Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
    I like turtles
    I have the 45s and they work well on the bar but I use the stockers as my Yinding is now my road bike light and I need the throw.
    Last edited by TiGeo; 09-18-2014 at 07:24 PM.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    That sounds like a great set up. Would probably be better to have 2 Yindings with matching lights instead of an SSX2 on the helmet that doesn't match. I am hoping the helmet with the spot lenses have enough throw.

I wish the good units would come back. Still looking at the head only units on Lightmall and then get 2 good hulk lee batteries to match.

May I ask where you got your lenses?

2xCree XM-L2 2500-Lumen With 2 group modes LED Bicycle Light Lamp(Lamp cap only) - 2LED Bike Light - LED Bicycle Lights - Bike Lights & Headlamps Worldwide Free Shipping!!!

I like turtles
    Leddna

mtbr member
    If you want to see a comparison of the LEDDNA optics, check out my post over at BLF.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Great test and info, thanks. So it looks like 2 45 degree lenses and 2 10 degree lenses would be the best combo?

I like turtles
    That would work fine..or just keep the originals in, try them out and see if they work fine as-is.

mtbr member
    Yeah, the stock lense are actually good at least for a helmet light on the trail or as a road light. The stock lense combo of one on the bars and helmet stock lense isn't that bad either as it's really a lot of light, just for some trails the 45 flood looks a bit better close in to me. YMMV

I like turtles
    ^^^Agree.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    As for the color, you never really know what you will get even if they claim a specific tint. This happened to me when I bought my second Yinding and it was advertised as the same tint as my original but was not so I had to replace them. To get the same color your best bet is to by two of the same one from the same seller at the same time, but that will not guarantee they will be the same. It's always a crap shoot from China.

Action LED Lights
    Don't condemn all of China just because these small fly by night operations don't know the meaning of quality control. Gemini, Magicshine, Xeccon and a hand full of others are making a name for themselves producing quality, consistent product. They're in it for the long haul, not quick profit.
    When your tired of wasting your time and money on this stuff spend a little more on something you can trust with a real warranty and spend the extra time riding your bike.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

I like turtles
    ^^^yep.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I've been riding my Yinding for about 8 rides now. I am thoroughly unimpressed with them. I bought them through FastTech and they arrived back in mid-August.

1.) Battery sucks. I get about 90 min. runtime on full, with a fan on the light head. I don't use the battery at all. I use my good Samsung 5200 pack from Gemini instead. A fully charge pack turns the button "RED" within 15 minutes on high.

2.) Total light output sucks. My Solarstorm X2 with XM-L (not U2) version (one of the "good X2's) easily out powers it, not only because of its hotter and tigher spot, but overall output is a lot lot lot brighter. I am guessing maybe 20-25% brighter? But that's just guessing. My friend's old NightRider HID with claimed 600 lumens output is about the same total light out put (but spotier) than my Yinding with both XM-L U2's on on high. This is using the Samsung 5200 Gemini pack. My Gemini Titan with a single SSC P7 is only marginally dimmer than the Yinding.

3.) Mount totally sucks. The light spins on the mount. And I don't want to tighten it too much risking stripping the soft aluminum. The mount did not come with a rubber o-ring/pad between mount and light head to prevent spinning.

I'm over-the-moon happy with my solarstorm X2 and have recommended it to about 6 other of my riding buddies, all of which are very happy.

I wanted to try the Yinding due to good reviews, small size and tying to differentiate from my buddies now that they all got SS X2's.

Anyone have any tips/tricks to get more output out of these Yinding's?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    [QUOTE=neons97;11476450Anyone have any tips/tricks to get more output out of these Yinding's?[/QUOTE]

Wich Yinding do you have, one from the first good batch, or one from the second crappier batch?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Re: Gemini Duo clones

Battery - Buy another battery I read here FF ones not great to DX.
    Mount - Try a smaller O ring did you get two? Or in this thread there a easy mod for gopro mount. No more slip.

Edit - you didn't get O ring mount with light!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke&Lasers View Post
    Battery - Buy another battery I read here FF ones not great to DX.
    Mount - Try a smaller O ring did you get two? Or in this thread there a easy mod for gopro mount. No more slip.

Edit - you didn't get O ring mount with light!
    I don't think you read my post thoroughly. I am already using my Gemini pack which uses Samsung 2600 cells in 2s2p for 5200mah. So even with the good battery, output is horrible.

And the mount issue isn't the bar mount itself. It is that the light head spins on the actual mount as it didn't come with any rubber o-ring/spacer and there is no groove or anything milled out to stop the light head from doing on the mount other than brute force of torquing down the screw into soft aluminum.

I would be fine with the bad battery and modifying the mount if this light had even remotely decent light output. The poor output is my single complaint and I'm looking for a way to increase its output beyond about 600 lumens (as I saidy old single Gemini Titan with an ssc p7 is about as bright as this dual xm-l U2 light which means something isn't right on this light that I revieved). Once I can do that I have no problem investing time and money into a better mount and battery. But until that happens it's not worth spending anymore time or money on this light

I like turtles
    Your Chinese cheap-o light roulette wheel didn't land on a good slot it appears.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Your Chinese cheap-o light roulette wheel didn't land on a good slot it appears.
    Nope. You're right. And I'm fine with that. My ssx2 has exceeded all expectations (I have one of the earlier good versions). And my 6 friends all with varying good and bad versions of ssx2 have no issue with overall light output.

So I'm just trying to see if there is anything I can do to the electrons to get more output.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Got my lens from Leddna today fast delivery from China to UK.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    It took some time to go through all the posts, been interesting though. Unfortunately I read it all after I made my order of UltraFire LZZ-U3. Anyway I'm still happy with it. You may find my review on it here. Choosing it, I should say I was focused on having a light with XM-L2 U3 bins ... obviously this is not the case.
    Now as you mention it everywhere, I also have to check the sealing and the cooling but I can't find how to disassemble it. As you may notice on this model there are no (visible) screws. Please anyone with the same light body build to share how can I open it?

I like turtles
    Seems you can't trust what LED you will get with these and that is one of the big downsides of going this route.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gulliverbg View Post
    Now as you mention it everywhere, I also have to check the sealing and the cooling but I can't find how to disassemble it. As you may notice on this model there are no (visible) screws. Please anyone with the same light body build to share how can I open it?
    I think I remember reading that you have to unscrew the bottom handlebar mount to access screws which hold the back on and then the innards come through the back (or perhaps there are screws inside which release the front - I never did understand how this exactly came apart). I have the same/similar light coming from Kaidomain (KD branded), so thanks for your review in the other thread! I do expect it to need attention to heatsinking.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post
    I think I remember reading that ...
    I will give it a try and share the outcome in the coming days. I hope I will not burn it up going for a ride before that

Edit: No visible screws at the front or back side. The only screw I found was under the soft sticker on the mount which did not help me open it. I also tried to open the back side with a thin blade which also didn't work.
    Please anyone who has done it to help!
    Last edited by gulliverbg; 10-05-2014 at 12:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Re: Gemini Duo clones

Fitted new lens 45° The beam nice and tight with feather edge.
    Looks brighter too

Vancbiker must be my imagination
    Last edited by Smoke&Lasers; 10-06-2014 at 11:21 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Interesting, usually a dimpled face really diffuses the light.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I want to get another Duo Clone, but I want an actual original Yinding YD-2XU2, NOT a clone of the clone.
    From other posts, it seems as though some suppliers have the Yinding listed, but are shipping a clone of it. WallBuys was one of the suppliers mentioned.

Does anyone know if DX or Fasttech, or anywhere for that matter, are still selling/shipping the orginals?

I like turtles
    I am thinking they are all gone based on these threads.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut View Post
    I want to get another Duo Clone, but I want an actual original Yinding YD-2XU2, NOT a clone of the clone.
    The clone of clones are generally easy enough to spot (not through a web-link). The real problem is that the original's themselves are of significantly lower quality than the very first batches. The "good" original's are all gone. The "bad" original's are around on FT/DX as are their clones. Generally, anything on eBay or Amazon is a clone of a clone.

I bought a Yinding YD-2xU2 from FastTech in September. From everything I've researched, I believe the lighthead is an original Yinding, but one of the "bad" original's with lower quality soldering, lower quality bar mount and the cheaper battery connector. The battery also sucks at <2,000mah.

Given that the "bad" original's have come down in quality significantly, the clone of a clone may not be that far off in quality from a "bad" original.

Don't forget...we're talking about $30-$50 (shipped) lightsets here. We all need to set our expectations correctly. We cannot expect these to perform and be durable like a Lupine, L&M, Niterider, etc. Consider them disposable lights and you'll be very satisfied with yours when they last more than 2 seasons.

I like turtles
    Anyone see this? Action is now offering a 60-deg wide-angle for the Duo.

Action-LED-Lights ? Wide Angle Lens for Gemini Duo

Just Ride !
    Is the securitying version the same as the yinding ??
    Hit the trails with your bike and get freaky.

mtbr member
    You spot it on Amazon? I saw it there. Looks identical to the KD version by the photos (which is not an original Yinding). I too wondered if the Amazon one was any good. At least Amazon is a better place to "chance" than a Chinese shop.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post
    You spot it on Amazon? I saw it there. Looks identical to the KD version by the photos (which is not an original Yinding). I too wondered if the Amazon one was any good. At least Amazon is a better place to "chance" than a Chinese shop.. Garry
    Is this the cloneOFclone?
    SecurityIng® 4 Modes Waterproof 2300LM 2X CREE XM-L U2 LED

or is this it with the hood? Hood could be nice for SS...

SecurityIng® 4 Modes Waterproof 2X CREE XM-L2

mtbr member
    The first one is the one. That second one is a rebadged UniqueFire HD-016 with seperate flood and throw (a nice unit).

-Garry

Just Ride !

Wonder if those drop right in with no fuss.
    Hit the trails with your bike and get freaky.

mtbr member

Just installed on my bar light, works very well. I have a Gemini Duo 2013 on the bar (1300 lumen) and a 2014 on the helmet (1500 lumen). Now one of the lenses on the bar is the 60-deg flood. I like the result quite a lot, it adds a nice amount of peripheral lighting and makes for a very nice light spread. It can actually be used alone at moderate speed. With the spot Helmet light it works great. Great combo

I tried with two 60-deg flood but it dampens the light too much.

mtbr member
    Good to hear some feedback on these optics. I just made a order with Action that included a couple of these for my Duo. Ironically I got the Duo to use as a helmet light and was disapointed Gemini never made a spot optic for it. Now it looks like it will end up as a floody bar light.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    Good to hear some feedback on these optics. I just made a order with Action that included a couple of these for my Duo. Ironically I got the Duo to use as a helmet light and was disapointed Gemini never made a spot optic for it. Now it looks like it will end up as a floody bar light.
    Mole
    In praise of a flood light: tonight I got caught in some very heavy coastal fog. Could not really see much. Turned off my headlight and bingo! The bar flood was plenty! Very nice. Another + for Gemini Duo bar (flood) and helmet (spot).

Somebody asked: the 60-wide lens just pop in without any fuss. Installation takes 5' at most.

mtbr member
    Posted about my KD Duo/Yinding clone over in the Yinding review thread, post #201.

-Garry

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415