mtbr member
    Oct 2009

everything i have is 3-5 years old. is it worth it to upgrade yet?

Holy cow these last few years flew by! Got to thinking that even though some of my lights are still being made, the emitters aren't the newest anymore. Heres what i have
    2012 Gloworm X2 (xml u2 or t6. Not sure)
    2011 gemini olympia (t6)
    2011 magicshine 872 (unsure. Some type of q5?)
    2011 gemini titan (t6)
    2010 magicshine 808 (ssc p7)
    2010 magicshine 1400 (p7+ q5s?)

Which made me wonder- i don't use a ton of light nowadays, used to keep the olympia and another one on at the same time on the bars and x2 on helmet but lately i run a single titan xml on the bars and x2 on helmet. Would it be smart to upgrade? Its mainly efficiency that i could use as i do long rides and the less battery i have to lug around the better. If the current xm l2 run time would be almost equal with a 4 cell to say, my t6 olympia on 6 cell, then it would be worth it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manbeer View Post
    Holy cow these last few years flew by! Got to thinking that even though some of my lights are still being made, the emitters aren't the newest anymore. Heres what i have
    2011 gemini olympia (t6)
    2011 gemini titan (t6)

Which made me wonder- i don't use a ton of light nowadays, used to keep the olympia and another one on at the same time on the bars and x2 on helmet but lately i run a single titan xml on the bars and x2 on helmet. Would it be smart to upgrade? Its mainly efficiency that i could use as i do long rides and the less battery i have to lug around the better. If the current xm l2 run time would be almost equal with a 4 cell to say, my t6 olympia on 6 cell, then it would be worth it
    Well, if you are using a Gloworm X2 (v2) and a Gemini Olympia ( with the same emitters ) on the bars, having enough light isn't going to be an issue. "Efficiency", that is another issue. The newer version of the X2 ( version 3 ) not only has the more efficient/brighter XM-L2 emitters but has an upgraded UI ( user-interface ) that allows the user to set the output of each mode ( if desired ). This would give you the option of using less power with a more efficient emitter. I do believe the Gemini's are also upgraded to XM-L2 as well. ( Gemini's have always had programmable menus ).

Since you seem to favor using the X2 I highly recommend the newer X2 (v3.1). Brighter and more efficient. Program the modes to your desired brightness ( efficiency ) levels and I have no doubt, "You will not be disappointed".

Since your current set-ups are more than a couple years old another option would be to just upgrade the batteries. Using a battery that uses the newer Panasonic (3400mAh) cells would give you longer run times. If you are using three year old batteries ( and like longer rides over three hours ) it is time for newer batteries. Most of my rides usually are within 2-3hrs so my older batteries are still useful. That said I have one newer 6000mAh battery that is powering my X2(v3). When I do longer rides that is the one I use. Otherwise I also use an XM-L2 torch on the helmet. For that I use only my newest Panasonic single 18650 cells.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by manbeer View Post
    2011 gemini olympia (t6)
    2011 gemini titan (t6)

If your looking for more efficiency out of your lights you might try putting your Olympia back on and setting the brightness to approximate that of the displaced Titan. My understanding is that all emitters are more efficient at lower power levels (one emitter at full power uses more power than three @ 33%). Gemini and ActionLEDLights publish runtimes at the ten different power settings for Gemini lights and while runtimes have changed little if any for the Olympia with each emitter upgrade, power usage efficiency goes up considerably as you move down the light level settings. I've never done runtimes at lower settings but my max power runtimes match the published figures so I believe all the figures are fairly accurate. If you just want more power use efficiency, on paper using your most powerfull light at a lower setting should provide the most return at no cost. Adding a new light with the newest emitters will be even better at the cost of a new light.
    Mole