mtbr member

Flashlight Running Modes + Times + Batteries

Looks like I won't be able to pick up a legit lighting system in my budget, so I think I'm going to go the flashlight route.

Was thinking about a pair of P7s, one for the bars and one for the helmet. Will probably be going for 3 hour rides. I have some questions:

1. Is the main disadvantage to running flashlights the lower running times?
    2. Is there a comparable light to the P7 with perhaps less output but higher running times?
    3. What about running two lights in a lower running mode? I am hoping to get away with only switching out my batteries once during a 3 hour ride, but if necessarily I can certainly do two switches. I was thinking about the 2-Mode P7s for simplicity, but am open to the multi-mode lights if those can offer a better compromise with running times.
    4. What are the best batteries and charger on the market? Is there a charger that holds four batteries? What about the Sanyo charger and batteries ( http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13441 )?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Any help? Hoping to place an order tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Dunno much about flashlights, but I know some about AAs: forget the NiMh types, they self-discharge quite fast. Get the Sanyo Eneloop batteries which solve this problem, or, if you are going to order from DX, get 18650 LiIon powered flashlights with cells and charger. They are far better than the standard AAs.
    Err... speaking of which... are there any MCE or P7 flashlights that operate with AAs? I haven't seen one, they mostly use the 18650s.

btw. you can also check the Cree MCE flashes, they are similar to P7s. Some like them more. But it seems to be a gamble finding a flashlight with a good beam shape/reflector, proper build quality and a proper driver. And if you add all the necessary accessories - cells/batteries, charger(s), mounts, they are not so cheap anymore. Well, it's your money of course ;-)