Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Fenix BA4C Case found

Many of us have been looking for a good 2 cell battery holder, so I asked Dora and May to find out if they can get the Fenix BA4C 2 Cell Battery Case seperately. May just told me they can if there is interest.

Fenix BA4C Case found-image.jpg

The only issue is the need to swap the existing connector with the correct connector since it has a male connector rather than a female. I doubt they will swap it for us.

is there interest in this case?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GJHS View Post
    Yes, definitely!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    The only issue is the need to swap the existing connector with the correct connector since it has a male connector rather than a female. I doubt they will swap it for us.
    For these people who aren't willing to do soldering job: it's possible to use simple female/female adapters, e.g. like this one:
    DC Converter Plug Female Female Adapter Cable 5 5 2 1 20cm 3A Copper Wire | eBay

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Interested - depending on the price.

Remember this case does not have protection, so you would charge the batteries out of the case, in a separate charger.

I doubt it would be difficult change the lead coming out of the case. For those that don't want to do get their fingers dirty, and haul out the soldering iron, a simple solution would be to use a Y cable. They're short and will do the gender bending job.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_C View Post
    Interested - depending on the price.
    I hope the statement about $15 is true:
    Original/Real Yinding YD 2xU2 found

Remember this case does not have protection, so you would charge the batteries out of the case, in a separate charger.
    If used with protected cells, it doesn't matter.

mtbr member
    I'd be interested in trying one if Gearbest can get them at that price.

Connector swap is an easy job. All you need is a soldering iron and some heat-shrink tubing- narrow for the internal wires, then self-adhesive heat shrink for the outer.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Definitely interested!

I would also be interested in the case that comes with the Fenix HP30... it has a battery gauge and USB port which I bet is properly designed unlike the Solarforce one.

https://www.fenixtactical.com/fenix-hp30.html

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    For the right price count me in.

But 15$ is too much. You can get the case in Germany for 20.

Quote Originally Posted by bhocewar View Post
    For the right price count me in.

But 15$ is too much. You can get the case in Germany for 20.
    I wouldn't find $15 to be too much, given the Solarforce is ~ $10 and Fenix quality is significantly better than Solarforce IMHO.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'm interested also

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    If using a regular 2 cell charger that just charges 18650s, is that dangerous because they are technically not getting balanced? ( I suppose they are getting close to balanced, if the charger is properly charging each cell....but...I think that's different than true balance charging from something like a hobby charger, right? )

thx.

Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk View Post
    If using a regular 2 cell charger that just charges 18650s, is that dangerous because they are technically not getting balanced? ( I suppose they are getting close to balanced, if the charger is properly charging each cell....but...I think that's different than true balance charging from something like a hobby charger, right? )

thx.
    With a reasonable quality charger that charges each cell separately cells would typically be within .01-.02v of each other which is fine.

The concern with cells getting out balance when charged in a pack is they will tend to get more and more out of balance with each discharge/charge cycle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick View Post
    I wouldn't find $15 to be too much, given the Solarforce is ~ $10 and Fenix quality is significantly better than Solarforce IMHO.
    +1.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Definitely interested!

I would also be interested in the case that comes with the Fenix HP30... it has a battery gauge and USB port which I bet is properly designed unlike the Solarforce one.

https://www.fenixtactical.com/fenix-hp30.html
    I like that even more. This would allow you to power a phone in an emergency.

Would run times on most of the Gearbest 2x/3x/4x LED lights just be cut in half? Or might we see pretty comparable runtimes using quality high capacity cells?
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    With a reasonable quality charger that charges each cell separately cells would typically be within .01-.02v of each other which is fine.

The concern with cells getting out balance when charged in a pack is they will tend to get more and more out of balance with each discharge/charge cycle.
    got it, that makes sense.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I suspect hat the FT-30 Case would be much more expensive. For example it comes with the aluminum holster. While I do like a battery meter, I usually ride on packs that don't include one.

My concern would be if the USB port had the same parasitic drain it caused in the Solarstorm case. If implemented via the on/off switch for the battery meter lights, it would be a superior case, but price would be a deciding factor for me.

Don't get me wrong - I love the idea of our bike light packs serving double duty as a powerbank. MagicShine and Lupine have implemented them as dongles that plug into the regular end. I've even seen no-name third party ones that I'm less likey to trust. (Can't find a pic at the moment) A dongle does defeat "charge while riding, unless you use a Y cable.
    Name:  MJ-6086-9_medium.JPG
Views: 3109
Size:  12.7 KB
    Magicshine MJ-6086 USB Adapter: $14.95 USD

Name:  Lupine Small.png
Views: 3111
Size:  47.8 KB
    Lupine USB One: $19.50 USD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fenix BA4C Case found-screencap-2015-01-26-002.png  

I'd agree that price and parasitic drain are important reason ditch a USB port on the pack.

Although it'd be great if Gearbest would give us the option of at least trying the USB equipped pack.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    I'd agree that price and parasitic drain are important reason ditch a USB port on the pack.

Although it'd be great if Gearbest would give us the option of at least trying the USB equipped pack.
    It's all about interest and sales. If they will sell a few of the packs, it's not worth the investment to order a lot. They have to deal with minimum orders so they can't just order a few.

I will ask. Please list which one your interested in and yes I know it depends on price. The more we order the cheaper they get, so which do you prefer. I prefer the simple pack without the meter. The old Magicshine pack turned me away from battery meters.

I honestly want whichever pack is cheapest and has the best sealing.

I can always get a single 18650 USB battery pack to keep in the camelback for emergencies.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Please list which one your interested in and yes I know it depends on price.
    I'm in for the case mentioned initially: no meters, no protection, no USB power, please!

mtbr member
    I doubt it would be difficult change the lead coming out of the case.
    I have one of these cases. For the life of me I couldn't get to the innards to change out the cable. I would have broke something prying it apart. I'd be surprised if someone could keep the contact board in one piece getting it out to do the swap! I ended up buying the female-to-female adapter cable myself.

GJHS - don't count me for one since I have one, but I'd love to see a seller get these in stock!

-Garry

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post
    I have one of these cases. For the life of me I couldn't get to the innards to change out the cable. I would have broke something prying it apart. I'd be surprised if someone could keep the contact board in one piece getting it out to do the swap! I ended up buying the female-to-female adapter cable myself.
    Hmm, I was thinking all what you'll need to do is, to remove three screws pictured here:

Is there different versions of that case?..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by -Archie- View Post
    Hmm, I was thinking all what you'll need to do is, to remove three screws pictured here:

Is there different versions of that case?..
    Hmm . . . I can almost guarantee that mine doesn't have screws! I'll post up a pic tonight or at least by tomorrow. Is that one an older model? I got mine from a BLF user who I helped out about a year ago who got a few directly from Fenix. She inquired about more, but they wouldn't sell her anymore. We had interest in them over at BLF too. Tell you what - I'll post a link over at BLF to point those interested over here (though I don't know if they will create account over here or not - or if GJHS wants to create a BLF account either). I could be the mediator if you want.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hmm . . . I can almost guarantee that mine doesn't have screws! I'll post up a pic tonight or at least by tomorrow. Is that one an older model? I got mine from a BLF user who I helped out about a year ago who got a few directly from Fenix. She inquired about more, but they wouldn't sell her anymore. We had interest in them over at BLF too. Tell you what - I'll post a link over at BLF to point those interested over here (though I don't know if they will create account over here or not - or if GJHS wants to create a BLF account either). I could be the mediator if you want.

-Garry
    I checked current pictures of the case and I see screws.

I am a BLF member, I will post there if there is interest.

mtbr member
    I am a BLF member, I will post there if there is interest.
    Ah, I see now you started posting over at BLF. (I've been backing off of my BLF browsing and posting in the recent month.) I've created the thread already. Sorry if I
    stole some of your thunder. I'm not trying to take any credit or anything. The BLF thread is here.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thunder? Credit? Ha ha ha, it's all yours. My rep hasn't changed since the first pages of the Original Yinding thread. Now the Yinding warm tint still has me working way too hard for a free $30 light head. The only reward is getting some great deals for the forum and creating some cool new lights.

Thanks, I'm new on the BLF so I am cautious what to post.

My assumption (I know silly me) was that it would be possible to swap out the cable on the Fenix case, but if it turns out they can't easily be opened up to get access then I would recant my interest.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I would go for the original case.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    .. so I asked Dora and May to find out if they can get the Fenix BA4C 2 Cell Battery Case seperately...
    You 'd better have asked them wether they know a correct designed 2-cell case for outdoor usage

Fenix is violating all basic design rules, power source -> female connector!
    Even at low voltage! Possibility of a short within a bagpag for example..

Btw..Archie's cable is for indoor use only.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bianchifan View Post
    Fenix is violating all basic design rules, power source -> female connector!
    Not really: it's pretty common.

Even at low voltage! Possibility of a short within a bagpag for example..
    Such connectors use insulating ring at the edge: it's quite difficult to accidentally short it. At least, MagicShine-style is more prone to shortage by, e.g., key or metal pencil's cap.

Btw..Archie's cable is for indoor use only.
    I know, but it's better than nothing for those who don't like to resolder the cable. Many cheap lights are equipped with that type of connector anyway...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Many of us have been looking for a good 2 cell battery holder, so I asked Dora and May to find out if they can get the Fenix BA4C 2 Cell Battery Case seperately. May just told me they can if there is interest.

When you discuss this with Dora and May could you ask if they can order their amount with the correct connector. Or what the minimum would be.
    This would have the added benefit for the manufacturer of not selling something a bigger customer considers part of their product line.
    And it's better for us.

Fenix BA4C Case found-fenix-ba4c-case-found-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    One more thing. I've always thinking Fenix battery box is completely waterproof - but now, browsing various pictures available on the net, noticed that rubber seal inside the cover is sometimes present, and sometimes not:

Review: Fenix BT20 Lights | Singletracks Mountain Bike News

http://images.singletracks.com/blog/...1-14.31.20.jpg

GJHS, could you please clarify whether currently discussed one is waterproof or not?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Hi, I am coming from BLF because the possibility of a group buy for this box. I would be definitively interested if a good price can be agreed. For me, this would be around 10-12 eur for the box and up to 14-15 if the standard connector is fitted AND the carrying pouch is included. Right now this box (the original fenix BA4C) can be bought in several sites in central Europe for around 12 Eur, so I don't see much advantage on a group buy unless a better deal is got. In addition, 2s1p pack with charging/protection circuit and good quality batteries and the right connector can be purchased for about 20-25 Eur, so the proce of an empty box without circuitry should be close to 10 Eur to fill it with your choice of branded 18650 and make the ends meet. Anyway, these are just my thoughts. Thanks to GJHS for exploring the possibilities and see you around!

mtbr member
    Some quick pics of my Fenix case. Interestingly enough my box is labeled "Gift" (perhaps due to the way the user I got it from bought it from Fenix).

The black "felt like" covering in the top end does not want to come off. I would have to tear the %$#@ out of it to try and remove it. The board it is attached to does not budge either. There likely are screws underneath, but I didn't feel them (though I didn't search hard and had to grab the pics quick).

No telling how old my sample is. I received it approx. Feb. 2014.

One thing to be aware of is the very short cable! Pair this with a Yinding with adapter cable and you've only got like 18 inches of cable! (By the way, I just used this case with the adapter cable this morning to get my Yinding Tint pics.)

-Garry

I wonder how many we'd need to order to get custom cables.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Iker2 View Post
    Right now this box (the original fenix BA4C) can be bought in several sites in central Europe for around 12 Eur, so I don't see much advantage on a group buy unless a better deal is got.
    Could you post some links, please? Till now, I've only found it in one German web shop for 20 (probably, postage cost will be added, too)...

mtbr member
    If you're timid about cutting and soldering the cable, you could attach that adapter with about 25 cents of heat shrink tubing, and make a waterproof connection with another piece.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Could you post some links, please? Till now, I've only found it in one German web shop for 20 (probably, postage cost will be added, too)...
    I am new in the forum and I don't know your policy about links, so PM sent to a checz store carrying them at 11.50 eur + 6 shipping

The black "felt like" covering in the top end does not want to come off. I would have to tear the %$#@ out of it to try and remove it. The board it is attached to does not budge either. There likely are screws underneath, but I didn't feel them (though I didn't search hard and had to grab the pics quick).
    -Garry
    Definitely don't want to destroy that gasket as I think it would very hard to find replacement material.

If you look at the photo showing the placement of the 3 screws that are (I assume) behind that gasket you might be able to carefully poke a screwdriver thru and extract them and pull the board with the gasket still intact.

mtbr member
    By the way, I used two KeepPower protected Panasonic NCR18650A 3100mAh cells (pretty long) in this case and they fit fine.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I am new in the forum and I don't know your policy about links, so PM sent to a checz store carrying them at 11.50 eur + 6 shipping
    Got it, thanks! So, actual end price will be around 17.50: too much IMHO.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Got it, thanks! So, actual end price will be around 17.50: too much IMHO.
    Yeah, 17,27 shipped international.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Well, let's summarize the questions we currently have for GearBest about this item:

1)- Retail price?
    2)- Waterproofness?
    3)- Mounting pouch included?
    4)- Ability to be disassembled?
    5)- Custom connector (MagicShine or SolarStorm) possible?

GJHS, please be our messenger here!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have been using this Fenix battery case with Callie's Kustoms 18650 3600mah each for a few weeks now. This combo is awesome, I would love a 4 cell!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fenix BA4C Case found-p1060781.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I posted on BLF earlier but I guess it's better to keep track of this thread instead.
    I really want one

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    17.50 with shipping = USD $19.90.

I suspect the price from GearBest will be less, with free shipping.

Guys there is a significant difference between convincing a no-name small manufacturer to make some changes, and getting a name brand to alter their product. Another thing to consider is that Fenix would probably be filling the order from warehouse stock. I'd bet that when they had these made, they built all they thought they'd need for a couple of years. What you're asking is akin to saying "Hey Maytag, we want washers where the drum spins the other way."

Gary, is there an O-ring around the screw on the outside part of the case?

At most they'd consider it water resistant, claiming the foamy top provides enough of a seal. You might be able to add a large O-ring around the lip of the case. It's got a big screw down the middle. Logic says that's very likely a point of water ingress. Some water could work it's way through the plastic strain relief where the cable enters the box. This isn't a battery box for scuba diving.

mtbr member
    Yes, there is a nice fairly thick O-ring on mine. It's tough to see (hidden up under the knob). The O-ring seats on a kind of a raised platform which has a "seat" for the O-ring.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    That's exactly where I expected it to be.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    What's a good way to mount this to a back of a helmet?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Don't really recommend that, best to put battery in back-pack. I think it adds to much weight on head !!

Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    Don't really recommend that, best to put battery in back-pack. I think it adds to much weight on head !!
    I think for a 2x18650 pack it can be OK and if mounted near the back of the helmet actually helps to balance out the weight of the light on the front. For anything more than 2 cells I would agree it becomes too heavy and is better to put in your backpack.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Doesn't look like but this pack could be a decent alternative if the cells could be accessed and replaced by good ones:http://http://www.dx.com/p/8-4v-4000mah-waterproof-rechargeable-li-ion-18650-battery-pack-black-260079#.VMkx3WSG_sc

I suppose that the cells included are junk but for the price..... at least the carrying pouch and the connector could be savaged

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Cells are probably of junk grade, but the rest seems Ok. In addition to casing, pouch and cable, protection PCB could be used, too - but as usually with Chinese stuffs, after thorough testing only...

Doesn't look like but this pack could be a decent alternative if the cells could be accessed and replaced by good ones:http://http://www.dx.com/p/8-4v-4000mah-waterproof-rechargeable-li-ion-18650-battery-pack-black-260079#.VMkx3WSG_sc

I suppose that the cells included are junk but for the price..... at least the carrying pouch and the connector could be savaged
    I actually ordered on of those a few weeks back and the shipment is waiting to clear customs on my side. My plan is replace the crappy cells with some quality 3400ma (NCR18650B) cells.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    In conversation with May, I think the price will be right. She alluded to being able to get the female connector and said we would talk tonight about it since I was up almost all night working on the 3C issue.

I think by now with the few deals that I have started with GearBest, everyone knows to be patient for the best deal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks again, GJHS! Awaiting the details...

In conversation with May, I think the price will be right. She alluded to being able to get the female connector and said we would talk tonight about it since I was up almost all night working on the 3C issue.

I think by now with the few deals that I have started with GearBest, everyone knows to be patient for the best deal.
    Excellent news!

(You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to GJHS again.)

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I actually ordered on of those a few weeks back and the shipment is waiting to clear customs on my side. My plan is replace the crappy cells with some quality 3400ma (NCR18650B) cells.
    Cool, that can save me a few $$ and weeks. Please report if the cells are replaceable!!. On the other hand, 3,400 mAh cells may be not the best option depending on which light they are going to be used with: most lights won't be able to discharge these cells down to 2.5 V and use the added capacity, and even if they do the over-discharge protection circuit of the pack will kick in. You can save some money using branded 3000mAh with the same or better results.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Please report if the cells are replaceable!!.
    They're definitely not: it isn't a "battery holder", but just 2s battery in rubber enclosure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    In conversation with May, I think the price will be right. She alluded to being able to get the female connector and said we would talk tonight l.
    That is excellent news, thank you. Please don't forget about the mounting/velcro pouch, at least as an option.

Cool, that can save me a few $$ and weeks. Please report if the cells are replaceable!!. On the other hand, 3,400 mAh cells may be not the best option depending on which light they are going to be used with: most lights won't be able to discharge these cells down to 2.5 V and use the added capacity, and even if they do the over-discharge protection circuit of the pack will kick in. You can save some money using branded 3000mAh with the same or better results.
    This pack will most likely have spot welded straps connecting the cells together and connecting to the protection board. The cells will be replaceable only for those of us comfortable with somewhat fussy soldering and the application of heat shrink tubing to hold it all together.

I'll be using the 3400mAh mostly because I have a bunch of them already, but I also think they deliver the best bang for the buck. The discharge curves I've seen show them dropping off rather quickly around 3.2-3.0v (depending on current) so there is very little value in discharging them down to 2.5v and you risk shortening their lives by doing so.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I'll be using the 3400mAh mostly because I have a bunch of them already, but I also think they deliver the best bang for the buck. The discharge curves I've seen show them dropping off rather quickly around 3.2-3.0v (depending on current) so there is very little value in discharging them down to 2.5v and you risk shortening their lives by doing so.
    Well, having them available is enough of a reason but I don't quite agree with the other. The added capacity of 3400 mAh is because they are designed for discharging at the low 2.5V (that won't damage them) at which most lights and their PCBs cannot use them. If you have a look at this wonderful battery review/comparator site:Battery test-review 18650 comparator and you choose to compare panasonic 3.400 with, for example, LG 3000 mAh D1 batteries at 2.5A or 5A discharge draws, you will see that along their usable part, while they are above 3.20V, the LGs will hold as well or better (although the Panasonic are excellent cells and they keep very well at the beginning).

But hey, I am not expert and this is quite off-topic, please let us know how the dx pouch is built and whether or not it can be somehow reused when you get it!

Well, having them available is enough of a reason but I don't quite agree with the other. The added capacity of 3400 mAh is because they are designed for discharging at the low 2.5V (that won't damage them) at which most lights and their PCBs cannot use them. If you have a look at this wonderful battery review/comparator site:Battery test-review 18650 comparator and you choose to compare panasonic 3.400 with, for example, LG 3000 mAh D1 batteries at 2.5A or 5A discharge draws, you will see that along their usable part, while they are above 3.20V, the LGs will hold as well or better (although the Panasonic are excellent cells and they keep very well at the beginning).

But hey, I am not expert and this is quite off-topic, please let us know how the dx pouch is built and whether or not it can be somehow reused when you get it!

Thanks for that comparison link... very useful. I agree for high current applications (5A and above) the LGs appear to shine, but the NCR18650B will last longer than the LGs at the lower current loads though. The lights these pack are designed for are drawing 3A or less (per cell) so I still feel the NCR18650B are a better choice for that application.

Fenix BA4C Case found-capture.png

I'm certainly no expert either, but I do my research and pick products that are both well reviewed and have worked well for me in the past. The NCR18650B definitely fall into that category.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    hey lets do it. count me in for two.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    So from my understanding, if I have non protected cells but monitor level via the indicator lights on my headlight it would be ok, right?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by manbeer View Post
    So from my understanding, if I have non protected cells but monitor level via the indicator lights on my headlight it would be ok, right?
    No. If the cells aren't totally equal (in terms of charge level, capacity, internal resistance), you can't detect it by overall output voltage. Exactly the same issue is currently discussed in "SolarStorm 2s2p case" tread BTW.

If unprotected cells are used in such boxes (without correct protection scheme), weaker cells will eventually become damaged. I won't recommend putting unprotected cells in boxes that are unable to monitor them properly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Ok, we are trying for the SolarStorm connector. This is a slow process, so please be patient. I'm doing the best I can.

mtbr member
    Ok, we are trying for the SolarStorm connector. This is a slow process, so please be patient. I'm doing the best I can.
    Mike, even if Gearbest could get some of the rubber 2-cell casings as seen in the DX battery pack I suspect we'd buy some to waterproof Hunk Lee packs. I would definitely take a few.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks, I was curious because I have about 16 unprotected panasonic cells that I am pretty sure became unbalanced in their packs over time and I was hoping to salvage what I could from them

Quote Originally Posted by Ofroad'bent View Post
    Mike, even if Gearbest could get some of the rubber 2-cell casings as seen in the DX battery pack I suspect we'd buy some to waterproof Hunk Lee packs. I would definitely take a few.
    I wanted to do exactly this, as the Hunk Lee packs are made with my preferred NCR18650B cells. Only problem (for me) is Hunk Lee wants $12.95 to ship a single pack to Canada so I decided to get the DX pack and re-build it with Panasonic cells.

If you go the Hunk Lee route and waterproof cover, keep in mind you'll need to cut open the shrink wrap and unsolder the power cable so that you can feed it through the hole in that silicon 2 cell casing and then reconnect to the pack.

mtbr member
    I wanted to do exactly this, as the Hunk Lee packs are made with my preferred NCR18650B cells. Only problem (for me) is Hunk Lee wants $12.95 to ship a single pack to Canada so I decided to get the DX pack and re-build it with Panasonic cells.

If you go the Hunk Lee route and waterproof cover, keep in mind you'll need to cut open the shrink wrap and unsolder the power cable so that you can feed it through the hole in that silicon 2 cell casing and then reconnect to the pack.
    I would probably just cut and splice the cable if it's already nicely shrink wrapped.
    Either that or hold my nose and go the plasti-dip route.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hernluis View Post
    hey lets do it. count me in for two.
    +1 as well.
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Eff it, I'll take two as well. Hopefully with the female plug but if not it isn't the end of the world

mtbr member
    I regretted having to send back the BT20 I puchased solely for the loss of the pack. I'd like two cases.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

1:18
    Great find. I'll take two.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Not really: it's pretty common.
    Maybe, but not allowed within EU, the problem is the voltage at the primary side.
    If German custom offices will find them they will be seized, sometimes they will be sent back. Sometimes you can choose, return or destruction.
    A few offices let you import by cutting the power cable at the housing.
    As a private person you have normally no chance.

The "CE" sign on your phote should be Certified Europe, but it's rather China Export
    BTW, it's the most important reason for the "light head only" offers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bianchifan View Post
    Maybe, but not allowed within EU,
    What? Can you provide any link to official papers?

the problem is the voltage at the primary side.
    If German custom offices will find them they will be seized, sometimes they will be sent back.
    Maybe German laws differ from common EU, but I wonder how mentioned Fenix case is currently sold in Germany then, if the design is illegal?

In any case, I'm living in EU, and such power adapters are quite common today.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Just a heads up that we are looking at a March release here. In 2 weeks, China will close for a week (18-25th) so that will affect this project. I'm working on it, just don't expect it tomorrow. The connector swap is what is slowing it down.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    No prob, in for 2 with the connector swap.

So this is being ordered by Gearbest with the female connector and no USB?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    If it IS getting the proper connector I'm pumped! If not I'm still in for 2. Pretty excited for this

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    So this is being ordered by Gearbest with the female connector and no USB?
    Work in progress. It didn't have a USB to start.

jja
    mtbr member
    Great, I'm in for a couple also. Thx GJHS!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    In for one

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Ok I spoke with May last night and we are in persuade mode. The Spring Festival is slowing everything down, since the factories are busy getting ready to close for two weeks. Fenix is going to take some persuading to switch the connector for us, when the right people are free. As I said be patient, this is looking to be an after Holiday project.

I also know the interest in a 4 cell box as well. More info when I get it

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I would be in for 3 maybe 4

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Don't care which way the connector goes. Would be fine with the female cable adapter Archie found, even if it isn't waterproof I'm not doing any midnight triathalons. Still like to know though whether there would be an elegant way of mounting this case directly onto either a helmet or at least a head strap. Doesn't seem to have any belt loops like on the SolarStorm; hate having to ductape battery packs to my hair all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by andychrist View Post
    Don't care which way the connector goes. Would be fine with the female cable adapter Archie found, even if it isn't waterproof I'm not doing any midnight triathalons. Still like to know though whether there would be an elegant way of mounting this case directly onto either a helmet or at least a head strap. Doesn't seem to have any belt loops like on the SolarStorm; hate having to ductape battery packs to my hair all the time.
    With the 2 cell silicone covered cases I use a velcro strap to attach it to the helmet. This works well because of the sticky surface of the silcone, so I'm not sure how well this would work with a hard case. Maybe putting some rubber around it, like a section of inner tube, would bump of the grip so that the velcro strap could hold it in place better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Ok update time. Fenix turned down our request to swap the cable and trust me, it wasn't for a lack of trying. Now on to the good news.

The case is waterproof, we should be able to get the Nylon pouch and the price should be $15. All this needs to be confirmed and I'm sorry for the slow info. Next step is to get a good female adapter that will be waterproof.

In one week the Chinese factories will close for 2 weeks so be patient.

Is there still interest or drop it?

I'm still interested in one at least... I will try swapping the cable myself.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    The case is waterproof, we should be able to get the Nylon pouch and the price should be $15.
    Perfect!

Yes, I'm still interested.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    GJHS, how many straps does the nylon pouch have? Is there a picture somewhere?

Thanks.

Ok, so Fenix wont redo the wiring, but will Gearbest bundle it with an adapter?

Personally, I'd love a female-to-female splitter with a USB output. That'd be sweet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Ok update time. Fenix turned down our request to swap the cable and trust me, it wasn't for a lack of trying. Now on to the good news.

The case is waterproof, we should be able to get the Nylon pouch and the price should be $15. All this needs to be confirmed and I'm sorry for the slow info. Next step is to get a good female adapter that will be waterproof.

In one week the Chinese factories will close for 2 weeks so be patient.

I will still buy one but price is not as low as I would expect. The box can be found at 11.50 in some sites in Europe (including VAT), although shipping costs rise that price to 17 Eur (and the shipping would take less than a week). Since GB won't customize the plug, my decision to recommend the deal would be driven by the quality of the pouch and accessories for mounting in the helmet included (I think that these are not included in the 11.50 deal). Maybe you can use that reference price to press a little: GB is not charging for taxes and they will use the cheapest shipping rates so I asume their margin is still high.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Here's the Nylon pouch

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1064
Size:  33.0 KB

I'm sure, as with the other deals before, the price will be as cheap as possible. I'm sorry the info is so slow because of the holiday, though I'm looking forward to a bit of a break. I will get more info as soon as possible. As I said, this isn't the only case we're working on, so stay tuned.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    that looks sweet, seems to be the real deal. I'll take it. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    that looks sweet, seems to be the real deal. I'll take it. Thanks!
    I just found a picture online, not from GB. I'm sure it will be real, May said that it would be hard to swap the connector with a big manufacturer like Fenix. A clone company would be happy to swap things.

As I said, this isn't the only case we're working on, so stay tuned.
    May said that it would be hard to swap the connector with a big manufacturer like Fenix. A clone company would be happy to swap things.
    I see, said the blind man.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yes, I would still take 2. Hopefully this all works out

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Excellent GJHS! Thanks again for your undaunted resolve.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast