mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Function Flashlight - Small form-factor Triple XPG2 ~1600 Lumens

I was visiting CPF to get an idea as to the next generation emitters and lights and came across the following light that is the brainchild of some CPF'ers.

Cryos Illumination's Triple Function Light

Function Flashlight - Triple Emitter 1600 Lumen | Indiegogo
    Mods: I hope that I'm not contravening any rules by listing this funding link. If so, I will remove the link.

The light itself has a good form factor that is fairly compact and sports triple XPG2 emitters that put out a maximum of 1600 lumens. The cool part is that the inventors have come up with some ingenious ideas for making the light very versatile by including 2 threaded sockets that fit tripod mounts. This allows one to mount it on handlebars, helmet or even on a hydration pack for hiking. Also, the light levels are controlled via a dial that allows you to adjust the output to your desired level. Intuitive and very easy operation. The light is also multi-fuel taking either 1x18650, 2x18350 or 2xCR123 (cannot use 2xRCR123's though).

In my opinion, I like the versatility and multi-fuel capability and I would say that this light would serve well for handle-bar mounted illumination with a second helmet-mounted light for fast, knarly switch backs. My only concern is that, given it's only 1x18650, I would carry spares for longer night rides.

Still, it's an intriguing project and I like the small form factor, multi-use and multi-fuel capabilities. They are also looking at funding this project to put this into production so, anyone interested, please check it out. I am definitely interested in seeing this come to fruition so I'm pledging some funds.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I think it's a great idea since it's so versatile. 900 lumens for a hour and 45 minutes on a 18650 battery. A bit steep at $175. Of course the somewhat cheap bike lights were are buying really are only good on the bike or as a headlamp. I wish those were all multi-use!

The knob to adjust brightness is also nice. Forgot about all that stupid clicking.

They also said they would have swappable optics for $3. Very cool