mtbr member

Exposure joystick mount.

Just bought one of these mounts as i think its a neat mount for the lid.

Now im on the lookout for a decent torch that'll fit the mount......does anyone run the above mount and can recommend a decent torch from DX?

Thanks

Its got what plants crave
    Does Exposure's site list any dimensions? All of the torches on DX usually have dimensions listed, so maybe you could find one that's close. Either way, let me know, I'd like a mount that's a little more "elegant" than the rubber piece of junk I'm using currently.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    how about and exposure joystick that should fit

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hi there. Recent lurker, first time poster ...

I've been using one of these mounts with the Fenix TK21 (can't post a link, but simple to Google), and it works a treat! Very secure and a good range of motion. Very slightly restricted vertical adjustment due to the length of the flashlight, but that can be compensated for by playing with placement of the mount on your lid, and the torch in the mount.

Not a DX flashlight like you asked, but hope it helps re. dimensions of a non-Exposure light that works well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yikes, $30ish bucks for a mount?

Total cost for these two mounts is $4.45, and much more versatile (will fit more helmets, and a wider variety of torches).

Universal Nylon Mount for Flashlights and Lasers - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
    Universal Adjustable Bicycle Mount for Flashlights (2cm~4cm Diameter) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

As far as what torch to get, check out this thread. Although, I'd concentrate on more recent posts, as many of the early posts are outdated and discuss lights that have been replaced by newer/better ones.

Quote Originally Posted by fightnut View Post
    Yikes, $30ish bucks for a mount?

Total cost for these two mounts is $4.45, and much more versatile (will fit more helmets, and a wider variety of torches).

Universal Nylon Mount for Flashlights and Lasers - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
    Universal Adjustable Bicycle Mount for Flashlights (2cm~4cm Diameter) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

As far as what torch to get, check out this thread. Although, I'd concentrate on more recent posts, as many of the early posts are outdated and discuss lights that have been replaced by newer/better ones.

I've got the second mount you link to zip tied to my helmet. The range of adjustment sucks, but it works. The joystick mount makes these looks like crappy Chinese junk though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311 View Post
    I've got the second mount you link to zip tied to my helmet. The range of adjustment sucks, but it works. The joystick mount makes these looks like crappy Chinese junk though.
    First of all I'm not sure why you would have to "zip tie" one of those mounts, I think you're confused about how they work

Secondly, it's a piece of rubber with 2 velcro straps on it, not sure what part of that makes it "crappy CHINESE junk"

But hey, whatever you have to tell yourself in order to justify spending $30 on a plastic mount, lol!

mtbr member
    Has your joystick mount arrived yet? You might want to consider the jetbeam cycler it's designed for biking. And the new one puts out 450 or there abouts. More light than they exposure joystick and you have the option of carrying a spare battery giving you a total of 3 hours run time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    But come to think about by the time you buy the jetbeam and a charger and batteries, that's if you don't have them all ready. You might find it cheaper in the long run to buy the joystick. Have you found a light you like yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by spankone View Post
    Has your joystick mount arrived yet? You might want to consider the jetbeam cycler it's designed for biking.
    The only thing about it that makes it "designed for biking" is the ability to loosen the head to get hours of runtime, but at only 10 lumens. Maybe good as a "be seen" light for commuters.

Aside from that, it's just an $80 flashlight, nothing really special about it.

Many torches (flashlights) available with the XML in a small form like that one, for a 1/3 of the price.

mtbr member
    Ive received the mount now....Its a neat solution in my opinion.Ive got both the mounts posted above but theres no adjustment.The joystick allows you to angle the torch at any angle and quickly unmount it for any trail side repairs .etc

Im using this P7 torch and it fits fine even though i didn't think it would at the time of ordering the joystick mount which is why i made this thread.

UltraFire WF-501B SSC-P7 (BIN C) 5-Mode 800-Lumen LED Flashlight with Strap (1*18650) [E52055] : Electronic Gadgets, Home Gifts & Unusual Novelty Gifts - BestOfferBuy

I bought the P7 over a year ago now...Is there a better torch out there now for similar price or is this still classed as one of the best?

Thanks

First of all I'm not sure why you would have to "zip tie" one of those mounts, I think you're confused about how they work

Secondly, it's a piece of rubber with 2 velcro straps on it, not sure what part of that makes it "crappy CHINESE junk"

But hey, whatever you have to tell yourself in order to justify spending $30 on a plastic mount, lol!
    Because the velcro SUCKS at holding the bar mount to a handlebar or helmet, that's why. So I zip tied in on. I don't even own a 30 dollar plastic mount from Exposure, but I'd pay it to have the ball joint adjustability in all directions and a secure mount. Can you not see the difference in adjustability here? One is way more secure, mounts without any sort of tools, and can rotate in all directions for the perfect position. The other.. well.. uses crappy velcro which moves around and has NO adjustability really.

Quote Originally Posted by J273 View Post
    Ive received the mount now....Its a neat solution in my opinion.Ive got both the mounts posted above but theres no adjustment.The joystick allows you to angle the torch at any angle and quickly unmount it for any trail side repairs .etc

Im using this P7 torch and it fits fine even though i didn't think it would at the time of ordering the joystick mount which is why i made this thread.

UltraFire WF-501B SSC-P7 (BIN C) 5-Mode 800-Lumen LED Flashlight with Strap (1*18650) [E52055] : Electronic Gadgets, Home Gifts & Unusual Novelty Gifts - BestOfferBuy

I bought the P7 over a year ago now...Is there a better torch out there now for similar price or is this still classed as one of the best?

Thanks
    IMO the new XML torches are a lot bettter than the P7s. I have both, and the XML is in a league of it's own in terms of brightness and run time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311 View Post
    IMO the new XML torches are a lot bettter than the P7s. I have both, and the XML is in a league of it's own in terms of brightness and run time.
    Do you have a link to an XML Jim on DX?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

You get a roll of duck tape for the price of the chinese mount, similarly elegant, even more efficient in function.

You could even hold the light in one of your hands for free. Beat that for a price :-)

...actually the Exposure helmet mount is by far the best helmet mount I've ever used. I got it for free, because they put it in the box next to the light I purchased :-P

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by spankone View Post
    how about and exposure joystick that should fit
    Haha! I was thinking exactly the same thing. Went on a night ride last night. ...OOOPS! I have the Diablo. Anyway, that light is awesome.
    I like turtles

Quote Originally Posted by J273 View Post
    Do you have a link to an XML Jim on DX?

Thanks
    I think this is the one I have.

UltraFire WF-501B XM-LT6 5-Mode 510-Lumen Memory White LED Flashlight with Strap (1*18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme