mtbr member

Garmin Headlight... Why?

Garmin owns the GPS market. It's rare that a company can be so dominant in a consumer space. I love my Garmin GPS products. That's where it ends. It appears they've decided to jump into the lighting space. I can't imagine this move will pan out any better than their foray into action cameras. The last thing I need is a smart headlight. I'm sure SoHo Urbanites and Blue Tooth Weenies will snap these up like hotcakes.

Who really needs a light that auto-adjusts with speed?

Garmin Varia UT800 Smart Headlight

• Dimensions (LxWxH): 3.8" x 1.3" x 1.2" (96.6 mm x 33.5 mm x 29.7 mm); 1.8" with flange (44.7 mm with flange)
    • Weight: 4.6 oz (130.0 g)
    • Battery life: 1.5 hours, high; 3.0 hours, medium; 6.0 hours, low; 25.0 hours, day flash; 6.0 hours, night flash
    • Lumens: 800
    • CREE LED: yes
    • Degrees of visibility: 270°
    • Visibility distance: 1 mile (1.6 km)
    • Water rating: IPX7

Name:  i-QkLgPfL-Th.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  7.2 KB

In the near future, everyone is going to need tandem bikes so they take their velo-engineer with them to make sure all of their devices are paired, snyc'd and charged and to yell "I'm giving her all she's got, captain!" over your helmet to helmet wireless microphones of course.
    Rules to live by...

1. Never settle more for less.
    2. You pay what you get for.
    3. Never make the same mistake once.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    While their original action cameras didn't do well, I really liked them - reliable, decent batterylife, integrated GPS, handy screen, fantastic controls etc. which I much preferred the GoPro3 Black I had at the time.

I am interested in this Garmin light primarily for the integrated gopro mount which I can use on my helmet (which has an integrated gopro mount) and also easily mount on the road bike with the combined Garmin/Gopro mount. The performance figures on it look reasonable and while I'm not that bothered about the smart features, I've not seen many other similar lights but would be interested to hear of any recommendations.

John
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    GoPro compatible mounts exist for more lights than not these days. Their a over the place honestly, take your pick.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    GoPro compatible mounts exist for more lights than not these days. Their a over the place honestly, take your pick.
    And for many lights that don't come with GoPro compatible mounting, I've got those covered.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    So, the only news here is they're now doing a front light as well? Cause they had a Varia rear light for a while.
    Incredibly overpriced and targeted at die-hard Garmin users, I guess. Exposure already does speed/gradient adjustment (without a need for a separate GPS unit), and some lights do BT connection/sync to a phone.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    They certainly have manufacturing and design experience so why not try other products? I do like (don't yet have one) the rear radar and display for road cycling. They need a lot more experience when it comes to lights though. I have an Exposure, an old Jetlites, and several Lupines. I have no need for a new light but I still like to see and hear about them, especially as the companies innovate and develop longer battery lives and better beam patterns. I think the brightness war can end though.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 4004 View Post
    So, the only news here is they're now doing a front light as well? Cause they had a Varia rear light for a while.
    Incredibly overpriced and targeted at die-hard Garmin users, I guess. Exposure already does speed/gradient adjustment (without a need for a separate GPS unit), and some lights do BT connection/sync to a phone.
    big selling point on the varia rear light is that it has radar built into it, which allows it to do things that a regular light doesn't (brightening when a vehicle approaches, providing indications on your heat unit of approaching vehicles, etc). They've had a front light for years, too...OP seems to be whining about only this one new light. I really don't get why.

I don't have a problem with Garmin offering products like this. I don't see a need for this one for me, but why not offer the option for someone who likes the features? Garmin's getting out there and releasing lots of stuff that's loosely associated with their market....

Are you going to also rip them for releasing this?
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/530464

They've had a whole line of dog training devices for years after they bought a manufacturer of such things.

mtbr member
    Interesting but only if you think you might like the idea of a lamp that automatically varies output according to your speed. Even if you like the concept I'm not sure it's worth paying for because for one, not everyone will like the same amount of light given a certain speed and two, output is going to vary as to how fast the GPS unit can tell the lamp what to do. I'm sure there is going to be a delay even if you use a separate speed sensor.

Looks like a nice build but for the price I'd rather be able to switch out a battery and/or have a wireless remote switch. For comparison I could buy a Cygolite Expilion 850 for about $80 ( and have a switchable on-the-fly battery ) or I could buy two Raveman CR500's ( has wired remote ) and still spend less than the asking price of the Garmin.

On a side note while checking out the Garmin lamp website I did happen to notice that Garmin sells a very nice looking GoPro type bar mount that would undoubtedly work very well with some of my other GoPro mountable lamps. Not cheap but so far I can't find another commercially made GoPro bar mount that looks as nice, is compact and is going to work. While the price is high it's not a deal breaker. I've already tried the cheap Chinese mounts, I'll not go there again.

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Diesel View Post

Name:  i-QkLgPfL-Th.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  7.2 KB

In the near future, everyone is going to need tandem bikes so they take their velo-engineer with them to make sure all of their devices are paired, snyc'd and charged and to yell "I'm giving her all she's got, captain!" over your helmet to helmet wireless microphones of course.
    Funny !

I wonder how it will sell.
    For the lumen rating and other specs, I don't see far it from market prices and the Garmin name or reputation is something they are obviously trying to bank on.

It appears odd looking to me because the housing is so armored or thick looking - not a bad thing except it makes the lamp lens look small-ish.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bachman1961 View Post
    .......it makes the lamp lens look small-ish.
    Would be interesting to see some real beamshots. Small optics usually make for a kind of floody beam without much throw. From the picture it looks to have an unusual optic though.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    On a side note while checking out the Garmin lamp website I did happen to notice that Garmin sells a very nice looking GoPro type bar mount that would undoubtedly work very well with some of my other GoPro mountable lamps. Not cheap but so far I can't find another commercially made GoPro bar mount that looks as nice, is compact and is going to work. While the price is high it's not a deal breaker. I've already tried the cheap Chinese mounts, I'll not go there again.
    If you like the idea of that sort of mount, check out Rec-Mounts. Japanese company with an enormous selection of mounts and they make liberal use of gopro type mounts all over their lineup. Hundreds of mounts and adapters easily. Ordering can be tricky. Some of their more popular mounts are available on amazon, but a decent portion of their catalog is only available direct from them.

Good quality stuff. Lots of machined aluminum, so they are durable. Plastic where warranted and not gratuitous. I have a couple of their mounts.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    If you like the idea of that sort of mount, check out Rec-Mounts. Japanese company with an enormous selection of mounts and they make liberal use of gopro type mounts all over their lineup.

Good quality stuff.
    I'll second the recommendation for Rec-mounts products. I wound up not finding what I wanted in the US so ordered direct and had the mount for my GPS within a week. It's very nicely made!
    Last edited by sluglike; 05-05-2017 at 10:37 PM. Reason: typo