mtbr member

Dug out all my bike lights

I was dug out all my older lights and lined them all up next to my newer ones. The first serious bike light was a Cygolite dual beam halogen system which had a 20 watt spot next to a 10 watt flood which I bought around 1992 I believe. A while after I added a 15 watt halogen Vistalite which I didn't care for much. Then several years later I bought a NR Cyclone HID light and then added another NR HID light head only, and ran them together on a splitter. Years later I bought a Lupine Wilma and shortly after a Lupine Betty, both LED lights. Now I have just received a Gloworm X2 LED light. Funny to see them lined up together and remember using them all. Makes me feel kind of old actually. Just thought I would share a couple pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dug out all my bike lights-4small.jpg  

Dug out all my bike lights-5small.jpg  

Dug out all my bike lights-2small.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Great pics. What do you plan to do with the older lights?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cue003 View Post
    Great pics. What do you plan to do with the older lights?

Thanks cue003. I pretty much keep just keep them forever lol. I forgot to put my magicshine in the bunch. It is mounted on my friends bike and I forgot about it until now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Cool collection. I had the vista's back in the day as well. The front plastic cover liked to pop off all the time. I ended up hacking them and over volting to 7.4 volts.
    Wished I still had them so I could ride a lap and reminisce.
    Then again that was on a fully rigid chromalloy, 21 speed, canti brakes, with boat anchors for rims and tires.
    No wonder I never out ran the beam on the vista lights.

LightJunction.com
    That's a lot of lights. Looks like you've been in the game for quite a while. It's amazing how far technology has come in just a few short years.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

mtbr member
    I thought my Cygolite from ~1992 was old, then my friend decided to bring out this light. He thinks it might have bought it in 1978 or so. He never even used it though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dug out all my bike lights-1old.jpg  

Dug out all my bike lights-2old.jpg  

Dug out all my bike lights-3old.jpg  

mtbr member
    I ran a set of Vistas as well in the mid-90s, raced 24 hours of Canaan twice and did a ton of night riding with them. Good lights, never failed me. Very yellow light compared to the new Magicshines I just received. The batteries were big and heavy compared to today's modern Li-Ion packs.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusHQ View Post
    I thought my Cygolite from ~1992 was old, then my friend decided to bring out this light. He thinks it might have bought it in 1978 or so. He never even used it though.
    Hook it up for a comparo test.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cue003 View Post
    Hook it up for a comparo test.
    I think we are gonna hook it up to his old bike this spring just for fun. Will definitely post pictures if we do. I'D like to try to rebuild the cygolite battery as that was one of my favorites and I know it still works b/c I put the charger on the battery pack and it did light up for a few minutes. Would be sweet to run some old school lights once in a while.

As far as the Vistalites, I had some issues with them such as the mount breaking and the battery packs died way to soon.

Lightjunction, yes technology is amazing and changes so fast. A lot of technology keeps us from doing more outside like computers and tablets and HD tv and such, but the great thing about technolgy in lights is we get to use it enjoying the outdoors and doing what we love to do riding bikes and get in longer rides. My Golden retriever reminds me when it is time to put down the gadgets and go outside to play ball.