Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wadester View Post
    I had a chance to take the lights back apart to check clearance today. And found that in the process of swapping lenses backNforth the other night I managed to put a set of OEM's back in the hat light. Since they worked well on the trail, I look forward to hotter spot of the 10d's on the next ride.

Here's the lenses just sitting in the housing:
    OEM's
    Attachment 859559
    10d's
    Attachment 859560

Two things to note - 1) there is no gap between the lenses and the housing. They are not touching the LED's, and in fact will move around side to side if you push them (just a tad). I verified this with some depth measurements - but the pics didn't come out. About 0.5mm clearance with both lenses.
    2) note the thickness of the flange on the OEM, and the thinner flange on the 10d. With the cover on and tight, you can shake the light and hear the 10d's rattle a bit. The 60d lenses have a thicker flange and do not rattle.

Clearance around the LED's:
    OEM's
    Attachment 859561
    10d's
    Attachment 859562

The smaller hole in the 10d's still leaves the LED and it's bubble lense clear. A bit of the corners of the LED package are obscured - but as above, they are not actually touching.
    Do you have the actual link to your 10 deg lens? The ones I purchased seem higher in height than yours. Mine Definitely rest on the actual LED and press quite hard if I try to close it.

Dr Gadget is IN
    Quote Originally Posted by eggdog View Post
    Do you have the actual link to your 10 deg lens? The ones I purchased seem higher in height than yours. Mine Definitely rest on the actual LED and press quite hard if I try to close it.
    Here's the link:5PCS x 10 Degree 21mm Reflector Collimator LED Lens For Cree XML XM-L LED

They list the height as 12.5mm, but my calipers say 11.4mm. It's difficult to measure either the flange height or the "depth" from flange bottom to base, but depth is about 10.3mm.

The 60d I checked is 11.7mm height, depth about 10.1mm.

The depth from where the lense flange sits to the LED package top is about 10.8mm. Which implies .4mm lense/LED clearance - which I measured at .5mm earlier.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    2) note the thickness of the flange on the OEM, and the thinner flange on the 10d. With the cover on and tight, you can shake the light and hear the 10d's rattle a bit. The 60d lenses have a thicker flange and do not rattle.
    Acctualy this is a good thing. While original setup is missing o-rings around the optics, now you can install o-rings (18-19mm ID, d=1mm). You seal the front panel + get perfect fit. I think this upgrade is a must!

Dr Gadget is IN
    Quote Originally Posted by bhocewar View Post
    Acctualy this is a good thing. While original setup is missing o-rings around the optics, now you can install o-rings (18-19mm ID, d=1mm). You seal the front panel + get perfect fit. I think this upgrade is a must!
    Actually, my DX sourced Yindings have an o-ring between the top of the lense and the housing cover. Flourescent green silicone.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Actually, my DX sourced Yindings have an o-ring between the top of the lense and the housing cover. Flourescent green silicone.
    My fasttech one has the same that glow in the dark.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Does your DX yinding have MS connector?, flat or dimpled lenses? what does your mount look like? Do you have silicone gasket or 2 o-rings?
    Mine didnt have any seals around lenses, because there was no room, but then I installed LED-DNA optics 10+25 that has thiner flange and 1mm thick o-ring makes perfect fit and better beam pattern (for me)

The battery seems not so bad. 1h on full on green, 1,5h on full on red (no brightness fade), 0,5h on full on red (some brightness fade) then complete cut off - battery protection.
    No red blinking warning.

Dr Gadget is IN
    Does your DX yinding have MS connector?
    I'm not sure what connector MS (Magicshine?)has, but these are standard DC coax push fit connectors: 5.5 mm OD, 2.5 mm ID, 9.5mm long. Very common, and what I use on all my DIY stuff. Same as the old NiteRider incandescents.

flat or dimpled lenses?
    These are the original lenses - flat across the face:

what does your mount look like?
    Just like these:

Do you have silicone gasket or 2 o-rings?
    They have an o-ring around each lense, and the base seal shown here:

Don't know how this got here -
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Has anyone opened up a duo clone from the second batch and compared the internal workings to pictures of the original batch? I wonder whether any shortcuts have been made here as well? i did try last night but didn't have the right size hex key (1.5?).

mtbr member
    I just got mine in a little while ago. I made a simple mount for it to connect to a GoPro mount. Should be pretty solid and easy to use. I will give it a go this evening to see how it does. It is 10 degrees now outside, going to be cold!

Also, mine came in a different light's box. I was about to be really mad until I opened it up!

Gemini Duo clones-p4pb10481588.jpg

-Brett
    Last edited by Carraig042; 01-06-2014 at 06:09 PM.
    Visit my Youtube channel for lots of DH and XC videos!
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon
    2011 Spec Demo 8
    GoPro HD Hero

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Has anyone else preformed a runtime test with a hunk lee 2 cell 18650 Panasonic 3400mah battery pack?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The outcome will vary depending on what version of clone you get. You should be able to get 1.5-2 hours on high with that pack based on the results from Kir's review.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    as I know wallbuys also have the CREE XM-L2 T6-3B LED yinding bike lamp, and their price is 50$(with charger and battery pack)

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    What's the best place to get the original unmodified version of this light?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    What's the best place to get the original unmodified version of this light?
    But 3b bin version.
    Free shipping 1Set CREE XML2 T6 3B Bike Light 1600lm Waterproof Bicycle Light LED HeadLamp+ Charger (without battery)-in Bicycle Light from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I think DX is the best place

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    At wallbuys:
    $48.48 Yinding 2 x CREE XM-L2 T6-3B 1600LM 4-Mode Dual Head White LED Bicycle Lamp + 8.4v Battery Pack + Charger-Black

With coupon code LEDWALLBUYS14 you get the lamp with batteries for $45.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Reading on the other thread (Kir's review) it says that the aliexpress light has stripped threads and the wallbuys light comes with different optics and a poor mount.

Has anyone who bought this light in the last months received a good one?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    rumors are from what I read here that from D/X it is OK.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    No, I can confirm that even DX doesnt have original first batch anymore(ordered 2013-12-1). The same as ones from fasttech, lightmalls, wallbuys...
    (different optics, connector, mount, missing o-rings, some have XMLs and some newer versions have XML2s)

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    So we have to accept the fact the first good batch is gone

because GIANT
    crap

world best crappy clone the yinding couldn't keep up with it's own fame

I have three, dimpled TIR, U2, clear silicone O rings, with good screws, and snap
    connectors, and I reckon that will never be achieved again based on reports

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yeah that sucks. I was thinking of getting one of these. I want a slightly wider beam than solarstorm x2, which the original clone had. I think the new clone (2nd batch) has a narrow beam.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Aside from these minor differences I believe you still have a very good light. It still has the same body which is well designed and has good thermal pathways compared to solarstorm and fandyfire lights. I believe the beam is still good when compared to the single xm-l lights i have used. You also have a light that has great opportunities for modding if that is your desire. The issue with the screws only seems to apply to the aliexpress lights.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlSto View Post
    The issue with the screws only seems to apply to the aliexpress lights.
    Nah I got a stripped thread on my Fasttech one.
    Still considering one for the helmet though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit View Post
    Nah I got a stripped thread on my Fasttech one.
    Still considering one for the helmet though.
    Was that the screw on the front plate?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlSto View Post
    Was that the screw on the front plate?
    No, one of the long screws holding the LED board down and the back and middle together. It was probably cross threaded during a rushed assembly (so it held together until I opened it). Fixed by grinding the LED board down to half thickness so The screw went a bit deeper.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I got very dodgy threads from wallbuys. But they hold for now

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I got very dodgy threads from wallbuys. But they hold for now
    How was your recent DX one? I shalln't be trying to remove those bolts then just in case. I also have a 2nd batch fasttech one. I did order a first batch one before they went out of stock but it got lost in the fasttech/HK post dispute at the end of October and never showed. I do still check the tracking in the hope my first batch clone might find its way to me!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    A friend got it from DX and I didnt actualy got it in my hands. Will change that soon.

I like turtles
    If you don't take it apart is there an issue with the threads to just to use it as is?
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

agu
    mtbr member

Gemini Duo clones

Just received my Wallbuys Yinding. Definitely isn't a first-gen, more like a second-gen one with the non-locking connectors, flat optics and no o-rings. Looks alright but a better battery/battery pack would be the first thing I'd change. Was hoping to pair this with an old NR Minewt but the NR stopped working just today. Odd that. May just purchase another from WallBuys to replace it.

