Thread: First lights

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

First lights

Thinking of buying a P7 torch for bars and Fenix TK11 for helmet. Want to do some night time singletrack fun rides and my first 24hr race

Any reason why i shouldn't go for this set up if i want to only spend about 100?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Sounds fine.

the minus points I can think of are the handle bar mounted beam pattern may be a little narrow. If the p7 torch you buy takes one battery you may need to change batteries after 1 hour or run leads from the torch to an external battery pack. Turboferret offers one device you can use. Some P7 torches will dim progressively. And do folks say a p7 flashlight is about 450-550 lumens? you may want a pair.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    One P7 is on par if not slightly better than a HID and people have been riding with just one HID for the last 10 years now with no quibble so 1 will be fine. If your going for a P7 why a TK11, they are so much more, you'd be better off with the spiderfire C8-R2 (18650). Same kind of output as the TK11 but less than half price, spend the spare cash on batteries.

Theres a store in the UK , caving-gear that brings the spiderfire in, they tried loads of 18650 torches and decided on that one, so it must be pretty good.

Chris