mtbr member
    Aug 2009

does anyone recognise this light? does it look well thought out?

GeoMan
    Yes this appears to be a triple XP-G, copy of the Bike Ray III, we noticed it appeared on the web about a month ago

Quote Originally Posted by 9speed
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    optics look different though... the reflectors are merged rather than seperate like the bike ray III... and it fixes with an o ring rather than a bracket....

GeoMan
    True, it looks like they set the emitters back further in the lighthead than the Ray III and then used a different optic. The Ray III optic is very similar to a Lupine.

optics look different though... the reflectors are merged rather than seperate like the bike ray III... and it fixes with an o ring rather than a bracket....
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I like the fact that the XPG R-5's are now up to 400 lumens each.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Maybe FC can get a lux reading on this as well.

I'm skeptical of the 400L each rating or maybe I just don't know enough. I wouldn't be surprised if this really measures around 800 lumens.

What's the lumen rating on the BikeRay 3.

MB

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Was been sarcastic,as Lupine is top of the line and rates each of their XPG's at 275 lumens out the front.Just found it funny, kind of like the fish i caught story. Every time i tell it, the fish gets bigger.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt
    Actually the R-5's can deliver near 400 lumens if driven around 1.5 - 1.4A. Likely where they get the 1200 lumen rating, however I doubt they are driving the LED's that hard. Real output is likely around 900 to 1000lm.

I can't help but wonder though what beam pattern this triple reflector array puts out. I've seen torches with reflectors similar to this light and those had pretty good throw. This light just might be a hidden gem among the clones if it has decent throw. I would love to see a beam photo from one of these. Tempting, very tempting. Anyway, FWIW....these are made in China as well as the other types....( Link )

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt
    Yes aren't you clever! Good boy. Put your helmet on.

Newsflash, Lupine's P7 aint 900 lumen either.

I don't give a **** for theoretical maximums or marketing nonsense.. just whether a triple XPG can throw as well as a P7....

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    Actually the R-5's can deliver near 400 lumens if driven around 1.5 - 1.4A. Likely where they get the 1200 lumen rating, however I doubt they are driving the LED's that hard. Real output is likely around 900 to 1000lm.

I can't help but wonder though what beam pattern this triple reflector array puts out. I've seen torches with reflectors similar to this light and those had pretty good throw. This light just might be a hidden gem among the clones if it has decent throw. I would love to see a beam photo from one of these. Tempting, very tempting. Anyway, FWIW....these are made in China as well as the other types....( Link )
    Everyuthing is made in China. Taiwan is pretty much China. Everything you are wearing is made in China. Your bike is probably mostly China/Taiwan.

That's why our houses cost a fortune, and no one has a proper job any longer.

Even the damn Lupine, is mostly Far Eastern origin....

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yes aren't you clever! Good boy. Put your helmet on.

Newsflash, Lupine's P7 aint 900 lumen either.

I don't give a **** for theoretical maximums or marketing nonsense.. just whether a triple XPG can throw as well as a P7....

Your pretty clever as well 9speed,since Lupine only claims 700 on their Tesla!! Oh, and i was replying to mb323323.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Everyuthing is made in China. Taiwan is pretty much China. Everything you are wearing is made in China. Your bike is probably mostly China/Taiwan.

That's why our houses cost a fortune, and no one has a proper job any longer.

Even the damn Lupine, is mostly Far Eastern origin....

shhhhh its supposed to be a secret dont let them know...

GeoMan
    The Ray III is rated by the manufacturer at 1200 lumens, of course this is theoretical maximum, we think closer to 900-1000 is more realistic. The throw on the Ray III with the 20 degree lens isn't quite as good as the hotspot on the P7 but the output is more dispersed and works nicely on the bars with a P7 on the helmet. We'd like to try a 15 degree lens on the Ray III for the helmet. The Ray III lighthead weighs only 128 grams so it is approx 20% heavier than the MS 900. We have been testing these for a few months and have been impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by mb323323
    Maybe FC can get a lux reading on this as well.

I'm skeptical of the 400L each rating or maybe I just don't know enough. I wouldn't be surprised if this really measures around 800 lumens.

What's the lumen rating on the BikeRay 3.

MB
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    These lights are produced by a company called HK Starlights in Shenzen. They supplied me for a while with anodized MS 900 copies. But their QC was pretty poor. I gave them feedback to change their design and maybe investigate the 3 x XPG light.....so I guessed they listened! Also suggested that they alter their design to make the cord come from the back of the light....I see they ignored that.

Cheers

Bruce
    www.glowormlites.co.nz
    NEW ZEALAND

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Ok I'll stay away then!

Thanks!