mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Exposure Revo and hub for rigid mtb on rough bumpy trails?

Wanting to set up a revo light/hub combo, but after my cheapy ebay light stopped working recently I am concerned about the vibrations from a rough trail.

Light failure was not due to crashing or battery issue.....

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The driver boards in the cheapo Chinese lights typically have poorly soldered connections and poorly mounted components. Of the two dead ones I've fixed for friends on, vibration is what killed them. Hopefully the Exposure light will be a higher quality and better assembled.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

Did I catch a niner+?
    Please post up some pics when you have this set up, I am interested to see this system working. I am a fan of exposure and their products I do however not own any of their products (all Light and Motion).

If you have not bought the revo yet there is a deal going on for 30% off their lights on their webpage.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 View Post
    Please post up some pics when you have this set up, I am interested to see this system working. I am a fan of exposure and their products I do however not own any of their products (all Light and Motion).

If you have not bought the revo yet there is a deal going on for 30% off their lights on their webpage.
    I have a Revo and here are some points worth noting:

1. its standlight will keep the light on for a very long time, and cannot be turned off. If you have any situations where you need to go full stealth, you'll need to unplug the light and put it in your pack, or cast Invisibility at level 8 or higher.

2. at lower speeds, it puts out something like 400 lumens (according to their output graph). It hits full output up around 15mph (not sure which wheel size they used for testing, this is relevant because it affects the dynamo RPM). So for an average XC rider, you'll only see full output on the faster sections of your ride, not while picking through a rock garden.

3. beam pattern is an intermediate flood.

4. the light pulls enough power to actually produce a little noticeable drag at riding speeds. Like, unplug the cable from the head and I feel the bike roll slightly easier. Well, the power's got to come from somewhere...

For dynamos, I have two Shimano and one Shutter Precision. The most versatile one available today would be those Shutter Precisions that are natively a through-axle style and come with axle caps to convert down to conventional QR skewers if needed. Dynamos are super-reliable, with no additional moving parts compared to a regular hub, so you don't have much to worry about there.

Anyway, the value proposition of the dynamo is that you can't run out of runtime, and you don't have to pay any attention to managing your light output in order to save power for when it counts. So if 400-800 lumens with zero hassles and infinite runtime is better than 2000-3000 lumens for 1-3 hours with some management and planning, then dynamo may be your deal.