Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bhocewar View Post
    For the "clone" that you have recently got. Not for "original"

Mine has 1,5h runtime on high till it starts slowly to cool down. Green light illuminates for 5 min, then goes to red fo the whole runtime.
    Ok, I didn't do a run-time test on the clone - sold it to a buddy the day I got it. I have actually talked to Wallbuys about this and am waiting to see what they will do (if anything). I want another original!
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I will write them too !!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by zuuds View Post
    Has anyone replaced/upgraded their LEDs in their Yinding? I started a thread about this in the DIY forum, but didn't get any responses.
    I got some L2 T6 3B LED's to replace the ones in my clone (same issue as the other guys expecting the original) but haven't gotten around to swapping them out. I also posted in DIY for info on reflowing but no responses. Looks pretty straight forward though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    ...more than a week since I wrote to Wallbuys regarding the yinding clone scam and still no answer. Very disappointed.

mtbr member
    Anyone know if someone sells a replacement double-o ring for the front of this light?
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Good job!

Can't believe how bright this light is on low
    Looking at threads here I gone with the go pro mount mod, look so much neater and fit my lid better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    How much was light and where is battery mounted?

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke&Lasers View Post
    Can't believe how bright this light is on low
    Looking at threads here I gone with the go pro mount mod, look so much neater and fit my lid better.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I got an extension cable from light to battery and I stuck battery in camelbak. Local rides I look at velcro battery to seat post.

Price I would have to look, I did get from DX but I wouldn't use them again as it took three months to get to UK! Items use to take 3 - 4 weeks.

mtbr member
    Vancbiker here on MTBR sells very nice GoPro adapters that are much smaller. You can get plastic or aluminum too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

First ride with the Gemini Duo

I just recently got the chance to take my Gemini Duo for a pure technical twisty single track ride at night. My experienced surprised me a bit because I found the best setting for the Duo was low, maybe medium when it got very technical and fast. I found that high was too much and gave too much glare and bounce back.

Keep in mind, that my Gemini Duo was bought last December when the original models weren't available. Mine has the flat front and cheap connectors. With that said, I have been nothing but impressed with the light and even the battery run times. I definitely plan to buy another for my helmet. Both on low would be all the light I could ever need on my local trail and both on high would be enough for high speed runs.

High on single track (pitch black trail)
    Gemini Duo clones-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    On Low

On Medium

On High

All pictures taken with a Galaxy S5 and appear dimmer than in real life.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ofroad'bent View Post
    Vancbiker here on MTBR sells very nice GoPro adapters that are much smaller. You can get plastic or aluminum too.
    Thanks for the plug!!!!

@Smoke&Lasers: Here is a link to a post showing how one duo clone user set up my adapter similar to how you have fitted the DX unit....

MagicShine GoPro Replacment Mount - Page 4

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Lightmalls sells a clone without the battery pack, it seems that the front screws are missing, which is a no-go for me.

Anyone brave enough to confirm this?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by inch View Post
    Lightmalls sells a clone without the battery pack, it seems that the front screws are missing, which is a no-go for me.

Anyone brave enough to confirm this?
    I was considering getting that one, esp. because of the 2 group programmable driver (should be same as Cat's KD Tri-Clone). I didn't take notice of the missing front screws.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post
    I was considering getting that one, esp. because of the 2 group programmable driver (should be same as Cat's KD Tri-Clone). I didn't take notice of the missing front screws.

-Garry
    We bought a bunch of these, 9 units in total.

No, they don't have the screws on the front. There are two small allen head set screws at the back of the lamp on the underside behind the mount. Presumably they're holding the back cap/plate on. I haven't tried opening either of my two lamps to check though.

The lights otherwise work great and the programmable aspect was one of the primary reasons I chose this particular unit. No complaints.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks! Any chance that you might open yours... for the sake of the world? (I would like to know if the front is removeable please!)

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    If those pics are real photos of the lamp (not computer rendering) then the front panel is not removable (no line between the body and front panel)...so the heat managment might be an issue.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    That's exactly my question.

mtbr member
    I just got one that arrived an hour ago. I see the 2 screws on the body, and I'll probably tear it apart at some point. I got one for a friend who did Tour Divide with it after I made her battery packs to use AAs she could get on the road.

I liked the 3 modes and the soft-steps between modes. The 10-step mode is interesting, but it takes 8 seconds to get to it and there seems to be no mode memory so you have to start over every time you turn it on.

I really wish they had the ability to go up one level with a click and down with a longer press, as do all the lights I build.

mtbr member
    I removed the bar mount and undid the little allen screws, but still couldn't get the back cap off. Not sure if it's a very tight fit or glued shut, but it'll be hard to open without gouging something.

A heads-up- when you remove the bar mount you can see that this unit is *not* waterproof at all. The cable exits a hole in the mount with no cable gland or seal. I will be replacing it with a metal GoPro adapter, and placing silicone gasket-maker sealant in the gap.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks, that's too bad. A high quality head and a selfbuilt battery stays a dream.
    Last edited by inch; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Meh, that's what you get for under $40.

I was hoping to play with the optics etc. and would use one of my home-waterproofed battery packs using 3400maH cells.

The connectors aren't waterproof either, but I'll cut it off and replace it or make a better seal with a heat-shrink cuff. Between that and silicone around the wire it should be decent.

mtbr member
    Here's the light once I removed the mount and replaced it with one of Vancbiker's nice GoPro mounts. I added some fins for better heat transfer, and used thermal grease underneath. Also sealed the cable exit with silicone.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Hey,

I have the same headlamp and ran into the same issue the first time I tried to open it. It's not glued, just a tight fit between two aluminum pieces. You need to use a thin prying tool or the blade of a cutter to slide it open.

I'm actually very happy with it. I replaced the lens with 15/45 degree ones for better flood, added thermal grease and I'll probably get a Gopro mount adapter for it.

I've also got a Pannovo battery holder with four 3400mAh Panasonic cells, and after running it on medium brightness for about 5 hours the battery voltage is at 3.7V, so plenty of juice left.

Quote Originally Posted by Ofroad'bent View Post
    I removed the bar mount and undid the little allen screws, but still couldn't get the back cap off. Not sure if it's a very tight fit or glued shut, but it'll be hard to open without gouging something.

A heads-up- when you remove the bar mount you can see that this unit is *not* waterproof at all. The cable exits a hole in the mount with no cable gland or seal. I will be replacing it with a metal GoPro adapter, and placing silicone gasket-maker sealant in the gap.

mtbr member
    OK, will pry it open just for fun, and make sure there's enough thermal grease.
    BTW Vancbiker can make the mount with the fins now for better heat removal.

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast