mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Fenix BC30/BC30R - good choice for nighttime neighborhood trail rides?

Hi Gang:

So my son and I have been enjoying riding our hardtails in our community for about the past year. We never owned mountain bike before. Our community has trails in the foothills of Colorado here, but also some nice paved and dirt trails that sort of wind around through the neighborhoods. We have recently started going out on dusk rides and return home well into dark and it is quite an adventure and clears our heads of the day's stress. I currently have a Cygolite Metro 400 and it is decent on high mode (the claim in 400 lumens) but I think I would like something brighter to aid my aging eyes! I was looking at the Fenix BC30 which claims 1000 lumens on high mode as well as the BC30R which is apparently new for 2017. Going from 400 lumens to 1000 lumens seems like it would be a huge increase for me although I know you can't always directly compare lumens from one light to the next, right? The difference between the two Fenix units is the BC30R has a self-contained battery so no need to buy 18650 rechargeable batteries and a charger. Plus, I also understand from talking with Fenix that unlike their 18650 batteries they sell for the BC30R that have a 1 year warranty, the entire BC30 unit including internal battery has lifetime warranty - although it appears you might have to send in the unit for internal battery replacement.

I can get a good deal on the Fenix with a coupon code but would the BC30R be a good choice? I don't see us going on serious trails in the dark but it would seem this light would probably be plenty bright for our trails even if we ventured out on our daytime trails in the dark. Basically at this point the need is something a bit brighter for these nighttime "fun" rides as some sections of the easy dirt trails that wind around the area do traverse along streams and the like and I don't want to end up in the water or rocks!

The reviews I've read on these units are pretty positive. The biggest negative seemed to be about the silver color, the battery compartment some folks found difficult to open on the BC30R, and the huge bolt on the handlebar clamp. Perhaps some of these issues have been corrected but it looks like the silver head on black body color remains the same.

Thanks for any input!

mtbr member
    While I don't have any experience with the Fenix BC30/R I do have a couple of lights that are the same setup (2 emitter self-contained) and would consider them or the BC30/R ideal for the type of usage you described. Here's some links to some other lights I suggest you look at. If you have any questions about any of these just ask and I'll be happy to share what I know about them.
    Mole

https://www.ituolights.com/collectio...8650-batteries

https://www.ravemenbikelights.com/pr...led-bike-light

https://www.ravemenbikelights.com/co...led-bike-light

https://www.action-led-lights.com/co...-contain-light

because GIANT
    bc30r 2017 (yes that is the newest model number)

now the remote has more than just overdrive
    brighter light levels
    mount is improved greatly

they fixed everything.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Almost everything, still marketing at higher lumens than are actually in a useful mode. Only 1000 lumens without holding the button remote down. Definitely some changes made for the better.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Will90 View Post
    ...The reviews I've read on these units are pretty positive. The biggest negative seemed to be about the silver color, the battery compartment some folks found difficult to open on the BC30R, and the huge bolt on the handlebar clamp. Perhaps some of these issues have been corrected but it looks like the silver head on black body color remains the same.

Thanks for any input!
    I can't see a reason why one of the Fenix models wouldn't work for you. Seeing that it sounded to me that you are new to night riding I would also highly suggest having a second light as back-up. A simple LED torch would do fine particularly if you happen to be out on a ride and realize that your primary light is low on charge. At least with the BC30 models that's not likely to happen because the lamp offers a display letting you know how much run time to expect.

I carry a small single AA or single CR123 type torch along on all my MTB night rides. In a pinch I can mount it to the bars with a cheap rubber/Velcro mount or if I flat I don't have to use the power from my main lamps while I work on my bike.