Thread: Dynamo Hub ...

xJZ
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Dynamo Hub ...

I've seen to many possibility's the last weeks..
    I want to buy a Fargo at the end of the year. I also want to build a dynamo hub on it, so I can produce my own energy.

I was first thinking of getting a Exposure Revo light with the Plug II. But this is pretty expensive :|

I don't have a light yet so I wan't to buy this also. The dynamo hub should power my Garmin Edge 800 and my light.

I know that Mike Hall used exactly this set-up, but does my Edge 800 survive with only the dynamo hub? Or do I still need a power socket after a while?

Help is greatly appreciated!

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods

Dynamo Hub ...

I did the Grenzstein Trophy this year with a Shimano dynamo (will be replaced soon with a Supernova hub) to go with my Supernova E3 Triple. I used the Plug II to power my Garmin 705, iPhone 5 and more.

xJZ
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Coups you providr your iPhone and edge with energy for like 3weeks?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Kerry at k-lite (ktronic on this forum) is doing some interesting things with dynamos, lights & usb charging see https://www.facebook.com/kLite.com.au

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Speed View Post
    I did the Grenzstein Trophy this year with a Shimano dynamo (will be replaced soon with a Supernova hub) to go with my Supernova E3 Triple. I used the Plug II to power my Garmin 705, iPhone 5 and more.
    If you haven't got the Supernova hub yet, I recommend the sp dynamo, Supernova dynamo hubs are essentially rebadged sp.

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbubbles View Post
    If you haven't got the Supernova hub yet, I recommend the sp dynamo, Supernova dynamo hubs are essentially rebadged sp.
    Never heard of SP but our team is sponsored by Supernova. In any case, I'll check 'em out. Thanks for the tip (sounds a bit like the 5+ different hubs like WTB/Am. Classic, etc.).

xJZ
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by find_bruce View Post
    Kerry at k-lite (ktronic on this forum) is doing some interesting things with dynamos, lights & usb charging see https://www.facebook.com/kLite.com.au
    Does he only do private orders? And does he make full sets; dynamo & usb? Can't really seem to find that..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Speed View Post
    Never heard of SP but our team is sponsored by Supernova. In any case, I'll check 'em out. Thanks for the tip (sounds a bit like the 5+ different hubs like WTB/Am. Classic, etc.).

SP are the makers of the re-branded supernova hub, they are the same hubs, and for the money are just great when you compare it to a SON hub, they are the best, but SP/supernova is very close to its quality, and actually more efficient when running, and so far have proven to have no issues, Ollie Whalley TD winner, has given the SP / kLite system a good workout for me, and its all held up well.

mtbr member
    So the bike packing system I get asked for the most is:

kLite 850lm LED light w standlite (same as revo, as revo is a direct electronic circuit copy of the kLite system)

The AA battery pack is charged from the dynamo, the AA pack has USB outputs on it, and these charge the USB stuff. the battery pack runs the helmet light, and you can take the AAs out to run in your Etrex 20/30. if you get stuck and can't move/charge then you can put store bought AA battery in the holder to run the USB chargers.

why do we do it this way:

I work at a bike shop...I go for long rides...my mates started having problems, with directly connected USB chargers blowing, and killing GPS systems...so far my mates have killed all of the direct connect USB chargers they have tried.

For our use, if the GPS don't work, its game over when off road backpacking through the bush.

So we run etrex rather then edge 800, so we can run AA' batterys in them, and not have to charge the GPS on the go directly from the hub, via USB...also we can put store bought AA in it as well if we get stuck... you can then charge other USB stuff when you sleep, via the charged battery pack via USB.

The Standlite in the light is back up if you helmet light goes down, or not the charge to run. its runs the light when you stop or slow, great for the hike a bike sections...

I have had the bikepacker dudes tell me what they want and how they want it to work...then test if for 1000's of kms...then report, make better, and so on...well its kinda stopped changing...I guess its a simple system that just works, and avoids the issues with direct connect USB systems.

this is just how it all turned out, after testing for so long...its pretty full proof for all the stuff that could go wrong, and drop you in the sh*t.

its lighter than a battery system, given you replace the hub, and frees you from carrying way too many batterys, to keep you going for a long trip...

soon to come is new website / online shop, and High power (1644lm on paper @18.5km/h) dynamo powered light w dual heads and 6 LEDs, both tilt adjustable all in the micro format... here is what's been going out at the moment...

Dynamo Hub ...-img_1426.jpgDynamo Hub ...-img_1406.jpgName:  IMG_1405.JPG
Views: 565
Size:  222.5 KB

hope that helps,

Kerry

kLite.com.au

xJZ
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ktronik View Post
    So the bike packing system I get asked for the most is:

kLite 850lm LED light w standlite (same as revo, as revo is a direct electronic circuit copy of the kLite system)

The AA battery pack is charged from the dynamo, the AA pack has USB outputs on it, and these charge the USB stuff. the battery pack runs the helmet light, and you can take the AAs out to run in your Etrex 20/30. if you get stuck and can't move/charge then you can put store bought AA battery in the holder to run the USB chargers.

why do we do it this way:

I work at a bike shop...I go for long rides...my mates started having problems, with directly connected USB chargers blowing, and killing GPS systems...so far my mates have killed all of the direct connect USB chargers they have tried.

For our use, if the GPS don't work, its game over when off road backpacking through the bush.

So we run etrex rather then edge 800, so we can run AA' batterys in them, and not have to charge the GPS on the go directly from the hub, via USB...also we can put store bought AA in it as well if we get stuck... you can then charge other USB stuff when you sleep, via the charged battery pack via USB.

The Standlite in the light is back up if you helmet light goes down, or not the charge to run. its runs the light when you stop or slow, great for the hike a bike sections...

I have had the bikepacker dudes tell me what they want and how they want it to work...then test if for 1000's of kms...then report, make better, and so on...well its kinda stopped changing...I guess its a simple system that just works, and avoids the issues with direct connect USB systems.

this is just how it all turned out, after testing for so long...its pretty full proof for all the stuff that could go wrong, and drop you in the sh*t.

its lighter than a battery system, given you replace the hub, and frees you from carrying way too many batterys, to keep you going for a long trip...

soon to come is new website / online shop, and High power (1644lm on paper @18.5km/h) dynamo powered light w dual heads and 6 LEDs, both tilt adjustable all in the micro format... here is what's been going out at the moment...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1426.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	207.1 KB 
ID:	831748Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1406.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	461.4 KB 
ID:	831749Name:  IMG_1405.JPG
Views: 565
Size:  222.5 KB

hope that helps,

Kerry

kLite.com.au
    Looking forward to your website/onlineshop.
    Well my Edge 800 is like only 2 months old, so you understand I can't really spend more money on another gps.
    Isn't there a posibility that I charge a batterypack with the hub, and connecting this to the edge? Or like a converter that makes it enjoyable for the edge 800?

mtbr member
    sure you can, but I get a little nervous when you run them at the same time, so I set mine up so you, charge battery pack in day, run lights at night, you could charge your edge 800 via USB from the now charged battery pack, while you use your hub for the lights...

mtbr member
    May 2012

How do you charge/ run the Etrex?

Klite, you say you prefer to use the Etrex with your system. I didn't quite get what your normal modus operandi looks like. According to your facebook drawings the dynamo runs your front light at night, while the Etrex USB cord is plugged into the AA pack (looks like 6x AA, right?). This would run the Etrex but would not charge the batteries inside the Etrex via USB (another 2x AA, right?) . So how do you run the Etrex at daytime, while you wanna charge the AA pack? Above you mentioned that you don't wanna have anything plugged into the AA pack while charging it. At some point the AA inside the Etrex will be empty. You take them out and replace them with fresh ones out of the AA pack? Won't that generate any problem inside the AA pack with batteries charged at different levels?

Moreover, how exactly do you run the Etrex AND the helmet light with your AA pack at night (like you mentioned above)?

Thanks, cheers from Germany.
    Last edited by klausontour; 09-30-2013 at 01:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Hey Klaus,

I never set out to make dynamo lights, I am a bike mechanic...that offered to help, some long distance riders with stuff...

So really the first system was made for them, and they run ETREX 20/30' with 25hr runtime. at first they just charged a 4AA battery pack...and run lights w standlite at night....I can assume they every so often they took 2 batts out of the pack, for the GPS, and put 2 into with the charged batterys... the fresh batterys would try to charge the drained batterys, they would balance themselves, as they charged. a very cheap $2 way of doing things, that worked, and still works.

then we changed the system a bit for guys with edge 800's...so we charge GPS via USB in the night (driven from AA pack), when not charging the batterys, charge batterys in the day, and when sleeping charge a USB battery from batt pack to run helmet light.

different way of doing it:

you could run 2x 4AA pack, charge one, and use one...so you would have 2 sets of charged batterys for your GPS, before you charged them again...

its just a cheap way of doing it that you can build yourself, and is pretty simple so little can go wrong, so far my mates have done some pretty big rides, with no dramas...

I have been running the 1.6v NI-ZN rechargables in my 4AA pack to give, same spec as a alk AA if you were to have to run them in there...

you could also charge the etrex via USB , as you do with the edge 800, your main batts would last longer if you keep it running via USB...

hope this helps...Kerry

Quote Originally Posted by klausontour View Post
    Klite, you say you prefer to use the Etrex with your system. I didn't quite get what your normal modus operandi looks like. According to your facebook drawings the dynamo runs your front light at night, while the Etrex USB cord is plugged into the AA pack (looks like 6x AA, right?). This would run the Etrex but would not charge the batteries inside the Etrex via USB (another 2x AA, right?) . So how do you run the Etrex at daytime, while you wanna charge the AA pack? Above you mentioned that you don't wanna have anything plugged into the AA pack while charging it. At some point the AA inside the Etrex will be empty. You take them out and replace them with fresh ones out of the AA pack? Won't that generate any problem inside the AA pack with batteries charged at different levels?

Moreover, how exactly do you run the Etrex AND the helmet light with your AA pack at night (like you mentioned above)?

Thanks, cheers from Germany.