Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Gemini Duo clones

167K views 736 replies 109 participants last post by  garrybunk 
#1 ·
Anyone have one of the Gemini Duo clones from Ali Express or Fasttech?

What's the practical difference (if any) between the XM-L U2 and XML2 T6 LED's?

#143 ·
I have a Gemini Duo that I purchased from Jim at ActionLED. My question is do these clones have the ability to program the modes? My gemini will allow you to adjust the Hi Med Low settings in 10% power increments. So for example you can have a Hi of 90% Med of 40% and Low of 20% if you want or have a Hi of 100% med of 80% and Low of 60%. Pretty cool feature! Seems like a great deal on a bike light regardless.

#160 ·
Thanks for the pictures Johan. Nice work

I wonder why the triple on medium (2 led's lit) looks as bright as the Duo clone on high. Is the triple drawing more current, or are the optics of the duo sucking up all the light energy? Perhaps the Duo outhrows the triple? The triple looks to be much floodier than the duo also, which is a positive in my book.

Based on these pictures, I would buy the triple before the duo. What do you all think?

#161 ·
I just got back from a ride where I ran into a guy with a real Duo.
My 3x is brighter and floodier on medium....and even more brighter on high.

I don't know why people say there isn't much difference between high and medium. If you shine it on a wall at close range, there isn't. But outside...it is very noticable.

I might look at a Duo clone or a SSx2 for a helmet light.....but I like the 3x for the handlebar in the woods.

#163 ·
Yep, that's for sure. Keep in mind most of the tri-clones are just standard XM-L T-6. Shouldn't be too long before you start seeing them in U2 or with XM-L2's. Right now I'd like to see a SSX2 with XM-L2 (U2). Ha!, for that matter anything with XM-L2 U2 is going to rock.

When I first got my tri-clone I compared it to my Gloworm X2 (v2) with XM-L U2's. Both lamps compared very well as far as output ( on high ) goes with the Tri-clone having perhaps a bit more throw because of the tri-reflector set-up.

If I were going to go with a super cheap Chinese combo set-up for MTB'ing I would either go with a combo Tri-clone on the bars / single XM-L (U2) emitter clone lamp on the helmet OR Duo clone on the bars and SSX2 on the helmet. The first combo would have a bit more throw with the second a bit more flood.

Yep, if you can afford $80 for a Chinese combo set-up you can rock the night. Spend another $30 or $50 for a better battery and you're set.

#165 ·
Like fightnut said, one of the main things that the Duo clone has going for it is the really small size. The triple has to be pretty cheap by now, on the other hand. I remember seeing the light-head-only option for around $35 a couple of months ago.

By the way, the original seller of the xm-l2 version no longer has them, but I found this alternative:
Free shipping 1Set CREE XML2 T6 3B Bike Light 1600lm Waterproof Bicycle Light LED HeadLamp + 8.4v Battery Pack + Charger-in Bicycle Light from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com

On sale for $69.81.

#170 ·
I just purchased one of the Gemini clones from Fast Tech and like other posters that have asked if I want to make the light a little more spotty what lense would you need to exchange it with? I know it 20mm in diameter but what angle do I need to get? Do I need a 5* angle, a 10* or a 15*???? Please help. Thanks.

#173 ·
In regards to Cat-man-do looking for a SSX2 with XM-L2 (U2). Is this what you are looking for:
Black Color SolarStorm X2 2*Cree XM-L2 2200-Lumen Led Bike Light Without Battery Pack - Bicycle Lights Lamp Cap - Bicycle Light & Headlamp Worldwide Free Shipping!!!

I have been reading through pages and pages of posts trying to educate my self on the current options and like most people trying to get the most bang for my buck and spend as little as possible at the same time. My wife is not convinced that I even need lights. So I am looking at maybe ordering the above. With a better battery.

Would it be a bad idea to even just order 2 of these?

#180 ·
In regards to Cat-man-do looking for a SSX2 with XM-L2 (U2). Is this what you are looking for:
Black Color SolarStorm X2 2*Cree XM-L2 2200-Lumen Led Bike Light Without Battery Pack - Bicycle Lights Lamp Cap - Bicycle Light & Headlamp Worldwide Free Shipping!!!

I have been reading through pages and pages of posts trying to educate my self on the current options and like most people trying to get the most bang for my buck and spend as little as possible at the same time. My wife is not convinced that I even need lights. So I am looking at maybe ordering the above. With a better battery.

Would it be a bad idea to even just order 2 of these?
Thanks b$. The link you posted is likely for XM-L2's using the standard T-6 bin. These will be very bright but I'm going to hold out for the U2 version. I just like the whiter tint. Currently I have the SSX2 with standard XM-L (U2) ....which is the first XM-L U2 version. When these are released with the second U2 version they will be even more awesome.

b$, if you buy two of these XM-L2 (T-6) I don't think you will be disappointed...however....one of these 880 clones might be better for the bars because of the wider beam pattern. Find one with XM-L2's and that would be even better.

Wifey should have no problem with you buying a couple "emergency home illumination light-sets"...yes, yes...in a power outage these babies will light your house for about 6 hours when on low. With two going you have all the light you need ( including one for the bedroom if you catch my drift...:ihih: )

#182 ·
Vista Lites..I had the 2x10w and 1 wt circa '95. I remember the older ones like you are talking about. The new cheap LEDs are amazing compared to those old lights.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

#191 ·
Finnaly, I`ve got it!
It is indeed very small and light...compared to MJ808 P7 and MJ872

It is right between MJ808 P7 and MJ872. That goes for beam pattern and amount of light-
I would say around 1000-1100lm
I am very impressed with the build quality but disappointed with charger. It cuts off at 8,2V. That is waaay to early.
I will post trail beamshots in a week (including MJ808, MJ808e, MJ880, MJ872, MJ880 clone, 3xXML clone, SS2X, Lupine Tesla)

#193 ·
Wow...I had no idea how small these actually are! Yes..looking forward to beam shots. I really want either a genuine Duo or one of these clones..look so cool.

#201 ·
Varider, these lights are ignored because of the quality control - you never know what you get - a nice lottery. But for most people they are as good as any other more expensive alternatives. The next problem by these clones is often a stupid UI and an absent battery indication. You need to consider + and - for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.