mtbr member
    Nov 2010

DX SF-15 quick question

I ordered one a month ago finally came in from DX. when i got the light yesterday it seemed to have bright/low/ flash/SOS right out of the box on uncharged batteries. charged batteries and now I have bright/low and when i cycle through the other modes it flashes briefly then goes off, no flash or sos mode. i don't care but concerned that after only one day and really like 10 button pushes 2 modes are gone. should i be concerned? it is going to be my bar light to compliment my MS900.

is there a way to take the button apart off the tailcap, would I gain anything if i did?

thought I saw somehwere that people had similar issues with the tailcap button in the past but couldn't find what thread it was buried in.

thanks

Shawn

mtbr member
    There seems to be some issues with the SF-15. Two or three people have reported the same problem. I would suggest taking the end cap off and tightening the metal O-ring inside the the end cap. You will notice it has two little holes. Use a pair of tweezers or bend a paper clip and slip it into the holes. Turn clock-wise to tighten ( or loosen a little and then re-tighten ). If your lucky this will fix the problem. I do not suggest taking the front of the torch off. I did this to mine and almost F'd it up. Oddly, D/X is now offering a new version of the SF-15 under the Ultrafire brand. Looks the same only a different brand name. Anyway, let me know if this helps. ( Note: it did help one person )

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks. Tried that w/o luck. Took button out cleaned it and reassembled. No luck.
    If it keeps working I could care less about other modes.

Cheap replacement switch I could buy if it does fail?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    You can test it to see if the tail cap is the problem. With the tail cap off press the end of a piece of wire against the bottom of the battery. Then short the other end of the wire to the side of the light on the threads. Quick "untouches" should cycle through the modes. If this produces the same results, the tail cap is good.

Edit - Here's a link to the cpf troubleshooting guide....

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...(budget-lights)

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Check the "What Dealextreme torches do you like" thread, page 5. Reply #214 or 216 is the start and then it runs about 20 replies.

There is speculation that a slightly discharged battery will not exhibit the no-high-mode behavior.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Ok the wire test gave the same response so not the switch I guess.
    Why then did it work with an uncharged battery? Coincidence?
    Upon arrival I pulled everything out and put it together and while the max beam was not full bright everything else worked fine. Nothing changed exept full charge on batteries.

I did take the driver/led out. It was very loose so I just unscrewed and cleaned it.

Just saw the cpf link I'll look at it

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrion
    Check the "What Dealextreme torches do you like" thread, page 5. Reply #214 or 216 is the start and then it runs about 20 replies.

There is speculation that a slightly discharged battery will not exhibit the no-high-mode behavior.

I have high/low mode but not the other two. I don't care unless it is a sign of problems to come.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Looks like I'll let it run a few minutes and see if the discharge helps them

Also appears I was mistaken. Mine is missing high beam. Good grief this is bright. Still running on med hoping for return of modes.
    Last edited by thomasshawn; 12-15-2010 at 09:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    GOOD GOD! This is bright. After an hour on medium a got 5 secs oh high before it turned off. Wow.

So next question is this a battery issue? Light? Not reasonable to blow an hour of run time to get high beam.

I'm your density
    I have the same behavior on 2 lights I just received from DX (MTE SF-15 SSC P7-D and Ultrafire WF-501B MC-E). These are both 5-mode, and the modes that work with fully charged batteries are Med & Low.

To be clear, both torches worked through all 5 modes with the batteries straight out of the shipping envelope, but reduced to the 2 modes when those cells were fully charged.

Last night I put in different 18650 cells that were fully charged a week ago, and only used for a 1-min test ride up the street in a pack I built for my Magicshine 1400. Both torches work through all 5 modes with these batteries. Unfortunately I didn't take any voltage or current readings, so I don't know how much they discharged over that time. Maybe I'll do something more scientific later this week (since it's going to rain and I can't ride anyway )

Here are 2 threads over in CPF that may be helpful:
    [yrl="http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?237810-*High*-mode-on-my-2-mode-MTE-P7-not-working"]*High*-mode-on-my-2-mode-MTE-P7-not-working[/url]
    LED-Troubleshooting-guide-(budget-lights)

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The mte sf-15 I received about a month ago works fine with these fully charged batteries - trustfire 2400, angelfire 3000, and some 1.6ah panasoncs from a laptop.

They may use different drivers, depending on what's available. Or maybe I've been lucky with bat seclection. Who knows.....

Don't know how much of a hassle it is to return it to dx. If you decide to return it, I would consider one of those kiadomain xm-l's after seeing these beamshots at cpf.
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...mini-with-xm-l

I'm your density
    The batteries I used are protected Ultrafires (2400 and 2600 mAh).

Tonight will be my first time using them for any extended period of time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'm using the red protected ultrafires 2600mA .

on CPF one of the guys resoldered all the connections in the led assembly in the head and all the issues went away.

most have not been as lucky. I'm not sure I am that brave as I have a working light but I would like the high beam really over all else. intermittent use today just to run it (probably 1.5hrs total and finally have a high beam that stays on more than 10 secs. very frustrating.
    someone suggested some current limiting part of the direct drive system might have a bad connecttion thus the reason high only runs with depleted batteries. not sure what voltage I am currently sitting on this battery but I'd love to know if anyone has resoldered their light with any benefit?

not sure I really want to RMA something to DX reports are basically 2-3 weeks each way.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Sorry dbl post

I'm your density
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasshawn
    I'm using the red protected ultrafires 2600mA .

on CPF one of the guys resoldered all the connections in the led assembly in the head and all the issues went away.

most have not been as lucky. I'm not sure I am that brave as I have a working light but I would like the high beam really over all else. intermittent use today just to run it (probably 1.5hrs total and finally have a high beam that stays on more than 10 secs. very frustrating.
    someone suggested some current limiting part of the direct drive system might have a bad connecttion thus the reason high only runs with depleted batteries. not sure what voltage I am currently sitting on this battery but I'd love to know if anyone has resoldered their light with any benefit?

not sure I really want to RMA something to DX reports are basically 2-3 weeks each way.
    I also have the red 2600 Ultrafires, plus grey 2400 UFs. Similar symptoms with each.

I will see how much run time I get with my "slightly" depleted batteries before I go CSI on my torch with a soldering iron But I plan to do some more controlled voltage and current measurements after that first test ride tonight.

mtbr member
    To me is sounds like these are being made with either bad drivers or the drivers are being damaged during the soldering procedure. If you can't get it to work right I'd not waste too much time in returning it. Since D/X has changed the brand name on the new version of the SF-15 maybe the insides have changed as well. We won't know for sure until someone gets one of the ones marked "Ultrafire". Sadly I don't think I can recommend the SF-15 again, at least the ones sold by D/X. Kaidomain sells them too, as yet I haven't heard of problems with theirs but only time will tell. Nevertheless, KD sells other P-7 D-bin 5-mode torches that just may be better than the SF-15. Sadly, I hate thinking that all this is a roll of the dice.

In the mean time the rest of us will cross our fingers and sit and wait for our XM-L's to arrive.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    OK. I just got home and threw a voltmeter across my batteries.

#1. Works perfectly now. it is the battery that I have been playing with all day (1.5+hours of intermittent use) . all modes work and the high beam stays on w/o issue.

voltage 3.79

#2 fully charged yesterday and not touched since. high/strobe/sos all don't work -they also all use the HIGH beam to operate.
    voltage 4.29

so these protected cells are being overcharged and that is causing the issue? shouldn't the light be able to handle the extra voltage? I guess 0.5 volts over is too much

so the question is how do we charge these batteries just to 3.7 and not over?

i"m using the ultrafire charger from DX as well sku 1251 Charger
    Last edited by thomasshawn; 12-15-2010 at 02:56 PM.