mtbr member

Dinotte XML3 versus NiteRider Pro 1800 Race

OK this light is supposed to be a SUPER-DUPER-BLINKY

* both lights blink at 100% power, and both lights are about 1500 Lumen measured output.

* NiteRider is 3 X XML, the Dinotte is 3 X XM-L2

* Both lights have multiple blink sequences, although Dinotte has better ones

* even though both lights are about same output and come with 4 cell battery the Dinotte manages 2.5 hours while NiteRider only 1.5 hours of run time - not sure why that is, but Dinotte is the newer light with newer LEDs, and also optics are probably more efficient than reflectors, or maybe it is because Dinotte has better cooling ...

* NR is $297. Dinotte is $229 despite being new 2013 light whereas niterider is an older light with last generation LEDs.

* NR has a better helmet mount solution, which i will never use ...

* NR has a ridiculously beefy bar mount, whereas Dinotte mount is only OK however for a blinky i think handlebar mount chatter should be the LAST thing to worry about ...

* Dinotte is much lighter yet has much better cooling

* Dinotte has a better battery connector

* NiteRider has really nice battery level indicator that shows battery life in 8 steps - this is Lupine-Grade feature. Dinotte doesn't have that.

* NiteRider button is conveniently located on top and is easy to press ( i had a very similar NR Pro before ). the Dinotte button is in the back, which is slightly more awkward, to press while riding.

* Dinotte beam shape is good, but NiteRider is better.

* NiteRider has a Quick Release mount

* NiteRider mount is low profile center-mount. Dinotte is neither.

-------------------------

well what do you think ?

mtbr member
    check out that NiteRider beam. NICE !

Last edited by androgen; 10-02-2013 at 07:06 AM.

mtbr member
    OK i finally found the relevant beam shots. The beam shots are for NR 1500 but i assume 1800 is the same more or less.

Dinotte:

NiteRider:

Seca:

from these images i gather that NR has the same width as the Seca, but less throw. the Seca is obviously a better light, but that doesn't make it a better blinky - because it blinks at only 1/4 power. i tried it today at night and i could barely see the blinking over the street lights. i also ran two Secas both in blink and even at 800 lumen blink it still was pretty mild unless i aimed it down in front of me then it popped, but aimed towards the horizon ( as i intend to run the blinky ) the light sort of disappeared into nowhere ...

so from the screen shots it looks like from an angle both NR and Seca are equally bright, with NR maybe taking a slight edge, but dead-on the NR is significantly dimmer than Seca - which is actually good for a blinky ! because if the Seca was run at 100% power it would be way too blinding head-on. on the other hand extra width is always good, and NR has it. in other words the NR beam seems very well suited towards blinky use - it is very bright over a wide angle without being too bright in the center, but definitely bright enough.

the Dinotte pattern on the other hand seems to be quite bad for blinky use. this XML-3 would be a great helmet light. compared to NR the XML-3 is much brighter ( more blinding ) in the center, yet much narrower ( less coverage ). as i said this would be great for a helmet "torch" but with the blinky i actually want wide coverage without a blinding hotspot, because i want to aim it horizontally straight ahead, not tilt it down.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I think you need to stop making threads about the same stupid subject. You're clogging up this entire forum with threads that have nothing to do with mountain biking. Enough already!

Moderators, is there no limit to how many non-relevant threads one guy can make in a week?

mtbr member
    added you to ignore list.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'll just have to cry myself to sleep tonight.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Varider is right that this shouldn't have merited a new thread, especially since you are only interested in the flash properties. It should have just stayed in the thread about blinky lights. You should consider consolidating your threads since your intended purpose and overall goal is rather specific. I thought that's what the intention of the 'starting from scratch' thread was? Good luck in whatever you decide.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    You're clogging up this entire forum with threads that have nothing to do with mountain biking. Enough already!
    +1.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Androgen, you seeing the blink over the street lights while riding the bike is not that important. It is more important that your blinky is seen while standing far away and looking in the direction of the bike. You might be surprised how easy it is even in direct sunlight. Put yourself off the bike and in the position of the pedestrian/car driver to get full effect. Have whoever you get to normally record your videos to ride your bike while you actually observe.
    Last edited by cue003; 10-02-2013 at 02:25 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    I'll just have to cry myself to sleep tonight.
    IMO, A badge of honor! You have joined an elite group.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steelhmr View Post
    Varider is right that this shouldn't have merited a new thread, especially since you are only interested in the flash properties. It should have just stayed in the thread about blinky lights. You should consider consolidating your threads since your intended purpose and overall goal is rather specific. I thought that's what the intention of the 'starting from scratch' thread was? Good luck in whatever you decide.
    the ability to split or combine threads is a feature in forum software, that is available to moderators. if the mods decide they want to combine the threads there will be nothing i could do to stop them.

the reason i decided to do a separate thread is because i wanted to let the old one die, so that everybody seeing the discussion for the first time wouldn't have to read through the first couple posts which are no longer relevant.

think of the way nature works - people get old and die, and their children live on. you might say - that was silly of nature ! nature should have simply made people live forever instead of having children ! but that would actually be inefficient. the same for cells inside our body - they constantly die and get replaced by new ones. the whole of our body or our society or forum is kept healthy by letting the old die and be replaced by the new.

the "starting from scratch" thread is like a diary. it was just a regular thread at first, but now i see it as a place to document important changes to the setup or important observations about it. i don't want to "clog it up" ( in the words of varider ) with musings about potential changes that only have a low probability of materializing.

mtbr member
    sorry, i just need to post some beam shots before i lose them, because it takes too much time to dig them up again:

observations i was able to make from these shots:

1 - NiteRider beam is wider than Dinotte, considerably so.
    2 - NiteRider beam gets steadily wider from 750 to 1500 to 3000 lumen lights, and the difference is not subtle.
    3 - there is a subtle difference between NR Lumina and NR Pro of same output, with the pro being more even and Lumina having more of a hotspot. that's because Lumina is meant as a commuter light, so it has a more road-oriented beam pattern, whereas pro is more train oriented so it has more nearfield and less throw. it could also be because Lumina also has lower output models whereas the NR Pro 750 is the lowest, so it would make sense that it doesn't need a hotspot as much as Luminas because it has higher output to begin with, except for the top of the line Lumina which matches it output, but might share the reflectors with the lower output ones.

whatever the rationale, it is clear that NR Pro 750 has less of a hotspot than Lumina 650. i know this is hard to make out from the pics i posted here, but it is evident if you go to Light & Motion site and see the shots they have there. i'm too tired right now to screen-capture them, and upload as attachments or to flickr.

NR Lumina 650

NR Pro 750

NR PRO 1500

NR Pro 3000

Dinotte XML3

Dinotte 400L

NR Pro 750

NR Pro 1500

NR Pro 3000