Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 71
  1. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by CHnuschti View Post
    The Philips Activeride seems indeed a promising light. However, for my taste its presentation is a bit too "colorful".
    Read this (your own thread!), the real test seems not to keep up with the "commercials": New Philps light
    Please note:
    I will never buy an ActiveRide light myself, I am more then satisfied with my modified 80 Lux Philips-light.
    With an LFlex and a 7,4V LiION-external battery and 1A through the LEDs I get >120 Lux (verified by my Lux-meter) out of it.


    /Håkan
    SWEDEN

  2. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by androgen View Post
    i love how these forums work. nobody ever answers until you buy something then everybody comes in and says you bought the wrong product. it worked like that last year as well.
    I will chose to ignore that and instead comment on
    Quote Originally Posted by androgen View Post
    the Philips beam is so precisely shaped that the only time it works properly is when you aim it. 1 minute later it already is misaligned. i re-adjust mine 20-30 times per ride ... on paved road.
    Which type of holder do You use with Your Philips SafeRide?

    The Gen1 holder
    Name:  1471700_1.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  6.2 KB

    or the Gen2 holder
    Name:  1914348_1.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  5.0 KB

    The reason I ask is that soo many people apparently have been dissapointed in the Gen2-holder that Philips is sending a Gen1-holder to those who complain to them about the Gen2-holder.
    This is published on Amazon by Philips
    Dosun D600 ( metal body STVZO light with external lithium battery )-81qipldmhol._sl1500_.jpg
    In English: call 0080074454775 to get a free Gen1-holder

    And I know fore sure that the big european mail order bike store Rose now includes the Gen1-holder for free with every Philips 80 Lux light:
    Philips front light LED BikeLight SafeRide 80 offers at the cycling shop Rose Bikes UK
    I ordered the Philips 80 Lux light myself a couple of weeks ago when they sold it for 50 € (as that day special offer) and in the box was two holders, one Gen1 and one Gen2.


    /Håkan
    SWEDEN

  3. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,646
    Quote Originally Posted by androgen View Post
    ...but a shaped beam only makes sense on a shaped path, that is to say a road. a Seca has a beam that is about half the width of NR and better shaped, and two Secas have the same output as a NR and about the same system weight and cost. the saferide beam is half the width of seca, but 1/5th the power, and double the size and weight.

    a Seca on helmet and a NR on bar would make a great off-road combo.

    the Philips beam is so precisely shaped that the only time it works properly is when you aim it. 1 minute later it already is misaligned. i re-adjust mine 20-30 times per ride ... on paved road.

    .
    I wouldn't go quite that far. True perhaps if the output is as low as a standard Saferide but if modded with twin XM-L's there is going to be some spill. I would think that might work well on trails as well as long as you are using an additional helmet lamp for spot/throw duties.

    What you said about the phillips beam ...
    the Philips beam is so precisely shaped that the only time it works properly is when you aim it. 1 minute later it already is misaligned. i re-adjust mine 20-30 times per ride ... on paved road.
    ...I take this is a problem with the lamp moving around on the bars but I think it also has to do with the limitations of the beam pattern/lamp design. No matter how you set the lamp there is going to be dead spots, either close in near the bike or beyond the cutoff ( depending on how it is aimed ).

    I've been watching the evolution of German style lamps that use special custom reflectors designed to produce "sculpted road beam patterns". Some of these are getting better. Shouldn't be too long before someone creates one without dead spots/artifacts.

    I'd like to see a road lamp made the following way: two way Sculpted beam pattern ( high/low ) in one package with remote. Hopefully with at least a 600 lumen low and a 1200 lumen high. The high beam would use a separate reflector for additional throw when needed. Done right it could make a lot of people happy. On the other hand if the design is too large ( or too ugly ) no one here ( in USA ) is going to want one.

    In the mean time I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Some of the dynamo set-ups are starting to look real good. I have a feeling by next year I might start experimenting with dynamo lamps just to try something new.

  4. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,234
    In my mind a trail is a shaped path so maybe a shaped beam would be nice. My main interest in trying a build with XMLs and a reflector like the Saferide is to see how the "cutoff" works. Currently all my lights use a round reflector or optic. The resulting beam is a cone shape. When the beam is aimed to illuminate out to about 100 feet, there is a usable spill down to light closer in to the bike. An equal spill goes to the sides which is OK as long as it is not too bright. Last, there is spill upwards that, IMO, is pretty much wasted. I put a shroud on one of my earlier lights that had too wide a beam. It shielded the top entirely and about 50% of the sides. It worked to block that spill but though made of aluminum and polished it mostly blocked the light, instead of directing it forward. That's where the Saferide reflector intrigues me. Take the light that is wasted in side and upward spill and direct it forward. I only want to light up where I am going, not what is above or to the side of me. When I'm on tight twisty trail or switchbacks my helmet light is all I need to light up where I'm going to go. I may find that losing that upward spill might make low branches harder to see, but that's one of the things I want to test.

  5. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    416
    It looks like the new (?) Magicshine eagle has a similar design to the original post
    MAGICSHINE

  6. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: androgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    874
    Quote Originally Posted by HakanC View Post
    Please note:
    I will never buy an ActiveRide light myself, I am more then satisfied with my modified 80 Lux Philips-light.
    With an LFlex and a 7,4V LiION-external battery and 1A through the LEDs I get >120 Lux (verified by my Lux-meter) out of it.


    /Håkan
    SWEDEN
    i know this isn't the DIY forum, but did many people modify their SafeRide ? i thought it was just Penthelman ? did you do the same upgrade as him or did you use your own design ? are there any detailed instructions on the net on how to do this ? or do you simply have to know how to design LED lights on your own ?

    finally - 120 Lux ? is that just a 50% improvement, or is the beam also wider due to larger LEDs ? how much of a boost are you getting ? what about Penthelman, is his also 120 Lux ? do you think simply using two SafeRides would be as bright ?

  7. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,646
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    In my mind a trail is a shaped path so maybe a shaped beam would be nice. My main interest in trying a build with XMLs and a reflector like the Saferide is to see how the "cutoff" works. Currently all my lights use a round reflector or optic. The resulting beam is a cone shape. When the beam is aimed to illuminate out to about 100 feet, there is a usable spill down to light closer in to the bike. An equal spill goes to the sides which is OK as long as it is not too bright. Last, there is spill upwards that, IMO, is pretty much wasted. I put a shroud on one of my earlier lights that had too wide a beam. It shielded the top entirely and about 50% of the sides. It worked to block that spill but though made of aluminum and polished it mostly blocked the light, instead of directing it forward. That's where the Saferide reflector intrigues me. Take the light that is wasted in side and upward spill and direct it forward. I only want to light up where I am going, not what is above or to the side of me. When I'm on tight twisty trail or switchbacks my helmet light is all I need to light up where I'm going to go. I may find that losing that upward spill might make low branches harder to see, but that's one of the things I want to test.
    When mountain biking there are times when the upward spill of the lamp actually does something useful. If you are riding on trails that have roller-coaster sections ( short up/downs sections ) the upward spill helps see what's coming up just before you reach the bottom. Secondly it also helps with seeing the spider webs. For the last couple weeks the spiders where I live have been very active. Must be the season when they get busy. Just last week I was lucky enough to avoid one that was perfectly aligned with my face. I didn't see it till I was almost on top of it. Luckily I was going slow enough to stop in time. After that I started using my helmet light a little more.

    If you ride trails that are not used much the spiders can be a big problem. I'm still trying to figure out how they get their webs to span the distance between trees which at times can be quite wide. You really do have to marvel at nature sometimes. Spiders must have a brain the size of a pin head yet somehow they know how to build a web in a wide area and to catch prey. Simply amazing.

    On a side note; Something I've seen around this time of year that I wondered if anyone else has ever seen. I'm going to call it "floating leaf syndrome". It's when you see a leaf just hanging in the air and not moving. It is really spooky when viewed at night. What it actually is of course is a leaf that has somehow attached itself to a single strand of spider web. When viewed at night the strand of web is almost invisible. I've seen examples of this now on numerous occasions. If a wind is blowing the leaf will spin. Next time I see one I'll stop to take a photo.

  8. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: androgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    874
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    In my mind a trail is a shaped path so maybe a shaped beam would be nice. My main interest in trying a build with XMLs and a reflector like the Saferide is to see how the "cutoff" works. Currently all my lights use a round reflector or optic. The resulting beam is a cone shape. When the beam is aimed to illuminate out to about 100 feet, there is a usable spill down to light closer in to the bike. An equal spill goes to the sides which is OK as long as it is not too bright. Last, there is spill upwards that, IMO, is pretty much wasted. I put a shroud on one of my earlier lights that had too wide a beam. It shielded the top entirely and about 50% of the sides. It worked to block that spill but though made of aluminum and polished it mostly blocked the light, instead of directing it forward. That's where the Saferide reflector intrigues me. Take the light that is wasted in side and upward spill and direct it forward. I only want to light up where I am going, not what is above or to the side of me. When I'm on tight twisty trail or switchbacks my helmet light is all I need to light up where I'm going to go. I may find that losing that upward spill might make low branches harder to see, but that's one of the things I want to test.
    still bad idea. reflector in SafeRide is not 100% efficient. light is lost in reflection. this is why optics are popular - they help you get high lumen numbers, albeit in a useless beam. but as we all know Lupine is junk so all they care about is pointless numbers, not whether the light is of any use or not.

    and reflectance efficiency depends on angle of incidence as well ...

    that's why the new IQ2 system by B&M uses a combination of optics and reflectors.

    hm ...

  9. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: androgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    874
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    When mountain biking there are times when the upward spill of the lamp actually does something useful. If you are riding on trails that have roller-coaster sections ( short up/downs sections ) the upward spill helps see what's coming up just before you reach the bottom. Secondly it also helps with seeing the spider webs. For the last couple weeks the spiders where I live have been very active. Must be the season when they get busy. Just last week I was lucky enough to avoid one that was perfectly aligned with my face. I didn't see it till I was almost on top of it. Luckily I was going slow enough to stop in time. After that I started using my helmet light a little more.

    If you ride trails that are not used much the spiders can be a big problem. I'm still trying to figure out how they get their webs to span the distance between trees which at times can be quite wide. You really do have to marvel at nature sometimes. Spiders must have a brain the size of a pin head yet somehow they know how to build a web in a wide area and to catch prey. Simply amazing.

    On a side note; Something I've seen around this time of year that I wondered if anyone else has ever seen. I'm going to call it "floating leaf syndrome". It's when you see a leaf just hanging in the air and not moving. It is really spooky when viewed at night. What it actually is of course is a leaf that has somehow attached itself to a single strand of spider web. When viewed at night the strand of web is almost invisible. I've seen examples of this now on numerous occasions. If a wind is blowing the leaf will spin. Next time I see one I'll stop to take a photo.
    yeah forget it, the last thing i need is to be smacked in the face by some branch because my light was so efficient it only illuminated the ground ...
    Last edited by androgen; 09-15-2013 at 06:23 AM.

  10. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,646
    Quote Originally Posted by androgen View Post
    still bad idea. reflector in SafeRide is not 100% efficient. light is lost in reflection. this is why optics are popular - they help you get high lumen numbers, albeit in a useless beam. but as we all know Lupine is junk so all they care about is pointless numbers, not whether the light is of any use or not.
    ....
    to quote an ex-president, "There he goes again".

    This begs mentioning of the old proverb, "One mans trash is another mans treasure". It also begs a much newer expression that is much simpler and to the point; ....DUDE!

  11. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: androgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    874
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    It looks like the new (?) Magicshine eagle has a similar design to the original post
    MAGICSHINE
    i saw that light - it isn't very similar. i would say there are 3 categories of lights with respect to beam pattern.

    1 - trash like Lupine and 99% of Chinese lights, which use generic beam patterns not optimized for biking. good for wasting money and blinding yourself while not actually being able to see anything.

    2 - lights that use some sort of gentle optimization by whatever means to slightly tailor the beam to biking needs such as L&M Seca, NiteRider Pro 3600 and 2200. these lights tend to actually be the best. they are bright and their beam is smooth and well placed. they tend to have a very bright hot spot and a wide cone of light and no sharp transition from hotspot to spill but rather a gradual one. as a result one Seca Lumen is worth approximately two Lupine lumens.

    3 - Lights where the beam is 100% shaped to exactly project only where necessary and nowhere else. these lights tend to be severely underpowered, only putting out about 50 to 500 lumens. their beams are OVER optimized to compensate for their extremely low output levels and as a result the beams have jagged edges and are in general not pretty. this category includes Philips Saferide, Dosun D1, D400 and D600, B&M Ixon IQ and Ixon IQ Speed.

    One SafeRide lumen is probably worth 4 Lupine Lumens. So a 300 Lumen SafeRide is about as good as a 1200 Lumen Piko when it comes to the road. however the problem here is that this only works when the light is precisely aimed at a straight road. and in practice this is hard to realize, so i don't recommend these types of lights except when you want minimize glare for others on the road.

    the lights to get are the 2nd category lights - the ones that intellignetly shape the beam, but not to excess, and not at the expense of lower outputs.

    that magicshine of yours looks like it would be somewhere in the 2nd category, but the problem is in the 2nd category there are lights with measured outputs in the 1,500 to 3,000 range, whereas 600 magicshine lumens is probably about 400 real world Lumens which is not much more than 300 real world lumens of SafeRide and SafeRide has much more aggressive beam shaping.

    as compared to the dosun, one of the main reasons i'm looking at it is the external battery, which this magicshine doesn't have.

  12. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by androgen View Post
    i know this isn't the DIY forum, but did many people modify their SafeRide ? i thought it was just Penthelman ? did you do the same upgrade as him or did you use your own design ? are there any detailed instructions on the net on how to do this ? or do you simply have to know how to design LED lights on your own ?
    I know of a few people who have modifed there Philips 80 Lux lights.
    Pethelmans modification is much more advanced then mine, I only replaced the LED driver.
    Its a simple and straightforward modification, read more about it here
    Name:  Philips_med_Lflex.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  51.6 KB
    Philips LED bike light - Page 3
    Philips LED bike light - Page 3


    /Håkan
    SWEDEN

  13. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: androgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    874
    OK i see i'm probably going to skip this option though. Too much work.

    What's that timer in SafeRide you mentioned about 45 minutes or something like that - i never heard about that - what's the deal ?

  14. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by androgen View Post
    What's that timer in SafeRide you mentioned about 45 minutes or something like that - i never heard about that - what's the deal ?
    AFAIK there is no timer like that in the Gen2-version of the Philips-light.

    /Håkan
    SWEDEN

  15. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: androgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    874
    Quote Originally Posted by HakanC View Post
    AFAIK there is no timer like that in the Gen2-version of the Philips-light.

    /Håkan
    SWEDEN
    and how do i know which version i have ?

  16. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by androgen View Post
    and how do i know which version i have ?
    Perhaps You can take a look at the holder?
    Read more here: #26


    /Håkan
    SWEDEN

  17. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: androgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    874
    Quote Originally Posted by HakanC View Post
    Perhaps You can take a look at the holder?
    Read more here: #26

    /Håkan
    SWEDEN

    well then, i have the Generation 1. mine does not have the 3D mount.

    the holder is not the problem. it's the weight of the light that's the problem. the holder would work fine with any other light.

    Dosun weight = 90 gram
    Philips weight = 300 grams

    what do they expect ?

    ActiveRide is a step in the right direction, except for that idiotic dual beam design. Dosun D1 had that design back in 2009 and they discontinued it. Now Philips wants us to think it is a very clever innovation.

    B&M is doing it right with DayTime running lights on their IQ2. The Dosun dynamo version seems to have something similar to IQ2's daylight running lights. The Dosun also has the USB charging port like the top of the line B&M Luxos U.

    apparently the dosun has a screw:



    which can potentially allow you to use your own mount with it, and simply use that screw to screw it to your mount. i think that's a good option to have. with a Philips though that will not work because it is too heavy for ANY mount to hold it.

  18. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    416

    No good

    Quote Originally Posted by androgen View Post
    that magicshine of yours looks like it would be somewhere in the 2nd category, but the problem is in the 2nd category there are lights with measured outputs in the 1,500 to 3,000 range, whereas 600 magicshine lumens is probably about 400 real world Lumens which is not much more than 300 real world lumens of SafeRide and SafeRide has much more aggressive beam shaping.

    as compared to the dosun, one of the main reasons i'm looking at it is the external battery, which this magicshine doesn't have.
    "That magicshine of yours" - what's that supposed to mean? I have no personal connection with magicshine. I was just posting something new that I thought might help you. I don't know why I bothered

    You need to get of your high horse.

    Maybe you haven't noticed, but those cheap Chinese light have ushered in a golden age of night riding. You no longer have to buy hundreds of dollars of lights just to go for a mtb ride on rough singletrack. You can buy 2 lights for $50 - $100 and have more light and longer lasting light than we could have ever dreamed of back in the halogen days. That's what half of the guys on the forum rode with and it was wicked fun. Not being able to see everything was half the fun and trying to interpret all the incoming visual information made you a better rider.

    You put two $400 1700 lumen lights on your helmet and you still don't think it's enough. Your categories are complete nonsense.

  19. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: androgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    874
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    "That magicshine of yours" - what's that supposed to mean? I have no personal connection with magicshine. I was just posting something new that I thought might help you. I don't know why I bothered

    You need to get of your high horse.

    Maybe you haven't noticed, but those cheap Chinese light have ushered in a golden age of night riding. You no longer have to buy hundreds of dollars of lights just to go for a mtb ride on rough singletrack. You can buy 2 lights for $50 - $100 and have more light and longer lasting light than we could have ever dreamed of back in the halogen days. That's what half of the guys on the forum rode with and it was wicked fun. Not being able to see everything was half the fun and trying to interpret all the incoming visual information made you a better rider.

    You put two $400 1700 lumen lights on your helmet and you still don't think it's enough. Your categories are complete nonsense.
    thank you for that valuable insight lol.

  20. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: androgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    874
    well i got an email from the store saying it has shipped ! they gave me some kind of weird tracking system from taiwan but through it was able to get to USPS which shows the status as "Origin Post is Preparing Shipment"

    nice !

    a ship takes about 11-14 days from taiwan, customs take up to 5 days or so, which in my book adds up to 3 weeks, and if the ship is to West coast it may add another week for it to get to the East coast by truck. yet people ( i googled this ) say packages take from 2 days to 2 weeks to get to taiwan depending on shipment method. it doesn't make a lot of sense to me but time will tell.

    i have once ordered something from the UK via Fedex, but i don't think i even ordered from Asia and i don't know what shipping company they used.

    well, technically when i pre-ordered my iPad back in the day it was shipped to me directly from China, so perhaps i did order something from Asia but i don't know what shipping Apple used. it wasn't more than 2 weeks though in case of the iPad.

  21. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: androgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    874
    Oh wow the tracking says it has gone through JFK airport, so they actually shipped it by air. JFK Airport is just 15 miles from here. USPS tracking now says "Processed Through Sort Facility" ...

    well well well ...

    you know it's a bit weird it's the 20th and it already "Processed Through Sort Facility" at New York, NY on the 18th so logically it should have been delivered by now, but so far there is not even a delivery estimate.

    curious ...

  22. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: androgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    874
    well it is here !



    all in all from the date of the order it took 2 weeks to get to me in NYC from Taiwan.

    i ordered from this page:

    Dosun D400 lithium rechargeable front light

    i will do an unboxing video later. first i need to eat

  23. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    416
    I don't think anyone needs an unboxing video. A couple of beamshots would be nice though.

  24. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: androgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    874
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    I don't think anyone needs an unboxing video. A couple of beamshots would be nice though.
    i guess that's why there are millions of unboxing videos on youtube - because nobody needs them.

    i'm not sure where you got the idea that i make my videos personally for you but i'm afraid that is not the case

    i have yet to do a video that people don't watch ...

  25. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: androgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    874
    okay ...



    the unboxing video is up:



    i haven't actually tried the light yet because the battery is still charging ... the tiny AC adapter gets very hot !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Cheap DIY 18650 Lithium Battery Charger
    By t0m in forum Lights DIY - Do It Yourself
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-16-2014, 06:34 PM
  2. Internal battery or external pack?
    By moldau94 in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-17-2013, 11:32 AM
  3. External Battery for GoPro Camera
    By Glynis27 in forum Lights DIY - Do It Yourself
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-28-2012, 06:41 PM
  4. Lithium Ion Battery Question (shelf life)
    By veteran_youth in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-17-2011, 03:00 AM
  5. what is best external battered powered light
    By bardynt in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-11-2011, 08:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •