 degrees Lens for CREE XML XM-L LED - LEDDNA

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quick question. What size is the small front hex screw for the duo and its clones and where is a good source to to pick up the tools?

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by eggdog View Post
    Quick question. What size is the small front hex screw for the duo and its clones and where is a good source to to pick up the tools?
    1.5mm allen, I have a few Bondhus Allen sets. Better hardware stores should carry them, or an equivalent.
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Modig View Post
    Just a small post to confirm that the optics from LEDDNA are a perfect fit. I swapped one of the lenses in each of my two Yindings. One for more spot and one for more flood. Will get out to evaluate and see if I'll change the other one as well.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yinding_mod.jpg 
Views:	715 
Size:	179.2 KB 
ID:	855848
    Cheers
    /Johan
    I just received the same 10 deg optics. Do yours fit "over" the led? Mine rest pretty tight on the led, and as hot as these things get I assume that might melt the optics. How are yours fitting. I tried it on a clones as well as the original duo with the same results.

Light freak
    eggdog - take one of your existing screws to Ace Hardware as they have a pretty good selection of hardware (Green Mountain Ace since I believe you are a Front Ranger). Find the metric nuts and try to find one that will thread onto your screw, that will tell you the size and thread pitch. If it is the screw end that is stripped, then put the screw shafts side by side and find one that the threads mate up (interlace) with each other. This will get you the correct thread pitch. I am suspecting it is something like a 4mm with a .7 thread pitch, but I am just guessing based on the photos I have seen.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    If any of you guys happen to get part numbers/relevant info on the bolts please put it here - I think many will agree it would feel good to have a spare set just in case.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaVolt View Post
    If any of you guys happen to get part numbers/relevant info on the bolts please put it here - I think many will agree it would feel good to have a spare set just in case.
    The bolts aren't the problem, a spare set of holes is whats required. These are somewhat harder to find at the hardware store.

Light freak
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit View Post
    The bolts aren't the problem, a spare set of holes is whats required. These are somewhat harder to find at the hardware store.

Dr Gadget is IN
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit View Post
    When I had a bolt break off in a Cateye I was messing with - I drilled out the bolt and put in a helicoil. Solved the problem, but you do have to buy the kit:

Tap, Installation Tool, and 12 Inserts Per Kit for $30

And a drill bit (not in kit) of the size spec'ed in the kit.

You do have to find out the size/pitch to get the right kit, but here's 4mmx0.70 NC
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

Light freak
    You need to verify the actual thread size and pitch. I was just guessing based on pictures.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Anyone tried any carclo optics in these? The carclo optics appear to be 20mm x 10 mm which seems to be close to spot on with the size of the optics as measured on page 3 of this thread.

Dr Gadget is IN
    Quote Originally Posted by scar View Post
    You need to verify the actual thread size and pitch. I was just guessing based on pictures.

Ha! Since I finally received my lights from DX, I checked a screw with my calipers: 2mm. Looking up pitch, it's either coarse (0.40) or fine (0.25). Kinda looked like 0.40 (width of one thread), but that was just a quick look. Helicoil lists a kit for M2x0.40

Dr Gadget is IN
    Ok, so I got 2 YINDING YD-2XU2 DuoClones -
    and 10/45/60° lenses from LED-DNA via ebay:
    Diameter : 21mm
    Height : 12.5mm
    Lense Material : PMMA
    Lense Holder Color : White
    Holder Material : ABS

The white plastic "holder" snaps off, and is not used. OEM lense is expected to be DuoClone as well, nominal 15°.

No pics of lenses installed but somebody else did that. The 10° and OEM 15° look very similar, with the 15° having a bigger "hole" thru the middle. 45° and 60° are difficult to tell apart just looking at them.

Beam shots! I tried to approximate the setup from the 2013 MTBR bike lights shootout tunnel beam patterns
    Cinder blocks at 20/40/60 yards, and a 55 gallon drum at 80 yards.
    My camera setup was: (I note that this is the first time I've tried using the camera in anything but "point-N-shoot" mode, so could be better)
    Camera: Canon SD870IS
    Setting: Full manual
    ISO: 200
    Exposure Compensation: +1 2/3 (1.6 seconds?)
    Aperture: F4.0 (I think - saw this displayed at one point)
    White Balance: Daylight
    Flash: off
    Metering mode: evaluative

All shots at highest light power. I also did a 25 yard "side of shop" setup, but at that range there is little to no difference between lenses.

Aim point was approximately the 20 yard cinder block for all.

10° lense:
    Gemini Duo clones-img_4738s10d.jpg

OEM 15° lense:
    Gemini Duo clones-img_4747soem15d.jpg

45° lense:
    Gemini Duo clones-img_4744s45d.jpg

60° lense:
    Gemini Duo clones-img_4741s60d.jpg

Looking at the pics, the OEM 15° and 45° lenses reach almost as far - but there is no "spot" to the 45°, it's all even light.

Both the 45° and 60° lenses really spread to the sides, which is not apparent with this framing. The 60° goes farther to the sides, as it should.

The 10° lense gives good reach, and mounting it on the helmet and combining with the 60° lense on the bars gives a good field of light from the front axle out to 80 yards. I took a series of pics with this combo - but I must have bumped the camera mount because the pics were off to the side, not showing much of value. I was worried about intensity/color difference between the spot and flood (based on some halogen experience where the flood needed to be 20W to balance a 15W spot), but this didn't appear to be a problem in the static setup. I'm planning a New Year's Eve nightride tonite using the 10/60 combo, so I'll report back after that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I myself am away from home and I don't have my Yinding on me now. My threads seemed to be ok but the heads of the screws were worn out - maybe because the seller replaced stock leds with T6 ones.

I am not so sure I would be able to safely unscrew and then tighten these screws back in the future, and I did have plans - like, adding a remote button. Would be nice to get a spare set with a torx head instead of a hex one.

So if anyone manages to get the sizes of these screws (thread, pitch, length, head diameter) I'd greatly appreciate that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    is it possible to buy the Yinding lighthead only somewhere? I already have a bunch of batterys and chargers and would like to have another Yinding lighthead only...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wadester View Post
    10° lense:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4738s10d.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	229.1 KB 
ID:	858895
    I've also received those lens and can also confirm that those 10° has a spottier beam than the stock 15°, I like the beam pattern much more. Recommend.

Dr Gadget is IN
    I got out for a ride on New Year's Eve - using the 10/60 hat/bar combo. Started out at twilight, low worked fine. As dark came on, I turned them both up to mid level - which worked well enough that I didn't try high at all.

I've promised to take pics of the 10d lense fit in the housing/on the LED - but I haven't been near my 1.5mm allen wrench with time available as yet.

I also plan to take a pic of the 10/60 combo in the style as before.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I currently got my Yinding from Wallbuys. Wow, so tiny and sooo bright!

I found out, that my light got a different cable, that apparently doesn't match a Magicshine extension cable.

Left is the light, right the battery pack.

As I want to change to a better battery in the near future I am looking for a Yinding that matches a Magicshine cable. To those that have a Yinding with Magicshine-style plugs, whery did you buy yours?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I think the currant batch of yinding lights have the same connector you've posted. I got mine from fasttech and its the same as yours

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have the Original Gemini Duo and a clone that was purchased for Ali Express, and both fit the Magicshine battery connections just fine. Although the clone from Ali Express came with stripped screws so be aware from this reseller.

Dr Gadget is IN
    I had a chance to take the lights back apart to check clearance today. And found that in the process of swapping lenses backNforth the other night I managed to put a set of OEM's back in the hat light. Since they worked well on the trail, I look forward to hotter spot of the 10d's on the next ride.

Here's the lenses just sitting in the housing:
    OEM's
    Gemini Duo clones-img_4769s.jpg
    10d's
    Gemini Duo clones-img_4774s.jpg

Two things to note - 1) there is no gap between the lenses and the housing. They are not touching the LED's, and in fact will move around side to side if you push them (just a tad). I verified this with some depth measurements - but the pics didn't come out. About 0.5mm clearance with both lenses.
    2) note the thickness of the flange on the OEM, and the thinner flange on the 10d. With the cover on and tight, you can shake the light and hear the 10d's rattle a bit. The 60d lenses have a thicker flange and do not rattle.

Clearance around the LED's:
    OEM's
    Gemini Duo clones-img_4768s.jpg
    10d's
    Gemini Duo clones-img_4776s.jpg

The smaller hole in the 10d's still leaves the LED and it's bubble lense clear. A bit of the corners of the LED package are obscured - but as above, they are not actually touching.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast