mtbr member
    Oct 2005

"Full body" LED's

Can you say TRON...!?

mtbr member
    ...Okay, so we can see them real good. Interesting. Sadly, doesn't explain why anyone tries to ride a bike at night ( in complete darkness ) WITHOUT A DECENT FRONT LIGHT SO THEY CAN SEE WHERE THEY ARE GOING! If the message here was that the user can use these WITHOUT FRONT LIGHTS (?), THEN THEY ARE COMPLETE IDIOTS!..

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Are you not totally missing the point?

I see it as a group of friends having fun. They are trying to make a film that aesthetically looks great not a night riding instructional video.

They are not trying to suggest that they do their night rides with no front light. A front light would ruin the effect they are trying to create and you would be unable to see the led suit on the head on shots.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    ho hum looks ok in a video and for attention whoring, no real benefit to riding bikes tho

having said that, I want two full sets I can use for my next CX race

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    ho hum looks ok in a video and for attention whoring, no real benefit to riding bikes tho

having said that, I want two full sets I can use for my next CX race
    Oh I'm sure is a "just for fun" set up, but you do need to admit is really pretty to experience for the onlookers..

mtbr member
    Would I want to ride in a suit like that at night with no good headlight? No. Is it cool to watch people ride in them, I think so. People over think things sometimes. I think it was very entertaining.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by neninja View Post
    Are you not totally missing the point?

I see it as a group of friends having fun. They are trying to make a film that aesthetically looks great not a night riding instructional video...
    No, I didn't miss the point. I thought the LED lights on the bike and clothing were cool. I realize that the video was done to promote a product. That said when you promote a product you can never dismiss issues of safety even if you feel it might detract from the main issues at hand.

...They are not trying to suggest that they do their night rides with no front light. A front light would ruin the effect they are trying to create and you would be unable to see the led suit on the head on shots.
    As to this issue,I beg to differ. "Actions speak louder than words". Truthfully though I really wouldn't have paid the issue much mind if they had only rode in a parking lot or partially lit roadway but when they started riding on completely dark dirt mountain bike trails at full speed with NO FREAKING FRONT LIGHTS!....come on..that was just stupid. One guy actually crashed while the others sat there and laughed...Yeah, right...really funny (?)....NOT!

Look, people find different things entertaining and/or funny. Remember those "Jackass" movies?...you couldn't pay me to watch one of those. Watching people do dangerously stupid things is not something I find entertaining or comical. To each there own. My opinion; they didn't need the mountain bike segment to market the product. The product is more geared to road use anyway.

What I gathered from the video; looks cool when used on the road. Should do a lot to enhance "see me" visibility. On the other hand if you use these on mountain bike trails they serve no purpose other than to garner attention from your mountain bike buds who in all likelyhood will think you have a screw loose if you ride using a set-up like these.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Cat-man-do
    They are not promoting some new LED light product, they are a group of riders in Switzerland who make riding films. Nowhere have I seen anything to suggest that their LED suits and lights on the bikes are a commercial enterprise.

endless-gap on Pinkbike

To quote them from their Pinkbike profile page -
    Because we always have a good time riding together, we like to capture these moments with the camera, giving you a taste of the bike riding here and our lifestyle.
    Living near Fribourg, in the Swiss pre-Alps, we have lots of good trails in our "backyard" and only a short drive away we have access to plenty of bike parks and trails in the Swiss- and French-Alps. So watch out for some fresh Swiss-biking movies this season.
    It's all about personal choice. If they want to make a night riding film wearing LED suits then good on them. There are too many people in this world trying to dictate what is 'safe' to do.

mtbr member
    Cat-man-do
    They are not promoting some new LED light product, they are a group of riders in Switzerland who make riding films. Nowhere have I seen anything to suggest that their LED suits and lights on the bikes are a commercial enterprise.

endless-gap on Pinkbike

To quote them from their Pinkbike profile page -

It's all about personal choice. If they want to make a night riding film wearing LED suits then good on them. There are too many people in this world trying to dictate what is 'safe' to do.
    I would disagree with this observation. The majority of people I see riding bikes on the road at night have either very poor or no illumination at all. This tells me that, "Not enough is said to promote bike safety when riding at night". Excuse me for being a "night ride safety advocate" but in my opinion we need more people to step up to speak out on what constitutes "safe night riding". The video you posted is proof of this.

If your friends from Switzerland aren't selling a product than they are just out for laughs. That's fine. If someone makes a video of people doing something that is not particularly safe it should be expected that others might comment about this when it is posted publicly. Excuse me for thinking this was a product promotion. Makes no difference though. Riding through the woods without a front light at full speed is not real smart. I didn't post the video, I'm just commenting on what I saw. Nothing unusual there, that is what happens in public forums. If you're going to argue that this is not an unsafe practice you're going to be hard pressed to find people who post in this forum that are going to agree with you.

Sorry that I ended up being the "Woo-Hoo! lets have some fun" buzz killer. . When I was younger I tended to fly by the seat of my pants with little regard for safety. When you get older you live and you learn. Nuff said.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    CMD - I don't know the riders and didn't post the video, just thought it was a cool film. It's not trying to make a road safety message is it?

I'm no youngster either but enjoy watching people more skillful and daring than myself pushing new boundaries. Whether it's Felix Baumgartner's space freefall, riders at the Red Bull Rampage, Isle of Man TT races or Wing-suit flyers, the world would be a duller place without them.

Stuff like this -

After all the hobby of mountain biking is by it's nature potentially dangerous if you want to ride anything other flat paths. (and even they can bite - check out the Cedric Gracia crash - here

mtbr member
    But thats not safe. Its not promoting safety. You shouldn't post it. I love flying suit videos.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Highly enjoyable video! Love the suits these guys wear. They would make you super visible if you are riding on the road/commuting.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I want to combine one of these setups with my gloworms for my next 24hr Mtb race

mtbr member
    I am curious as to what the battery set-up is for something like this. Keep in mind every led represents a voltage drop.

Light freak
    I am pretty sure they are using 12V strip lighting. Comes in 5 meter lengths with about 300 LED's that can be cut to desired lengths. You can buy 90 degree and T splices. Would need separate batteries for each wheel, another battery for the red set on the bike, another battery for the body suit, and it looks like they have a separate battery for the set on the helmet as when he crashes into the tree and pulls off his helmet there is no wiring coming from his helmet. Looks like they are running Li-Po battery packs. You can see the one on the front wheel during the "Nutcracker" sequence.

"Full body" LED's-strip-light-battery.jpg