Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009

AW: Gemini Duo clones

Quote Originally Posted by mociulski View Post
    Hey,

I've also got a Pannovo battery holder with four 3400mAh Panasonic cells, and after running it on medium brightness for about 5 hours the battery voltage is at 3.7V, so plenty of juice left.
    3.7V on each cell? Or on the whole pack, what would be bad, not?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by eTrex_FSR View Post
    3.7V on each cell? Or on the whole pack, what would be bad, not?
    Yes, on each cell. On the whole pack it would be really bad.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mociulski View Post
    Hey,

I have the same headlamp and ran into the same issue the first time I tried to open it. It's not glued, just a tight fit between two aluminum pieces. You need to use a thin prying tool or the blade of a cutter to slide it open.

I'm actually very happy with it. I replaced the lens with 15/45 degree ones for better flood, added thermal grease and I'll probably get a Gopro mount adapter for it.

I've also got a Pannovo battery holder with four 3400mAh Panasonic cells, and after running it on medium brightness for about 5 hours the battery voltage is at 3.7V, so plenty of juice left.
    How is the led board mounted? Does everything come out the back?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    U2 is the updated version of T6. It is more bright than T6

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by robs31 View Post
    How is the led board mounted? Does everything come out the back?
    The led board is attached by two screws on two triangular shaped lips on the inside of the case. Yes, they all come out from the back.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bicyclerider View Post
    U2 is the updated version of T6. It is more bright than T6
    U2 is brighter than a T6 but the U2 can be from the same generation as the T5, T6 etc. In the simplest terms, each batch of LEDs varies a little in their output. Manufacturers test and sort them by the output. The designations T6 and U2 just refer to the output range. Since higher output is deemed a good thing, the manufacturers price the higher output LEDs a bit higher.

Updated versions from Cree have lately been designated with the addition of 2 in the family name. XM-L became XM-L2 for example.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ofroad'bent View Post
    OK, will pry it open just for fun, and make sure there's enough thermal grease.
    BTW Vancbiker can make the mount with the fins now for better heat removal.
    Got the light pried open. No thermal grease at all in there, and the LEDs on the board only contact the housing on the 2 triangular points, so heat transfer isn't great. I put grease between the LED board and the mounting, and carefully applied more all around.
    There are o-rings between the optics and the front of the housing.
    I also slipped a thin o-ring around the back section before reassembling to seal the housing. Thermal grease would have worked there too. With the silicone sealing the wire exit the thing is finally somewhat waterproof.

(I build my lights a lot more waterproof than this, but it's not bad now)

If I could change 1 of the 2 LEDs for a warm tint, it would be quite a good light.

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    ^^That's one of my main gripes. I've come to terms that I got one of 'bait and switch' lights from walbuys, and even with the lesser quality, I would consider it still a good value if only the light had a warmer tint (similar to my L&M Taz), I would still be quite happy with it. Oh well.
    "Single track is for pansies!
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Sorry for not reading thru the thread but can someone tell me if the Yinding comes in the newer version XML2 LED yet. I think I read somewhere that it does but didn't find it online.

Sorry, me being lazy.

Also, how do you guys helmet mount it.

Maybe I better read thru this thread.

MB

mtbr member
    ^^^read. But with that said...

Yes...mine I got from Wallbuys has the XML2. Mounting-wise..just a standard Magicshine helmet mount will work.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    The lightmalls one is XML-2.

They also sell a helmet mount that work with it:
    Helmet Mount For XML,SC P7 Bicycle lights Worldwide Free Shipping!!!

I used a metal GoPro adapter from Vancbiker and can use a GoPro helmet or headband mount, but he makes a less expensive plastic one too.

mtbr member
    The one that comes with the light is fine; just need to cut off the silly rock-climber strap and get a velcro strap..bam! I posted a pic of this at one point.

mtbr member
    This is probably one of the best batteries you will find, with real Panasonic cells and actual capacity as advertised.

A Panasonic NCR18650 7 4V 6200mAh LI ION Battery 4 3100mAh Cells TO 2S2P W PCM | eBay

You'll need to waterproof it. Self fusing silicone tape from Home Depot works well.

mtbr member
    ^^^The issue is that you have to make sure you get the proper Magicshine-style snap-in connector.

mtbr member
    I just make my own adapters with some heat shrink tubing. It works well to make plugs water-resistant, well known on the DIY forum.

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    The one that comes with the light is fine; just need to cut off the silly rock-climber strap and get a velcro strap..bam! I posted a pic of this at one point.
    I agree with TiGeo,

The one it comes with is fine. Cut the velcro straps off, add 3 zip ties and you're done. And the further you mount it up front, the less it sticks up above your head to catch on tree and such.

Go Pro mount does look nice though.
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

mtbr member
    Good solution. I like the light to sit lower down and more forward, so it doesn't catch on stuff.
    The GoPro mount also sinks a fair bit of heat.

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    Good solution. I like the light to sit lower down and more forward, so it doesn't catch on stuff.
    The GoPro mount also sinks a fair bit of heat.
    The heat sinking is definitely nice. I would love a little more heatsinking since this light generates some serious heat with so little surface area. But if you look at the over all height of the gopro mount, it really isn't that much lower profile than the standard.

Allow me to barrow Smoke&Laser image here:

I would guess that it's only a couple millimeters lower in the upright position and maybe a little more in the forward position. If I were to mount the standard one all the way forward on to the visor as he did, it too would sit lower than the top of the helmet. I just wanted it a little more secure than double stick tape.

Also, I advise if you're going to helmet mount it, get the 10 degree lenses from LEDDNA. Much better throw! Although be careful, the head of the two front screws strip very easily.

mtbr member
    Mine sits lower than that- Smoke used the tall mount for the one that faces backwards and his mount sticks out to the back more.

I'll play with the 10 degree lenses- I have some in stock, but it looks pretty narrow with the optics provided.

It might be possible to stick some heat sink on the top of the light if need be.
    20pcs Black Heat Sink FOR Stepstick A4988 Chip IC Thermal Adhesive 8 8 8 8 5mm | eBay

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Using commercial mounts will only get one so far in how low a light can go. The GoPro mount is pretty big and tall, particularly the reverse one in Smoke's last picture. I don't use a GoPro mount on my helmet light for that reason.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gemini Duo clones-dscn1079.jpg  

mtbr member
    Vanc's is the lowest ever. Most of my DIY lights have a custom mount that sits very low,

but I'm spec-ing Gopro mounts for my friends now as they're easy to find and work well on helmet, bars and headbands.

I'll see if I can get a shot of the Gemini clone mounted up.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    ...I'm spec-ing Gopro mounts for my friends now as they're easy to find and work well on helmet, bars and headbands.
    They are starting to become a de-facto standard it seems.

mtbr member
    GoPro mount- light is same level as helmet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I placed the light to forward as this is the only place that is flat on my lid.
    Could have the light low down but the light glare shines right into my eyes.

One solution would to be turn the Go pro clip round slid in from top to bottom.

A week on and still not sorted out new lens make more of a spot.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Some people don't need to worry about whether the light sits high or not.

In my area, many trails have trees with low branches. When the rainy season sets in those branches often droop lower and become light catchers. I caught my old NR halogen light on a branch many years ago and have worked for low mounting ever since.

Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast