mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Does anyone have this light?

Blackburn Flea 2.0 USB/Solar Rear Taillight I looked using the search function and didn't find any reviews so I thought I'd ask. I already ordered it, so if no one replies I'll do one after living with it for 6 months. My main concern is are the batteries replaceable. Also I hope it's BRIGHT!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAVAGESAM View Post
    Blackburn Flea 2.0 USB/Solar Rear Taillight I looked using the search function and didn't find any reviews so I thought I'd ask. I already ordered it, so if no one replies I'll do one after living with it for 6 months. My main concern is are the batteries replaceable. Also I hope it's BRIGHT!
    I've looked at the Blackburn Flea's in the stores and they look like nice lights. Not as bright as some others but certainly bright enough to get you seen. I like the fact that they are compact. One of these would work well on back of a helmet. I would of bought one but I already have enough rear lights at the moment.

Interesting that they are offer this now with a solar charger. To me that almost makes this worth buying just to get the solar charger which would undoubtedly work with other USB charged devices as well ( as long as the plug matches ).

As far as the self-contained battery goes I wouldn't worry about that so much. Buy it from REI and you get a lifetime guarantee, no questions asked. As for the solar charger, basically just a gimmick selling point. No one would really want to use a solar charger to charge something because it takes so long. Now if a solar event knocks out the world wide electrical grid you'll still be able to charge your blinkie....although if such a thing really happened, it would be the least of your worries.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks my Two Wheeled Brother. I wished I'd know about the REI guarantee before I pulled the online switch. I bought it (along with, imo a really nice rack bag made by Topeak) from a company called Outside Outfitters. The price on the bag was the best I could find. Thanks for the reply C-M-D.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    UPDATE: The light was back ordered, SO I ordered the newer one. No solar charger (which I probably would never use) but supposed to be the brightest rear light they have. Waiting for the U.P.S. driver to ring the bell as I type this. Does anyone out there have the "New" rear safety light yet? I tried to post a link but the www.blackburndesign.com says it's down.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    UPDATE: The light was back ordered, SO I ordered the newer one. No solar charger (which I probably would never use) but supposed to be the brightest rear light they have. Waiting for the U.P.S. driver to ring the bell as I type this. Does anyone out there have the "New" rear safety light yet? I tried to post a link but the www.blackburndesign.com says it's down.
    .....Well, Crickets. So I guess I'll do a review when it gets here.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    i bought the 'regular' one a few weeks ago, without the solar charger.

i do not know if i have the 'newer' one.

BUT, the one i do have is great!!!

small, compact and plenty bright for what i believe i need

i have it installed using the supplied velcro thingy wrapped around my seat post.

i actually think i want to try and mount it to my helmet.

unfortunately, i bought it at the trek store where i bought my bike, i try to get something from that store at least once a month or so, and paid full retail.

other than that... i like it is small, fairly bright and rechargeable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JAvendan View Post
    i bought the 'regular' one a few weeks ago, without the solar charger.

i do not know if i have the 'newer' one.

BUT, the one i do have is great!!!

small, compact and plenty bright for what i believe i need

i have it installed using the supplied velcro thingy wrapped around my seat post.

i actually think i want to try and mount it to my helmet.

unfortunately, i bought it at the trek store where i bought my bike, i try to get something from that store at least once a month or so, and paid full retail.

other than that... i like it is small, fairly bright and rechargeable.
    Right on! Hey there's NOTHING wrong with supporting your L.B.S.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Right on! Hey there's NOTHING wrong with supporting your L.B.S.
    oh, for sure!!!

they just moved a bunch closer to me and i want to do my part to keep them local

they are great and every time i bring in my bike for something stoopid they take care of me - ha!

joel