I like turtles
    ^^^Bummer...sometime it does pay to be an early adopter!

agu
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    ^^^Bummer...sometime it does pay to be an early adopter!
    Haha, yes. Did a quick night ride from the shop to home - it was mounted on the bars. It sure is brighter than the dearly departed Nite Rider Minewt...

Fashioned a helmet mount from spare GoPro bits. Used a longish 3mm allen bolt from an old lock-on grip to secure it to the light. Worked great during a quick spin. Now I need another Yinding for the bar!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gemini Duo clones-1.jpg  

Gemini Duo clones-2.jpg  

Gemini Duo clones-3.jpg  

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    FYI

I have recently picked up the yinding from wallbuys, got the blue one

including the day I clicked submit order, it took 14 days to get the light
    in my mailbox in Massachusetts. that is pretty fast for shanghai

I was able to track the shipment 100% of the time on this site

International Track and Trace service

I am extremely happy with it. for the loot, it is pretty well built. I will
    replace the 4400 8.4 with my own dx pannovo 8.4
    PANNOVO B-C04 Water Resistant 4 x 18650 Battery Pack Case for Bike Lamp - Black - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

and fill it with 3100x4 18650 protecteds

------------
    no problem with charger, in fact it works properly

red to probe battery at 8.4 volts, then sniff volts
    red as charging
    yellow to indicate problem and retry cycle
    green to indicate charged
    would not charge my cold battery pack, it would blink red then
    quit fast to off, then probe it again...it kept doing this for 1/2 hour
    until pack warmed up. I know to never charge cold lithiums, but I
    wanted to see what the charger would do.

at the end of it all, leaves the pack fully charged at 8.21-8.17

When stopped in the woods for a bit, I find the light cycled from hi to a bit dimmer, then high again, with the cycle increasing the duration of the lower mode the longer
    I waited...I did not stop long enough to see if it would cut out completely
    it was 32 deg and frost forming, so maybe it was always just cool enough

of all the expensive lights I have owned and also my pile o' cheap chinese clones,
    this is the best built cloned one, tinest, and most practical (really works to light up the woods)

real or faux xml's ? don't care, works great, paid under 50
    I looked at them with a loupe and cannot tell a difference in the dome
    or phosphor/substrate vs thrunite tn11 xml u2, so it seems legit

-- it is the tiniest lightest brightest cheap deal going afaik --
    That battery case is pretty cool. I might go that route if I take up the Chinese Light thing again. Does it have some sort of charge regulation/balancing circuit? Or, do you just remove the cells and charge them in a stand-alone charger?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Unfortunately no regulation or balancing circuit. For balancing purposes you just remove the cells and charge them individualy in multichanell or hobby charger.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by ledoman View Post
    Unfortunately no regulation or balancing circuit. For balancing purposes you just remove the cells and charge them individualy in multichanell or hobby charger.
    Well, now that I think about it, that isn't a deal breaker. Not a big deal to pop the cells out and stick them in a charger. I assume you want to use protected cells for that. Come to think of it. Deal Extreme sent me an order for somebody else. In that order, I got two 18650 chargers and a few sweet flashlights. DX didn't want to bother with me shipping them back. . I'm most of the way to making that battery pack work already.

Dang, that Gemini Duo clone is looking pretty swank. I saw the head only somewhere for $32. I'm super tempted.... and I'm already flush in lights in my bike shop. Are the current crop of Gemini Duo clones still of decent enough quality? I also love the mod-ability of them. I would probably go for wider angle optics. I'm thinking bar light(s).
    Last edited by pimpbot; 02-03-2014 at 04:58 PM.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by artemha View Post
    Today I received lens and remote button. This is assembled yinding mod.
    The lens gives a more hostpot, and perfect fit Some beamshots here Good XML optic

1. Led-dna 10 deg. optics 10 Degree 21mm Reflector Collimator LED Lens For Cree XML XM-L LED - LEDDNA

2. Remote Mini Din Finger Ring PTT Plug Button Remote Mini DIN Finger Ring PTT Plug Button for Two Way Radio Pro Throat Mic | eBay
    That push button is pretty dang cool. It was the one major thing I missed about my LightBrain halogen light controller board. That thing was cool (for halogen). You click the button for brightness up, and hold it down for brightness down.

I'm thinking I might wanna mod my NiteRider Dual700 light with this button to get easy control access from the bars. The NR basically clicks through high-med-low and back to high. Hold it down to power off. Oddly, my Lumina650 is the opposite.

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ledoman View Post
    This is precisely what I want to do. I already run 18650's in flashlights and invested in an xtar wp6 charger....I'm buying a light head and making a pack
    CDT

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Hi

I know this might just be another clone, but has anyone got any experience with Ultrafires, like this -

UltraFire LZZ-U3 2 x CREE XM-L2 U3 4-Mode 1800lm White Bike Light / Headlamp - Black (4 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

They have (or are supposed to have) xm-l2 U3 leds which apparently have better light output for the same current compared to other Cree LEDs.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by whichway View Post
    Hi

I know this might just be another clone, but has anyone got any experience with Ultrafires, like this -

UltraFire LZZ-U3 2 x CREE XM-L2 U3 4-Mode 1800lm White Bike Light / Headlamp - Black (4 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

They have (or are supposed to have) xm-l2 U3 leds which apparently have better light output for the same current compared to other Cree LEDs.

Thanks
    I just stumbled across that exact model and was wondering the same thing.

Edit: I took the plunge and ordered one. See my post elsewhere.
    Last edited by hidperf; 03-06-2014 at 08:06 PM.

I like turtles
    ^^^There was a review someone on either this thread or the other Duo clone thread about the clone of the Yindling (a clone of a clone!). Apparently not quite a well-built and some other minor issues with the mount.

I like turtles
    The battery on that one looks interesting...like a hard-shell case. The light looks to have a long cable and the battery is just a female end. I wonder if they are nice MS-type connectors or not?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by whichway View Post
    Hi

Thanks
    Well I decided to roll the dice and ordered one. Fingers crossed that it is what it says it is AND it's good build quality.

I also ordered one of these while I was ordering. Buy Cree XM-L2 U2 864lm 3-Mode White Bicycle Light Headlamp - Grey + Silver (4 x 18650)

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by hidperf View Post
    Well I decided to roll the dice and ordered one. Fingers crossed that it is what it says it is AND it's good build quality.

I also ordered one of these while I was ordering. Buy Cree XM-L2 U2 864lm 3-Mode White Bicycle Light Headlamp - Grey + Silver (4 x 18650)
    I have two I bough off amazon.com for $31 amazon prime, but mine are the 3 CREE LED ones and these are FREAKING BRIGHT.

NEW 3800lm 3x Cree Xm-l T6 Led Outdoor Headlight Headlamp Bicycle / Bike Light - Amazon.com

-=Jason=-

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

German customers - Info from Wallbuys

Yinding Headlamp

Dear valued customers,

Thanks for your support on Wallbuys.

We got feedback from our customers that some packages of Yinding Headlamp couldn't pass the inspection on Germany. We suggest German customers do not purchase these items (SKU 13047, 11613, 10808, 10809) until we solve this issue with our supplier.

Please rest assures we will handle it soon.

2/11/2014

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    These boneheads need to stop trying to sell this light with batteries. Where's my lighthead-only option for $35?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    There is @Lightmalls but the cloned clone only not the original one

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

New question here.

Hi all MBR

WOW Interesting thread but I still have a question as my MS 808 looking and bit tied, beam getting a tint of yellow but it over three years so for the money a great light.

To questions I been looking at YINDING YD-2XU2 2 x Cree XM-L U2 1200lm & a very similar light UltraFire LZZ-U3 2 x CREE XM-L2 U3 4-Mode 1800lm

Should I read to much into the stats & lumens?
    UltraFire has more lumens & range but is it a better in build?

YINDING
    LED Type XM-L
    Battery Configuration 4 x 18650
    Brightness 1200 lm
    Runtime 2~3 hours
    Beam Range 200m
    UltraFire
    LED Type XM-L2
    Power Supply 1 x 18650 Battery Pack
    Theoretical Lumens 2000lumens
    Actual Lumens 1800 lumens
    Runtime 2~3Hour
    Beam Range 250m
    Lights seen on dx.com

Many Thanks
    Smoke&Lasers

mtbr member
    Those are Chinese stats and are meaningless! Go by users reviews and experiences or take a chance. These lights are often produced in the same factories and sold under different names. That Yinding has been hit or miss and mostly miss lately. I would lean toward the "Convoy" Yinding sold by Simon on AliExpress (though others don't recommend him). It's a bit pricey at $45 light head only though. There are pics in a recent thread here.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Hi Garrybunk

Those are Chinese stats and are meaningless!
    O right I thought the lumens figures may have been massage.

I'm in the UK I not heard of AliExpress before.

Thanks for reply

mtbr member
    Finally bought a pair of the clones off Wallbuys in 3B tint with battery etc ~$51(w/charger & battery), they have the Magicshine connectors and dimpled lens, already had a ton of GoPro mounts so got some of the GoPro adapters from Vancbiker over in the DIY thread, pretty awesome stuff at a good price. Here's one mounted up with 2 cell Magicshine battery.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gemini Duo clones-wallbuys.jpg  

Last edited by socal_jack; 03-16-2014 at 10:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by socal_jack View Post
    Finally bought a pair of the clones off Wallbuys in 3B tint with battery etc ~$51(w/charger & battery), they have the Magicshine connectors and dimpled lens, already had a ton of GoPro mounts so got some of the GoPro adapters from Vancbiker over in the DYI thread, pretty awesome stuff at a good price. Here's one mounted up with 2 cell Magicshine battery.
    Very nice helmet set-up. Well done.

If you could provide a better close-up of the Go-Pro mount / lamp that would be nice.

At some point someone needs to start a thread on "helmet mount solutions" so other people can better set-up their own helmet mount system.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    At some point someone needs to start a thread on "helmet mount solutions" so other people can better set-up their own helmet mount system.
    I agree. I'm trying to figure out how to mount my lights and possibly my camera. I've gotten nowhere so far.

mtbr member
    I got these 12" Velcro straps at REI, $2 for 2 roughly and replaced the straps that came with the GoPro helmet mount. Adapter as mentioned is from user Vancbiker in the DIY light forum. Here's some more pics hope they help. There's another short strap to keep the cable fixed to the rear "spoiler" also. Another 12" Velcro strap holds the battery in place.

Gemini Duo clones-b1.jpgGemini Duo clones-b2.jpgGemini Duo clones-b3.jpgGemini Duo clones-b4.jpgGemini Duo clones-b5.jpg

Very nice helmet set-up. Well done.

If you could provide a better close-up of the Go-Pro mount / lamp that would be nice.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gemini Duo clones-b6.jpg  

Last edited by socal_jack; 03-17-2014 at 08:23 AM.

I like turtles
    Hey socal, can you post up a few close-up pics? One of the light from the front and of the connectors?

I like turtles
    Finally, spent $45 and ordered this! There was a 10% coupon on retailmenot so $45 delivered for a light/battery sounded good to me. I think this will work with my existing geomangear batteries and now I have an extra light. Can't wait to get it and try it out.

mtbr member
    Hey socal, can you post up a few close-up pics? One of the light from the front and of the connectors?
    Something like this?

Gemini Duo clones-wp_20140317_006.jpgGemini Duo clones-wp_20140317_005.jpg

I like turtles
    Great, thanks! What is the "dippled" lens? I can't wait to get mine.

mtbr member
    Meant "dimpled" but that's not even correct, some were even calling it a "nipple". There appears to be several different lenses as well as connectors that were showing up on these lightheads. Some of them had a flat face and others a "bump" approximately as below crudely converting finger feel to Paint drawing, my lenses are the type on the right in the drawing below.

Name:  lens.png
Views: 1154
Size:  1.7 KB

Great, thanks! What is the "dippled" lens? I can't wait to get mine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Well, after reading all 19 pages of this thread I came to one conclusion... That I "MUST" buy this microscopic "Yinding"... But..... one thing stuck in mind that I could not let go of.... I saw this picture a user posted in this thread about the Yinding vs 3x XML. I just couldn't forget that comparison

CLICK HERE FOR FULL SIZED 1450x2900 RESOLUTION

Gemini Duo clones-comparison.jpg

Yes, that to me seems like the 3x XML slaughtered the Yinding. Actually, that doesn't even look like a comparison, it looks like child's play!

Anyways, after weeks of debate, I stumbled on this seller on AliExpress selling a "7x XML-T6 Bike light with 6x18650 battery pack with Free shipping by DHL for $30.21". Seems the seller is having a 3 day sale, but is by far the best deal I have seen for any 7x bike light, and shipped by DHL. I have no worries about him being a new seller as AliExpress has Buyer Protection, just in case!

This light is so cheap at $30 that I plan to buy this
    "8x18650 Panasonic NCR18650B 7.4V 13600mAh Protected Li-ion battery for Bike Light 2S4PXM" from Hunk_Lee for $86.00 as well. Gotta get the best for this 7x XML monster!

Gemini Duo clones-image.jpg

I really wanted to get the Yinding, but I am a "Light Guy" that loves to light up the night, so I had to get this 7x light. I'm guessing it has to at least be about 3000-5000 real lumens, which I'm guessing will be all flood! Now that's a bike light

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    3XML is a good mix of flood and throw, so for a MTBing it has a better pattern than yinding. 7-up's are about 16W and there exists one 36W version sold as Trustfire 9000lm bikelight on ebay. IF you buy 36W 7XML or you do a resistor mod on the cheaper one you need to be sure the pack PCB and connector can handle currents to about 6-7A. The 36W 7up has maybe some 3000lm but not 5000lm in any way. These 7-up's are huge flooders having very wide beam pattern. 36W version review is here: Powerful 7*Cree XM-L T6 6000LM 3-Mode Front Bicycle Light from LM

I like turtles
    The 3x looks about the same brightness, just a bit more up towards the bike.

mtbr member
    In those pics, I would expect the Yingding to have better color rendition than the 3 x XM-L but in those pics the 3 XM-L looks very similar in tint (perhaps that Yinding is not a neutral white one).

I really like the output I'm seeing from the 3 XM-L, but really dislike the 1 LED, 2 LED, 3LED modes. It's very difficult to make out any discernible difference from medium to high also. I do really want to see beamshots from Cat's KD Tri-clone with programmable modes (hint, hint!).

-Garry

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbDemiGod View Post
    ...I really wanted to get the Yinding, but I am a "Light Guy" that loves to light up the night, so I had to get this 7x light. I'm guessing it has to at least be about 3000-5000 real lumens, which I'm guessing will be all flood! Now that's a bike light
    Just to let you know; these types of lamps have been out there for some time. If they were providing 3000-5000 lumen they would be selling like hot cakes. Note, they are not selling like hot cakes. If they were the reviews would be all over the place.

The lamp you linked to is big and heavy. Without a good mount it will be sliding around all over your bars. The UI only has two steady modes, low and high. Since you don't know the output of the driver you have no idea how bright the lamp will really be or how usable the low mode will be. My gut tells me that if you get almost 2000 lumen ( on high ) you will be very lucky. If you get an actual 1300 lumen on high you will be getting your monies worth. Word; nobody sells a 5000 lumen lamp for $30. If they did they would sell out in a matter of days. It's not the number of LED's that supply the output, it's the number of LED's and the power ( current ) limit of the driver controlling the current to the LED's.

Quote Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post
    I do really want to see beamshots from Cat's KD Tri-clone with programmable modes (hint, hint!).

-Garry
    Garry, I'd love to put a beam photo out but trails are really muddy where I live right now and we just had 8" of snow over the weekend. To really get a sense of what the KD tri-stepless has to bring I might have to use a ball field. If it drys out a bit by this weekend I'll see what I can do ( no promises though as I am really jonesing for a ride ).

mtbr member
    No problem Cat; I really am trying to be patient!

Another thing about the "monster output lights" - runtime. If you were putting out 3,000 to 5,000 lumens that means your pushing some serious current which in turn means your draining your battery pack awful fast!

-Garry

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I'd say, it's a matter of correct selection of light setup according to particular needs. You decide, how much power you need and what battery to use, depending on actual riding requirements...

Light freak
    As far as a "monster light" goes, this one looks for real - Vision X Lighting unveils 6.7-in. Light Cannon LED spotlight that outputs 2520 ft light beam - LEDs

May have to get creative for power source, input is 11-65V's

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    socal_jack slimline battery looks smart what the running time?

Sadly I'm still waiting for my YINDING as it gone missing from DX to UK
    DX just said light has been delivered and I should wait another week,
    One or other not both!

Hope DX will come good and send another one.

From like that Vision X light looks a monster.
    Last edited by Smoke&Lasers; 03-23-2014 at 05:15 AM. Reason: missing word SMART :o

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke&Lasers View Post
    socal_jack slimline battery looks what the running time?

One or other not both!

Lol, your getting the classic DX VIP Treatment, lot's of crazy thing DX has been doing lately, especially lying to customer's repeatedly about shipping, out of stock, delivery, etc... I hate to say it, but should have order the Yinding from Lightmall!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Good job!

Not to hijack thread but....

MtbDemiGod I have ordered before from DX 2010\12 and I had a nose round here alot of riders were buying from DX.

Next order from Lightmall, if my light don't turn up I know who to blame

mtbr member
    I still need to give it a go, I've only ridden it around the hood so far.

socal_jack slimline battery looks what the running time?

One or other not both!

mtbr member
    Just spotted a Gemini Duo clone on Amazon (sellers appears to be in China) with the 10 step "stepless adjusted" driver and XM-L2's. Little pricey at $63.17.

-Garry

I like turtles
    That manikin freaks me out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    FWIW, I know most of the text will not be useful for you, since it is in German, but there are also some picture in for putting the Yinding on a helmet

Yinding YD-2XU2 auf dem Helm | MTB-News.de

mtbr member
    Bought a few of the 60 degree and 10 degree lenses from LED DNA recommended earlier in the thread. Both a have a much narrower opening for the LED than the stock one. The 10 degree sat up too high but the 60 degree fit good will use one of those on the bar light. The front screw threads were good on both and both lights had both sets of seals, ad XMLs appear to be L2, lucked out there I guess. Ordered some new lenses from Fasttech, a different 15 deg and a 30 deg, both look better for an XML, I'll disassemble further when they come in. First couple of short rides with stock lenses were a blast.

Edit: Looks like the board isn't all the way in on the other light., disassembled and the power wires were bunched under the LED board, barely making contact with the body on one side. Pulled wires thru and added some good TIM. Like everyone says disassemble before use. Stripped other one down, OK except rear circuit board roughly trimmed had to file it a bit at corners t get in and out smoothly. Also added some good TIM to that one before buttoning up.
    Last edited by socal_jack; 04-01-2014 at 11:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Just noticed Lightmalls has the "stepless" driver Duo clone (doesn't say Yinding): Head only at $34.20. Not a bad price.

Sounds like you have to press & hold 8 seconds everytime you want to access the "stepless" modes (which doesn't sound good).

-Garry

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    This thread is depressing, just read through all 20 pages only to find out the good versions are around any more.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Actually, I have a spare original first batch Yinding that I can sell. If you are from Europe, you can get it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hi Bhocewar,

Thanks for the kind offer, but I'm actually in that funny country down under called Australia so postage would be a killer.
    I don't really NEED one, it just looked like a good one (ultra small, ultra bright) to add to the 'gadget' collection.

Cheers,
    Glen

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post
    Just noticed Lightmalls has the "stepless" driver Duo clone (doesn't say Yinding): Head only at $34.20. Not a bad price.

Sounds like you have to press & hold 8 seconds everytime you want to access the "stepless" modes (which doesn't sound good).

-Garry
    Garry, first..thanks for the link. The "stepless" mode is designed to be a sub-menu. You program each of the steady modes the way you want and then you're done. At that point you simply change modes like any other lamp by pressing the mode button ( once ) to advance to the next mode. The changes are stored and saved but you can change them any time you want by accessing the stepless sub-menu by doing the press and hold thing ( for each mode ).

Really not sure the stepless menu is that big a thing for the Duo clones but for lamps with more output it is a really nice feature to have. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Ah, thanks Cat. Makes more sense now that I think about it. The Chinese do a terrible job at describing things like this in their product specs. They could probably sell more if they described it better!

-Garry

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Re: Gemini Duo clones

I'm still waiting coming to seven weeks from DX to UK

Wish I could afford the real deal.

I like turtles
    Mine was ordered from Wallbuys on 3/18 and it is showing that it left the USPS facility in CA on yesterday..hopefully it will be here by week's end which would put the total wait at ~3.5 weeks...not bad! Lets see how it pans out. Looking forward to trying out my first el-cheap-o Chinese light!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

^ Is it here yet

I like turtles
    Nope.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I like turtles
    Ok..I was out of town and it did come..need to swing by USPS today and get it. So it showed up on 4/10 and I ordered it on 3/18..I think that is pretty good from China!

I like turtles
    Got it today. Holy crap It's so freaking SMALL! Will test out tonight.

I like turtles
    One other comment..it does have the proper MS type connectors.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Come on photos & update.
    Think I got to reorder my one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Are lenses flat or dimpled?, what kind of handlebar mount did you get? What sound makes the button? Hard click or barely noticable? Are the leds XML or XML2 (green or silver edge)?
    What is the color of light? It should be very neutral.

I like turtles
    Come on photos & update.
    Think I got to reorder my one.
    Settle down Beavis....I have had it for a few hours

I have charged up the battery but think I will just use it with my tried/true GeoMan battery; I hooked it up and it worked fine. The connectors are proper MS-type that "pop" when you connect them which I assume means they should be somewhat water-proof. The light is VERY BRIGHT. You can feel the heat coming off of it so as with any of these LEDs..you probably need to be moving to use the high setting. When you first turn it on, it goes on low, then medium, then high, then off. Interesting thing is when you click the button, it actually goes to the next brightest setting slowly, not just instantly..cool

I seriously can't believe how small it is...I am going to grab a quick night ride tonight and try it out and will post up pictures etc.

I like turtles
    Are lenses flat or dimpled?, what kind of handlebar mount did you get? What sound makes the button? Hard click or barely noticable? Are the leds XML or XML2 (green or silver edge)?
    What is the color of light? It should be very neutral.
    Dimpled lenses. Standard MS-type rubber band mount. The button makes a barely noticeable click. Not sure on the LEDs, but the one I ordered should have been the XM-L2 3B. Haven't ridden yet so tonight I will and will post up a better review with pics.

Edit. Maybe the click is more clicky than I first thought. Double edit. It's as clicky as my MS 808s.

Here is the one I ordered:
    $48.48 Yinding 2 x CREE XM-L2 T6-3B 1600LM 4-Mode Dual Head White LED Bicycle Lamp + 8.4v Battery Pack + Charger-Black

Its actually $50 and you can find a coupon code for 10% off..retailmenot.
    Last edited by TiGeo; 04-14-2014 at 05:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Beavis
    Would two be over kill?
    Think I'll buy from your website.

I like turtles
    Ok, just took a quick nightride spin to test this bad-boy out. Its great. V. bright and much better than the 808 P7 I have with the wide-angle lens. I will probably need to upgrade my helmet light now (808 P7) with the newest version of the 808. The color is different; the 808 is v. white compared to the Yinding..its almost..dare I say..light peach? If you have problems night riding with the Yinding you have other issues to sort out with your riding

I took a photo of the Yinding on the street and then my 808 P7 helmet light. The trail shot is the Yinding.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gemini Duo clones-20140412_203743.jpg  

Gemini Duo clones-20140412_203802.jpg  

Gemini Duo clones-20140412_204745.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Thanks to all for the posts. It has been very informative. Is it possible for someone to take the pcb board measurements? Or the inside of the casing measurement for the length please (the height has already been measured on pg4 I think)?

I like turtles

Run time test set up. Results in a few hours.

I like turtles
    Run test complete. Did this on high with OEM battery. Went 1.5 hours on green before going to red. At 2 hours went to red flashing and light was noticable dimmer. I call this a win. I think I will Plasti-Dip the battery.

Edit. This battery isn't worthy of the $$ for a can of Plasti-Dip; went the e-tape route..should be fine. The little nylon case will work perfectly; I just trimmed off the strap/buckle b/c I use an Awesome Strap to hold it to the frame.

Double edit. Took the tape off..who cares...I don't ride in the rain..I mean...I know that tape weights a few grams right?

Last edited by TiGeo; 06-09-2014 at 03:46 PM.

I like turtles
    I opened it up; the board says XML U2 but the LEDs have a silver back...what does that mean? Seems like the fit of the board to the shell is *ok*...some gap in spots.

Edit. Appears that I do indeed have the XM-L2 emitters due to the silver backing (not green). I went back and looked through this thread (phew....its getting long!) - I believe the board with the LEDs is thermal pasted to the metal backing/case so should have good heat transfer...sure got hot during testing!

Last edited by TiGeo; 04-14-2014 at 09:19 AM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast