mtbr member

Fenix BT20 users-- hows it going?

Not too much info on this light since the talk about the bad battery indicator in the pre production model-- wondering if I should take that as a sign. I need a new light for some bikepacking trips coming up starting next week and was wondering how this light is treating you? I will already be carrying some CR123A batteries for a PD32 that I am using on my helmet, and I am debating on either getting a BT20 for the handlebars, a PD32 ultimate, or the new PD35 which all put out roughly the same lumens. I'd also be open to something else, these were just at the top of my radar. My first trip is about a week long doing the C&O trail to the Great Allegheny Passage from DC to Pittsburgh, and the second is maybe 10 days (Colorado Trail Race) so I am planning on carrying a solid dozen extra batteries no matter what since they wont be easy to find in my resupply towns.

Is the BT20 that much better than another PD32 ultimate (or something else) that it justifies the extra weight and cost?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I was one of the testers last year and i still use this light. I use this as a handlebar light 100% of the time I ride at night. It's great on the road even better on the trails. I don't know if the issue with the battery indicator was resolved or not but I ride with a 3 cell battery (18650) pack that I hacked using the extension cable that came with the light.

It provides 1.5hr run time on turbo, 2.5hr on high and close to 4hrs on med. I usually have it on med setting when I'm out. I think all the info on this light will be found in the original BT20 Thread.
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Im a tester to. Still enjoy using it. Ive modded mine with a plane lens and go pro mounts. So i can quickly clip it on my lid in seconds

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Can someone please tell me how the helmet mount works with the Fenix BT20? I've never owned a light with the separate battery pack. Where does the battery pack go? Does it go on your belt or something? Is the cable link attachment long enough, etc?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gsreddin View Post
    Can someone please tell me how the helmet mount works with the Fenix BT20? I've never owned a light with the separate battery pack. Where does the battery pack go? Does it go on your belt or something? Is the cable link attachment long enough, etc?

Thanks!
    There are several ways to do it. You can attach a 2 cell battery directly to your helmet, or you can run an extension cord and put the battery in your jersey pocket or pack. Having the battery in the pack is kind of a pain because you are wired to your pack.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks for the info. I really like the spread/coverage of this light but no so sure about a wired battery pack. I would prefer a built-in battery with usb charger.

Thanks again

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Re: Fenix BT20 users-- hows it going?

Thanks for the info. I really like the spread/coverage of this light but no so sure about a wired battery pack. I would prefer a built-in battery with usb charger.

Thanks again
    I think I agree with you, but I did just order this light anyway. Due to the effective dual beam I speculate the light will work great on the bars. In a few days time I will comment on it.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Thanks again

One thing to consider, the total weight on what's on your helmet. If you have a separate battery pack, you can reduce the weight and strain on your neck by using the extension cable. If you have a one piece unit with built in battery, you do not have that option. If you talk to some more experienced night riders, or frequent night riders, they probably don't like having a heavy battery/unit on their head, not sure though.

I used this light on my head, for a very short period of time. The weight of the battery and light was more than I preferred. If I had the battery on my person, pack, or on the bike, the weight of the light piece would not have been a bother.

I went riding again, and used the handlebar mount, and strapped the battery to the bike, and the light performed excellent. I was very pleased. I biked down a paved greenway, so no trails. I used the medium and high mode mostly, the low mode was too dim to see very much, and the turbo mode seemed like overkill. For trails though, turbo mode would likely be my choice. I hope to ride a familiar trail with this light soon. I would like to test both mounts on my the trail.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Here is a video I forgot I had made with this light.

"By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Longtime 18650 flashlight user, both helmet and bar mounted. I waited for a lighthead/battery pack set up that used 18650 batteries instead of a battery pack, as I have a lot of batteries. I like the BT20, used it on the bars for several rides and last night on the helmet. The high setting is perfect for road urban riding. I prefer lights on the helmet and wanted to lighten the load on the head with just a light head. Quite happy with the light in general, the helmet mount is functional, I may look for a better mount, or I may modify this one with heavy duty velcro, not a huge fan of the straps. better light out put than my C8 flashlight, not by much, but more comfortable for me.
    dave s

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    How does the handlebar mounting hold up? Are the o-rings sufficient to keep the light from sagging while going through rock gardens and drops?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally Posted by trailshdw View Post
    How does the handlebar mounting hold up? Are the o-rings sufficient to keep the light from sagging while going through rock gardens and drops?
    Used it tonight for 1st trail use. The light shifted on my bars, I have an 80mm rst gila coil shock. So that could contribute to the moving. I will try head mount soon. The light performed excellent though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I've used this light for most of the summer on some difficult trials and I have not had it sag on me yet.
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally Posted by pucked up View Post
    I've used this light for most of the summer on some difficult trials and I have not had it sag on me yet.
    What kind of bike? And what o ring? Do you hulk stretch it or is it easy to secure?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I've used this on the following bikes:

Specialized Stumpjumper FSR
    Specialized Epic
    Giant XTC 29r

You don't need to be the Hulk to stretch the band around the bars. It's easier with the BT20 as you can rotate the light 90 degrees giving you better access to hooks. I only used the medium band for all my bikes and the light head has not moved.
    "By Your Command"