Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by androgen View Post
    okay ...

the unboxing video is up:

i haven't actually tried the light yet because the battery is still charging ... the tiny AC adapter gets very hot !
    Very nice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharddog03 View Post
    Very nice.
    thanks. i just tried the light in my room - no surprises - it performs as i expected based on my research. i compared it side by side with Philips SafeRide - they put out approximately equal lumens.

but SafeRide puts more lumens closer to the cutoff whereas Dosun puts more lumens towards the center of the beam, rather than next to the cutoff.

the dosun color temperature is cooler than philips, and it has some green hue in parts of the pattern whereas the philips has soft white all around. the Dosun appears to have more artifacts up close than the SafeRide, but it also has more light overall up close.

this is just based on testing it in my room. i have a cold now, so i don't know when i will be able to test it on the bike. i would need to actually ride with it to be able to make a more meaningful comparison with the SafeRide.

so far though it seems they are both equally bright, but SafeRide beam is better shaped and, has less artifacts and much more even color. on the other hand the Dosun lighthead weighs 1/3 as much and battery has 2X the run time ( in theory ).

build quality is equally good on both lights i would say.

the remote switch appears to work well.

the cable plug doesn't seem to be very good. i have serious doubts about its water resistance. it doesn't disconnect with any kind of pneumatic pop that good plugs like Dinotte or Light & Motion have. instead it is sort of mushy - kinda like a NiteRider plug. the effort to connect and disconnect the plug is reasonable - not too much or too little.

mtbr member
    thanks. i just tried the light in my room - no surprises - it performs as i expected based on my research. i compared it side by side with Philips SafeRide - they put out approximately equal lumens.

but SafeRide puts more lumens closer to the cutoff whereas Dosun puts more lumens towards the center of the beam, rather than next to the cutoff.

the dosun color temperature is cooler than philips, and it has some green hue in parts of the pattern whereas the philips has soft white all around. the Dosun appears to have more artifacts up close than the SafeRide, but it also has more light overall up close.

this is just based on testing it in my room. i have a cold now, so i don't know when i will be able to test it on the bike. i would need to actually ride with it to be able to make a more meaningful comparison with the SafeRide.

so far though it seems they are both equally bright, but SafeRide beam is better shaped and, has less artifacts and much more even color. on the other hand the Dosun lighthead weighs 1/3 as much and battery has 2X the run time ( in theory ).

build quality is equally good on both lights i would say.
    Thank you for the review.

mtbr member
    OK it is overcharging the battery. The manual said when charged the light will switch from red to green but it never did. While charging the AC adapter was very hot, and full charge according to manual is 6 hours - i waited at least that long and tried the AC adapter and it was cold. I then tested the AC adapter and it was still putting out voltage, and the light on battery was still red. In other words it charged the battery to full, but the charger didn't cut off.

I then tested the voltage on the battery and while i don't trust the accuracy of my cheap digital multimeter it tested 0.28V higher than a freshly charged Dinotte battery. my tester read 8.55V on Dosun versus 8.27V on Dinotte however as i said it may not be accurate. the same tester read 4.18V on a freshly charged orbtronic 18650 which was charged by NiteCore charger a few days ago, it also read 1.4V on freshly charged eneloop charged by a Powerex charger.

so the voltage is on the high side, but the biggest giveaway to me that it overcharges is that the AC adapter went cold, in other words the output current dropped, but yet the light on the battery charger circuit remained red - never switched to green. and it was plugged in for a long time - i didn't note the time but i'm pretty sure it was more than 6 hours.

i think at some point down the line when this battery fails i will need to modify this light to accept magicshine batteries. thankfully 2 cell batteries are very common. the AC adapter read 9.3V by the way, but it does not directly connect to battery - it goes through the charging circuit in the battery housing as my unboxing video explains.

i used this cheap multimeter ( i believe it was $6 from Amazon, and i got like 3 of them ):

for the time being i will probably just use a combination of timer and multimeter to judge when to finish charging the battery. or i may simply feel the AC adapter and when it goes cold unplug it.

mtbr member
    i tested the beam in the hallway and it definitely puts more light in the first 2 - 3 meters than SafeRide by a large margin. it lights up the front wheel pretty bright as well. it pretty much covers straight from the front wheel - there isn't any gap to speak of in its coverage. i couldn't test the throw in the hallway - i know it will be less than SafeRide but the bigger question is whether there will be "enough" of it.

not going to ride with both lights because the Philips will probably obstruct the Dosun beam, but just to give you a size reference:

the mount is much more flimsy than the Philips mount, but also it only needs to support 1/3 the weight. i used all the rubber spacers but one on my thin bar. the opening in the mount itself seems wider than on the Philips - i think it should be able to handle any oversize diameter bar.

mtbr member
    crap ! what a ripoff ! i was looking forward to ordering a second D400 but i just went outside to test it and i have already achieved perfection. getting a 2nd one would only make it worse. the two Seca 1700 on the helmet can barely keep up with one as it is.

to test the assumption that indeed a 2nd one would make it worse i put both Seca on half power, and then tested the Dosun on full power and half power and i had best results with Dosun on half power.

why ?

because the Seca lights the far-field and Dosun lights the nearfield and it is when you combine then in a certain ratio when you get even lighting from near to far field. and that ratio is when both Seca 1700 on helmet and a single Dosun D400 on bar are on high, or when all 3 lights are on medium, but if Secas are on medium and Dosun is on High it overpowers them and the near-field is brighter than far field, which is no good.

on the other hand with Secas alone the near field is too dark. if the Seca was on the bar the near field would be bright enough, but when it is on helmet the near field is too dark. but the Dosun fills up the near field perfectly.

Dosun by itself is excellent for riding at lower speed. It is very bright and quite even, and the beam is just wide enough but not too wide. What it does lack however is throw, so don't expect to be doing 30 mph with the Dosun by itself. the Dosun should be perfect for 10 mph or so by itself, or for any speed combined with a spot helmet light.

i'm going to dress a little warmer and test it at a bit higher speed. i only tested them at about 10 mph so far to avoid freezing myself with the wind.

but it's pretty much already obvious - the Dosun will replace the SafeRide on my bike. i will either sell the SafeRide or keep it as backup in case Dosun fails. i will also NOT be getting a second Dosun ( which was my original plan ) simply because one does everything i need from it - it is both bright and wide enough by itself.

combined with the Secas on helmet the Dosun simply looks a lot better than SafeRide. the SafeRide didn't fill in the nearfield the way Dosun does, and in the far-field the SafeRide was too "pointy" and i could see myself doing slight adjustments with the front wheel as i ride because the narrow beam would shift left and right. the Dosun beam is 3 times as wide in the far field ( but less bright ) so as i turn the front wheel it isn't as distracting as with Philips. the Dosun simply works much better with the helmet mounted Secas than Philips does.

am i saying Dosun is better than SafeRide ? no i'm not saying that. it's just better FOR ME.

of course i will eventually do a video of some sort on this once i figure out what kind of video i want to do.

also what's incredible the dosun DOES NOT EVEN GET WARM running on high ! the SafeRide used to get hot ! the Dosun has the same output as the SafeRide but it barely rises above room temperature running continuously on high and i wansn't even going more than 10 mph. this seems to suggest that Dosun is more efficient. i was wondering how can they get 5.5 hour claimed run time on high which is almost 3 times the run time of SafeRide when it only has about 80% more watt-hours in the battery. but considering how cool it runs i think it is very possible that the run time is indeed 5.5 hours.

also i didn't have the mount fully tightened but there was no hint of chatter or sag, whereas the saferide bounces all over the place and sags constantly even when fully tightened.

i will most likely sell the SafeRide on Amazon ... if anybody is interested let me know i will link you to the posting once it's for sale.

mtbr member
    i was really missing that brightness straight from the front wheel that i used to have with NiteRider Pro 3600 and with the D400 i now again have it. my setup finally feels as bright as it did when i ran the NiteRider Pro 3600.

the Secas are powerful but when helmet mounted primarily provide throw, not near-field brightness. 3600 helmet Seca lumens simply never felt as bright as 3600 NR Pro bar lumens did, but now with the Dosun filling in the near-field it finally feels just as bright.

i had NiteRider Pro 3600 bar mounted and it provided both throw and near field. I'm sure the Seca would also provide both if it was mounted on the bar, but then it would blind everybody just as NiteRider did. the point of helmet mounting is i can turn my head and take the beam out of a driver's face if i'm blinding him.

Now i finally have a setup ( if Dosun doesn't crap out ) where i again have that kind of front wheel to 30 meters away brightness that i had with NiteRider Pro but i can get 95% of the light out of a driver's eyes simply by turning my head, whereas the NR Pro 3600 simply blinded everybody.

the SafeRide by comparison doesn't really have the near-field brightness that Dosun has - not even close. the SafeRide pretty much throws almost the same as the Seca on the helmet which makes it sort of redundnat. the SafeRide would probably be a better stand-alone light than Dosun, but the Dosun makes a better complimentary bar light to a good helmet light.

mtbr member
    ok i just did a short ~15 minute ride about 15-20 mph and i stand by my verdict. this is a great little bar light to compliment a powerful helmet light. with 3600 lumens on the helmet toggling this ~300 lumen light on and off makes a BIG difference in brightness ! it doubles the near-field brightness in fact, and it's effect is still noticeable over the Secas up to about 10 meters. beyond 10 meters it is all Seca.

subjectively it just FEELS a lot more sunny with this light than without it, even though in terms of lumens it only adds 10% to my setup. with only Seca on the helmet the pavement is well lit where i point the Seca, but with the Seca and Dosun it is well lit from the front wheel to where i point the Seca. so with Seca alone it feels like i am riding through a TUNNEL of light, but with Seca + Dosun it feels more like i have a personal UFO following overhead and it lights the whole area around me instead of just a tunnel ahead of me.

the only time i actually noticed the green hue was when i came through an area with some stench from garbage bags and my brain associated the green color with the stench and i noticed the green hue at that moment, but as soon as i was out in the fresh air it just looked like light.

i wouldn't use this as your only light unless you ride very slow, because it does tend to put most of the light close up. but for a slow commuter this would be a great light all by itself without any helmet help.

i wouldn't use it on a trail because it does have a fairly pronounced cutoff which would be distracting if you couldn't level with with the horizon as you can on a road.

oh, and when i was riding at 15-20 mph the D400 stayed ice cold altogether.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    with 3600 lumens on the helmet toggling this ~300 lumen light on and off makes a BIG difference in brightness !
    I'm sure physics will tell something completely else, but subjectivity is everyone's own privilege!
    But if androgen is happy with his new light, then I am also. I admit something I envy sometimes is his enthusiasm he is able to develop.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHnuschti View Post
    I'm sure physics will tell something completely else, but subjectivity is everyone's own privilege!
    lumens don't measure how bright something looks - they measure light output. lux is the measure of brightness and it strongly depends on distance. because Dosun puts more of its lumens up close it looks brighter than the Lumens suggest. seca projects lumens further so it looks dimmer, despite having a lot of lumens.

trust me - i have it all figured out

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    You're using two Secas on the road? On high? In the city?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    You're using two Secas on the road? On high? In the city?
    yes, and i recently picked up an extra 6 cell battery and an extra 1.5 amp charger so i can run them on high 100% of the time.

it's nice. seeing and being seen.

i need to do a video again. i didn't want to do a video on just adding a 2nd seca because that wasn't enough of a change IMO to warrant a new video, but now that i swapped SafeRide for Dosun i have legitimate reason to do it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Androgen, can you post a shot of your helmet with the 2 se as mounted? I want to see how "large" they appear. Also a pic if you get a chance of the do sun next to the seca head for a size comparo will be helpful as well.

Thanks and thumbs up for finding a combo that works for you.

Did you ever try a seca on the bars, angled down a little to reduce blinding and seca on helmet? I don't recall seeing any talk about that.... You only mentioned having them both on helmet and speculated (it seemed above) on the beam pattern in the above post..

And at ~300 lumens, that is the dosun max output? Have you done any runtime tests on it yet? Runtime on high was what?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cue003 View Post
    Androgen, can you post a shot of your helmet with the 2 se as mounted? I want to see how "large" they appear.
    i already did this here:

helmety experiment !

Also a pic if you get a chance of the do sun next to the seca head for a size comparo will be helpful as well.
    sure, find those pics in the next post ...

Did you ever try a seca on the bars, angled down a little to reduce blinding and seca on helmet?
    no i never tried seca on the bar. i see no point in that. but member canuck_tacoma right here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/member.php?u=548118

uses a Seca 1500 on his bar. ( with a Stella 500 on helmet ). maybe you can ask him.

I don't recall seeing any talk about that.... You only mentioned having them both on helmet and speculated (it seemed above) on the beam pattern in the above post..
    it wasn't speculation. when i first received the Seca i tested it by holding it in my hand - neither helmet nor bar mounted - and i tried it at various heights this way. when i held it at bar height it provided even illumination everywhere, but when i raised it to helmet height the area immediately in front of me got darker and only the area where the light was pointed to was bright.

And at ~300 lumens, that is the dosun max output? Have you done any runtime tests on it yet? Runtime on high was what?
    no, i probably won't do any tests - too lazy. it's rated at 400 lumens, but i compared it side by side with SafeRide both lights aimed directly at a white wall and the total output seems identical. i have heard figures of 320 and 425 lumens for the SafeRide but if we want to be conservative let's say 300 and Dosun is the same so also 300. that's how i arrived at 300 figure, but the manufacturer rating is 400 lumnes for D400 and 600 lumens for D600.

manufacturer rated run time is 5.5 hours on high, 9 hours on medium and 16.5 hours on low.

based on physical size of battery and the cold operation of the light i don't doubt that run time is good when battery is fresh. the real concern IMO is how quickly will the battery be destroyed by the improperly calibrated charger that overcharges and doesn't shut off.

the english website has the info:

DOSUn SOLAR TECHNOLOGY CO.,LTD

mtbr member
    Also a pic if you get a chance of the do sun next to the seca head for a size comparo will be helpful as well.
    sorry for the blurry pics, hard to hold helmet in one hand and phone in the other. i held the lights equidistant from the camera for a fair size comparison.

by the way i don't think it is a coincidence that they look similar despite being totally different. Dosun makes another light that looks like Light & Motion Stella but is actually a tail light. i think Dosun "borrows" ideas from Light & Motion - this was actually a factor in my decision to get one. because most Chinese lights copy Lupine, so it is nice to see a company finally copy Light & Motion

and of course with the USB slot for charging iPhones on the side they copied Busch & Muller. considering that L&M and B&M are my two favorite companies i was really excited that Dosun copies both of them, instead of copying Lupine like everybody else, because as you probably know i don't think Lupine is all that.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the pics and the link to the other thread.

mtbr member
    battery mount is poorly designed. there is nothing actually holding the battery to the strap - in other words the strap doesn't go through a groove in the battery, it simply wraps around. this frankly is unacceptable because for example my top tube is thicker in the front than back so as the battery moves the strap loosens and then it can fall out completely because nothing is actually holding it.

i almost lost the battery on the ride today - when i got home i noticed that the battery was barely hanging in place.

by comparison a dinotte battery for example will not fall off even if the strap is very loose.

from now on i will try to pay more attention to battery mounting mechanism when researching lights ...

so that's 3 faults i found so far with the Dosun:

1 - the charger doesn't shut off, overcharges battery

2 - the battery mounting system is completely unreliable

3 - the cable plug quality is questionable

so Dosun is obviously no Light & Motion. we'll see how long the battery lasts with that crappy charger. my other light from a questionable company - the rear spoke lights - just failed today through the exact same mechanism - improper battery charging ...

so far the Dosun is a mixed bag. i like the beam, the small sexy light head, the remote switch and overall build and finish quality. but i think the product is not ready for prime time despite being a 2nd generation of a light introduced in 2009 ! ! ! maybe they will get it right by 3rd generation, but by then Busch & Muller will have a version most likely.

i will be keeping my eye on Busch & Muller. i hope they release a light in a configuration similar to this Dosun, but with a good charger, battery mount and plug. although B&M is not perfect either.

eh ...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

PSR Gen2 vs Gen1

Hi HakanC,

Do you see any changes in the Gen 2 light compared to Gen 1. I read somewhere that the color has been changed from "Crystal White" to a warmer shade (I would like this). Any change in beam pattern? Any other differences? You've already mentioned Gen 2 does not have the annoying timer forcing you to low mode after 70mins.

Thanks,

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NiteBiker View Post
    Hi HakanC,

Do you see any changes in the Gen 2 light compared to Gen 1. I read somewhere that the color has been changed from "Crystal White" to a warmer shade (I would like this).
    Thats true, the LEDs are warmer shade in the Gen 2 light

Any change in beam pattern?
    Not AFAIK.
    If there is, they are small.

