Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Fenix BA4C Case found

54K views 315 replies 45 participants last post by  garrybunk 
#1 ·
Many of us have been looking for a good 2 cell battery holder, so I asked Dora and May to find out if they can get the Fenix BA4C 2 Cell Battery Case seperately. May just told me they can if there is interest.

Technology Font Metal Parallel Rectangle

The only issue is the need to swap the existing connector with the correct connector since it has a male connector rather than a female. I doubt they will swap it for us.

is there interest in this case?

See less See more
#55 ·
In conversation with May, I think the price will be right. She alluded to being able to get the female connector and said we would talk tonight about it since I was up almost all night working on the 3C issue.

I think by now with the few deals that I have started with GearBest, everyone knows to be patient for the best deal.

#57 ·
In conversation with May, I think the price will be right. She alluded to being able to get the female connector and said we would talk tonight about it since I was up almost all night working on the 3C issue.

I think by now with the few deals that I have started with GearBest, everyone knows to be patient for the best deal.
Excellent news! :thumbsup:

(You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to GJHS again.)

#26 ·
Thunder? Credit? Ha ha ha, it's all yours. My rep hasn't changed since the first pages of the Original Yinding thread. Now the Yinding warm tint still has me working way too hard for a free $30 light head. The only reward is getting some great deals for the forum and creating some cool new lights.

Thanks, I'm new on the BLF so I am cautious what to post.

#194 ·
With protected cells it doesn't matter except they will fall out of balance in the case. In case charging they will only charge till one cell trips as full even if other cell is only half full. And vise versa in use. Dont need to balance every time but every 10-20 charges (or you notice pack charge time/run time is shorter than normal).

Protected cells are as safe as you get, can't over charge or over discharge. So a li-ion charger is all that matters for safety, generic or fancy. It performance of the cells that is improved by occasional balance/individually charging them.

#3 ·
#4 ·
Interested - depending on the price.

Remember this case does not have protection, so you would charge the batteries out of the case, in a separate charger.

I doubt it would be difficult change the lead coming out of the case. For those that don't want to do get their fingers dirty, and haul out the soldering iron, a simple solution would be to use a Y cable. They're short and will do the gender bending job.

#14 ·
I like that even more. This would allow you to power a phone in an emergency.

Would run times on most of the Gearbest 2x/3x/4x LED lights just be cut in half? Or might we see pretty comparable runtimes using quality high capacity cells?

#16 ·
I suspect hat the FT-30 Case would be much more expensive. For example it comes with the aluminum holster. While I do like a battery meter, I usually ride on packs that don't include one.

My concern would be if the USB port had the same parasitic drain it caused in the Solarstorm case. If implemented via the on/off switch for the battery meter lights, it would be a superior case, but price would be a deciding factor for me.

Don't get me wrong - I love the idea of our bike light packs serving double duty as a powerbank. MagicShine and Lupine have implemented them as dongles that plug into the regular end. I've even seen no-name third party ones that I'm less likey to trust. (Can't find a pic at the moment) A dongle does defeat "charge while riding, unless you use a Y cable.
Product Electronic device Cable Technology Circle

Magicshine MJ-6086 USB Adapter: $14.95 USD

Rectangle Mobile phone accessories Material property Number Everyday carry

Lupine USB One: $19.50 USD

Attachments

#17 ·
I'd agree that price and parasitic drain are important reason ditch a USB port on the pack.

Although it'd be great if Gearbest would give us the option of at least trying the USB equipped pack.

#18 ·
I'd agree that price and parasitic drain are important reason ditch a USB port on the pack.

Although it'd be great if Gearbest would give us the option of at least trying the USB equipped pack.
It's all about interest and sales. If they will sell a few of the packs, it's not worth the investment to order a lot. They have to deal with minimum orders so they can't just order a few.

I will ask. Please list which one your interested in and yes I know it depends on price. The more we order the cheaper they get, so which do you prefer. I prefer the simple pack without the meter. The old Magicshine pack turned me away from battery meters.

#29 ·
.. so I asked Dora and May to find out if they can get the Fenix BA4C 2 Cell Battery Case seperately...
You 'd better have asked them wether they know a correct designed 2-cell case for outdoor usage ;)

Fenix is violating all basic design rules, power source -> female connector!
Even at low voltage! Possibility of a short within a bagpag for example..

Btw..Archie's cable is for indoor use only.

#30 ·
Fenix is violating all basic design rules, power source -> female connector!
Not really: it's pretty common.

Even at low voltage! Possibility of a short within a bagpag for example..
Such connectors use insulating ring at the edge: it's quite difficult to accidentally short it. At least, MagicShine-style is more prone to shortage by, e.g., key or metal pencil's cap.

Btw..Archie's cable is for indoor use only.
I know, but it's better than nothing for those who don't like to resolder the cable. Many cheap lights are equipped with that type of connector anyway...:)

#31 ·
Many of us have been looking for a good 2 cell battery holder, so I asked Dora and May to find out if they can get the Fenix BA4C 2 Cell Battery Case seperately. May just told me they can if there is interest.

The only issue is the need to swap the existing connector with the correct connector since it has a male connector rather than a female. I doubt they will swap it for us.

is there interest in this case?
When you discuss this with Dora and May could you ask if they can order their amount with the correct connector. Or what the minimum would be.
This would have the added benefit for the manufacturer of not selling something a bigger customer considers part of their product line.
And it's better for us.

Technology Font Metal Parallel Rectangle

#32 ·
#33 ·
Hi, I am coming from BLF because the possibility of a group buy for this box. I would be definitively interested if a good price can be agreed. For me, this would be around 10-12 eur for the box and up to 14-15 if the standard connector is fitted AND the carrying pouch is included. Right now this box (the original fenix BA4C) can be bought in several sites in central Europe for around 12 Eur, so I don't see much advantage on a group buy unless a better deal is got. In addition, 2s1p pack with charging/protection circuit and good quality batteries and the right connector can be purchased for about 20-25 Eur, so the proce of an empty box without circuitry should be close to 10 Eur to fill it with your choice of branded 18650 and make the ends meet. Anyway, these are just my thoughts. Thanks to GJHS for exploring the possibilities and see you around!

#34 ·
Some quick pics of my Fenix case. Interestingly enough my box is labeled "Gift" (perhaps due to the way the user I got it from bought it from Fenix).

The black "felt like" covering in the top end does not want to come off. I would have to tear the %$#@ out of it to try and remove it. The board it is attached to does not budge either. There likely are screws underneath, but I didn't feel them (though I didn't search hard and had to grab the pics quick).

No telling how old my sample is. I received it approx. Feb. 2014.

One thing to be aware of is the very short cable! Pair this with a Yinding with adapter cable and you've only got like 18 inches of cable! (By the way, I just used this case with the adapter cable this morning to get my Yinding Tint pics.)

-Garry

#39 ·
The black "felt like" covering in the top end does not want to come off. I would have to tear the %$#@ out of it to try and remove it. The board it is attached to does not budge either. There likely are screws underneath, but I didn't feel them (though I didn't search hard and had to grab the pics quick).
-Garry
Definitely don't want to destroy that gasket as I think it would very hard to find replacement material.

If you look at the photo showing the placement of the 3 screws that are (I assume) behind that gasket you might be able to carefully poke a screwdriver thru and extract them and pull the board with the gasket still intact.

#43 ·
Well, let's summarize the questions we currently have for GearBest about this item:

1)- Retail price?
2)- Waterproofness?
3)- Mounting pouch included?
4)- Ability to be disassembled?
5)- Custom connector (MagicShine or SolarStorm) possible?

GJHS, please be our messenger here! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.