mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Front light with a slow flash mode?

I have a few cheap Chinese lights with a "strobe" mode but am looking for something similar with a slower flash, say, once per second or so.

It's mainly for road riding where I need extra attention without causing seizures! I used to have one from China but someone borrowed it years ago (then lost it) and I can't remember what it was.

Does anything exist like this in 2017?

mtbr member
    James,

Not sure about the inexpensive Chinese stuff, but I just bought a Gloworm XS and it has the day-time strobe which alternates between 1100 and 800 lumens. I have a video (below) that shows the strobe mode at the end around 2:54. This was very important to me since I have to do a fair-share of traffic riding to get to and from trails. There are a few other brands like Gemini and NiteRider which also have the strobe.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Most brands have a strobe these days. Big high power lights like the XS are way to much for basic road use (over powered and blinding to others) but that goes for any light pushing that many lumens.

Ravemen lights are nice and slow pulsing. Designed very specifically for road use (wide beam, multiple steady and flash modes etc)

Ituo has several flash modes built into their lights so you can cycle through options for day, night, whatever.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by James Bass View Post
    I have a few cheap Chinese lights with a "strobe" mode but am looking for something similar with a slower flash, say, once per second or so.

It's mainly for road riding where I need extra attention without causing seizures! I used to have one from China but someone borrowed it years ago (then lost it) and I can't remember what it was.

Does anything exist like this in 2017?
    When it comes to "flash" function it's important to know how and where you want to use it. If your intention is to use it on the road in full daylight then you need something with some punch. At least 200 lumen. Also important to know how much money you want to spend.

I have my own road bike set-up with two kinds of flash options, one for full daylight and one for sunset/night. Daytime use requires more power to be noticed. Typical torch type strobes are too annoying. Bright is okay but it needs a slower flash frequency. I have two lamps I own that I've found have a nice daytime flash. The Gemini Duo is my "Go to". Press and hold the remote and you instantly have a perfect, very bright daytime flash. The other lamp I have with a good daytime flash mode is the Gloworm X2. The X2 has what I jokingly call "an atomic flash mode". Gloworm calls it, "Beacon mode". It is slower than most flash modes but it produces a sharp super bright pulse at the lamp's maximum output ( 1500 lumen ). If that don't get you seen nothing will. I've opted for the Duo ( for road use ) but only because of the wireless remote and the easy on/off function of the lamp. ( ...not to to mention that the top button on the remote gives me "Instant steady High beam"...very useful at times )

The next category of flash is for sunset / night function. For darker environments you don't need the higher output to get seen. I prefer a typical mini LED flasher, something I can mount on the bars or front fork and not take up too much room. The one I use is similar to the Serfas USL-5. ( mine was a Performance Axiom brand but is no longer available AFAIK ) While only listed as 70 lumens the optics of the mini LED's make very good use of the available light. It is VERY noticeable at sunset and at night. I also use one of the Raveman lights ( CR-500 ) for road use and while they include a few flash modes in the UI, I still prefer the mini LED flashers for flash use ( mini flasher is just brighter IMO ). I use the CR500 for it's steady cut-off beam pattern and the Duo is used only for back-up, flash or high beam use.

Of course there are many other affordable options. If you look on Amazon you will see a lot lights geared for road use. You might also check out the **COB type front flashers ( similar to Serfas Thunderbolt-front...**COB = "Chips On Board". ). Some of those are quite bright as well and the Chinese clones are fairly cheap. I don't think they would work that well in full day light but with two...Eh...maybe.

mtbr member
    I just noticed that my ITUO Wiz-1 has some awesome flash modes. Two of the flash modes are VERY bright and geared more for daytime use. The last flash mode is a "steady low with pulse" mode that would work well at sunset.

Been some time since I use a DiNotte product but the DiNotte bike lights always had great flash menus.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Cool! Some great options to choose from here. I knew I could rely on you guys to deliver! I'll let you know how I get on. I'll see if I can get some more video footage of the suggestions to double check speed/flash types and probably pull the pin on a purchase next week.

oh my TVC 15
    My Cygolight 700 has a flash-steady setting where it flashes 3 times then is steady for a second. Works like a charm.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

L1MEY
    I have a L&M Urban 800 that has a pulse mode for daytime riding. It's bright and no-one has run me over yet so I assume people are seeing it.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    - Jen.

because GIANT
    be careful

I have discovered two of my cheap chinese lights...when on any blink mode,
    eat up battery HARD, which is contrary to how it should go...blink should last 5 times
    or more longer than solid mode.

but two of my lights that run over 2 hours on solid, only go 20 minutes when in
    blink. garbage electronics and garbage blink profile.

Action LED Lights
    All the Gloworm lights from the XS down to the CX Urban have the Hi-Low strobe and a Beacon mode that flashes 100% every 2 seconds.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com