mtbr member
    Apr 2011

? for Exposure Joysick Users

In my search for a cord free helmet light I'm considering a Joystick. Does anyone run one of these on the helmet with something similar in power to a MS900 on the bar? I'm considering this over the Diablo for a few reasons....a little cheaper, a little lighter, and I would only run the Diablo on medium anyway due to the 1hour runtime on high. The Joystick I think is 325lumens, with the Diablo somewhere close on medium I think. Although I read somewhere that the Diablo on medium was 33Lux and the Joystick on high was 17lux.....its a little confusing to me.

I live in the midwest so I don't have high speed downhills.....I tried to ride with just the MS900 on the bars but I like to be able to look around and see around turns. Any feedback would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewave View Post
    In my search for a cord free helmet light I'm considering a Joystick. Does anyone run one of these on the helmet with something similar in power to a MS900 on the bar? I'm considering this over the Diablo for a few reasons....a little cheaper, a little lighter, and I would only run the Diablo on medium anyway due to the 1hour runtime on high. The Joystick I think is 325lumens, with the Diablo somewhere close on medium I think. Although I read somewhere that the Diablo on medium was 33Lux and the Joystick on high was 17lux.....its a little confusing to me.

I live in the midwest so I don't have high speed downhills.....I tried to ride with just the MS900 on the bars but I like to be able to look around and see around turns. Any feedback would be appreciated.
    I use an Enduro Maxx on bar set to medium and a Joystick set to high; works great; low helmet weight as you say. Midwest riding. Plus is that Joystick is a very light and bright pocket flashlight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks BH...how long does your joystick last on High? Is it close to the advertised 3hours? Does the light mount work as well as it looks to work?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewave View Post
    Thanks BH...how long does your joystick last on High? Is it close to the advertised 3hours? Does the light mount work as well as it looks to work?
    Not sure...I've never used my Joystick up on any average 3 hour ride due to switching it off and on/using in combination with the bar light (Enduro Maxx has wide spread). Never had either go down; inclined to trust the listed times. The Joystick helmet mount is terrific; no problems, with a ball and socket to dial it in. IIRC, Joystick comes with your choice of an ancillary mount included: handlebar or headband. I might try xc skiing with the headband this year.

turtles make me hot
    I ride with a Diablo on my helmet and a Toro on my bars. I run the Diablo on medium because on high, it reflects off moisture in the air and whites out. I usually do 2-3 hour night rides and neither light complains.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I purchased the Joystick for my early morning road rides and have since given it up in favor of a Lupine Piko because I didn't feel like it threw out enough light. Even for the road. So while I've never used the Joystick on the dirt I'd recommend you save your pennies and go with a brighter light like the Diablo.

www.bigrobracing.co.uk
    I have both a joystick and a Diablo. I'd choose based on preferred beam pattern. The Joystick is more of a tighter spot, the Diablo is a much broader beam. The available battery power is similar and the three hr settings give not dramatically different amounts of light, the beam pattern is more noticable.

The battery does last 3hrs on the 3hr setting, in fact I've fun mine flat a few times and it's always exceeded the stated life, except when the temperature was below -5C for the full ride (when all batteries would suffer)!

For road rides the extra penetration of the spot is probably my preference so I'd go with a Joystick, for MTB twisty singletrack, a Diablo. The minimal weight difference is perceptible in a "put it on your head and shake about" test, but in real life, out on the trail, they're both light enough not to bother about. I and my friends use either for 24hr racing without issue.

Hope that helps!

Rob
    Rob

mtbr member
    get the Diablo, way way way better than the Joystick which i also own. the diablo on medium is brighter than the joystick on high so you can still get the joystick runtime but with brighter light...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The Diablo with the piggy back battery will double your run time on high. You can piggy back it directly to the Diablo or attach it to the back of the helmet. Either way this battery is very small/light and I would be surprised if you could actually feel the difference having it up there.

Diablo all the way IMHO. Very slick setup/light

Other options but not self contained are the Lupine Piko 750 lumen or the new Gemini Xera 800 lumen (which I bought). Both very small and light. Very happy with my new Xera.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b