Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

DIY batteries for MagicShine

Anyone care to share where you got the batteries, how much you paid and how long a charge youre getting on your DIY MagicShine battery packs. Also, what charger youre using......

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Batteryspace.com or All-battery.com any 7.4 volt lithium ion 18650 pack would work and you could use the magicshine charger.

You could also pick up a 6xAA holder and run it with rechargeable batteries NiMH and an appropriate charger from either site.

The best thing about the magic shine was the ease of setting up your own aftermarket battery. Too many companies use proprietary connectors or drives in the battery pack. The MS lights will be happy with any 7.2 or 7.4 volt battery set up.

Run times will depend upon the mAh of the pack. The original pack is rated at around 4400 mAh.

The 6xAA would be around 2500 mAh depending upon what cells you buy.

You could also use 6x C cell or D cell holder as well.

Lot's of options.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

www.airbornemtb.org
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    I understand that engineering has value in and of itself. But in the end, it's still just a pile of aluminum tubes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I prefer flat lithium polymer over 18650 cells. I'm currently using my other hobby (racing RC cars) as power for my lights and I put all my RC chargers to good use.

My 2S battery packs can range from 2700 mAh to over 6000 mAh with battery weights ranging from a little over 200 g to about 320 grams.

Unlike the 18650's the current draw of the light doesn't even come close to stressing the battery. Cycle life is greatly increase. A good lithium polymer can exceed 1000 complete charge/discharge cycles where more of 18650 don't surpass 300.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY batteries for MagicShine-1416.jpg  

DIY batteries for MagicShine-1418.jpg  

DIY batteries for MagicShine-1419.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The only question I have about LiPo cells is how dangerous they are on a bike. They have been known to explode, and all kinds of things can happen to them while riding?

www.airbornemtb.org
    Quote Originally Posted by dmalovic
    The only question I have about LiPo cells is how dangerous they are on a bike. They have been known to explode, and all kinds of things can happen to them while riding?
    ive heard the same th ing about charging them, they have to be laid flat or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    I understand that engineering has value in and of itself. But in the end, it's still just a pile of aluminum tubes.

Its got what plants crave
    I am thinking that if someone made an idiot proof 4 cell holder that was a plug and play for the Magicshine it would sell like hotcakes. It would be awesome to be able to just replace the dead cells, and the cells are so cheap at DX you could have a dozen battery packs if you wanted.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    So does a higher mAh automatically equal longer run times?

Also, is the MS connector a propietary design or is it a commonly available one? If commonly available whats it called?

mtbr member
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.32751
    here the connector just splice and solder the cord to the battery pack
    here is the battery Ive been pondering as a replacement
    http://www.all-battery.com/squareli-...onnectors.aspx
    should give you a longer burn time than the stock MS battery
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    I am thinking that if someone made an idiot proof 4 cell holder that was a plug and play for the Magicshine it would sell like hotcakes. It would be awesome to be able to just replace the dead cells, and the cells are so cheap at DX you could have a dozen battery packs if you wanted.
    this one is the closest I know of so far. Pre-wired in the right 2S2P configuration and with a protection circuit. You still need to splice in the connectors and find a way to cover and attach it though

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    So with any of these batteries it would be safe to use to MS charger right?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by newnan3
    So with any of these batteries it would be safe to use to MS charger right?
    No...

Quote Originally Posted by odtexas
    Batteryspace.com or All-battery.com any 7.4 volt lithium ion 18650 pack would work and you could use the magicshine charger.

mtbr member
    ODtexas would the pack I posted work with the MS charger otherwise I will just get a new charger
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman
    ODtexas would the pack I posted work with the MS charger
    That should work just fine.

You can also order the split Y cable from Geomangear still it looks like. Then use it on the new battery packs. You could build two with the Y cable.
    That way you are not "voiding" whatever warranty replacement that may be worked out in the future on the original MS batteries.

The connector is a normal size available at various online sites. I just can't remember the exact size anymore. It is in a thread somewhere here..............

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by odtexas
    The connector is a normal size available at various online sites. I just can't remember the exact size anymore. It is in a thread somewhere here..............
    It's a standard 5.5mm od x 2.1mm id DC power connector. You can get the Y cables for $3.53 EA shipped if you're not in a hurry. Each one is enough for two packs and an extra light cable.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.32752
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Is there a particular charger you guys would recommend? How can I tell if I can use the MS charger?

The batt pack that Rakuman posted looks promising..........

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by newnan3
    Is there a particular charger you guys would recommend? How can I tell if I can use the MS charger?

The batt pack that Rakuman posted looks promising..........
    I have a Thunder AC6 charger. Works great with lots of features and a relatively low price.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    +1. At ~$50 each (?) I'd buy two. I'm new to this game, but I'm surprised there aren't several plug-and-play alternatives already.

Tree Crasher
    Just the other day I figured if GeoMan doesn't come around selling the MS light kits anytime soon, I'll just buy the 900 & 1400 lights (and cables) and diy the battery and charger. I've never owned a MS so I don't even know what the batteries were rated at.

Thnx all for the posts and keep em coming.
    CRAP... I'm in the wrong gear

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancemac
    +1. At ~$50 each (?) I'd buy two. I'm new to this game, but I'm surprised there aren't several plug-and-play alternatives already.
    Is my only option really DIY? Are you people going to force me to finally learn basic electronics?

I'm actually not too worried about the OEM Magic Shine battery. But I am interested in a spare, a) just in case something does go awry, and b) in case I end up doing a 24hr race this year.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    My original MS battery pack barely lasts 45min after about a year. I didn't use it that much and charged it after every ride. I bought a "new" one on fleabay but it's bunk. I think it might last 15min longer that my old one.

I first started with DX torches and bought quite a few protected cells on DX over a year ago. They're still going strong. Once I saw the digikey packs I picked some up and made this.

It's a 2x3 holder and it works great with protected cells. I like that if one cell dies I don't have to replace the whole pack and I can monitor each cell individually with a volt meter. I can run it with 2, 4 or 6 cells. I have a few of the 4 cell holders and plan on making more packs for myself.

The holders are attached with 2 zip ties on each side. I soldered a wire at the top and soldered the connectors at the bottom. Then wrapped an old tube around the pack. So far so good.

The cost of the project was something like this:
    digikey holders from $2.11 to $2.78
    Receptacle for MS light $2.28
    +$5 s/h
    Batteries, soldering iron, wire, tube I had.

I'm your density
    ^^^norcom, what kind of run times are you seeing on the 2x3?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Does anyone know if the battery packs that Light and Go are selling will work with Magic Shine? Are the connectors compatible? The site has no specs that I could find. I'd love one of these six-packs for longer rides:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancemac
    Does anyone know if the battery packs that Light and Go are selling will work with Magic Shine? Are the connectors compatible? The site has no specs that I could find. I'd love one of these six-packs for longer rides:
    Light and Go is a MagicShine dealer. The battery isn't necessarily any different or less prone to the same problems. They are also a dealer for another manufacturer (WonderBike) so maybe the batteries come from them but that's not garuanteed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast