Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by whokilledJR View Post
    How did you find the mode spacing?
    Good question. I wouldn't mind if the "low" was lower.
    When I'm riding, I always have it on high. I don't mess around with switching modes when I'm going slower or faster, climbing or descending. I just leave it on high.

But when we're stopped to re-group, or for trail side repairs, or even when I sneak off for a pee, I'd like a lower low to save battery and so I'm not blinding people.
    Not a big deal, but it would nice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkman View Post
    Is there a big difference between the Solarstorm X2 and the YinDing light? Is it worth it?
    There was one Solarstorm X2 on last nights ride. Unfortunately, there were so many riders, and so many lights going at any one time, that I just didn't get a chance to talk to the guy and compare it to my Duo clone.

I'm hoping I run into him again on another ride, because I do want to compare the beam and the throw between the two lights.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut View Post
    There was one Solarstorm X2 on last nights ride. Unfortunately, there were so many riders, and so many lights going at any one time, that I just didn't get a chance to talk to the guy and compare it to my Duo clone.

I'm hoping I run into him again on another ride, because I do want to compare the beam and the throw between the two lights.
    There are differences in the quality of the light, but the technical things are nearly the same, right? I think the luminous power and is the same?!

mtbr member

I think you'll find ( when you catch up to him ) that the SSX2 will have a bit more throw. On the other hand I have a feeling that the Duo clones are going to be better for more spill, hence make a better bar light than the SSX2. A good ( cheap ) combo set-up might be a SSX2 on the helmet and a Duo clone on the bars. Still all things considered while I may like the SSX2 on the helmet it still doesn't beat out the intense spot that a good single XM-L2 emitter reflector lamp can put out. Larger reflectors just rock.

I'm going out to test my new Gloworm X2. I'll post up later...see ya.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    So any links to the Duo clone light head only?

I purchased one set from FasTech last Tuesday(still not shipped) but would like another one if it is ~$25.

Chris.

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Considering when we started, there was a sea of green leds on (17 riders with a LOT of various Magichines, and MS clones), and by the end of the ride there was a sea of blue, orange and red leds, I was pretty happy that mine was still green :-)
    Magicshines have 4 stages battery indicator, Yinding has basically 2 stages (100-30% green, 30-25% red, 5-0% red blinking) - so don't be happy heh.
    My own Yinding has ~3500mAh battery and draws about 1.7A on high. So while it does have almost the same brightness as SSX2 its battery will only work for about 2-2.5 hours on high.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    But when we're stopped to re-group, or for trail side repairs, or even when I sneak off for a pee, I'd like a lower low to save battery and so I'm not blinding people.
    Not a big deal, but it would nice.
    I like having a "hidden" low low for things like map reading or pretty much any non-riding time. By "hidden" I mean that it is a mode accessed by something like a press and hold for 3 seconds. I don't want it in a rotation with the riding levels. Low enough so the map isn't blown out with too much light reflection.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Kir View Post
    Magicshines have 4 stages battery indicator, Yinding has basically 2 stages (100-30% green, 30-25% red, 5-0% red blinking) - so don't be happy heh.
    My own Yinding has ~3500mAh battery and draws about 1.7A on high. So while it does have almost the same brightness as SSX2 its battery will only work for about 2-2.5 hours on high.
    Considering my rides are under two hours anyway, and this is the stock battery, trust me, I'm happy :-)

I can always spend a little extra money and get a better battery if I felt the need, but I don't see the need just yet.

But I do carry a spare battery anyway. Since I use two lights, only makes sense to have one extra battery, just incase something fails, gets damaged in a crash, etc.

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by krzysiekmz View Post
    So any links to the Duo clone light head only?

I purchased one set from FasTech last Tuesday(still not shipped) but would like another one if it is ~$25.

Chris.
    I talked with the seller of these lights on aliexpress.
    Light head only will cost $35-40 if you order 10-50 pieces. Complete set can be bought for $40-45 for same quanity, so imo its not worth it to buy only the head.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Gemini Duo clones

Just went out for my first ride with two Yindings I got from fastech. Shipping was about 3 weeks from order which I found acceptable.

I have been night riding on and off since the good old days of the dual beam night suns 20 years ago. My latest setup was a Baja Designs origional Stryker and the original magicshine on the helmet.

These two tiny lights blew away every other setup I have ever had (but to be honest I always have been a bit cheap with the lights). After a two hour ride both lights were still green using a combo of low through high. I used the stock battery on one an the Baja designs battery on the other. I was very impressed that these lights are available for 50 bucks.

Would be nice if some tighter optics would be available for the helmet light but honestly I am not really into tinkering with them but as soon as someone figures out what will drop right in I will order up.

mtbr member
    Sweet set-up. Might pull the trigger on one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Great thread, can anyone compare the light pattern from the original vs. the clone? looking for a headlite and wondering if the original duo is more of a spot?
    Thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Has anyone seen these yet with the new XM-L2 emitters? I am planning on ordering a couple of these, but not sure if I should wait and see if the new models show up soon.
    2012 Carbon Flash
    2012 Epic
    2011 Anthem X

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Well mine FINALLY arrived from Fasttech today, a mere 5 weeks since I ordered it!

Anyway... Rant over... Battery is currently on charge, but the light head unit seems exceptionally well made compared to other "cheapo chinese" light head units I've seen. Just hoping it's as good as the initial beam patterns thrown up on this thread so far suggest it should be, and that the battery is significantly better than the rubbish ones the Solarstorm X2's are coming with!

Will post more later when I've tried it out...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Incidentally...

I've had a play with a Gemini Duo fairly recently (and it was superb), and aside from the 3 grooves in the fins on the top of the body, this light head is not so much a clone of the Gemini, but is more likely actually the same unit!

I'll see if I can get hold of a Gemini again and do some measurements to compare them, but I'd be very surprised if they don't come out of the same factory.

I can't speak for the batteries though, I know the Gemini's ship with high quality Samsung cell packs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by markyboy1980 View Post
    Incidentally...

I've had a play with a Gemini Duo fairly recently (and it was superb), and aside from the 3 grooves in the fins on the top of the body, this light head is not so much a clone of the Gemini, but is more likely actually the same unit!

I'll see if I can get hold of a Gemini again and do some measurements to compare them, but I'd be very surprised if they don't come out of the same factory.
    WoW, I love my duo's. If that's the case I would buy a few.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharddog03 View Post
    WoW, I love my duo's. If that's the case I would buy a few.
    Well to be fair, the driver will be different too (doesn't appear to be programmable), and annoyingly it cycles low/med/high/off so you have to go through off each time to come back to low or medium! Ah well...

Here's some VERY rubbish beam shots to compare... First up is the Yinding on High...

Gemini Duo clones-yinding-high.jpg

Then here's my Exposure Toro Mk3 on high...

Gemini Duo clones-toro-high.jpg

You'll notice that the Toro has a narrower, more focussed beam. I'd say that crap photography aside, the Toro is slightly brighter in the centre of the beam (so probably has a bit more throw), but the Yinding has WAY more spread which will make it a much better offroad light than the Toro is (and most of the cheap XML's).

And here's my Joystick Mk7 on high for comparison too...

Gemini Duo clones-joystick-high.jpg

Other things to note. The Yinding starts to warm up pretty quickly, suggesting the LED's have been connected well by lots of thermal compound to the head unit. Overall quality seems very high, and I'm impressed with it for what it cost. Even on low power, the light is plenty useable for moderate paced offroad riding, and medium beam is more than enough for anything except full on DH trail riding at night. Beam pattern wise, it's mildly reminiscent of my old Troutie Lumen Liberator (though not quite as broad) which is easily the best offroad light I've ever used. I will however be keeping my Toro for road riding at night though, cos the tighter more focussed beam (and built in battery) make it much better suited for that purpose.

mtbr member
    I have a Gemini Duo that I purchased from Jim at ActionLED. My question is do these clones have the ability to program the modes? My gemini will allow you to adjust the Hi Med Low settings in 10% power increments. So for example you can have a Hi of 90% Med of 40% and Low of 20% if you want or have a Hi of 100% med of 80% and Low of 60%. Pretty cool feature! Seems like a great deal on a bike light regardless.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoney View Post
    I have a Gemini Duo that I purchased from Jim at ActionLED. My question is do these clones have the ability to program the modes?
    No

Sadly not. But I'd say the 3 modes it does have are well thought out. Don't have a multimeter available to measure current, but I'd guess low is about 30-40% and medium is 60-70% is high is taken to be 100%.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Got my Yinding 2xXM-L U2 from Fasttech today (20 days from order).

Tried it at home and snapped some comparison shots for reference. Nothing like proper beamshots but thought they might be of interest.

It really is tiny
    Gemini Duo clones-filename%3Dcomp.jpg

Floodier than the 3xXML. Will probably feel like shorter throw in use.
    Gemini Duo clones-filename%3D3xxml_vs_yinding.jpg

Brighter, cooler colour and less floody than the Magicshine MJ-872
    Gemini Duo clones-filename%3Dmj872_vs_yinding.jpg

Finally. A lot brighter, whiter and floodier than my old MJ808 (P7)
    Gemini Duo clones-filename%3Dp7_vs_yinding.jpg

I think, changing one lens to more spot would make this a really really good helmet light.
    Cheers
    /Johan

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Nice shots modig.
    I'm interested in seeing how the 2x compares to the 3x out in the real world.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Extremely bluish...hope some of this is reflect of the blue housing anodisation.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Nice shots modig.
    I'm interested in seeing how the 2x compares to the 3x out in the real world.
    Thanks. I'll try to get out and make some proper comparison shots and post back here.

/Johan

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bhocewar View Post
    Extremely bluish...hope some of this is reflect of the blue housing anodisation.
    No, I have a red one, and I'd say his photos are pretty spot on (I also have the 3 XML he's comparing it to).

However, when out on the trail, and using both of these lights together (the Duo clone and the triple XML), I don't really see the "blue" tint so much, if at all.

mtbr member
    Thanks Markyboy180 and Modig for the pics!
    It looks smaller then my Duo.

Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast