Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Gemini Duo clones

167K views 736 replies 109 participants last post by  garrybunk 
#1 ·
Anyone have one of the Gemini Duo clones from Ali Express or Fasttech?

What's the practical difference (if any) between the XM-L U2 and XML2 T6 LED's?

#600 ·
I;ve got mine in now. Just got the battery case, loaded it up and tested it.
Wow it was bright!
I then charged the batteries and attempted to futz around with modes..Now my L-M-H is 20% of what it was, I think I have put it into an alternate mode....But of course no instructions... It has L-M-H and strobe....
Tony

#605 ·
Initially in the garage it put out a ton of light..I was like cool. Tried a couple different modes...then all of a sudden, reduced output. I took the 4 individual keeppower cells and charged them. I use one of those 4 cell 2s2p holders. Now I have the modes like I should, but the output is miniscule....on high its like I dunno, 100 lumens? very low.
on low its like 1 lumen...it strobes , but again, very dim. I took it apart but dont know what i'm looking for. Solder looks good

#610 ·
Step one; test it with another battery set-up, if no change then at least it has nothing to do with the battery holder.

It could possibly be a bad power connection inside the lamp or a problem with the driver...in which case if it's the driver it's pretty much done. Try moving the wire around while the lamp is on. If there's a partially break in the wire you might see the lamp get bright for a sec. If this happens you can fix it if you can find the weak spot.

If you don't see a change by moving/bending the wires ( this will sound stupid but..) try banging the lamp on something hard and see if you see any momentary brightness. This would indicate a lose connection inside the lamp that just might be fixable.

#611 ·
Ok...been searching but can't find it...any of the folks that frequent this thread remember where the beam shots of the Yinding are with the various lens from LEDDNA are? I just ordered another Yinding (this is addictive!) so I can run one on the helmet/one on the bar and was thinking of swapping out the bar lens to get more flood. The neutral color of these things is great and I think the Solar Storm is too white to run along side the Yinding.

Edit. Ordered 2x45-deg lenses from LEDDNA...$2...big spender ;)

#614 ·
Did you get the clear or frosted 45 deg lenses? I got some frosted and it knocked the light down too much also got 30 clear and they work pretty good, think I should just get some 45 clear versions to compare.

#615 · (Edited)
Just dropped in the 45 degree clear optics from LEDDNA. Came in less than 2 weeks. Easy install, will try in a few days. Beam shot in dark garage certainly looks more broad. $2 delivered.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

#616 ·
So I got my second one today from Wallbuys, took a little over 2 weeks..not bad! Some issues here...this is not the same light as the one I originally bought/reviewed here. The differences:

While the exterior case is the same, the lenses are smooth across the front instead of dimpled.
The mount is crappy; it doesn't sit flush and sticks way out of the back (like the photos of the Yinding clone [clone of clone]). I will dremel the part down that is causing the interference. The rubber piece on the mount isn't as nice.
The battery is shrink-wrapped in blue rather than black.
The battery cable connectors are not the snap-together MS type, but the cheaper type that are easy to pull apart and won't be waterproof.
The rubber bands are more like the MS type; my original came with tabbed-bands that were softer.
The light doesn't "softly" increase in brightness when you change levels from low to high.
And finally, the button on the back looks different and has a harder click.

I think I got one of the cheaper more current versions..still plenty bright!

#617 ·
Got exactly the same from Wallbuys yesterday for my friend. All that things + front panel doesnt have any o-rings around the body and lenses (you can upgrade that with 1mm o-rings of correct diameter that you can buy at your local store)
The battery is crap, did not test it yet, but I fell it doesnt run more than 1h on full.

PS: I ordered this sku
$48.48 Yinding 2 x CREE XM-L2 T6-3B 1600LM 4-Mode Dual Head White LED Bicycle Lamp + 8.4v Battery Pack + Charger-Black
but instead I got this one
$46.46 Yinding 2 x CREE XM-L U2 1800LM 4-Mode White LED Bike Light / Headlamp-Black(4x18650)
(The review below this sku is mine. It is for the sku mentioned above (original yinding) and not this crapy fake cheepo)
Those Wallbuys are chinese fu... and I am never going to buy anything from them. Not to mention their web site is crap.

I am still thinking on fileing complain.

#618 · (Edited)
I don't think my "good" one had o-rings around the individual lenses, only the body.

Edit: Wrong, my "good" one which appears to be the first-gen modded with XM-L2 emitters has small clear o-rings around each lens AND the whole front bezel where it meets the main body. The second one I received is certainly not of the same quality.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

#619 · (Edited)
Interesting, I just looked on the Wallbuys site; the one I ordered shows as the original in the pics and is sku#13047. The one I received (crappier one) is shown as well, but as sku#10809. I sold this one to a buddy so I am going to leave it alone..but if it was for me, I would go back to Wallbuys and ask for either my money back/return or have them send me the other (if it is even available).

#621 ·
Its just what Wallbuys has listed for the 2 different lights on their site. One is what I got, the other is like my original. I ordered another original, and got the crappier one. I think I will take it up with them as that is crappy..but hey...its $45 and still works fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.