Any other differences? You've already mentioned Gen 2 does not have the annoying timer forcing you to low mode after 70mins.
    The battery status LEDs are changed from three blue, with annoying intensity, to a glowing ring around the button that changes from gren to orange to red.

Thats about it.

One more thing, the batteries are now 2600mAh,
    but I did a IEC-test of them and the quality are not very high.
    Three batteries were OK @2600 mAh (plus/minus 50 mAh)
    But one was only 2450mAh!

/Håkan
    SWEDEN

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HakanC View Post
    The battery status LEDs are changed from three blue, with annoying intensity, to a glowing ring around the button that changes from gren to orange to red.
    screw Philips. that was my favorite feature of the light - the three blue indicators - almost makes you feel like you own Lupine

they just can't do anything right. poor chaps.

by the way the Dosun also has that MagicShine style battery indicator. i rode for 3 hours and it was still blue at the end of the ride. i have lowered the output a few times to make my light look less expensive than it is in a few parts of the ride, but i would say it was probably on high for 2.5 hours. the Philips would have surely been dead by the end of the ride at that rate. my Philips actually went dead before i even rode it for the first time, just from testing it - i was shocked, because i charged it. the Philips is terrible junk - it's a 300 lumen light that gets as hot as an average 1000 lumen light in operation. the Philips is basically strictly for commuting - useless for training - simply doesn't have the battery life ( unless you modify it ).

if any of you wants to give me $100 for the Philips i will put it up on Amazon. mine is 1st gen, silver color. can only ship within continental US though.

mtbr member
    here is a video i made that ( among other lights ) demonstrates the Dosun D400.

the Dosun is at:

by itself: 1 min 35 sec
    with helmet lights: 20 min 54 sec
    with all other lights: 26 min 00 sec

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Hi androgen - first thanks for all your interesting postings
    Question - are you still running the Dosun D400 light - if yes, are you happy with the light? I consider buying either the D600 or the Roxim M6. // Peter, Denmark

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy-DK View Post
    Hi androgen - first thanks for all your interesting postings
    Question - are you still running the Dosun D400 light - if yes, are you happy with the light? I consider buying either the D600 or the Roxim M6. // Peter, Denmark
    yes i am still using it. i have several issues with it:

1 - it has developed a problem where if you don't charge it for a while the battery runs down to empty. this doesn't happen with any of my other lights, which are all from 1st world country companies ( i don't own any Chinese lights ). however after re-charging it works again.

so i charge it right before riding, and is the only light for which i do so - all other lights i can just pick up a battery that was charged a month ago and use it, but with Dosun it has to be charged recently. i think this may be because the battery has charger electronics integrated into it which probably drain it overtime.

2 - at first i thought the charger is broken because it wouldn't show green light at the end of charge even after the AC adapter went cold ( stopped charging ) however i later realized that if you leave it on the charger long enough eventually the light will go green - but this happens after about 12 hours of charging ! ! ! the AC adapter is hot for the first few hours then it goes cold but apparently it continues to trickle charge for a couple more hours.

3 - the port for the AC adapter has a rubber flap which is so hard to close that i given up and ride without closing it. this is obviously not good if you get hit by rain. you CAN close it but it's just very hard.

4 - the mount is not very good - it sags overtime so you have to readjust it from time to time and it is hard to turn the knob by hand.

so this light is definitely not top level in terms of design but it does work and it has good output and useful beam pattern. the light head itself is very well made - 5 stars. the mount is so-so - 3 stars. the battery / charger i give 2 stars - it has the capacity to run the light for a long time, but it takes a long time to charge and drains by itself in storage.

fortunately as this is a regular 7 volt system you should be able to replace the battery with something of your own choice.

would i recommend this light ? i would neither recommend for or against it. it is neither a good nor bad light.

myself - i would not buy it again but that's just because in USA i can legally run a light without beam cutoff so i can use on the road the lights that in Germany people can only use off-road. i will not buy another STVZO style light again regardless of brand or technology used. regular off-road lights are cheaper and more effective if you can legally use them.

before the Dosun i used Philips SafeRide ( which i still own ) and i prefer the Dosun to the Philips, but i prefer non-STVZO lights like Lupine or Light & Motion to both of them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3