Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by whokilledJR View Post
    Depends on how the battery is being measured. Each individual battery would be charged to 4.2v when fully charged, so when fully charged you should get a reading of 16.8v. When wired 2s2p the driver restricts the voltage to 8.4v, this is output only. Zuuds can you clarify how you are measuring the voltage?
    I'm placing the negative probe on the metal edge of the cylinder part of the battery lead , and the positive probe on the post part in the middle. Is that the right way to do it?

I'm not even sure my charger works. (See post 11 above). All it ever shows is solid green when it's plugged in -- whether or not the battery is connected to it. I tried connecting the battery to it before plugging it in, but it still does the same thing.

If the charger LED is supposed to display red at less than full charge, and it is green when my battery is at 7.4 (out of 16.8) volts, I don't think it's working. I plugged the charger into the wall and put the voltmeter to it (black probe to the outside cylinder, red probe into the center hole) - shows 0 volts. Shouldn't it show 8.4v? (the sticker on the charger says the output is 8.4v, 1000 ma.)

I guess I can put the battery on the charger tonight and see if the battery shows higher voltage tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Yes, your multimeter connection is correct. Based on your description of problem, I'd say that charger is broken.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    If you stick the probe in the connector, you can make short circuit and damage the battery, charger etc.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by zuuds View Post
    I was scratching my head about this, and just for the heck of it connected my voltmeter to a AA battery - it read 2.2 volts. It then told me a 9V battery was 12 volts. After replacing the battery in my voltmeter, it's now giving accurate readings. The "duo" battery pack is at 7.39 volts, not 10.67!
    I missed this post. 7.39v sounds more reasonable, although not fully charged, it would be 8.4v fully charged. As Archie mentioned your charger is playing up if this reading is correct, which is not a good thing when dealing with Li-ion batteries.

Even if the light is green a lot of chargers still trickle charge at a very slow rate near the end of recharging, although 7.4v is too low for it to start doing this. Have you tried charging it over a period of time and re-checking the voltage to see if it's still charging? I'd err on the side of caution, i.e don't leave it charging unattended over night.

Based on some of your readings it could just be the voltmeter is still not giving accurate figures.

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bhocewar View Post
    If you stick the probe in the connector, you can make short circuit and damage the battery, charger etc.
    Charger - maybe, but its kinda hard to short circuit male plug. Much easier to do that with female plug on battery, but you won't damage anything in battery - all bike lights batteries have protection pcbs in them that will disconnect cells if you'll short circuit connector.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kir View Post
    Charger - maybe, but its kinda hard to short circuit male plug. Much easier to do that with female plug on battery, but you won't damage anything in battery - all bike lights batteries have protection pcbs in them that will disconnect cells if you'll short circuit connector.
    Good to know. I stuck the probes in in veeeerrrry carefully, a la Name:  operation.jpg
Views: 2185
Size:  50.0 KB

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by whokilledJR View Post
    I missed this post. 7.39v sounds more reasonable, although not fully charged, it would be 8.4v fully charged. As Archie mentioned your charger is playing up if this reading is correct, which is not a good thing when dealing with Li-ion batteries.

Even if the light is green a lot of chargers still trickle charge at a very slow rate near the end of recharging, although 7.4v is too low for it to start doing this. Have you tried charging it over a period of time and re-checking the voltage to see if it's still charging? I'd err on the side of caution, i.e don't leave it charging unattended over night.

Based on some of your readings it could just be the voltmeter is still not giving accurate figures.
    I threw caution to the wind and left it on the charger all night. This morning it read exactly .... 7.39v. The charger must be bunk. I ordered a Magicshine charger from Action LED Lights.

I think my voltmeter is giving accurate readings now that I installed a new battery. I tested it on AA and 9v batteries and it's giving correct readings.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Just got mine, shipped on the 15th of Sept.

First thing I did was removed the mount and installed a quick release one.

Rubber mounts are ok if they came with a tab but this one did not.

Gemini Duo clones-imag0041.jpg

Gemini Duo clones-imag0044.jpg

Very very small and lightweight.

I'd buy another head only for a headlamp if they sold head only.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I went for an hour ride with it, bright, but floody, almost no spot. It's a shame because the body is perfect for a helmet/headlamp mount.

Wonder if you can swap the optics to spot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbubbles View Post
    I went for an hour ride with it, bright, but floody, almost no spot. It's a shame because the body is perfect for a helmet/headlamp mount.

Any night pictures?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharddog03 View Post
    Any night pictures?
    Nope. My night time camera skillz are next to nothing. I'll try to figure out my dslr over the weekend and take some pics. Stay tuned.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Allmost positive you can do that. Just pop it out, measure the lens and choose the right one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Kir View Post
    you won't damage anything in battery - all bike lights batteries have protection pcbs in them that will disconnect cells if you'll short circuit connector.
    It should be so, but in reality not always safe. I myself burned PCB on early MagicShine battery by accidental shortage, so I'd recommend to avoid "testing" it that way...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    For what it's worth, you can buy tabbed O-rings separately.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by -Archie- View Post
    It should be so, but in reality not always safe. I myself burned PCB on early MagicShine battery by accidental shortage, so I'd recommend to avoid "testing" it that way...
    On the flip side, the $30 magic shine clone I had had no overvoltage protection, I plugged in a 8.4v fully charged battery and it fried the circuit board.

Quote Originally Posted by -Archie- View Post
    For what it's worth, you can buy tabbed O-rings separately.
    I did look for them, cheapest I found was $6 on ebay, pricey considering that you can buy solarstorm x2 light only with tabbed o rings for $20.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I did look for them, cheapest I found was $6 on ebay, pricey considering that you can buy solarstorm x2 light only with tabbed o rings for $20.
    Cheap Silicone O-Ring Seal Mounting Band for SKU 29489/30864 (2-Pack)

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Sv: Gemini Duo clones

Just got mine, shipped on the 15th of Sept.

First thing I did was removed the mount and installed a quick release one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0041.jpg 
Views:	404 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	836371

Name:	IMAG0044.jpg 
Views:	415 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	836372

Very very small and lightweight.

I'd buy another head only for a headlamp if they sold head only.
    Where did you buy the quick release mount?

Skickat från min GT-I9300 med Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    That's more reasonable. I still prefer quick release though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bollis View Post
    Where did you buy the quick release mount?

Skickat från min GT-I9300 med Tapatalk 4
    I got a bunch of them rummaging through my local bike co-op.

But you can buy them.

Quick-Cam Adjustable Bracket

Locally folks can buy them from here.

Planet Bike Quick Cam Handlebar Bracket - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

I wouldn't wholly recommend these mounts if I had to buy them, it's quite a bit of work, you have to drill a hole in the center, and the allen screw to mount the light takes some dexterity to put on because of the tight spaces.

But once you assembled everything, it's a great mount, very adjustable for different handlebar diameters, and much easier to take off than o rings.

These mounts are actually my preferred mounts for flashlights because they can fit many different flashlight diameters, even 26650 flashlights.

And for different handlebar sizes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I didn't think it was possible but the light beam burned my table sheet fabric.

Somebody need to explain this scientifically.

Gemini Duo clones-imag0045.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    What namely surprises you? Yes, beside of visible spectrum, powerful light emits huge amount of heat as well; you can feel it by putting your hand in front of working light...

mtbr member
    I didn't think it was possible but the light beam burned my table sheet fabric.

Somebody need to explain this scientifically.

Name:	IMAG0045.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	836400
    The fabric is likely sensitive to heat. LED's ( class II ) can produce a good bit of heat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Currently waiting (VERY) impatiently for mine to arrive, ordered on the 18th Sept and was shipped on the 20th Sept, I know it was only 2 weeks ago but still...

Anyway... Good to hear initial favourable reports on the light unit. I had the fortune to have a quick play with a Gemini Duo at the Bike Show at the NEC last weekend, and can confirm it was really rather good. So if this is anywhere near as good, for 1/5th of the price I will be ecstatic! :-)

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I ordered mine from FastTech on 9/12 and I'm STILL waiting for it! I e-mailed them and they said it was held up in "x-ray scan for many days".

Anyway, regarding MrBubbles comment that it's very floody. I wonder if a reflector could be put on one side (assuming the right size exists), for a mix of spot and flood?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    On the flip side, the $30 magic shine clone I had had no overvoltage protection, I plugged in a 8.4v fully charged battery and it fried the circuit board.
    Did the same, is there a repair for this?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
    Did the same, is there a repair for this?
    There is, replace the driver.

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast