mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Dynamo kit for front + rear + USB + small battery

I'm trying to understand the current products available and/or required for a basic lighting and charging setup. Basically I need to get together the list of things to budget for & buy so that I don't go halfway and realize I need to buy more or could have / should have bought something different to do what I need.

What I need is:
    Headlight
    Taillight on the same circuit
    USB charging for mobile device
    Some kind of small battery or capacitor to keep the lights on for the occasional stop, ie red light.

Looking to use entry level Shimano hub, or comparable. The bike is a Surly Ogre set up for heavy touring & commuting.

The question on my mind is what is included where? Ie does just about every light have a small backup battery? Some seem to. I've seen one that has a USB port. I haven't had a great deal of luck finding a tail light. I've seen a battery pack but am not sure if this connects to the Dynamo directly, or if it needs something else, or if it powers only USB and not bike lights.

So what I need is a basic list of the things I need to include, popular upgrades, etc.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    You probably should drop Kerry at klite.com.au an email, he can put together a good system for you.

kLite.com.au Dynamo Lighting Systems

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BATRG3 View Post
    I'm trying to understand the current products available and/or required for a basic lighting and charging setup. Basically I need to get together the list of things to budget for & buy so that I don't go halfway and realize I need to buy more or could have / should have bought something different to do what I need.

What I need is:
    Headlight
    Taillight on the same circuit
    USB charging for mobile device
    Some kind of small battery or capacitor to keep the lights on for the occasional stop, ie red light.

Looking to use entry level Shimano hub, or comparable. The bike is a Surly Ogre set up for heavy touring & commuting.

The question on my mind is what is included where? Ie does just about every light have a small backup battery? Some seem to. I've seen one that has a USB port. I haven't had a great deal of luck finding a tail light. I've seen a battery pack but am not sure if this connects to the Dynamo directly, or if it needs something else, or if it powers only USB and not bike lights.

So what I need is a basic list of the things I need to include, popular upgrades, etc.

Thanks!
    I too have considered such a set-up. Although I don't own one myself probably the best place to get user info on the subject is over on the Bike forums website ( see > Electronics, Lighting & gadgets )
    Do a search on their website for "Dynamo" and should find some good discussion threads / web links.

Since you want a USB charger that will limit your options ( if you want an included USB system ) . I believe B&M makes a lamp with an included USB charger although there are some aftermarket USB / dynamo converters sold made to work with other set-ups.

I'm not sure how well the aftermarket USB dynamo chargers work. Reviews on some have been hit or miss.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Ok, so far the Hermans front and tail lights are looking good. I had originally thought of using a planet bike version, but the Hermans seem to be designed to better link the front and tail light.

The PD-8X hub is a bit pricey compared to the Shimano, and I am not aware of any way the Shimano falls short of my needs.

This site has been helpful:
    BikeConsole

Not completely sure yet of the whole kit, but making some progress.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Main claim for SP dynamos is increased efficiency. PD-8X is designed for 15mm thru axles, AFAIK shimano does not make a hub for a thru axle. Of course if your frame uses 9mm quick release axles, you don't need the PD-8X - you will find the PD-8 (no X) is significantly cheaper, around US$130 or so.

For your lights, look for ones that have an integrated standlight.

For USB charging, a couple of options are the B&M eworks & Sinewave Cycles Revolution USB charger. Either way, be aware that you can run lights OR a USB charger, not both at the same time - short story is that at normal riding speeds you will only produce around 3W. A hub dynamo can produce more, but only at higher speeds. You don't want your lights going on and off and most devices don't like USB charging going on & off.

The way bikepackers etc deal with it is charge during the day (device & or extra batteries) and run lights at night

mtbr member
    The B&M luxos front light has integrated USB charging port, and had a battery for running the light when stopped and running the high beam. But $$$.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by find_bruce View Post
    Main claim for SP dynamos is increased efficiency. PD-8X is designed for 15mm thru axles, AFAIK shimano does not make a hub for a thru axle. Of course if your frame uses 9mm quick release axles, you don't need the PD-8X - you will find the PD-8 (no X) is significantly cheaper, around US$130 or so.

For your lights, look for ones that have an integrated standlight.

For USB charging, a couple of options are the B&M eworks & Sinewave Cycles Revolution USB charger. Either way, be aware that you can run lights OR a USB charger, not both at the same time - short story is that at normal riding speeds you will only produce around 3W. A hub dynamo can produce more, but only at higher speeds. You don't want your lights going on and off and most devices don't like USB charging going on & off.

The way bikepackers etc deal with it is charge during the day (device & or extra batteries) and run lights at night
    +1 on what "find_bruce" said ^^

+1 on what Znomit said; The B&M Luxos was what I was thinking of but just couldn't remember the model. Looks to have the bells and whistles the OP wanted. The only thing I didn't like about it was the actual size of the lamp head. Pretty big as Dynamo lamp heads go.

Old Fart at Play
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit View Post
    The B&M luxos front light has integrated USB charging port, and had a battery for running the light when stopped and running the high beam. But $$$.
    Only the Luxos U has the USB charging port. The Luxos B does not.

Busch & Muller dynamo bicycle lights
    "... displays the social skills of a barrel cactus." - TNC

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    These guys have some products that might line up with your needs:

cinq5

mtbr member
    6 months ago I purchased a dynamo hub, light, usb setup. I got an SP hub and built a stans wheel around it. I went through PeterWhite to order a B&M Luxos U. The installation was easy. I've used the light for several months now on training rides on my Fargo.

The light is super bright. It is probably a better trail light than a road light because it blinds/annoys on coming cars even on the low setting. Having said that, it doesn't look super solidly constructed. It is perfectly fine for road and gravel riding, but I am not sure how well it will hold up to the regular mtn bike type of crashes. I have mine mounted on my steel fargo fork. With a suspension fork, you may have to go with a bar mount which probably exposes the light a bit more to falls and stuff.

The usb charger works fine. But it is USB or light, you can't do both at the same time. On really long rides, I will charge the GPS during the day and then use it to power the light at night.

It is expensive! The light was nearly $300 alone. Figure another $180 for the hub + whatever cost you need to finish a wheel.

iphilrive
    I currently am setting up my ECR with the same thing that you are interested in I purchased the Supernova e3 triple light because it looks more solid!

As far as a tail light I just got the Supernova e3 Tail light 2 the seat post one I was a little bummed because I was going to mount it on my rack mount and they send it with a 2.5mm allen so I'm going to modify it to work where I want it to!

The USB port that I got is also from Supernova its called The Plug III I like the look of it and I'm hoping it will charge well!

Supernova lights from Peter White Cycles <--they are on closeout!

I'll post up some pictures when I finish!

mtbr member
    There is a stand alone usb charging system with a cache battery. It's called the E-werk from B&M, that would be how I would set it up.

I have a SP PD-8X on my bike with a Edelux II with a Schmidt tail light. I just put my old SP PD-8 on my wife's bike, she has a B&M Cyo r and B&M toplight tail.

I like the B&M Luxos with USB, but I have read about some failures and my LBS where I get my hubs, has had some failures. I don't think it has a cache battery.

There is another light with a USB out from AXA IIRC. My LBS sells them as well, but the online reviews on it aren't great.

All of the German compliant lighting will have capacitors to run stand lights that are already built into the lights. Some are better than others.
    Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!