Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ofroad'bent View Post
    I removed the bar mount and undid the little allen screws, but still couldn't get the back cap off. Not sure if it's a very tight fit or glued shut, but it'll be hard to open without gouging something.

A heads-up- when you remove the bar mount you can see that this unit is *not* waterproof at all. The cable exits a hole in the mount with no cable gland or seal. I will be replacing it with a metal GoPro adapter, and placing silicone gasket-maker sealant in the gap.
    Note- if you're not logged in, you'll see links to "bar mount" and "GoPro adapter" which are fake and automatically added somehow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    CRAP

original 'good' yinding with the 4-banger 8volt pack.

the nylon strap busted clean off today with not much effort. figured as much.
    oh well...I got tons of straps from other finds...I never expect a chinese nylon pouch for any product last more than a few uses without fraying or ripping

mtbr member
    ^^^try these...
    Www.backcountryresearch.com

Tube Tourniquet. Bulletproof way to hold a battery pouch on the top tube. I cut off the strap on the nylon pouch and use these.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    thanks^^^

done. got a 3 pack with fancy patterns. paypal. now where is me straps? !

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Sorry to revive this thread, but very interested in this light. The Wallbuys is out of stock, so looking at the Lightmalls one. It looks like the Wallbuys one has 60 degree lenses stock and not sure about the Lightmalls one.

I am looking for a great set up for helmet and bar. Would it make sense to buy 2 of these lights and get 2 10 degree lenses for the helmet and 2 60 degree lenses for the bars to make a perfect set up and be cost effective? Also looking at a SSX2 for the helmet if that would give better throw and spot. Obviously want as much flood as possible on the bars. So many choices, but I love the size and look of this light.

If that works, I would probably use stock batteries for now and then upgrade down the road. Or, I guess I could buy the light only for $14 less and buy a better battery set up for starters for close to the same price? Thanks for any input.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I wouldn't worry about the lenses.

Buy two of the Lightmalls units with 6-cell batteries - you'll have spare/redundancy. I run one each on handlebar and helmet for off road riding. Just one on the handlebar for road.

Start with the included batteries, upgrade later if you find you need to. My .02.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I had a look about for another one seems they gone up alot.

They still on DX but did take time to get to me three months. Could be just unlucky.

Some on Ali Express I think the site is but I never used them before.

I don't see the Yinding on lightmail! Not found by search.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    LM has a yinding clone I think, as well as KD (KD has actually 3 color versions)

mtbr member
    The 60 degree is in a typo; they look to be the same as the Duo...16 degrees.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    So would the stock be better for the helmet and then put 2 60 degree lenses in the other one for the bar for better flood?

mtbr member
    The stock light works fine as a bar light. I tried the 45 degree lenses from LEDDNA and didn't notice much difference to be honest.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks TiGeo. I saw on a thread I believe you have the SSX2 on your helmet. Would that be a better combination? I love the size of these lights, but also want to have the best (inexpensive) combo I can find. Maybe there should be a Best Clone set up under $100 thread! Would be fun to see the different combinations people are using on their bar and helmet.

mtbr member
    Yes, I have a SSX2 for the helmet in my budg-o setup. It is a nice spot for the helmet and works well with the Yinding on the bar. The issue I had with this setup is that the color of the LEDs is different; the SSX2 is bluer/whiter than the Yinding which is more "warm". I think the Yindings out now are not the same LED and will look more like the SSX2.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    The 60 degree is in a typo; they look to be the same as the Duo...16 degrees.
    Just wondering; Since you own both the Gemini Duo and the Yinding, is there a noticeable difference between the two ? ( other than price of course )

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Yes, I have a SSX2 for the helmet in my budg-o setup. It is a nice spot for the helmet and works well with the Yinding on the bar. The issue I had with this setup is that the color of the LEDs is different; the SSX2 is bluer/whiter than the Yinding which is more "warm". I think the Yindings out now are not the same LED and will look more like the SSX2.
    Sounds good. I like the form factor of the Yinding better, was hoping with spot lenses on the helmet and floods on the bars, it would be a great set up. So if I get the SSX2 on helmet and Yinding on the bars, as long as both have the XM-L2's, everything should match ok? Sounds like the SSX2 will be a better spot on the helmet. If it is negligible, I would go with 2 Yindings.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Just wondering; Since you own both the Gemini Duo and the Yinding, is there a noticeable difference between the two ? ( other than price of course )
    Not really that I can tell Cat except for the color. Keep in mind I have the "good" version of the Yinding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Re: Gemini Duo clones

Not really that I can tell Cat except for the color. Keep in mind I have the "good" version of the Yinding.
    Does the Gemini have custom power setting guess only come into play realy when racing?

I did had a look again at Gloworm again but sadly it's cost to much.

I have to look again Gemini vs Gloworm vs Yinding.

mtbr member
    Yes..custom power settings...not sure why that is only for racing...

mtbr member
    WHOA! This just in - KD is now carrying a head only Duo clone! (I don't think this has been mentioned and I do believe KD just added it within 24 hours.) I'm jumping on it as I've been sitting on placing a KD order for some parts anyway.

-Garry

mtbr member
    But this isn't the "good" version..just so you know. May not have a good seal on the cable, maybe no o-ring, and likely a crappier mount.

mtbr member
    Right, I see that. I'm willing to work with it. I consider all these cheap lights "mod hosts". I am loosing track of which ones were good or bad. I was waffling on the Lightmalls clone (due to the programmable driver) but remember someone posted it wasn't good for some reason.

I don't think there even is a "good" version available any more, is there?

EDIT - I see that mk96 mentioned KD having a duo clone in post 683, though I don't remember anyone posting a link.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    dawgman25 - I wouldn't use two 60 degree lenses as they spread the light too much. I ran a 60 and 45 and it didn't have enough throw. I replaced the 60 with a 10 and now it has a nice mix of flood up close and throw down the trail. I run a 'good' Yinding on my helmet with the 15-20 (nobody knows for sure) lens and it makes a good pairing with the bar light. I also replaced the LED's to match the warmer tint of the good version as it is quite annoying having different colored lights.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks, that helps a lot. So if I get a SSX2 for the helmet, I want to get the newer version XM-L2 and get a Yinding clone with the same so the colors are correct? Can't decide if I want 2 Yinding clones with different lenses or an SSX2 on the helmet for more throw. It seems the XM-L2 is the best LED to get right now?

My long term goal is to get a great Gloworm set up, but I want to get a good cheap set up for now to make sure I use them enough to justify the bigger expense. Then I can use the cheap version for friends, backup, etc.

mtbr member

Re: Gemini Duo clones

Quote Originally Posted by robs31 View Post
    dawgman25 - I wouldn't use two 60 degree lenses as they spread the light too much. I ran a 60 and 45 and it didn't have enough throw. I replaced the 60 with a 10 and now it has a nice mix of flood up close and throw down the trail. I run a 'good' Yinding on my helmet with the 15-20 (nobody knows for sure) lens and it makes a good pairing with the bar light. I also replaced the LED's to match the warmer tint of the good version as it is quite annoying having different colored lights.
    Definately agree on the colors..annoying.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robs31 View Post
    Especially don't use the frosted 45s or 60s, they knock the light down to nothing. Currently using two clear 45s on the bar Yinding and two 10/15s on the helmet Yinding, nice combo. Bought both at the same time and got 2 good ones in the warmer tint.

Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast