mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Fandyfire F88 / DX version

Driven by a curiosity how small is this bike light and what amount of light it puts out I pulled one from the magicians hat to review it.

What you get is the light, battery pack, charger, 2 green o-rings and a headband. The light is made pretty well, anodization also fine, seems to be at least water resistant. I couldn't take the light apart, so have no shots of the inner electronics and thermal paths. I think the problematic part that caused this is the top button that disables the power wire to go in so that the front reflector is pushed out. Dimensions are: 4.6 cm x 2.6 cm. The light uses a small plastic holder - much smaller that the SS X2 has or the 3-clones.

The light is really small (64 grams). The button has a green and red (Low voltage) led indication. The modes are as advertised hi-med-lo-strobe-off cycle. The heat transfer is superb, in high mode it heats up really quickly while standing still but not as much as the SS X2. I measured the current from my testing 7.4V/8Ah battery I use and got the figure: 0.83A 0.26A 0.08A. The estimated power to the XML led on high is 5W (using 80% driver efficiency). Can't say much about the pack that came with the light - my estimate is that the cells are 1400mAh each (from the shots), of course the pack came in the classic black heatshrink tube. Anyway I'll update the pack capacity ASAP.

Tiny light for a night riding beginner and a commuter. Due to its wieght it can be used as a helmet light also. I made a shots of 3 modes aimed close and in the distance, especially to compare the low mode.

the beamshots pointed in front of the wheel:

the beamshots pointed in the distance:

mtbr member
    I like the looks of this one.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yes, like the weight of it especially so it doesn't bounce when riding using the plastic mount it comes with.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Update to the battery capacity: first full discharge @0.7A to 3V/cell ended with 2000mAh, so it is quite close to my estimate 1400mAh/cell.