Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Exposure lights review

Just did a major review on the both the Joystick and the Maxx D from Exposure. Click the link to my blog for it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I love my Maxx D and Joystick system as well. Although I did have to use tape on my girlfriends handlebar on her street bike, so the mount would work, but this wasn't a problem. These lights don't weigh much and setup is so easy, thanks to no wires with a battery pack. I am actually glad they don't use a quick charger, because that would only make the internal battery life shorter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Great report Matt. I too have the same system but only a 1 cell on my Joystick but I am not as serious of a rider as you are. I agree about the carrying cases that it would be nice to have a cut out for the batteries and I was going to do the same thing you did so I can keep everything together. I haven't had a chance to use mine yet but sure look forward to it. I have to say that Steve and James are great to deal with and the customer service is fantastic. I'm going to hook mine up today and hopefully try it out on the weekend as I have to work the next 2 nights.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I'm really impressed with things to this point. I can't even imagine racing with the old halogan systems witha big 10 watts and an hour of burn time

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt 24 solo
    Just did a major review on the both the Joystick and the Maxx D from Exposure. Click the link to my blog for it.
    Dude...I just did a quick looksie over at your blog. Damn if I see anything about a review of the Joystick or the Maxx D. Sorry but I'm not about to read through your entire blog to find the review...one more note: ... You have ads on your blog for both Exposure and Ibex Sports ( which sells them ) and we're suppose to take your review ( wherever it is ) as being non-biased?
    **update** I did indeed find the review when I clicked the link at the end of the first page. Regardless, reviews need to be done by people who are spending their own coin and not stumping for the seller and/or manufacturers of the product...even "if" you have the best of intentions.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 05-02-2009 at 11:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    Dude...I just did a quick looksie over at your blog. Damn if I see anything about a review of the Joystick or the Maxx D. Sorry but I'm not about to read through your entire blog to find the review...one more note: ... You have ads on your blog for both Exposure and Ibex Sports ( which sells them ) and we're suppose to take your review ( wherever it is ) as being non-biased?
    **update** I did indeed find the review when I clicked the link at the end of the first page. Regardless, reviews need to be done by people who are spending their own coin and not stumping for the seller and/or manufacturers of the product...even "if" you have the best of intentions.

Sorry to have wasted your time Cat Man Do. Guess you can't keep everyone happy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks Matt for your review, after reading many reviews on the Exposure Range I decided to buy the joystick 09 and and see for myself what others are talking about. Its absolutely fantastic, I now understand why a helmet torch is so important. I have many torches that are equally as bright at much less cost than the joystick but this dedicated helmet torch with the attaching mount and 3 light levels etc etc is worth the extra cost.

I have a handlebar mounted cateye triple shot from a few years back upgraded with new brighter LEDs but am still thinking of buying the Exposure Maxx D, your review and many others that praise the light is helping with my decision, owning the joystick has shown me the quality of Exposure lights so now its all up to me, finding the spare cash is the only problem. Maybe in a few weeks time

Thanks for another Exposure review

mtbr member
    What is your association with Exposure? What do you get from them if anything?

There are a lot of Exposure reps 'selling' in this forum - just want to know your interests so I can gauge the balance of your review... Thanks, CA

By the way - I love my MaXx D - just wish it had a swap out battery so I don't have to race with an extra 200grams to get modest run time without buying a second or third unit...

mtbr member
    I am not a rep or salesman for them. I am a rider who got lucky and got some help from the guys. If you read my blog you would know that. I just ride a lot. As for the reps, I believe that you can only get the lights from on source in North America. And that is Ibex and I believe it is only James and Steve that run it.

As for my review of the lights, it was my opinion of them, some may like it some may not. I think they have designed an amazing system. This is coming from a guy that works in the trade service industry that is so far from the cycling world and I see good engineering and very bad engineering ideas.

So what do I get from, help and support for my 24 hour events and I appreciate everything they have done for me.

Hope that clears up your opinion.

m

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I don't have a blog, and I am not an Exposure rep. I also don't work for IBEX Sport's, the U.S. distributor.

I did my research about the Exposure lights and really wanted to try them but thought they were to expensive. So to save money, I bought 3 P7 flashlights from Dealextreme, with extra batteries. I mounted 2 lights to my handlebars and 1 to my helmet. Mounting and removing the lights was a pain. Having to change out batteries during a long ride was also annoying. It was at that point I spent the money on a Maxx D and Joystick system. I wish I had bought them from the start! They are very easy to mount and remove, the quick release mount is sweet. So now I want to ride at night more often because the setup is so quick. They stay charged for a very long time, up to 3 hours on the brightest setting. The Joystick helmet mount is fantastic and is very adjustable while riding. These lights don't weigh much and are compact. I really like that they have a way to tell how much juice the internal battery has left in them.

I have also used my lights around the house, we had a power outage and they certainly came in handy.

You have to spend a little more money for quality. It just makes sense that a bike light shouldn't have wires with an external battery pack. I don't regret my purchase one bit. I even bought another Maxx D for my girlfriend and am in the process of ordering another Joystick, for her. The folks at IBEX Sport's have been really good to me and are very customer oriented.

mtbr member
    I am not a rep or salesman for them. I am a rider who got lucky and got some help from the guys. If you read my blog you would know that.

Hope that clears up your opinion.

m
    Thanks Matt 24 solo - I think you have cleared up your basis for opinion. I don't come here to read blogs but do enjoy a good user review even if your sponsored in some way. After all this is MTBReview! As a fan also I thought that your clarification of this would help clear up any confusion as to your skin in the game.

I have a heap of lights and can say that my MaXx D is by far my favorite riding light so am with you on this - it could be perfect...

mtbr member
    I actually did all the research before I even tried with a sponsorship with Exposure. Like everyone else here I wan tto be using the best systems since I havce had things like a bad light almost take me out of a race. I found the Exposure's design above and beyond.

The fact that my support crew doesn't need to worry about charging batteries etc is awesome. I think the big thing was the cost of additional batteries. Most companies the batteries cost almost the came as the full system. Not in this case. No refianancing the house to have 12 hours of burn time per light. I have yet to really hear any complaints about the systems.

Nice bonus for me when it comes to testing is that a few friends are sposored by other light companies. Made it pretty obvious to show how good a system is when you see them running in really world situations.

mtbr member
    As for the reps, I believe that you can only get the lights from one source in North America. And that is Ibex and I believe it is only James and Steve that run it.
    Yup, Just us ( James and I) here guys, we are here for support in anyway we can offer it.

Thanks,
    Steve
    IBEX Sports
    Importer / Distributor for Exposure Lights, U.S.E. and VDO Cycle computers.

mtbr member
    I also noticed that matt has as a sponsor, Exposurelights. I don't have a problem with him doing a review. Most people just care that there is full disclosure so they can make their own decision.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Happy with light

I used my light for the first time on the weekend in a 24 hr solo race. Even though I am not a top rider which needs a light for the whole night it more the exceeded my expectations I have to say I am very impressed with the light set up. It wasn't the reviews that hooked me it was having less wires etc which turned me to this light and I decided that was what I wanted and that is why I bought it and I as an avergae rider am very happy with my choice. I will get another chance to try it out in a few weeks for a second opinion and this time I plan on doing longer night rides.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Very Satisfied

I also have no affiliation with Exposure or Ibex Sports (just gettting that out of the way). After researching lights for many weeks, I made the decision to go with a Joystick and Maxx D. This was my first light purchase as I am new to night riding and racing. I can honestly say that this was one purchase that the research paid off. These lights are amazing! The beam patterns make trail riding in rocky, technical terrain a breeze. This combo has my friends with NR's beat hands down in brightness, convenience(lack of cable). For longer rides, I use medium power for more battery life, and it still shines bright. I don't know what more anyone could want in a light system. BTW: Ibex sports service was 1st rate.

mtbr member
    Yep, the systems still continue to impress me every time I fire them up. I'll be running them through their paces in two weeks at the first 24 hour race of the season.

mtbr member
    I also am not sponsored by Exposure (funny the guy who started the tread has still not said he is sponsored or indeed how or by who he is sponsored - just keeps us guessing - even though this is a rule of MTBR - go figure).

Rather than pointing out the things I am happy with (and there is a lot to like), I think that sharing the things that bug me would be helpful for others considering buying in this tread. So I have these feelings after some months of use:

1. Wish it had a mode memory... That is you can't set it to start in a preferred mode and have to cycle if you don't like the default mode. I don't always want it to start in high. This is a feature found on even budget flashlights so a shame that for the price of the MaxX D you don't get this.

2. Value. Now that there are $80 Seoul P7 900 lumen light sets on offer I feel I have too much money sitting in my MaXx D. If these lights were on the market when I purchased my MaXx D I doubt I would own one right now. I hope that the MaXx D's quality proves its worth over time.

3. Size. It is a bulky unit and can't be used on my helmet. I know the next generation will be smaller (see 2 then).

4. Can't swap battery. I am still bugged by the fact that I can't change the battery. 3.5hours run time on high isn't enough for my Solo and pairs 24-hour races and adding the piggyback battery is just adding weight I don't need (and negates the best feature of the MaXx D - no cables). I am not sponsored and have lots of lights on hand. I could afford a couple of spare batteries.

I have had to use my old HID after the MaXx D's battery goes flat. I need 2 MaXx D's (I have ordered a budget P7 as backup - see 2.) Now see 5.

5. Battery charge to full is SO LONG. 15 hours. Surely there is a faster charge method than this. This annoys me most of all.

6. Allen key needed to fit the bracket. I swap my light from race bike to training/fun bikes and need to swap the bracket. Keep telling myself to buy another bracket (more $$$ to invest - see 2).

I'll finish by saying I love my MaXx D so as not to leave an impression this is just about the negatives.

No product, and indeed, no light is perfect. I can work around the issues I have noted and do.

I will order a spare bracket and backup budget 900 lumen light for the upcoming 24hour race (team of two).
    Last edited by Coldass; 06-12-2009 at 11:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldass
    3. Size. It is a bulky head unit and can't be used on my helmet. I know the next generation will be smaller (see 2 then).
    This isn't a fair point. The MaXx D was never designed to be a helmet light. Exposure has a dedicated helmet light called the Exposure Joystick, but this light can be mounted on the handlebars.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Resist
    This isn't a fair point. The MaXx D was never designed to be a helmet light. Exposure has a dedicated helmet light called the Exposure Joystick, but this light can be mounted on the handlebars.
    Joystick's output is too meager for the money. I want 500+ lumens plus on my bucket these days to get off the couch.

Anyway, its my opinion - who said it had to be fair? A downside to the MaXx D is that it can't go on my head - something to consider if you buy it over alternatives........................how's that not a fair point anyhow? IT IS.

I foresee a MaXx daddy 4x led light made of these that could go on my head:

DURHAM, N.C., AUGUST 6, 2008 — Cree, Inc. (Nasdaq: CREE), a market leader in LED lighting, announces a new standard for lighting-class LEDs with the introduction of the XLamp® XP-E and XP-C LEDs. These breakthrough LEDs have the smallest footprint in the industry for lighting-class LEDs—providing the same high-quality lighting performance and proven reliability as Cree XR-E and XR-C LEDs in an 80-percent smaller package.

The new XLamp LEDs, measuring just 3.45 mm square by 2 mm high, can enable new applications, including backlighting, signage, outdoor, indoor and portable lighting, thanks to their small size and low profile as well as a wide viewing angle and symmetrical package. Available bins for XLamp XP-E LEDs include minimums of 100 lumens at 350 mA in cool white (5000 K - 10000 K) and 80.6 lumens at 350 mA in warm white (2600 K - 3700 K).

“We recognized an unmet need for lighting-class performance in a small-footprint, low-profile LED package. These products, based on an innovative new technology platform, address this need,” said Paul Thieken, Cree marketing director for LED components. “This new platform, in concert with the existing XLamp products and the recently demonstrated XLamp MC-E LED, give LED lighting designers enhanced flexibility and performance to further accelerate the LED lighting revolution.”

The XLamp XP-E and XP-C LEDs are available to order with standard lead times.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I've had the Exposure Joystick for a few months now and in the last week added the MaXx-D for the perfect setup.

I actually bought the MaXx-D last month but sent it back because it had a problem with the Smart-Port-Socket. I bought the MaXx-D with the Remote Switch and the Remote Switch didn't activate the light. I tested the Remote Switch on the Joystick and it worked so I knew the problem was with the MaXx-D Smart-Port-Socket.

I got the MaXx-D back and it works like it should, I requested a new light and not for it to be repaired. One thing I don't like is the position of the Smart-Port-Socket, its on top of the back plate and blocks the view of the light indicator unless you twist the Remote Switch cable to the left. This was also the case with the first light I had. Also another problem is a white marker smudge behind the front lens, this to me shows the QC is lacking for a high end light like this.

The Exposure lights are built like a tank BUT need better QC and they should align the back plate so the Smart-Port-Socket is on the bottom.

I have no regrets buying both the MaXx-D and the Joystick, they complement each other and I know I will get many years use from the setup

Did I mention NO WIRES

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pothilato
    they should align the back plate so the Smart-Port-Socket is on the bottom.
    Don't get me going about this. As is was explained to me it is a matter of function over form in the manufacturing process.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldass
    Joystick's output is too meager for the money. I want 500+ lumens plus on my bucket these days to get off the couch.

Anyway, its my opinion - who said it had to be fair? A downside to the MaXx D is that it can't go on my head - something to consider if you buy it over alternatives........................how's that not a fair point anyhow?
    Granted yes it is your opinion but you're making a negative point about something the product was not designed to do. You might as well said you can't use it as a ball for a baseball game. Or like saying a sport's car doesn't work well on hilly dirt roads, when you are shopping for a 4 wheel vehicle.

If you must point out the products short comings, wouldn't it be better to do this in a application that it was designed for, instead of one that it is not?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Don't get me going about this. As is was explained to me it is a matter of function over form in the manufacturing process.
    No matter what Exposure said about the back plate, it should have been designed with the "smart port" on the bottom or the side of the rear plate. When you add a remote switch to the light the cable partially blocks the view of the light indicator, not good.

I don't care about the front lens having a white marker smudge behind the lens (on my MaXx-D) as it doesn't effect the light output, Exposure just needs better QC to eliminate little problems like this.
    The rear plate DOES bother me because it doesn't FUNCTION like Exposure said it would. They give you a "smart port" to add a rear light/battery or a remote switch BUT the cable blocks the view of the light indicator. The light indicator is a FUNCTION of the light and its blocked because of the placement of the "smart port" If the Smart port was on the bottom, once you plug in the cable you have full view of the light indicator in your riding position.

So even though Exposure say FUNCTION OVER FORM in the manufacturing process, they failed with FUNCTION

I'm still VERY happy with both the MaXx-D and Joystick and highly recommend them, If you plan to use the light without a remote switch then the placement of the "smart port" is no problem.

I think its good that people give their opinion on lights (good and bad) it makes it easier to decide what to buy.

Resist, your comments and others made me buy the Exposure lights and I thank you for your input

mtbr member
    If you must point out the products short comings, wouldn't it be better to do this in a application that it was designed for, instead of one that it is not?
    Resist - your missing the point. Almost all the alternatives can go on your head - for the money. It is a shortfall - BY DESIGN - none the less! (read lack of versatility or utility).

If I didn't buy a MaXx D I would have got say a Lupine Telsa. The Telsa can go on my helmet the MaXx D can't - certainly something to consider if you choose the MaXx D and this lack of versatility is a shortfall.

Now the MaXx D has advantages over the Telsa... But that is another discussion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast