Thread: Duo/Xera combo

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Duo/Xera combo

Anyone running this combo? I just ordered it from Action LED. Wondering how well they work together with the Duo on the bar and Xera on the hat. Jim from Action LED said heís been getting good feedback on the set, as well as, the Gloworm X1/X2 combo. I didnít realize that there is a discount code on mtbr or I would have probably gone with the X1/X2 instead.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have the Xera and Olympia. They are awesome. I think if anything I would like to see the newer xml-2 versions (which aren't out yet), but that's the deal with LED lights. The next one is always right around the corner.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    The Olympia looks very nice, bright and big! You're using it on the bars right? Unfortunately, I was pushing my budget a little just getting into the Duo/Xera. Hopefully It'll do a good job for me. Thanks...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hey Trophy,, I have the Duo/Xera set up last years model. You wont be disappointed as one complements the other. Beam delivery is smooth and pretty bright. Measured output of the combo is right in the 1800 OTF lumens. I love the optics as they give a smooth delivery of all those lumens without a hotspot. Can only guess the new version is all of that but brighter. Cheers!!

mtbr member
    I just placed an order for an Olympia and Duo through Action and can't wait to see that combo in action . Jim at Action is awesome to deal with. Grade A customer service.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Good deal indebt. I assume your have the Duo on the bars right?
    Gharddog, Olympia is going to be sweet!
    Jim answers the phone and offers his time. That's a huge positive with me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    Yes, I can't wait to go on a ride with this set-up. I have been doing hours of research and decided to go with this set-up. I know Gemini is shipping out with the updated leds but I couldn't resist Jim's prices on the previous versions. I don't need the latest and greatest since a new model will be released every year.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I know Gemini is shipping out with the updated leds but I couldn't resist Jim's prices on the previous versions. I don't need the latest and greatest since a new model will be released every year.
    Agreed, but had I'd known the new versions were actually available for only 7 bucks more or that the GW's had a discount code putting them at the same price, I'd have more lumens in the mail!

Regardless, I'll be a nice combo for sure.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The Olympia looks very nice, bright and big! You're using it on the bars right? Unfortunately, I was pushing my budget a little just getting into the Duo/Xera. Hopefully It'll do a good job for me. Thanks...
    I am using the Olympia on the bars and the Xera on the helmet. I think the Duo on the bars will be really nice as well. I also prefer the optics smooth pattern as opposed to a reflectors ringed pattern with a bright hot spot. Even though you missed out on the xml-2 it's not a big deal as the xml-3 is probably coming out soon, and the difference is not going to keep you from having a good time night riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I also prefer the optics smooth pattern as opposed to a reflectors ringed pattern with a bright hot spot.
    Don't recall seeing anything about the the different patterns (ringed vs smooth). Are you talking about the different lenses that are included in the xera?

Anyways, thanks for sharing the info!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Don't recall seeing anything about the the different patterns (ringed vs smooth). Are you talking about the different lenses that are included in the xera?

Anyways, thanks for sharing the info!
    I was talking about the difference between optics and reflectors in general. The Duo and Xera come with optics. The Xera has 2 optics (wide and narrow) and a reflector, it comes with the wide optic which is what I use.

Optics tend to have a smooth beam with a cutoff where reflectors have a (sometimes) small hot spot with lots of ambient light that dims down the farther away from the center making a ringed pattern. Reflectors are a little more efficient and create more light but optics put the light where it's needed. It's a matter of preference.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

... and if we just ...

Yes,,, Duo on the bars, Xera on the lid. My wife's set up as I use the Lupine Betty-R's.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post
    Yes,,, Duo on the bars, Xera on the lid. My wife's set up as I use the Lupine Betty-R's.
    Do you have any night shots with your set-up? Are you running more than 1 Betty?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharddog03 View Post
    Do you have any night shots with your set-up? Are you running more than 1 Betty?
    I'm running one on the bars and one on the lid. I'm the dumbest computer tech on this forum so cant show any photos as I haven't figured it out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post
    I'm running one on the bars and one on the lid. I'm the dumbest computer tech on this forum so cant show any photos as I haven't figured it out.
    That's sounds like an awesome set up