mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Fenix BC30 Combo

Was thinking of either getting a yinding or waiting on the nitefighter incoming review to complement a fenix bc30 light...Then I realised something.
    Why not got 2x convoy s2+ for a total cost of $30 which equates to 2000 additional lumens for 1h or 1000 lumens (2x500) for 2+ hours....
    It looks like a more budget and quality alternative (no battery case). What do you guys think of it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I carry my S2+ as a backup and can say the beam pattern is great for mountain biking. The question comes in heat, run times and mounting. For short trips, using the 7135*6 model, could work.

For longer runs, go with an XT40 on your helmet. Search the threads and you can see the beam pattern.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Thanks GJHS. Does the medium mode has heat dissipation issues too?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    No, on the 7135*6 version, medium runs for 3 hours on a KeepPower 3400mah. I have yet to run the light on high while riding to see how much cooling is possible.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountainking7 View Post
    Was thinking of either getting a yinding or waiting on the nitefighter incoming review to complement a fenix bc30 light...Then I realised something.
    Why not got 2x convoy s2+ for a total cost of $30 which equates to 2000 additional lumens for 1h or 1000 lumens (2x500) for 2+ hours....
    It looks like a more budget and quality alternative (no battery case). What do you guys think of it?
    Since the Fenix BC30 is designed as a bar lamp I'm assuming you are considering running two of the Convoy torches on the helmet ...(?)

Hard enough to get one torch to sit on a helmet right but two... ....not to mention the weight issue. The weight of two torches on the head/neck would be quite noticeable for most people who night ride.
    No, I think you'd be better with a standard helmet type lamp. I ride with one torch for shorter rides sometimes but if I really want more light I'll go with a multi-emitter helmet bike lamp.

BTW, I wouldn't use the Nitefighter BT40S on the helmet. The BT40S is better suited on the bars ( IMO ). If you want a smaller lamp with duel neutral LED's you might consider the Nightfighter BT21 for the helmet. Though I haven't seen the beam pattern on one of those yet my ( CAt ) gut feeling is that it will have some *decent throw. ( *I have a BT21 on order to test this theory ).

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    It will be handle mounted. I would use flashlight mounts for it....