mtbr member

Does anyone run 2 MS 808s on the bar?

I was thinking of adding a Y cable and a second 808 light head to my setup. Probably need a bigger battery to maintain burn time. Anyone do this? I was thinking I would run the second one as a spot with the OEM lens; my current bar light has the wide-angle lens. I also run a 808 on the helmet.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I run two 808 style clones on my bars, but I use two separate batteries (redundancy is good). I've opted not to use the wide angle lens, but I tend to point one light further out and one closer in. I usually climb with just one light on medium (the closer one), then fire up all my lights (helmet too) for descents.

mtbr member
    Yes, I do:

But you'll probably cook the battery if you connect two 808s with an Y-cable. The combined current draw will be too high.
    When it's 20 below freezing and the snow lays 10 inches deep, bicycle commuting kind of sucks.

mtbr member
    Ragnar.jensen, do you have any beamshots of that setup?

mtbr member
    So 2 batteries is the way to go or just one larger battery?

mtbr member
    I would go for one large, and one smaller for backup, just in case. Really don't want to be left in the dark because defect in battery pack.

mtbr member
    Specifically, which large battery would you run?

mtbr member
    "Large" one for me would definitely be 2S 5.000mAh LiPo, and "small" one would be 2S 18650.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Specifically, which large battery would you run?
    You need to check out the "BAK Batteries" thread. Leonard is doing runtime tests with the set-up your considering (2 MS 808e lightheds using a y-cable).
    Mole

mtbr member
    Yes, I think two batteries is the way to go.
    I quote from the Caring for your Magicshine battery document from Action Led Lights:

"The 18650 cells used in the MagicShine battery packs are limited to 2.2A (amps). Because the pack has 2 pair in series/parallel it can deliver 4.4A. The MagicShine MJ-808 draws up to 2A, the MJ-816 3A. From these figures you can see that running 2 lights off one battery by way of a Y-cable is pushing the limits of the pack and will shorten their life. Additionally, as the battery ages its current capacity drops. When running 2 headlights it is best to use 2 battery packs. This also provides a redundant light source when you’re on that deep woods trail or out on a country road."

If you run two light heads from one battery, you might be stressing it a bit too much.

--
    Ragnar
    When it's 20 below freezing and the snow lays 10 inches deep, bicycle commuting kind of sucks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobale View Post
    Ragnar.jensen, do you have any beamshots of that setup?
    No, not at the moment. If I find the time, I'll drag a bike with some lights and a camera out during the weekend...

--
    Ragnar

mtbr member
    Thank you, that would be great. My second light is on its way, and I'm planning on running the same setup as you. Only I don't yet have Winde angle lens.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I was thinking of adding a Y cable and a second 808 light head to my setup. Probably need a bigger battery to maintain burn time. Anyone do this? I was thinking I would run the second one as a spot with the OEM lens; my current bar light has the wide-angle lens. I also run a 808 on the helmet.
    While 2 batteries is the safe way to use 2 lightheads with the least amount of problems, it's major drawback is weight.If I remember correctly your lights sere P7 808s with Geoman batteries (please correct me if I'm wrong ), so for the tandum bar set-up your looking at 750+ grams on the front of the bike. Mounting the batteries towards the middle of the bike helps balanace the weight out but IMO the added visability isn't worth the weight gain.

Running a y-cable can cause some battery related issues. My only problems using a y-cable were with Geoman batteries so unless you plan on getting a different/larger battery you'll probably have the same issues (mostly the battery power level light on the back of the lighthead is red most of the time and having to lower lamp intensity to use up the last 20% of the battery charge).

So you can buy a new light set and run two batteries and put up with the weight increase, or buy a new lighthead, y-cable, and a different/bigger battery (I'm assuming you won't be happy with the runtimes or performance using a Groman battery w/y-cable), or you could spend a little more and buy a Gemini Duo lighthead and use your current batterys (this lighthead works better than any other I've tried with Geoman batteries) and have lighter system than you have now with better power.

1) New MS808 lightset: $70 combined lux - approx 80 weight - 750+ gram

2) New light (808)
    + 6 cell battery & y-cable: $100 combined lux - approx 80 weight - 550+ gram

3) Duo lightheade $116 lux 110 (2013 MTBR rating) weight - 366 gram

I'm don't want to talk you out of trying the dual front light set-up if that's what you want to do but if all you want is better performance (more light), option 3 makes more sense to me.
    Mole

mtbr member
    MRMOLE, thanks for the advice, well taken. I think the weight would piss me off. I agree, a Duo seems to be the way to go. Where have you seen a Duo lighthead for $116? And to clarify, this light does work with the Geoman batteries?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    MRMOLE, thanks for the advice, well taken. I think the weight would piss me off. I agree, a Duo seems to be the way to go. Where have you seen a Duo lighthead for $116? And to clarify, this light does work with the Geoman batteries?
    Action LED Lights has Gemini products on sale right now (at the bottom of the Duo page it has a lighthead only option). Initially I was sceptical about the Duo/Geoman battery campatibility sinse they didn't work to well with my Xera/Olympia lightheads but someone else did a runtime with no issues so I tried it too and was able to use all the bateries capacity. I got 3hrs 5min out of my 6.0 which would be 2hrs 15min if you has the 4400s. One of the nice things about the Duo (Xera/Olympia too) is that you can easily program the power level if you need a little more runtime (much nicer that presets). If you buy this lighthead do yourself a favor and try different combinations.
    Lately I've found that I really don't need a superbright bar light as long as it has a nice wide beam I'm fine. If I were running this set-up, I'd use the Duo as a helmet light (low weight's even better here) and run your 808 w/wide angle lens on your bars. I know light set-up is personal preference but I recommend you give this a try.
    Mole

mtbr member

Beam shots

OK, I braved the cold, it's -16C (3F) at the moment, and dragged a bike with lights and a camera out.

First my Magicshines. These are the original MJ-808 with the SSC P7 LED.

I also have a pair of Xeccon - CREE XML T6 - lights. I'm not sure of the model. I have put a wide angle lens on one of them,but I'm not sure I like it.
    I feel that the narrow megathrower beam doesn't fare as well with the wide angle treatment.

And, just for fun, my commuting light.

--
    Ragnar

mtbr member
    First of all, I tip my hat to you, sir. By mine standards -16*C is pretty damn freezing, and you went out and took those pics. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnar.jensen View Post
    I feel that the narrow megathrower beam doesn't fare as well with the wide angle treatment.
    Well, as I'll have two similar lights with XM-L that's as good as it will get. Wide angled XM-L still beats one with SMO reflector. It's as near as useless with that tight beam.

mtbr member

I also have a pair of Xeccon - CREE XML T6 - lights. I'm not sure of the model. I have put a wide angle lens on one of them,but I'm not sure I like it.
    --
    Ragnar
    Thanks for braving the cold and providing the beam shots. The beam pattern suggest it's the S12 T6 version. The S14 with OP reflector has different pattern and would work better with wide angle lens.
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeccon View Post
    Thanks for braving the cold and providing the beam shots. The beam pattern suggest it's the S12 T6 version. The S14 with OP reflector has different pattern and would work better with wide angle lens.
    Yes, S12 is what I'm thinking too. There's no model designation on it, but it has the smooth reflector.
    And don't get me wrong, I don't think it's bad with the wide angle lens. It works well enough out on the single-track. Maybe I just got spoiled by the wide swathes of light from the MJ-808 and the Dinotte

--
    Ragnar

mtbr member
    Yes, S12 is what I'm thinking too. There's no model designation on it, but it has the smooth reflector.
    And don't get me wrong, I don't think it's bad with the wide angle lens. It works well enough out on the single-track. Maybe I just got spoiled by the wide swathes of light from the MJ-808 and the Dinotte

--
    Ragnar
    No, you are correct Ragnar, the MS and Dinotte work better with wide angle in this scenario. The S12 as you noted as well is designed for throw. We can see light throw is cut short with the wide angle lens. Please refer to the red box I added to your beamshot of the S12 standard. When the wide angle was fitted to it, the light did not reach that far. The high intensity throw must now deflect sideways through the lens giving us that funny looking flood.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Does anyone run 2 MS 808s on the bar?-xeccon_xml_t6-standard.jpg  

Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com