mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Felix ld20 for bike?

I'm thinking of getting one Felix ld20 flashlight with a mount for my bike. Anyone used this before or recommend something else? -Nathan

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Hi Nathan,

I'm not sure what your intended use is for, be it trail or road and whether you want to use it as a bar or a helmet light...

Fenix LD20s are fantastic flashlights. I have a pair of them (the non R5s). Not cheap but their build quality is apparent of this. Beam pattern is very focussed and intense, with next to no spill at all. 2 years ago I'd say they were exceptional. Based on what's available today technology wise especially considering their price point, there are more appropriate riding specific options out there. I used to run one on the bar and another on the helmet with mounting brackets purchased from Deal Extreme (DX) and have since moved on.

Fast forward to today, I'd say for US$79.95 (retail price for a single LD20) you might be better off looking at the Magicshines or Geminis. Both run the latest XML emitters and are available in different configurations The single XML models (cheaper) can also be retrofitted with after market lenses to attain a beam better suited for your intended usage. Granted they all have an external power supply unit which can be cumbersome and on the heavier side.

Without throwing down a wall of text for you to read, definitely take a look at some of the more popular light manufacturers' websites. The more specific your questions, chances are, the better the replies you'll get:

GEMINI: LED Bike Lights | Cycling and Mountain Biking Lights

DiNOTTE: DiNotte Lighting :: Ultimate Road Bicycle Lights

MAGICSHINE: Magicshine : GeoMan Gear, The best products, the best prices, & Lightnin Fast service!

BAJA DESIGNS: Bicycle

GLOWORM: Gloworm Performance Products - Gloworm Performance Products

And just a last note, when purchasing, try to use a reputable dealer who will stand behind their product and offer after sales support if needed and not simply some ebay listing. The few dollars you save by exercising the "buy it now option" may not be as great a deal you were led to believe.

Francois diligently undertook the arduous task of compiling the 2012 MTBR light review. I highly recommend giving it a once over if you are in the market for a new lighting setup:

2012 Bike Lights Shootout | Mountain Bike Review

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Chromagftw; 01-28-2012 at 10:46 PM.