Thread: First lights.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

First lights.

Have been needing lights for a while but so many choices make it difficult to decide.
    I live in a very hot desert climate and need lights that can handle the heat.
    I need them for all around riding ranging from commuting to technical and fsat trail riding.
    Ive been looking at the Glo worm xs and x2 combo but still on the fence as im looking to get as much light as possible with a great distance and coverage, problem is without any experience its hard to know what that is. Thinking that a super bright light can always be run on lower settings to get longer run time but still have a lot of usable light.
    Cant afford lupine or id jump on that in a heartbeat...!!!
    Any thoughts on the new glo worm lights...?
    Or is there any other lights that can handle the heat, give lots of light and are user friendly.

Thanks for any help as i know I'm asking subjective question.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fxr man View Post
    Have been needing lights for a while but so many choices make it difficult to decide.
    I live in a very hot desert climate and need lights that can handle the heat.
    I need them for all around riding ranging from commuting to technical and fsat trail riding.
    Ive been looking at the Glo worm xs and x2 combo but still on the fence as im looking to get as much light as possible with a great distance and coverage, problem is without any experience its hard to know what that is. Thinking that a super bright light can always be run on lower settings to get longer run time but still have a lot of usable light.
    Cant afford lupine or id jump on that in a heartbeat...!!!
    Any thoughts on the new glo worm lights...?
    Or is there any other lights that can handle the heat, give lots of light and are user friendly.

Thanks for any help as i know I'm asking subjective question.
    In a desert climate summer night rides are going to test the thermal limits of most any small high output light. Gloworm, Lupine, and Ituo all have an advantage over other manufacturers when used in the desert because of their linear method of thermal management. Power output raises and lowers gradually according to the lights ability to handle the heat safely. Lupine Betty/Wilma are out not only because of price but the lighthead emitter layout is not very traffic friendly and you mentioned commuting as one the functions it will be used for. Piko would be fine but I'm not sure you actually get any benefit over an Ituo XP2 of Gloworm X2 for the extra money you pay IMO. Ituo XP2/XP3 And Gloworm X2/XS are very similar lights. Similarly laid out horizontally opposed 2 & 3 emitter lightheads, changeable optics, wired remote (removable for Ituo), excellent vendos to purchase from, warranty's. Gloworms a a bit more power, far better mounts (with the exception of the GoPro mount which attaches with the tiniest screws I've seen this side of a watch (yes I stripped one out first try with very little torque), battery power level guage. Ituo's advantages are price, neutral white emitter tint, better GoPro mount attachment (this is important for me), removable/replaceable remote wire/button, additional mode/power button top mounted on lighthead.

Pretty equal lights but the GoPro mounting decides it for me. I like to run "Vancbiker" mounts (picture below) for extra performance because of superior cooling + horizontal beam aiming capabilities. Hope this is what you were looking for. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
    Mole

https://www.ituolights.com/

https://www.action-led-lights.com/

First lights.-003-4-.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    It looks like ituo has more lumens but you say glow worm has a bit more power..? Just curious what that meant.
    So would the glow worm combo with the neutral light upgrade be the way to go...?
    As far as commuting I'll just run the lights on low so as not to offend traffic.
    Again thanks for your replies as your advice is what I'm using to purchase these lights in the next couple of days.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    ....... Ituo XP2/XP3 And Gloworm X2/XS are very similar lights. Similarly laid out horizontally opposed 2 & 3 emitter lightheads, changeable optics,
    Highlighted this feature because I think many users just live with whatever beam shape the light comes with. Having the ability to swap spots, to floods, or others, or combinations gives you the ability to figure out what you like best or works best for you.
    Last edited by Vancbiker; 07-12-2017 at 03:10 PM. Reason: fix quote
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    It looks like ituo has more lumens but you say glow worm has a bit more power..? Just curious what that meant.
    So would the glow worm combo with the neutral light upgrade be the way to go...?
    As far as commuting I'll just run the lights on low so as not to offend traffic.
    Again thanks for your replies as your advice is what I'm using to purchase these lights in the next couple of days.
    I measure light output of all my lights with a light meter (bounce test/center beam @ 2 meters). My older 2200 version XS indeed makes a little less lumens than my 2300 version XP3 buut sometime last yr. Gloworm bumped the XS to 2500 claimed lumens via newer emitters and massaging other internals to deliver more amps. to them. Both these company's are very consistent about at least meeting their lumen claims so safe bet the newest XS out powers the XP3 by a little bit. I do own the latest version X2 though and even though Gloworm didn't make any power increase claims it has about 15% power advantage over my previous generation X2 and about a 10% advantage over my Ituo XP2. A couple of hundred lumens is hardly noticeable at the XS/XP3 output levels but I can tell a little difference between the X2 and XP2 mostly in throw. Warmer emitter tint allows me to see better with the Ituo lights though and trumps the Gloworms power advantage IMO.

Commuting comments I made were in reference to lighthead construction/emitter layout (less top spill/easier to aim horizontally apposed emitters compared to stacked ones). Hope this helps!
    Mole

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Looks like glow worm then.
    Can you advice on the led color upgrade on the glow worm..?

mtbr member
    Sorry I can't help on this question. I thought about doing this but could never get any information on the emitters being substituted for the originals. Emitters play a critical part in determining the overall max. output of the light so if a lesser grade is used you'd get a power reduction. Too many unknown variables for me to want to risk it. Hopefully someone who has done the tint swap with action will chime in with what they thought of the process and results.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Would love to have some info on this before I buy.
    I'll call action led and ask some questions and if anybody has this upgrade and can comment it would be appreciated.
    Again thanks for all your replies.
    Maybe I should think about the ituo..?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Looking at the ituo site I see there is a sale rite now.
    Xp4 and Xp3 combo...?
    Or Xp3 for the bar and Xp2 for the helmet.?
    What battery packs ..?
    Mole as I re read your post it looks like you recommend both the glow worm and ituo but seem to lean towards ituo. Is this correct.? If so please recommend the best combo they have to offer so I can get the most light, runtime, best batteries and so forth. The sale ends very soon.
    Again thanks for helping a light noob..!!

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    How big of lights you need is up to you really. The upside to having more lumens is running lower modes the light runs cooler and a bit more efficiently.

There is not "best battery" these days honestly. As long as you go with reputable brands the battery performance is going to be the same. Its just how big the pack is based on how long you plan to be out riding.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

mtbr member
    Looking at the ituo site I see there is a sale rite now.
    Xp4 and Xp3 combo...?
    Or Xp3 for the bar and Xp2 for the helmet.?
    What battery packs ..?
    Mole as I re read your post it looks like you recommend both the glow worm and ituo but seem to lean towards ituo. Is this correct.? If so please recommend the best combo they have to offer so I can get the most light, runtime, best batteries and so forth. The sale ends very soon.
    Again thanks for helping a light noob..!!
    Ituo and Gloworm 2 & 3 emitter lights are very similar in performance and quality and happen to be my favorite lighthead layout. I mentioned before about the ability to run the "Vancbiker mounts" as the major factor in why I prefer the XP2/3. This time of year my night ride temps. are still above 100 degrees so the 10+ degree lighthead run temp. reduction I get with those mounts allows less light intensity drop from the thermal protection to maintain safe lighthead temps. when I run them hard in the heat. Less an issue with the XP3/XS since I seldom run them @ max. but noticeable on the 2 emitter XP2/X2 lights. I also like the Ituo controls better (mode switch on lighthead + removable remote). Don't particularly like having to deal with the remote wire when helmet mounted, light still functional if the remote wire were to be damaged, still retains low battery warning light if using non-Ituo battery. Bar mount is really the only thing I don't like about the Ituo light but is functional and reliable now that I've learned how to deal with it (I don't have to since I use the "Vancbiker mounts). Gloworm mounts a clearly superior in durability, ease of use, appearance, and center your light in front of the stemcap. UI in the main mode is identical on both lights but the Gloworm has an extra commuter mode that has only a 2 setting high/low which is very nice when dealing with traffic. While I consider the Ituo the better bang of the buck light the extra cost of the "Vanc" mounts (around $70 for 2 light mounts + 1 bar mount - only fits 1 bar size) + the extra optics that come with the glowworm minimize the actual cost difference for me.

Best Ituo light combo. XP4 is a great value if you want a ton of light. Not my preferred lighthead layout (non-adjustable optics, less traffic friendly because of top spill, a little large for helmet use) but would be similar to Lupine Wilma. Normally I'd recommend going with and XP2 for the bars and XP3 for helmet use but at current sale prices I'd spend the extra $15 and get 2 XP3's. Extra power if needed, more efficient use of battery power @ any given lumen output, better cooling @ any given lumen output because of additional lighthead mass/surface area, more customizable beam shape from optic changes. All that for $15 seem s like a bargain to me. No battery choice with Ituo, just get largest battery offered from Gloworm. Sorry to ramble on but seems like smaller details are important to you. Whatever you decide you'll be getting a very good light setup with any of the lights discussed here.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks mole, you figured me out as I do care about the small details and I appreciate the descriptions you have givin me. One last question would be is that I'll go for the two XP3's but you say go for the glow worm batteries, are these just plug and play or do I need anything else to make it work..?
    And get the biggest as in 6 cell..?
    Do the ituo lights come with batteries..?
    I'll double check as if they don't and have to buy them seperatly then I'll get the glow worm batteries...

mtbr member
    Thanks mole, you figured me out as I do care about the small details and I appreciate the descriptions you have givin me. One last question would be is that I'll go for the two XP3's but you say go for the glow worm batteries, are these just plug and play or do I need anything else to make it work..?
    And get the biggest as in 6 cell..?
    Do the ituo lights come with batteries..?
    I'll double check as if they don't and have to buy them seperatly then I'll get the glow worm batteries...
    Sorry we got our wires crossed on the batteries. Only 1 battery available from Ituo and a very good one. Not sure what your looking for as far as runtimes but on really fast desert trails (20+ mph) where I do use max power some I'm usually fine for 3 hrs. or more (2 hr. runtime only on max setting). If you think you need more battery I'd look into a 6 cell just make sure it has a Magicshine style plug. I've personally never totally depleted my stock Ituo batteries which are a little smaller capacity than the ones that come with the kits now.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thank you Mr. Mole for your help....
    I ordered the two Ituo XP3 lights you recommended with batteries and they will be here tomorrow...!
    Should I run floods for the bar and spots for the helmet ...?
    Or just run them both in stock form..?
    Excited about finally having lights for my night commutes and trying out trails in the dark...!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have two xp3's. I prefer all spot on the helmet, and a combination of floody and spot on the bars. I basically want my bar lights to fill in all of my peripheral vision, regardless of which direction the handlebars are facing. So basically everything within 30 feet is lit up. The helmet light needs enough spot to throw light way down the trail, but wide enough for closer work. I found the standard spot lens to be perfect for that.
    The standard spot lens does have a decent amount of spill too, so you might be happy with the standard lens on the handlebars. Most of my trails are tight and twisty, but if they were straighter I would probably exchange out one or both of the flood lens for spot.

Careful when using the lights on commutes though. A standard 55 watt low beam on a car is around 1000 lumens, so just one of your headlamps is putting out more light than the average car on the road, and it's much easier for you to tilt your head and put 100% of that light into a drivers face.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'm sure once I get out with my new lights I'll get a feel for what will suit my needs, so after reading your post I'll stick to the stock lenses until I see how everything works and go from there.

Thanks for the input as everyone has been giving solid advice.

mtbr member
    Should I run floods for the bar and spots for the helmet ...?
    Or just run them both in stock form..?
    Everybody's beam preferences are unique. I think you should just ride the stock setup for a while and wait till you figure out what your needs are.
    Mole

***I see you already figured this out***

mtbr member
    I realize that posting this now I'm too late to help you but I'll still answer with what I know; Some months ago I was contacted by Gloworm as they wanted to know "What bin of Neutral White " I would like to see Gloworm use. I know they were looking at XM-L2 U3 but they wanted to know what Kevin range I thought would be the best. I basically told them that I really didn't have a great answer but that I did like the tint on the ITUO lamps very much.. Since I didn't officially know exactly what they were using I told them likely in the 4500-4700K range.

I currently run a Gloworm X2 on the bars that has been retro-fitting by ActionLED with NW Cree emitters. While it likely wasn't a U3 it is a very nice tint and I have been very happy with it. Been using it in combo with my XP3 and the two tints look almost the same to me. Nevertheless I suspect that the GW newer lamps ( 2017 ) are going to be using the latest most efficient emitters.

Gloworm is suppose to be upgrading their lamps in the fall with "wireless" remotes. They are also suppose to include a mode button on the lamp as well. While I currently use an ITUO XP3 on the helmet, when ( or if ) Gloworm comes out with the Wireless stuff I will immediately buy a Gloworm XS, use it on the helmet, put a single flood optic in the center optic of my XP3 and then move the XP3 to the bars. Not that I need more light coming off the bars but what the hey, the XP3 is a great lamp so I might as well use it.

There is a caveat to the "long awaited" Gloworm upgrades though. The wireless remote upgrades were original suppose to be in the Spring of this year. Sadly that didn't happen. Later I was told that the wireless upgrades would come in the fall. Apparently the Gloworm people felt they needed more time to get everything right. Like before, when the newer stuff arrives they will likely offer a NW option through their USA dealer, ActionLED. I expect nothing but excellence from the GW products when they arrive, which is why I am still waiting.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks Cat,
    I already made a decision based on feedback from the people such as yourself who were kind enough to give some thoughts and advice and decided to go with Ituo XP3 lights.
    I received this little box containing two XP3's and was suprised how small they were and how well made they seemed to be.
    Being excited i immediately plugged one in and played with it going through the different settings in the back yard and all i can say is this thing is very bright and considering i was using as small flashlight to get me by i now realize i should have bought one long ago.
    Without getting on my bike at night yet my first impression is i might want the floodier lenses for the bar light as it seems to have a pretty tight beam pattern but it did have enough usable spill that i could probably get away with just stock lenses but having them both stock is something ill have to see about on my first couple of rides.
    Again thanks to all who chimed in and helped me out with this as your experience and sharing that with constructive advise is so helpful to people like me. Its people like your selves that make this forum what it is.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    So now that i have my main lights, what do i need for a backup light...?
    Assuming if one of my lights fail i should be able to rely on the other light to get me home but what would be a small easy to carry back up...?
    Was thinking a high lumen flash light as that would fit in my camelback.
    ????

mtbr member
    Assuming if one of my lights fail i should be able to rely on the other light to get me home but what would be a small easy to carry back up...?
    ????
    Backup light not really necessary if you always use both bar and helmet light. What I've been using as a backup is a Ravemen 900 commuter light (RAKC sell these). Reason I choose this light is it has a reverse USB port that allows charging of other USB devices from the light and I'm always forgetting to charge my cell phone. Lots of people use small flashlights though.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thank you sir ..!!

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Ya if im running dual lights i never carry a backup. No need, you basically have a back up in a sense.

Its the running one light alone then crashing, forgetting to charge etc and suddenly your in the dark. Especially important when you can be miles from the trail head or riding techy trails.

I usually have a custom little convoy s2+ that I put in my pack, more for trail side repairs or group outings as we like to stop at the overlooks and have a couple beers.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

mtbr member
    ????
    While others might say, "No need for a back-up light if you're using two lamps".. ( bars and helmet ), but I take the approach that, "Never know when you need a back-up for the back-up" but let me explain that thought:

..you're riding along...10 miles from your car at night...Suddenly the helmet light goes out. Nothing wrong with the lamp, you just forgot to charge the battery. Bar light is working so you're good. Because you brought your back-up 18650 torch along you decide to mount the torch to the bars, run it on 300 lumen medium setting and then use the good battery to power the helmet lamp....then there's that ride with your two best friends...One friend is only using a helmet lamp. Halfway into the ride his lamp fails ( because of battery )....at this point you might give him one of your batteries and then you use your torch OR...let him use the torch, whatever works out the best for all...
    Personally most of the time if I'm riding alone I just bring along a very small RCR123 type torch ( O-light S1 ) and mount it on the bars. I like this torch because if I wish I can use it to do a repair / change a flat by clipping it to my helmet. This way I don't have to use the battery power of my main helmet lamp to do a repair. With my normal helmet lamp sometimes even the lowest setting is a little over-kill for working on something up close anyway. I also have a Solarforce Z2 single AA torch which also works great as an alternative to the S1 but the S1 is a little smaller and works better on the helmet ( if I choose to use it that way ). Once again, if I think I'm riding with others I'll op for one of my Convoy S2's that use a normal 18650.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Well after having my new lights for about three weeks now I've only been able to use them three times for my night commute home but what an amazing difference these little jewels have made...!!
    No official trail riding but there is a couple of hundred yard dirt trails I take in addition on my route home and in the stock form meaning I haven't changed the lenses from stock yet and I had all the light I needed to blast through at 20 plus mph with no problem.
    I was able to ride as fast as I could peddle so I'm sure I'll have all I need for actual desert trails when I finally get out out there later next month...!!
    So far couldn't be happier..!!

mtbr member
    Can't wait to hear how you like your lights on the trails!
    Mole